home

Author Topic: King's blog  (Read 94043 times)

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
King's blog
« on: June 11, 2008, 03:16:31 PM »
So as I already promised, now that I have more spare time at hand, I am going to dedicate it toward both revamping as well as adding to one of my existing Empire armies (I only collect Empire armies  :| but I am happy with that  :laugh:).  The aim is to give my Stirlanders a Conquistador feel.  I will be working on several units, mainly swordsmen, outriders/pistoliers, knights, flagellants, a warmachine or two and also some hired meat in the form of 2 ogre units and also an ogre bull rhinox rider.  All of these will be converted in a way or another, in a bit to improve my GS kung fu skills (I am not Otaku  :icon_sad: but I will try to emulate him in my humble way  :blush:).  This here will be my blog for these creations to be updated from time to time.  I will start with the first WIP of a rank and file swordsman.  Also whoever is interested please note that the Conquistador head is from Microart creations, so check it out for scale reference  :wink:

:mrgreen:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:23:47 PM by King »
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
Re: King's blog: Works in progress
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 04:04:18 PM »
Nice start! Get him painted. The puff looks a little messy (don't know if it's just the close up by the camera), but that's it.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:26:32 PM »
Agreed, it's a great a start to a Conqui-stirlander. I think the top of the puff can be hidden by adding a pouch or something else 'baggage' there.

sj

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 04:33:38 AM »
The head looks great.  I was hoping they'd be to scale. 

As for the greenstuffed puffy leggings, don't try to sculpt individual puffs.  Wrap a thin layer of greenstuff around the leg, and then run your putty tool or hobby knife down thru the putty.  Make sure you follow the curves of the body realistically. 
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline King

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 06:58:19 AM »
Hey thanks Pete  :::cheers::: You know, I hand not taught of that  :blush: :blush: I was trying to sculpt single GS puffs.  It was a hurdle to do and to tell you the truth not worth it in the end, and as Obi mentioned they don't look neat even though I tried hard (jeez they are so small to do). I will try your way Pete and see how it comes up. I am not sure what to do to correct the 4 guys I already made  :unsure: Guess I will just have to toss them away to the reserves area  :icon_frown:

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline katzbalger

• Members
  • Woof. That is all.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 09:43:57 AM »
File the back down a bit and sculpt a little pouch or something over it. Do the same with the others if they look similar. Then stick 'em in the middle of a unit and they'll look just fine!
Pistol Pete's suggestion for sculpting puffy clothes works well - it's not as hard as I though it'd be. Give it a go and keep up the good work!
I feel my signature should say something witty and urbane, to indicate that I'm a stylish and elegant man. But I'm not. So it doesn't.
Instead it just says 'willies.'
Willies.
See? Told you.

Offline King

• Members
Re: King's blog: Works in progress update
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 11:45:40 AM »
So after I had a week of doing no painting on my army since I got my thumb badly sliced whilst doing some conversion work (wasn't careful enough), i decided that instead I would have a go at sculpting even though with one hand  :icon_cry: The following are the results of these endeavors.  The swordsmen unit of conquistadors or conquistirlanders as Soju nicknamed them  :happy: is almost ready to be painted.  I decided to give some of the unit's guys different weapons in true conquistador style, like a pistol or crossbow or even a halberd (you never know what to expect in a strange land so better be prepared  :closed-eyes:), but the majority are armed with swords.  To it I have added two units of Conquistador ogres (one will be conquistador, the other Arabian looking) and a conquistador bull rhinox.  The theme of the army will be that these guys are hired by the emperor himself to go explore the new found continent (known as the south lands) to the west, but the story line is WIP too at the moment  :blush: so you will have to wait for that.  I have been thinking hard about whether to paint them all in Stirland colours or else differently as 023 does but cannot quite decide so any suggestions would be welcome as well.  Enough blabbing and on to the eye candy  :icon_wink:. Let me all know what you think and remember it is all still WIP. PS: Pistol Pete I corrected nearly all of the weird looking puffs using your method, so thanks  :::cheers:::

unit shots

close up shots: command group

This will be a unit filler and the indian guy is an old model which I converted and now will strip the paint off and repaint as though he is a defective native helping the conquistadors

This is the fat bloke of the company, I wanted to have a fat guy so I sculpted most of him

company members

conquistador ogres (one is still missing,and I still have to sculpt their boots)

Arabian ogres (one still missing here as well)

Conquistador bull rhinox

Also nothing to do with the army itself but I taught....(my still very WIP emperor)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 11:55:05 AM by King »

Offline Noblesteedy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 12:22:41 PM »
Big improvement on the puffyness and with only one hand  :Ohmy:. The Fatman, bull rhinox the hair on the horse is looking good!
Now once your thumb is better I want to see them painted :biggriin:

one thing I think you could change is on that ogre with the conquistador helm try filing the sides of the very top so its smooth like the mens/ ogre on rinox's helm.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 12:29:05 PM by Noblesteedy »

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 09:23:41 PM »
They've got a lot of character, and I love how the conqi heads fit really well with the Empire kits. Excellent stuff!

sj

Offline Holland

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 12:13:03 AM »
Great heads, inventive backstory, awesome charactors, need i say more

:::cheers:::
I apologies in advances for all the thing I am about to say O_O

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 01:44:51 PM »
I really like the helmets you chose, they seem to go well with the empire bodies.  Can't wait to see more.
Usually I have a female mage holding my Rod of Power   :-D

Offline Kriegspiel

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 05:07:14 PM »
Excellent - really love the rhinox .

Just to ask - the white cross on the flag - is that a decal ? If so were did you get it ( been looking for something similar for my flags ) ?

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 05:24:36 PM »
Love :

1)the whole idea
2)the donkey
3)fat guy
4)puffyness
5)the ogres
6)the rhinox

Dislike :

The drummers' beard (looks stuck on, not that i'd do better)

The mane on the Emperors' horse (too long, it would not naturally stay like that. Of course the Emperor CAN afford lots of styling gel, but hey...)

Mind you King, the last two points are minor, but hey, that's my first (and second and third, Ive checked back before posting) impression.

Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Death

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 07:36:38 PM »
what is the red dot thingiy in the back of the unit?
the self proclaimed forum handyman.

"Morr calls, will you answer?"

W/D/L
 0 0 0

http://s6.invisionfree.com/old_world_online/

a new forum for fantasy players worldwide, check it out!

Offline King

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 09:54:52 PM »
Death: The red dot thingy is a red dot laser sight  :icon_eek:, which that guy uses to help him aim the crossbow :icon_lol:. No really now, that is the central part of the pommel of a sword which the crossbow guy has strapped to his back (see no laser sight dirty tricks  :-P)

Soth: you know what, you are totally right, it does look a little bit off, even given the amount of gel available  :| I will see what can be done to give him a hair cut although the horse has already been given the next GS stage (pics will follow tom). As for the drummers beard I agree as well as that was one of my first attempts at GS. I will just have to scrape it off and redo it, but thanks for the positive critique.  PS; I am a fan of your army  :::cheers:::

Offline King

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 09:59:26 PM »
mrhart: That is a space marine 40K black templar decal but to tell you the truth I don't like it in its current position and am looking for ways to make the banner look more historical and age appropriate (I need suggestions on this). Also I would like suggestions on whether to paint this army in the Stirland colours or just mix colours up like the Marienburgers do (I'm literally thorn apart on this thanks to 023's blog, jeez his army rocks)

Offline King

• Members
Re: King's blog: Works in progress: next update
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 01:04:37 PM »
So, like warhammerlord_soth suggested, I trimmed down the funky hairstyle of the Emperor's horse, sculpted on some barding and also redid the beard on the drummer (although a pic of him isn't included here).Together with these I continued the work on some ogres.Let me know what you all think  :wink:

Offline robfromkoeln

• Members
  • Old World Reaver
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 01:32:20 PM »
Love it! Get it painted!

Offline katzbalger

• Members
  • Woof. That is all.
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 02:01:34 PM »
Nice one King! Those puffy sleeves and trousers are looking really good! And the Emperor W.I.P. looks like he's going to look brilliant! We all know the mighty K.F. should be on horseback. There's no other place for him.
I feel my signature should say something witty and urbane, to indicate that I'm a stylish and elegant man. But I'm not. So it doesn't.
Instead it just says 'willies.'
Willies.
See? Told you.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 03:52:27 PM »
Hey, I got a great adress where you can send those minis to to be rated properly...
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline King

• Members
Re: King's blog: New updates
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 11:21:44 AM »
So after a long wait, I present you the conquistirlanders. I have managed to nearly finish painting the unit (bar a few touch ups here and there). I hope you like them and give me your comments on things I can improve on. I aimed for a table top standard. I also am including a WIP of my Arabian hired ogres. I will now go on to paint the ogre conquistador and the Arabian ogre units and as soon I finish I will update once more  :happy: PS:the unit filler is still WIP so I will include picks of it as soon as it is finished too.

A still WIP Arabian ogre

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 12:01:52 PM »
This is a great blog and that greenstuffing since those first few posts has come on amazingly. I love what you did with Karl Franz's horse... and the modification is really good...

Looking forward to more painted stuff  8-)
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 06:08:46 AM »
Simply ace !

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline King

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 03:49:12 PM »
Time to update my blog a little  :happy: So, thanks to Volt (who has provided me with the 6th ed shields) and Stretch_135 (who has provided me with 7th ed feathers), I have managed to finish off my Conquistador based Empire swordsmen. Together with these I also finished the paint job on two ogre mercenary units, which I will include in this army from time to time. I also converted an ogre conquistador banner bearer from an old mighty empires ogre. Comments and criticism are welcome as ever, or rather really needed as it serves as feedback to keep me going on this project  :biggriin: I hope you like them  :smile2:

Some random unit shots

Unit Captain

Conquistador Ogres

Arabian Ogres: (The banner pole is still not ready yet)

Offline Your Mother

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 07:40:31 PM »
I like them. Shields came out good.
I like cheese.            My Army Blog: http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=21327.0