home

Author Topic: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise) - Thread Superseded!!!  (Read 109989 times)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise) - Thread Superseded!!!
« on: November 08, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »
UPDATE!
Please note that this thread will no longer be added to as it has been superseded by other threads in my grand reorganization. Check my signature for links, but - for now - check out my plog of completed projects

I will not delete the pictures from this thread, but it is possible attrition etc. will remove them over time.

The Order of the Eightfold Cross of Melite
An Empire Knightly Order Plog

Fluff

Grand Master
Vladimir Hunyadi

Celestial Hurricanum

War Altar

Pistoliers

Knights

Cannon Minotaur

Helblaster Minotaur

Mortar Minotaur

Sphinxes

Luminark of Hysh

Please use the above links to jump to specific models in my plogs - some of the links go to separate threads, others to parts of this one. Generally speaking, the links mark the beginning of the posts about that model.

Planned Army List
Green = "Painted"
Orange = "Built only"
Yellow = "Parts purchased"
Black = "Planned"

Grand Master Pics
2 x Priestesses of Fire & Light (count as Mounted Wizards) Pic
Battle Standard Bearer Pic
Unit of Inner Circle Knights (10) Pic
Unit of regular Knights (8) Pic
Unit of "Sons of the Maiden" (Great Weapon Knights) (8) Pic Pic
Captain and Female Archlector / TGM to go in the above unit
Unit of female Knights (8)
2 x units of Pistoliers (5 ea)
Pic
Unit of Pistoliers (5) Pic
War Altar with High Priestess Specific thread
Unit of Greatswords (39 + Priestess) Pic
2 x detachments of Swordsmen (20 ea) Pic Pic
Unit of Crossbowmen (10) Pic
Warrior-Priestess on Bronze Bull Pic
Unit of Ogre Maneaters (4) Pic
Unit of Ladies of Battle (heavy armor swordswomen), Warrior Priestess & Avatar of Myrmidia (7x3 footprint)
Unit of skirmishing female archers (14)
Pic
Unit of Spearmen ("Amazon Hoplites") (23 + Priestess) carrying Haruspica unit filler Pic of Priestess Pic of Haruspica
Giant bronze bull (scratch-built counts-as Steam Tank)
Cyclops (scratch-built counts-as SoM Giant)
Extensively converted Lumminark of Hysh (Specific thread)
Extensively converted Hurricanium (Specific thread)
Sphinx-riders (counts-as Demigryph Knights) (Pic)
Great Cannon, Mortar & Hellblaster (modelled as Minotaurs in hoplite armor and Corinthian helm carrying the cannons, with attendant loaders etc.) Pic Pic Pic
Unit of 5 Outriders

Allied Altdorf contingent

Mounted Gold Wizard
Unit of College Knights (8) (very nearly finished) Pic
Peripatetic Engineer on Mechanical Steed

And here are some pictures of models I had painted five years or so ago. (click for larger image)

The original general (who has now been demoted to a leader of a unit) and some regular Knights.

My greatswords (converted from a big ol' pile of bitz!) - shot as a unit and as separate ranks because I rather like them

My Battle Standard Bearer - I didn't want a regular standard, so I have a statue of Myrmidia* on the back as a rallying point

Unfinished pistoliers (Empire Knights and Militia kitbash) [EDIT : See below for finished, painted models!]

Mounted Wizardresses (Photonic Phoebe and Pyrotechnic Portia - guess who is who!)

Ogre Maneater mercenaries
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:14:47 PM by Darknight »
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Maza

• Members
Re: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 05:18:10 PM »
Nice conversions and cool parchments on the greatswords! Overall, a nice army with a lot of personality!

I guess photonic Phoebe is the one to the left  :-D

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »
I forgot to put this at the bottom;

* Yes, I know Myrmidia does not have wings in the "official" Warhammer fluff, but she is an amalgamation of Artemis and Athena, and I've taken a lot of inspiration from the goddess of victory Nike, who does have wings. So, "my" Myrmidia is an amalgamation of Artemis, Athena and Nike.

EDIT : I found an image of a few "free company" models I made; I just had them lying around and I sort of threw them together. These were designed to be a sort of quasi-Transylvanian army, primitive peasants in reds and browns with an elite core of Knights (I'd have done those as Order of the Dragon-esque and used Bret. rules for the whole thing). I dunno if these fit in with my army as it stands, but they are Empire!

I have WIP pics showing the process of painting 'em if people are interested. Click for a larger pic.

I have a very expansive conversion of my Grand Master which is about half painted, but all the pics I have of the painting are REALLY bad because of the light. If tonight wasn't NCIS sweeps week . . .
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:08:24 PM by Darknight »

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 01:53:12 AM »
I have started a thread about my new War Altar http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=40072.0

Here are a couple of pictures of my elite Knights (great weapons and Corinthian helms); I am thinking of doing them with gold / bronze armor;

(Click images for a larger version)

More pictures to come (assuming people find this interesting!)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:16:23 PM by Darknight »

Offline daftpunky

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:46:27 AM »
Love what you're doing with your Empire!!! :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
 Just wondering where you got the crested helmeted heads that are on your elite knights from?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 09:29:47 AM »
Just wondering where you got the crested helmeted heads that are on your elite knights from?

The metals are from an old Dogs of War unit - Alcatani Fellowship or some such?

The plastic ones are from Wargames Factory's 28mm Amazons - I was in the local games store and saw them. They were $20 for a box of 24. The models themselves have a SERIOUS flaw in that they are "Xena-fanboy" Amazons (no skirts, just ludicrous tassels to make them PG-13 - green stuff skirts are needed unless you want to blush at the tournament) but the heads and weapons are really lovely. You get a LOAD of helmeted heads - 54 in total - in the box. Half of those are Corinthian helms; nine of which are the classic "pushed back" look. That is what I used there - I just cut the helmets off the heads, trimmed the new heads down and glued them on.

The plastic Amazons are very nice for someone wanting to do that sort of thing - they are finding a lot of use in my army (see my War Altar thread for an example). Wargames Factory also, I think, do a regular Greek unit of hoplites etc.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 12:31:28 AM »
FREAKING RED-LETTER DAY!

I actually finished some models! This might not sound like much to most of the people here, who actually, you know, paint stuff but I i) haven't been painting for the best part of five years and ii) could never finish anything anyway.

So, I have finished my first models in an age and an age. And here they are! (Click for larger image.)

The light appears to be terrible on these (it is my wife's fault - she hates overhead light so living in my house is like living in some kind of tomb ... if your tomb featured a live-in sexy vampiress with more curves than a Sylvanian switchback, that is). Anyway; these are kitbashed models based on the Empire Knights with arms from the soldiers of the Empire boxed set (the OLD one, one of the first regiment sets) and pistols from the militia sprues. There are a few metal bits in there, too - the Reiklander youngblood from Mordheim and the leader features the LotR Arwen model (that is "Tyler" after Liv and her role in Plunkett & McLain :) )

These models, of course, predate plastic pistoliers by a long time - they are ten years old, at the least. I wanted Pistoliers which were i) inexpensive and ii) in keeping with my Knights (heavy armor, horses, barding). Note the shield with the maltese cross and the laurel wreath; all the members of the order have a laurel wreath and a shield with the maltese cross (even those who cannot use a shield) as a mark of membership in the order.

Comments are welcome; I realize there are significant problems with the quality of these, but I am just trying to get my hand back in. Next thing I am going to paint (converting and assembling is off the table right now as I have no superglue or plastic cement) will be two detachments of 10 swordsmen each to go with my Greatswords (seen above).

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 02:22:11 AM »
I like the look. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 03:25:27 AM »
Your're doing just fine! I've been working on my army for going on three years now and I only have a little over 2,000 points painted. Oh yeah, I also have to say how I like the way in which you've made your Maneaters look like a weird cross between Empire and Samurai. They really work though and I'm digging them.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 03:35:32 AM by Delthos »
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 03:57:50 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone - the "oriental" look of the Ogres is just (I think) down to the long mustaches etc. the basic models have (they have a kind of "Mongol" vibe to them).

I'm feeling pretty jacked about getting some painting done; I think I can get the swordsmen squared away pretty quickly.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 04:13:58 AM »
I'm just talking about the way the shields are on the shoulders and legs. Take a look at some Samurai armor, it has a similar look. It's definitely not the Mongol look that I'm picking up on.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 07:56:48 PM »
Looks very interesting. Elite knights, ogres, footknihgts...all good. :::cheers:::
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 06:54:57 PM »
Thanks, everyone! I sat down and planned out what I want to include in the collection, and did a color-coded list of what I have painted, built, bought and planned. I have edited the first post in this thread to reflect it; if you want to see the vision I have for the army, scroll up! Comments welcome.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 01:13:34 AM »
New models completed; two detachments of 10x Swordsmen each for the Greatswords. Click for larger pictures;

These models, like the Greatswords, are made of all kinds of spare pieces I had hanging around - I managed to make all 40 infantry without spending anything.

And here is a picture of them with their parent unit (click for larger pic);

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 02:47:04 AM »
Well, it seems people aren't all that interested in regular swordsmen ... so here we are with something which might attract attention; models with bewbs.  :Ohmy:

(Click for larger image)

These are the first six of my huntsmen, based on Wargames Factory's Amazons. It's a nice kit (the detail is very subtle, and so will need care when painting) although they are "Xena-fanboy ready" with just loin cloths (I'm Green Stuffing on skirts). I'm using the 24 models which come in the kit to make 2 Temple Guards and a Driver for my War Altar, eight female Knights and 13 huntsmen. As my army is a Knightly Order devoted to Myrmidia (who is an Artemis expy in many ways) the idea of huntresses is quite fluffy.

Apologies for the poor picture; the light is bad and for unpainted conversions it wasn't worth moving lamps - I've fiddled with the contrast. Of interest and note (i.e. things I am quite proud of) are the pan pipes carried by the figure to the extreme left and the hunting dog (from the Bretonnian range).

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 07:02:25 PM »
Well, it seems people aren't all that interested in regular swordsmen ...

I am. I looked at them and liked them, sorry, should have said something. They are great and there is so much to look at because of all conversions. Good work!

I'm also looking forward to seing those amazon warriors painted.

Great army project overall - a lot of personality!

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »
I am. I looked at them and liked them, sorry, should have said something. They are great and there is so much to look at because of all conversions. Good work!

Thanks very much - but I was only joshing with people so I could make the bewbs joke. Because, as all men of learning know, it is always time for a bewbs joke.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 01:59:47 AM »
I've spent the day clipping and snipping and gluing, and I've made a bunch of models for different units - but rather than photograph odd models here and there I'm gonna wait on that. Still, I thought this model was badass awesome;

(Click for larger image)

It is a huntress setting a (very large!) gin trap baited with a rabbit. I like these little diorama pieces in the middle of the unit.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 02:28:44 AM »
I like that amazon!  The models look a bit 'fragile' compared to heroic plastics.  Its a shame to hear that the details are subtle and soft.  I got some WF germans and vikings a while back and noticed that - I was hoping they would make the details a bit more crisp on the newer sets. 

You get what you pay for I guess!
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 02:35:16 AM »
Thanks!

The details are quite soft - almost "jelly mould" in many ways. They will require careful painting. I don't mind the fragility of them - although it is difficult to combine Warhammer models with them - because they are female models, and the smallness of them works. I am planning to get some painted pretty soon, and so we can see how the details come out. I think they will work pretty well.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 03:40:57 AM »
Enoyed seeing the swordsmen conversion, and the amazon huntresses. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 11:25:33 PM »
What did you use for heads on those hunters? I've been looking for some Phrygian helmets.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 03:50:40 AM »
Those are the helmets you get in the Amazons box - you get a total of 54 helmeted heads and 4 bare ones. There are nine sprues with six heads on each; one Corinthian helm with full face, one Corinthian helm with slightly open face, one Corinthian helm pushed back on the head, two of the helmets as on my huntresses (slight variations in hair, I think) and one sort of "Roman Legionaire" style.

If you go on the Wargames Factory website, you can see the sprue pictures. The kit is really very nice indeed for Greek bitz - lots of spears and hoplons and javelins and so forth. Pretty much everything for the huntresses is from the kit (and you can make "pikettes" and hoplites as well as the missile skirmishers).

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 03:08:32 PM »
Cheers. I don't think I'll be buying a pack of Xenas just for some helmets, though yours look good with skirts.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 03:13:33 PM »
Well, the set does contain (IIRC) 24 hoplons, the helmets as mentioned, 24 hoplite spears, 8 javelins, 4 (maybe more) slings, 8 bows with quivers, a bunch of peltast shields, some decorated shields, and pikes. If you have a "Greek theme" to the army, it is a wonderful set just for bits. I don't know how much metal hoplite shields are from other manufacturers, but even if you threw everything else out this is a nice kit. I've managed to eke out a lot of Grecian "color" from it.