home

Author Topic: Neat Write Up of Age of Sigmars Launch  (Read 217 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Neat Write Up of Age of Sigmars Launch
« on: May 01, 2024, 01:45:54 AM »
One of the folks over at Goonhamer has done a neat write up of the problems surrounding the terrible Age of Sigmar launch. its worth a read to see how things have evolved, and also for a glimpse at just how bad a state Fantasy was in at the time.

https://www.goonhammer.com/a-history-of-miniature-violence-age-of-sigmars-launch/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Neat Write Up of Age of Sigmars Launch
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 11:51:47 AM »
A reminder of the chaotic mess that occurred back then. I recall my own distaste of the situation, and beyond the loss of the order associated with WFB. However, the situation that happened did little to encourage taking up the system for many, and how GW managed to get through it seems astounding.

A good read, thank you for posting the link.  Looking forward to the next, so please post a link when seeing such, thanks!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 03:35:13 PM »
Yeah, it was such a shit show and its interesting to see it laid out step by step. I particularly appreciated a reminder of how "quick" a lot of it was wrapped up or moved on.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 04:27:14 PM »
The rapidity of the various changes struck me at the time as though there had been limited or poor planning or both.

I'm glad the effort was made to write this history of that time up.  The further along a person goes, the more difficult the memory of such happenings could be, and having this to help recall is good.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 02:10:21 AM »
I had taken a hiatus from about 2011-14, so the transition was not to hard. Fell right in with AoS easily. Converted most of my armies. Liked the style and the fact I could put the units I wanted into an army. Still into AoS and BL books are pretty good too.
I will be setting up a new room later this year as we moved about a year ago and I have been inactive again.
Now with the old world back, a new 40K edition and AoS, I'll be up to my eyeballs in hobby. I'll probably finish painting my son's chaos army first,  then on to a new Battle Sisters army and revisit the old world again. Still have s Tzeentch and high elf army in the old style still.
I died somewhere in July 2016 and in my subsequent hospital stay, I went to town on AoS, came out of the hospital and built a hobby room and restarted everything. So I owe AoS my continued hobby history. I have 7 AoS armies now packed away with 4 remaining 40 k armies and a 5th to start
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline lcmiracle

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 03:42:53 AM »
Whatever, the aesthetics of AoS never clicked for me; beyond updated models for 8E and older edition I see no value in that product for me. The free cities of sigmar launch was a huge middle finger for me, proving once again AoS has only Chaos to offer and nothing else.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2024, 11:27:16 AM »
I definitely remember that line in the sand. It's pretty much impossible to to bring both sides together. I was a diehard fantasy player had High Elf ,Ork, goblin, Tzeentch, empire, dwarf, , skaven armies,  huge into the lore and fluff.  Played for 11 years, fantasy/40k 3x a week at GW, tournaments with an incredible group whenever they were on within 400 mile radius. Insane and definitely fun.
I pretty much became a solitary player with AoS and engaged online at TGA and home. I think I liked the freedom it gave to the whole hobby. It will probably continue that way as well.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2024, 06:57:46 PM »
Yeah its pretty fascinating to see the battles continue so many years later.

Different spokes for different folks and all. I quite like the Cities of Sigmar, feels like a really interesting evolution further into the Early Modern era in some ways, and then cranking up the fantasy in others.

Its also just really nice to see non 40k warhammer in the wild. 40k still absolutely dominates pretty much everything in my local region, but AoS is in a very firm second place, with a pretty big drop before any other games.