home

Author Topic: Picture of my bases.  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Mats

• Members
Picture of my bases.
« on: January 17, 2007, 09:26:30 PM »
I still havn’t got my ordered empire army (will get all the models for the second wave). Anyway, while im waiting for the models I’v started to work on the bases.

Almost done with bases for my 3 main blocks, including detatchments. Now I have to come up with a good idea for my 2x10 handgunners and my unit of outriders. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Cheers.

Offline thecoldwarrior

• Members
  • I said NO mayo!
Re: Picture of my bases.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 09:45:34 PM »
That is quite different if I do say so myself. Something I have never seen. It looks v good though so far. Id like to see the minis on it as well.

Offline C

• Members
  • Dicedogs.com
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 09:49:55 PM »
looks fantastic, what did you make the rocks out of ?
The hammer of Ulric shal fall upon the enemies of the empire.

Offline Ciaphas Cain

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 10:22:13 PM »
Nice paintjob on the giants (I still can't believe you 'sacrified' TWO of them).
This base definately will be an eyecatcher.

Cheers

CC
To me, sons of Sigmar- FOR THE EMPIRE!

Offline jullevi

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 10:36:38 PM »
Nice paintjob on the giants (I still can't believe you 'sacrified' TWO of them).

Looks like one GIANT kit worth of bits to me.

Those are some interesting bases, i must say. Looking forward to see them...modelled?
Knowledge is power, hide it well.

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 10:46:41 PM »
That's probably the best use of a giant I've seen so far :-D

The pinned peasant is a nice touch!
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline bofto

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 11:07:47 PM »
HOLY CRAP!  That's absolutely amazing! 
Best Warhammer game quote I know of:
"Andrew, stop asking what's going on.  Just shut up and roll!"

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 01:19:04 AM »
That is purely fantastic.

Where you got this idea I do not know. For some reason the base reminds me of 'Where Wally in the Land of the Giants'. (Thats a good thing).

I am going to steal this idea at one point (although I say that about a lot of things, and forget a whole bunch too). Regardless, this is fantastically executed.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline C

• Members
  • Dicedogs.com
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 02:25:23 PM »
i just noticed, there is no visable wounds to your giants :?. they are painted supurbly, but if your army is standing on 2 dead giants, perhaps some wounds would be in order >?
The hammer of Ulric shal fall upon the enemies of the empire.

Offline CM Dante

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 04:59:56 PM »
While the bases look very nice, I think they might distract a bit too much from your troops, it looks like it might be a bit awkward posing some of the models on the bases, what with some of them likely to end up almost an inch higher off the ground (ones standing on the giants) it might make your units look a little odd when ranked up.

Still a very nice idea and well executed too!

Offline jlutin

• Members
  • In Development Now
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 05:36:52 PM »
i just noticed, there is no visable wounds to your giants :?. they are painted supurbly, but if your army is standing on 2 dead giants, perhaps some wounds would be in order >?

It looks like his arms and legs were chopped off.   :evil:
Obama has spent more time playing golf than meeting with Republicans, his Deficit Commission, his Job Council and his Cabinet COMBINED.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 12:54:25 AM »

They are just sleeping.

Or alternatively they are cut up in 20x20 bits (who would be living through that)?
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Mats

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 04:37:31 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I came up with this idea on my way home from a tournament. (you know what a weekend of warhammer gaming can do to your head). I thought it would be cool to have something stretching over several units. I thought it would be awesome if that stretching thing could be a monster, and I finally came up with a good use for that giant I had lying around.  Finally I considered what army this project would best be suited for; I thought the empire might have the longest straightest battle line out there, so this idea is pretty much the reason for my latest army choice.

@ Ciaphas Cain I have indeed only used bits from one giant, but I’ve made good use of it as almost every piece in the box is used.

@ C The rocks are small stones from my back yard, painted and highlighted.

@ CM Dante  I’m planning on letting some models climb over him rather then letting them balance on his belly. We will see how it turns out.

@ C I’ve been thinking about putting some wounds of them, but I’m quite skeptical to the draining models in blood. I might crack one of the heads open and put a cannonball nearby. Apart from the cannon the empire don’t have much to bring down a giant, and scratch marks done by spearmen around one of the giants feet might look a bit too funny. Any ideas on alternative wounds are more than welcome.

Cheers.

Offline lonearcher

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 05:04:05 AM »
Easy.

The guy lying on his back; his spine was snapped by a canon ball.

The guy lying on his belly; he was gutted by a canon ball.

Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow …

Offline thecoldwarrior

• Members
  • I said NO mayo!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 05:11:20 AM »
Sorry to bring this up now, but maybe you could have gotten a couple of the moulded plastic Giant templates. Granted you would not get all the bits, but it would have cost a lot less.

I do like the idea of spear wounds at their feet. Im trying to think of ways I would bring a giant down. Hmm Defunct the strings Of cemetary things With one flat foot On the devil's wing, no no no but a large set of spikes might! Sure that would make for a nice little hobby project as well. Id say a flat plate of metal with a large spike in the center. Lay them on the ground and the Giant may not notice them. A Giant that steps on one would come down pretty fast. As for your model, you could have several of these spikes around and one in the foot of a Giant. This is by no means the death blow but once the Giant is down, you have access to more vital areas!

I cant wait to see the minis on , but I think I mentioned that already.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 05:17:53 AM »
I think the Goblin Wolf Riders have a basket type shield that has a spike on it. Maybe you could use a few of these?

Offline cheaky

• Members
  • Melbs, Australia
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 06:48:49 AM »
cool to see someone else doing semeless bases too :)

cant wait to see the finished product

@ thecoldwarrior, my whole army is based semeless bases (though, with no cool fallen giant) here is the thread http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=13477.0 (sorry to advertise).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 06:52:45 AM by cheaky »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 11:05:44 AM »
What a brilliant, if insane, idea. I think you would be well on the way to claiming all the 'best army' votes at a tournament.

That's probably the best use of a giant I've seen so far

The only good giant is a dead giant!

Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.