home

Author Topic: Finally, my Kislevites  (Read 9879 times)

Offline tangocbear

• Members
Finally, my Kislevites
« on: December 17, 2016, 01:02:25 PM »
After many years of trolling this site and never posting anything and even more years of not painting my Kislevite horde, I have decided to do both.  So, here goes with the first batch of photos:

These guys are just basic Ungol horse archers.  They have a mix of the old-style legs (the standard bearer and the guy in the top left-hand corner) and  the newer style, that had shashkas everyone else).  The one modification I made was to cut down the rather massive swords that were cast with the figures.  I tried to get them down to something approximating the size and shape of the scabbards on the new-style legs.

Here is a close-up of the command group:

The figures are based on the plastic GW horse base undercoated Steel Legion Drab, as are the all the riders. The horses and riders were painted in various shades of brown, washed with Citadel's Argax Earthshade and/or Seraphim Sepia. I then seal all my figures in a solution of mostly water and a little floor wax and finish the process by applying a matte spray to kill the shine.

The surface area was then covered using a 50/50 mix of Woodland Scenics of Blended Turf Earth Blend (T350) and Soft Flake Snow (SN140).  Before the area dried I then hand-sprinkled some additional Soft Flake Snow in random areas. The terrain features are tufts of turf/grass from the Warlord Games "Frozen Turf" set.

Here is a close-up of one of the riders:

This Ungol's horse has a white muzzle and star painted using the technique shown in the 2004 Warhammer Chronicles article on Kislev, which is also in the small Kislev army book supplement that was published many years back.

If you enjoyed these pics, check out my Kislevite blog:

http://thearmyoftheicequeen.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 02:29:19 PM by tangocbear »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Finally, my Kislevites
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 02:03:08 PM »
Excellent, love the look of these Kislevites! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:

A well done blog, too! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline tangocbear

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 02:38:47 PM »
Good job :::cheers:::
My niece wants to collect a Kislev army but that's mostly because she's obsessed with ice queens

Offline tangocbear

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 02:50:32 PM »
If your niece is a teenager or older she should read Graham McNeil's 2 novels that were combined into the Ambassador Chronicles.   Although the  Ice Queen isn't the central character, she is a key part of the story.  She comes across as extremely intelligent, courageous, and very regal.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/735482.The_Ambassador_Chronicles

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 04:00:51 PM »
Jealous you have Kislevites, but an army as well. Oh my.
And have to agree Ambassador Chronicles is a good read, whether into Kislev or not. More who done it.

Offline tangocbear

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 11:20:04 PM »
Another instalment of my Kislevites:

This is an old GW cannon and a kit-bashed crew.  The figure with the ramrod is from the old metal Empire Great Cannon set.  I added the pack with dagger from the Bretonian Men-at-Arms set:

The commander, of course, is a Mordheim Kislevite.  In addition to his big eastern-looking sword (from the Mordheim Kislevite sprue) he is holding the binoculars from the Hellstrum/Hellblaster plastic kit: 

The figure holding match was made using a torso and legs from the Empire Militia set, arms from Empire plastic Great Cannon set, and a head from the new Empire Archers sprue.  He also has a canteen from the old Empire Soldiers set:

The gun is an old GW cast.  Because the Russians used a lot of brass cannons during the Renaissance, I repainted the cannon using the new GW Skullcrusher Brass from the metallic range released with AOS. I think they work really well:

Steve63

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 12:58:43 AM »
Nice work, I'm looking forward to seeing them finished.
I also have a Kislevite army I'm in the process of painting
 :::cheers:::

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 03:51:31 AM »
@Tangocbear
She loves the Ice queen because she's reminiscent of a key player in a certain 2013 Disney film I'm sure we're all sick of.
I couldn't find a decently priced one on ebay for her so I made one out of a wood elf if she ever wants to get into the hobby.

Offline tangocbear

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 11:03:09 PM »
These guys are the first of 3 installments of the Tzarina's bodyguard.  Ultimately, there will be a unit of 28, with full command (the conversions for the standard bearer and the musician are in-process). They are inspired by the bodyguards described in the Ambassador Chronicles, as well as the fact that Ivan the Terrible maintained a bodyguard of halberdiers (the Jiltsi) and his father Ivan III maintained a similar bodyguard of axemen (the Rindi). 

Here is a close-up of the Captain -

And a close-up of two of the rank-and-file, one swordsman and one halberdier -

For more info on these figs, check out of my Kislevite blog - http://thearmyoftheicequeen.blogspot.com/2016/12/jiltsirindi-part-one.html
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:08:23 PM by tangocbear »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 11:35:16 AM »
For what I can see, looks nice.  :-)

You have a fair number of cool old models!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline tangocbear

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 12:18:43 PM »
Thanks!  25 years of collecting/hording.  Lots of other cool stuff on the way in 2017.

Offline tangocbear

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 12:09:35 AM »
One more post before Christmas.  Here is another unit of Ungol horse archers, but this one has some element of uniform clothing. The commander has a red coat faced blue, a white sash, and blue trousers and cap.  One trooper has a red coat and white sash, a couple others have blue trousers, and another has a blue cap.  Hopefully, this "pulls together" the unit in terms of appearance.  Enjoy!!

Two shots of the commander and the trooper with the uniform red coat and white sash:

The rest of the command group - both with blue trousers:

A trooper with a blue cap:

PS - check out my Kislevite blog - thearmyoftheicequeen.blogstpot.com

Offline tangocbear

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 09:29:43 PM »
OK - time for the next installment of the Tzarina's bodyguard - 12 more troopers.  Six with the halberds from the Mordheim Kislevite sprue and six with the big eastern-looking swords and bucklers from the same sprue:

They are painted and based exactly the same way as the first batch I posted earlier.  Here is a close-up of the six with swords and bucklers:

Here are the six with halberds:

Finally, a close-up of one from each group:

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 12:39:19 AM »
The kislevite mordheim models are really nice although I think their arms look a bit long up close.
For a warband in mordheim where they were ment for it works really nice. In bigger numbers they appear a bit unipose which is to bad but unavoidable I guess.

I Like the excution of youre army sofar. The cannon is superbly done. The way you like to "pull" youre units together is very nice too.

Keep up the good work.  :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

Henerius
Quote from: Commander Bernhardt
don't listin to the evil Henerius
Quote from: steveb
if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline tangocbear

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 02:00:04 AM »
Thanks.  I'm really happy with the cannon and it was actually pretty easy and not overly time-consuming.  I agree on the Mordheim Kislevites.  In a small group they look more dynamic, which is why I decided to given them a mix of weapons and also to break up the repetitive look of the unit with a converted standard and musician.  As for the "pull" I learned a lot from an old high school friend who was a trained artist and miniature wargamer.  His stuff has always been amazing and I use a lot of his techniques.   

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 04:09:30 AM »
Nice start to an army! The obvious choice to break up the monopose mordheim guys would be kossars, right? And, time to show us some winged lancers! And a war wagon? And bears? Bring it on.

you may want to experiment with some more lighting from the front to improve your photos.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline tangocbear

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 11:32:37 AM »
Yes, the lighting isn't great.  I need to find another spot in the house that works better and doesn't afford our cats a chance to "explore" what I'm doing.

Several units of Kossars are in the works, but I find them very difficult.   :eusa_wall:  I also have a scratch-built wagon in the works too.   :icon_biggrin:

Offline tangocbear

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 02:03:40 AM »

OK - here is something new - a unit of seven light cavalry (Dogs of War, likely light cavalry, light armor, Fast Cavalry, pistol and sword).  They are supposed to represent the Reiters who were typically German cavalry who were often recruited by Poland. 

This unit is kit-bashed in the extreme.  Except for the commander in the middle, who is an old Citadel figure, the rest have the original Kislev Horse Archer legs.  Their torsos, heads, army, and equipment are a mix of the Empire Free Company/Militia box, the Mordheim accessory sprue, the Mordheim Kislev accessory sprue, the Pistoliers/Outrider box, the old Soldiers box, the old Empire Handgunners/Crossbowmen box, he Empire plastic Great Cannon kit, the Empire Knightly Orders box, and the Empire Archers/Huntsmen box. 

They are based on a piece of the WHFB basing kit, but the borders (they don't give you enough corner pieces :<) are made from Plastruct MS-819, .08 cm x .187 cm.   Although the grass and other terrain effects are almost the same as my other units, these guys have a little less snow mixed with the grass and a couple of non-frozen bushes/clumps of grass, to reinforce that these guys are from further south than other units in the army.

OK - time for some close-ups!

As I said, the commander is an old Citadel figure which I bought on eBay years ago, thinking I might use him for something someday.  I added a 40K White Scars shield, to give what is otherwise a very Western European looking figure a more "Eastern" feel, which I thought was appropriate.

I like the musician a lot.  His torso is from the Empire Militia/Free Company box and his head is from the Knights of the White Wolf sprue that comes in the Knightly Orders box, meaning this fellow is most likely a devotee of Ulric.  That is appropriate as his livery is the all blue scheme used by soldiers of Middenland.  Perhaps this fellow is a deserter, perhaps a discharged veteran with no prospects other than to ply the soldier's trade.  He has a holstered pistol from the Mordheim sprue.  His arms are from the old Soldiers box.  The right arm is just one off the plastic arms, but the left arm holding the horn is actual a pewter bit that was included in the original version of the Soldier's box.

OK - time for bed.  More close-ups tomorrow AM!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 03:15:13 PM by tangocbear »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 02:23:13 AM »
They have a lot of character. I always wished i bought more horse archer legs when they were available from the bitz store.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Army of Hochland

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
Good stuff, I have some Kislev models I should really sit down and paint them.

Offline tangocbear

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
OK - more close-ups -

The standard bearer's torso, head, and arms are all from the Empire Militia/Free Company Box (the arm holding the standard is the arm holding the hatchet).  The banner was made by using a laser printer to print out a design I saw on a page of European city, district, and provincial flags.  I copy the image, then flip one of them using basic Microsoft software so it has a reverse image for the other side of the flag.  I hadn't thought about it, but the black and white scheme of the flag is in the colors of Ostland, so perhaps this unit was raised there and/or considers Ostland its base of operations. 

This trooper was made using a torso form the Militia/Free Company box.  His head is from the old Soldiers box and his scabbard and sword comes from the old Mordheim Accessory sprue.  His arms, firearm, and pouch on his belt are from the metal pieces that came with the old Empire Handgunners/Crossbowmen box. 

I like this guy a lot.  His torso comes from the Empire plastic Artillery box and his arms from the old Soldiers box.  His head is from the Huntsman sprue that comes from the Empire Archers box

He also has a pistol from the new Pistoliers/Outrider box, but given that the new pattern figures are a bit larger than the old, this could easily be a caliver or carbine, rather than a pistol.

This figure was pretty simple, though it required a bit of work on a detail.  His head is from the White Wolf accessory sprue in the Knightly Orders box,  His torso and arms are from the Militia/Free Company box and his scabbard comes from the Mordheim Accessory sprue.  In his right hand he is carrying a pistol from the Kislev Mordheim Accessory sprue.  I had to cut the hand from the left arm from the Militia/Free Company box and because of the little round end on the hand at the wrist (it was made to fit into the Kilsev Mordheim figures), drill out the arm just a bit and then widen it with a razor blade.  I had to be careful not to wreck the army.

This guy comes entirely from the old Soldiers box, although he has a holstered pistol from the Mordheim Accessory sprue.  He is, of course, painted in the livery of the Ostermark, so he is another ex-soldier turned mercenary.

Hope you enjoyed these figures.  If you did, check out my blog - thearmyoftheicequeen.blogspot.com.  There are 1 or 2 pics there I haven't posted here and some more historical information about the real-life soldiers on who these units are based.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 03:19:50 PM by tangocbear »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »
I like 'em! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 10:31:34 AM »
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 10:50:04 AM »
Nice Tzarina's bodyguard! You know how difficult is nowadays to achieve this Mordheim models, don't you?
You're a fortunate man!