home

Author Topic: Contrast Paint  (Read 8808 times)

Offline JAK

• Members
Contrast Paint
« on: May 15, 2019, 07:57:20 PM »
Did anyone manage to get to Warhammer Fest UK last weekend and try this new Contrast Paint?

Does it work?

Is it any good?

I’ve read a couple of articles and seen a few pictures but nothing’s convinced me yet that it’s anymore than a glorified wash and other than a slight gain in speed is no better than the block and dip method of achieving a table top standard.

So does anyone have actual experience and know the truth.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Contrast Paint
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 11:12:59 AM »
I too am interested.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 12:30:43 PM »
So does anyone have actual experience and know the truth.
The truth is out there!
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 04:19:55 PM »
To contrast or not to contrast, that is the question? :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 10:31:06 PM »
Look like a thick, high-pigment wash.

It'll probably be decent unless used as a crutch.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 10:38:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdg5fOuWLYo here is a demo of the paints, I think they look good? we will see 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 06:13:36 AM »
Basically, if you have diluted your paints and made your own washes before, and enjoy layering with very thin coats of paint and washes, then you already do what these paints allow you to do.

If you like to get good coverage with rather thick layers of paint, you maybe don't need the new paint range.

If you're anywhere in between and would like to try the method, this should be an excellent product that allows you to try out new techniques straight from the bottle. I think the use of these new paints is technique-specific, and might requrie you to adjust your painting habits.

I've understood there are a couple of recent paint ranges from other manufacturers/Kickstarters which basically do the same. Can't remember the brands now.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 06:57:50 AM »
Well Duncan is crying in a corner because of this... there his motto of 2 thin layers went straight out of the window  :biggriin:
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 11:20:59 AM »
I think I've used a similar, home made version of this in the past. I essentially mixed P3 inks, with vallejo glaze medium and a tiny drop of paint, to produce this very fluid wash, that went into recesess, created a smooth transition and did not affect the raised areas as much as GW shades/glazes do. It was very difficult to mix though as it often came out too glossy, or too thin etc. Gonna try this out, have something like 70 skeleton warriors that I would love to do without much hassle lol.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Von Zorn

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 09:34:50 PM »
The contrast paint looks interesting. I am curious to see how it deals with anything less than a perfectly neat paintjob. What I mean is, if the paint self-shades then will the effect not be a bit messed up if you happen to make a few mistakes that need going over later? Imagine for example you're painting a yellow and black combo on a model, and some black gets onto the yellow during painting. If you go back over the yellow will you have to go over the whole lot to retain the shading, or will the paint handle doing the odd bit of spot-painting here and there?

Hope that made sense...

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 03:08:19 PM »
The contrast paint looks interesting. I am curious to see how it deals with anything less than a perfectly neat paintjob. What I mean is, if the paint self-shades then will the effect not be a bit messed up if you happen to make a few mistakes that need going over later? Imagine for example you're painting a yellow and black combo on a model, and some black gets onto the yellow during painting. If you go back over the yellow will you have to go over the whole lot to retain the shading, or will the paint handle doing the odd bit of spot-painting here and there?

Hope that made sense...

Probably case by case. Likely you will need to redo the yellow section rather than just a spot.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »
Besides being effective and easy, one of the benefits of washing in my experience is its ability to cover up mistakes. Maybe this will do the same.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 03:50:03 PM »
It's amazing how much of a difference a good wash makes. I suspect this is similar to GW straight up making their own washes. Sure you can make them yourself, and it's not that hard, but this simplifies the process and makes things easier for the more casual painter.

I'm certainly interested.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 04:50:12 PM »
As long as I can still buy Agrax Earthshade I don't much care  :icon_wink:

Offline Von Zorn

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 11:42:34 PM »
Probably case by case. Likely you will need to redo the yellow section rather than just a spot.

I think you're right. It probably won't work for me as I can be quite a messy painter in the early stages and tend to clean up mistakes towards the end. Still, looks promising for a lot of people!

Offline Brother Sutek

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 01:35:19 PM »
Looks interesting but I doubt I'll pick it up. I already use washes and unless someone can really sell this as useful to me I don't need it.
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 08:22:47 AM »
I'm sure to pick up some of these!
As I heard the flesh tones are really amazing and for so many small heads going around in my empire that will save so much time and hassle! Same for all the tunics with all the crevices.

As for my T'au I'm not so sure if I can find an application for it as I already got a paint scheme and don't want to have to big of a difference going around plus with my camo scheme I'm not sure that will work out how I would intend to.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 03:24:37 PM »
From the video Zak posted above, seems like it could work for folks looking to get sci fi figures on the table quickly, and painting monsters, alhtough for fancy Napoleonic Hussars, probably not.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 07:45:00 AM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/05/23/contrast-meet-the-rangegw-homepage-post-2fw-homepage-post-2/

Some very nice applications shown here, I like the contrast paint on top of metallic base

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 12:13:30 PM »
GW have just launched a new web site which they think is Your Ultimate Online Painting Resource

https://citadelcolour.com/   

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 02:26:30 PM »
I thin every layer i use , using water, so in essence have been doing my own contrast paints ,

but will try some ready made ones, from GW  soon , Ha
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 05:43:01 PM »
I am looking forward to them.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 02:54:31 PM »
I am looking forward to them.

me to  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2019, 08:23:19 PM »
This picture is getting shared around reddit and thought folks here might like to see the comparison.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2019, 08:41:08 PM »
Seems like relatively minimal differences, although might just be how the picture is coming out.