home

Author Topic: Which warband should I choose?  (Read 3185 times)

Offline Redhand

• Members
Which warband should I choose?
« on: March 21, 2004, 03:43:38 PM »
I want to start a Mordheim Warband using my existing Empire/DOW figures. Anyone have any suggestion on which one would be a good option?

Offline Rathis Darkwielder

• Members
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 08:32:47 PM »
It all depends on what you like to do with your warband.

-Reiklanders are great marksmen
-Middenheimers are great in close combat
-Marienburgers are jack-of-all-trades

I haven't read the rules of the Ostlanders, Averlanders and Kislevites so I don't know what they're good at.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 11:13:56 PM »
Is shooting effective in Mordheim? I played a few games a couple of months ago, and it seemed that Horde type infantry was the most effective. Has anyone else come to the same conclusion?

Offline Albrecht von Hinkel

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 08:18:17 AM »
My personal favourite in Mordheim is Marienburgers. The extra 100 GP is really worthwhile. Usually I have been using nine warband members, with lots of nice equipment (brace of duelling pistols for my captain and champions), but lately I have been changing to 14 members with regular equipment. And it works like a charm, now I can finally challenge those stupid rats! The next thing I am gonna buy now are some duelling pistols for my captain. +1 to hit, S4 and armour penetration is too good to miss.

Shooting as far as I have experienced is only effective when using massed bowfire (I got 10 bows in my band atm) or when having high skills, like quick shot.

Offline Redhand

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 05:32:49 PM »
It seems like pistols should be very effective. You can shoot when you need to and you get the strength and AP in HTH. Can you fight with two pistols in one round, or do you have to use a pistol and hand weapon?

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 07:47:58 PM »
You can choose what weapons to use when you attack in close combat. If you have pistols you obviously choose them, and you can change back to some other weapon once you have wasted those shots. If you have duelling pistols you get two attacks at S4, no matter what your A is. But once you change back to some other weapon you get your regular attacks.

Offline Bonimbus Pux

• Members
Brother Martin's Wyrdstone All-Stars
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 02:26:07 AM »
I use a lot of Free Company models in my Witch Hunter warband. I also have a Sister of Sigmar which I use as Frau Kunstler, who along with Herr Kuntsler make up the pointy end of my HTH forces.

My warrior priest, Brother Martin, uses a brace of pistols, but to be honest with a 6 inch range, doesn't get that many shots off in the course of a normal game. I usually keep him where he can use magic to assist the others and the guns are used in self defense.

I also have recruited a Tilean marksman, one Armando Signore, who is devastating with the crossbow - no long range and no cover modifiers apply. My warband leader, Ulli von Blenniman, was originally a swordsman but suffered a serious wound which caused his WS to drop. I made him a crossbowman also, and now he has the Quick Shot ability as well as Trick Shot. These two, combined with my 3 bow wielding Henchmen form a pretty nasty aerial assault force.

It's been my experience to balance shooters with HTH'ers to maximize efficiency.

I may use a pack of warhounds sometime soon, but up to now I have usually used only one which was always killed almost instantly.

BPux
Tis always better to be lucky than good!

Offline Bonimbus Pux

• Members
Brother Martin's Wyrdstone All-Stars
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2004, 02:26:07 AM »
I use a lot of Free Company models in my Witch Hunter warband. I also have a Sister of Sigmar which I use as Frau Kunstler, who along with Herr Kuntsler make up the pointy end of my HTH forces.

My warrior priest, Brother Martin, uses a brace of pistols, but to be honest with a 6 inch range, doesn't get that many shots off in the course of a normal game. I usually keep him where he can use magic to assist the others and the guns are used in self defense.

I also have recruited a Tilean marksman, one Armando Signore, who is devastating with the crossbow - no long range and no cover modifiers apply. My warband leader, Ulli von Blenniman, was originally a swordsman but suffered a serious wound which caused his WS to drop. I made him a crossbowman also, and now he has the Quick Shot ability as well as Trick Shot. These two, combined with my 3 bow wielding Henchmen form a pretty nasty aerial assault force.

It's been my experience to balance shooters with HTH'ers to maximize efficiency.

I may use a pack of warhounds sometime soon, but up to now I have usually used only one which was always killed almost instantly.

BPux
Tis always better to be lucky than good!

Offline RendeR

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 05:22:53 AM »
In Mordheim you live, and Die, by the crossbow.

Its great range and strength 4 to wound are made superior to the handgun because you can fire every round. When in  a campaign you can give your heros with crossbows shooting skills which make it an even deadlier weapon.

To begin with I feel the best overall group to start with is Rieklanders, the Sowrdsman and Marksmen have better starting stats than the other mercs and its worth the few extra points. Get as many units as you can to start, try to avoid heavy losses early, then buy everyone who can use them a crossbow.

Once your boys are armed with 30' range death, the rest of the city had best take to hiding.

Now if you want to see something truly frightening:

Dwaven Warband

Load up on Thunderers, they can use crossbows, take an engineer to add 6 inches to the range (36 inch range St4 weapons, YIKES) and now you have a starting warband with tough 4 and weapons that can reach across the board.

I ranked up my group of dwarves in their first battle in 3 ranks of 4 troops each, hearos in the back line, and literally marched 6 inches at a turn straight at a group of shadow elves who shot, ran shot ran and finally ran off the board in fear. Then turned on high elves and marched down their throats as well. 24 elves, 11 total dwarves, 15 elves dead, 9 ran away. ZERO dwarven casualties.

Granted no casualties took a little luck, but that 4 tough saved at least 3 of my men from death, elves just can't shoot and kill you as a dwarven group =)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline IH8Skaven

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 08:55:27 PM »
Quote from: RendeR
Now if you want to see something truly frightening:

Dwaven Warband

Load up on Thunderers, they can use crossbows, take an engineer to add 6 inches to the range (36 inch range St4 weapons, YIKES) and now you have a starting warband with tough 4 and weapons that can reach across the board.

I ranked up my group of dwarves in their first battle in 3 ranks of 4 troops each, hearos in the back line, and literally marched 6 inches at a turn straight at a group of shadow elves who shot, ran shot ran and finally ran off the board in fear. Then turned on high elves and marched down their throats as well. 24 elves, 11 total dwarves, 15 elves dead, 9 ran away. ZERO dwarven casualties.

Granted no casualties took a little luck, but that 4 tough saved at least 3 of my men from death, elves just can't shoot and kill you as a dwarven group =)

Aren't xbows move and shoot in Mordheim also?

Are you playing scenarios?  I could see this army getting annhilated scenario-wise trying to take over buildings and items upon the table.  To say true, I have actually gotten massacred using an army very similar to this by a very horde-like skaven band with lots of slings.

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 12:39:31 PM »
Yes, crossbows are move or shoot in Mordheim too.

I have a Reikland warband, and use 2 Archers and 2 x-bows in my starting.  And the combo works great.  you need those x-bows for the extra punch and range they give.
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline Redhand

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2004, 05:43:03 PM »
Great Weapons or Swords? I'm considering Middenheimers, Reiklanders, and Witch Hunters. Do you think multiple strength 3 attacks are superior to fewer str 6 attacks (flagellants)? Is magic worthwhile? The healing hand spell looks like it could be very useful.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2004, 06:11:03 PM »
Swords! The Great Weapon requires two hands and you strike last! Multiple attacks is the way to go, although one or two men with great weapons can be ok sometimes as a support.

Offline nub5

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2004, 08:42:58 PM »
The problem with blackpowder weapons is they they shoot every OTHER turn.  So you can fire a xbow twice.  Now if you have a brace of pistols (2), you can fire every turn, or pick up the hunter skill (allowing you to fire bpw every turn).
Empire,  HUA!   :biggriin:
And the dice like non-proxied, painted minis. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_lol:

Offline Feanor

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 03:59:34 AM »
Shooting is far and away the most important phase in Mordheim as there is very little armour about meaning that you are able to hurt the enemy and they cannot fight back especially if you have a higher range, ballistic skill and strength. When I first started out with Mordheim I used the Reiklanders and took 3 Marksmen with Crossbows after 5 or 6 battles my opponents wanted to retire since I had got their numbers up to 4 and had BS: 5 this made most enemy run for the shadows or behind buildings where possible. Even cover can't save you from a crossbow armed nutter with BS: 5. I'd take heavy shooting if you want to but be warned the games can be very boring when all you do is shoot and your opponent concede after a few turns.
If I were witty, this would be my chance to shine.  But not everyone can be brilliant

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 10:53:45 AM »
In my latest warband, all of my troops are equipped with bows except for one, who is equipped with a blunderbuss. With such a massive amount of shooting, you are bound to kill something!

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2004, 12:54:47 PM »
My Reiklanders, every henchman is armed with with a missle weapon (4 Archers, 2 Crossbows and a Blunderbuss).  And all my heros are built for fighting!!  My Captain has a Brace of Dueling Pistols, but thats more for defence than for attack.
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2004, 01:01:49 PM »
And by the way; Always, ALWAYS, get max number of heroes! They increase your money income, and money is nice! And they are better fighers then the others.

Offline IH8Skaven

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 01:41:59 AM »
Quote from: Feanor
after 5 or 6 battles my opponents wanted to retire since I had got their numbers up to 4 and had BS: 5 this made most enemy run for the shadows or behind buildings where possible.

I didn't think you could add men to an existing unit.  You could only add new units.  :?