home

Author Topic: Questions from a village wantwit. Trolls.  (Read 53125 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Questions from a village wantwit. street map altdorf
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2015, 10:20:35 AM »
Here's one. Altdorf never got much detail in the RPG, for some reason.

1: Imperial palace and the Volkshalle [I think the zoo is on the palace grounds]
2: Cathedral of Sigmar
3: Konigplatz
4: University of Altdorf
5: Colleges of Magic
6: docks
7: Hall of Records
8: Law Courts
9: Tempelgarten
10: Dwarf Engineers's Guild
11: Imperial College of Engineering
12: Mercantile district
13: Slums

i: Tempelstrasse
ii: The Street of a Hundred Taverns
iii: Volker Weg
iv: Luitpoldstrasse

a: Emperor Karl-Franz bridge
b: Three-Toll bridge
c: Old Emperor's bridge
d: Eastern bridge
e: Sigmar bridge
f: Mourner's bridge
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2015, 10:48:44 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find a street map of Altdorf. Looking for west gate, barrack area and Imperial zoo. Want road names and prominent buildings. Thankyou in advance.

Biggest printed official map is from End Times Glottkin.   Poster sized.  But it is different in several places to anything previously official or unofficial.  Almost like they deliberately changed it for the sake of it.  Bull$hit reason if they did.   And it's mainly for showing where the glottkin battles took place.
Online, look for a PDF by Magnus Seter, it doesn't have many street names though.  There is an official map of the zoo, but I'm not sure which book it's from.  By the style it's a 3rd ed book.  I suspect it's The Enemy Within.  Give me a while to dig through.

Other than that, there isn't much I can find, and I have many maps I've found over the years

Spires of Altdorf had an excellent Altdorf map with many locations and a clean overwiev of the city.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2015, 10:51:53 AM »
Spires of Altdorf had an excellent Altdorf map with many locations and a clean overwiev of the city.

I think that might be the one I just posted. It's the same as the 1st edition map, but in colour!
If I wanted to.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2015, 11:03:28 AM »

I think that might be the one I just posted. It's the same as the 1st edition map, but in colour!

So it's prolly the same, altough Spires were printed in black & white and had their legend printed on map itself.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2015, 11:35:14 AM »
The SoA map (p.22) had its legend also below the map, but with fewer and different lemmata. The maps themselves are the same, though.

On a side note:
- Number 5 on Rufus's map is just the Jade College.
- Magnus Seter's map (with quite a number of street names, at least more than any other map) is among the high resolution maps of Gitzman's Gallery.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:10:53 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2015, 01:26:05 PM »
Actually, I think I might have added the numbers/letters to the map I posted. I used it for my RPG.
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2015, 02:32:35 PM »
There is some information on the mad Alfred WFRP site reagrding Altdorf.  Not sure how much of it is his own, and how much of it he pulled from GW and Black Library sources, but there's quite a bit, and seems to be worth taking a look at.  The homepage has a key to Altdorf article, and an article on the history of Altdorf.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:34:57 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »
Regarding Magnus Seter's map, it is worth mentioning that additional layers of information can be added, although it is often very difficult to see on page level (you have to zoom in).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2015, 09:05:29 PM »
Thankyou for that conection FvS saved that some great maps there.
Again thanks for the map Rufus. Will use this as reference.
The Imperial Zoo should be to the south west of [2] Sigmar's Temple. Here is houses all the exotic animals the Emperor has collected including the dragon. However in EofT Glottkin and Fall of Altdoft, Martak gains entry to the Imperial Menagerie by descending a flight of stairs and what appears to be a short corridor before getting to the area where the griffins and dragon are kept.
Is this again GW moving things around or is there a secret passageway from the Imperial Palace to the Zoo.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2015, 09:16:25 PM »
Old Sigmarite Proverb ...

Tell someone about secret passages, and they won't be secret anymore.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2015, 09:27:52 PM »
The Imperial Menagerie is definitely part of the Imperial Palace itself, and the Altdorf map in fact locates it in the north-western complex.
Here are some contemporary drawings.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2015, 10:38:19 PM »
What can I say Fidelis. OMG. That is an amazing peice of work.
Only said Zoo was to south west of Sigmars temple, as thats where it's shown in Glottkin map of Altdorf, but as you said it makes sense for the Menagerie to be attached to the Imperial palace so Emperor KF does not have to walk/rider any distance to get Deathclaw.
Perhaps their is a Zoo keeping less dangerous animals, as well as the Menagerie.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2015, 08:45:16 AM »
Thank you.
And as you say, the Glottkin map has it to the SW of the Temple. I think it is safe to say, however, that there is only one Imperial Zoo/Menagerie.  I have noticed several other discrepancies (regarding names and locations) between the Glottkin map and earlier maps (like Seter's). Of course, those maps may not be "official" as such, but did try to incorporate all the available information from various official sources, which often are unclear or even contradictory. Glottkin is official, but it is also known that GW often chooses to simply ignore earlier fluff.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2015, 12:46:26 PM »
To give a couple of easy examples of discrepancies between the maps in Glottkin (G) and WFRP Spires of Altdorf (S).

Bright College: G northwestern part of the city; S eastern part
Celestial College: G northwestern part (near the the Bright College); S southwest of the Temple of Sigmar
Jade College: G northwestern part; S northeastern part.
Light College: G northwestern part (i.e. right bank of the Reik); S not on the map, but it specifies elsewhere that it "can be found on the left bank of the Reik."

Where G has "Arcane Towers", S locates the University of Altdorf (clearly not identical). G does not list the University at all.

Grey College: G northwestern part (between the Northwatch Citadel and the Bright College); S no references. However, Sigmar's Heirs describes the Grey College as "in Altdorf's poorest and most disreputable district. Even the city watch shun this area, and no honest citizen would ordinarily risk entering such a den of rogues."

As far as one can tell, the locations given by S fit better the descriptions as given in the Empire Army Books.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:42:54 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2015, 08:47:48 PM »
Changing it like that really shows either ineptitude in checking their own sources, which given they can get the general layout right shows they can read when they want to,  or it's a premeditated decision to make it different for the sake of it. 

Either way, all the gloss doesn't do the fans any service whatsoever, and it therefore isn't the quality product it could have been.

It's a disappointment.

Sent from my thingamajig via wadyamacallit

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2015, 10:38:42 PM »
Après nous le déluge...

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2015, 07:32:03 AM »
Changing it like that really shows either ineptitude in checking their own sources, which given they can get the general layout right shows they can read when they want to,  or it's a premeditated decision to make it different for the sake of it. 

Either way, all the gloss doesn't do the fans any service whatsoever, and it therefore isn't the quality product it could have been.

It's a disappointment.

Sent from my thingamajig via wadyamacallit

They did not gave half a s****. So sad. :/

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2015, 03:41:39 PM »
I would go with Spires of Altdorf. :::cheers:::

Probably some plastic whipper snapper with no supervision was involved with "Glottkin", whatever that is.  If I recall, isn't that something to do with the End of Times stuff?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2015, 04:02:43 PM »
The only "good" thing one can say about the End of Times is that worse was still to come...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2015, 04:05:36 PM »
 :icon_lol:

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2015, 05:15:29 PM »
What about giving us a new Nagash model?
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2015, 05:28:31 PM »
That could have been provided with or without EoT or destroying the world.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2015, 06:44:29 PM »
I could not have cared less, as I only play Empire. But that said, the new model was really a precursor: more 4K than WFB, too big and too expensive.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2015, 09:24:22 PM »
From a technical perspective, that model is quite impressive. But overall it's still poor.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2015, 07:37:36 AM »
Why is Nagash inhumanly big? is his spirit dwelling inside a Ushabti? Or did he belong a lean Ogre race?

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.