home

Author Topic: The End of the Order.  (Read 1970 times)

Offline commandant

• Members
The End of the Order.
« on: February 03, 2013, 11:50:33 AM »
What follows is the fluff I will be using in the Empire of Wolves campaign

2203 - Somewhere in the North.

She took the hammer, glided with silver and decorated with stone, and placed it smoothly on the marble slab.   She stood for a second, her eyes closed, her face still, her lips blue, ignoring the harsh wind that whipped her cloak back and tore at her hair.   She raised her hands, her palms together, and her eyes snapped open, blazing, burning.
"The Commandant is dead," she said quietly.   "We buried him in the south, in the warmth, but facing home."   There was nobody to hear here, there was nobody there.   She had not told anybody that she had carried the Commandant's hammer north with her, she had not informed anybody of the marble grave she had commissioned for him.   She had not made this secret location know to the rest of the Order of the Black Shield.   She reached out to touch the marble slab, to run her fingers gently along his likeness.   She was cold, chilled and not by the winter winds of the north.

"Your Order is changing, Commandant," she said quietly.   "And not for the better."   Her words were soft, barely carried above the wind and yet she knew, had he been here, he would have heard them.   Her fingers left the stone, carved for the mask he wore, the mask that replaced his face.   "Not even Captain de Val would have approved."

General de la Man found Moradas in a quiet inn on one of the back streets of Nuln.   Dirty tables, a smokey taproom and piss poor beer.   He plonked his tankard down on the table she occupied alone, ignoring the liquid which sloshed over the rim.   She looked up as he pushed back his hood and took a seat.

"What are you doing here, general?" she asked.   "They'll kill you if they know who you are."   General de la Man shrugged.   He lifted his tankard in a mock salute.

"We hate them almost as much as they hate us," he said quietly.   "I have been looking for you."   He raised the tankard to his lips but did not drink.   "You haven't changed."   Moradas wished should could say the same thing about the general.   The last twelve years had not being kind to the old man.

"Commandant de Bandon made it clear that I was not wanted," she said.   "He wanted to put me on trial for a chaos taint."   She spoke the words bitterly, a harshness creeping into her face and a steel forming in her eyes.   

"You have been accused of chaos taint before," General de la Man said.   "Even when Commandant de Burgo was alive you were accused."

"He defended me in the council," Moradas snapped.   General de la Man smiled and pushed his tankard away from him.   He reached out and grasped Moradas' hand, pulling her close to him.

"He was the Commandant," he said.   "He had no voice in the council."

"Who then?"   Moradas pulled herself free.   General de la Man shrugged.

"There is only one who had the confidence of both the Commandant and the Council," he said.

"You?"

"Not me."   Moradas thought about it while the general played with the spilled beer, drawing symbols with one forefinger.   She went over the different members of Commandant de Burgo's Council in her head.   General de la Man but he had said it was not him.   General de Bandon, not likely.   Captain de Mangor.   For a second she considered him but the burly northerner had not had the presence or the strength of mind to sway the likes of de Bandon.   Somebody that de Bandon would have respected, somebody he would have agreed with, but who was not as vicious as him, who was not as narrow minded.   Time after time she went through the list of names and could not see anybody other than the aging general across from her who would have wielded that sort of respect.   It crossed her mind that General de la Man was lying to her, but she dismissed that thought as soon as it appear.   Whatever else could be said about the Council of the Order of the Black Shield, the truth was their only way.   The General would not, could not, lie.
He waited patiently, still drawing symbols on the table.   She glanced at the symbols and when she saw them she knew.

"Captain de Val," she said.   General de la Man nodded.   

"Why are you telling me this now?" Moradas demanded.   She had not had a good relationship with the, now dead, Captain de Val.   She had not agreed with Commandant de Burgo's choice to allow the Captain to represent the Order and the near riot he had started had proved her point.   The idea that General de la Man was lying appeared again, and was dismissed again.   General de la Man shrugged and stood up.

"The Order is dying," he said.   "We need a new home.   They are spreading these Sigmarites, pushing at us.   I sought you out because I need you.   I need you to find a mercenary army, I need you to travel north, I need you to require fine Ulrician warriors.   We need a new home and we are going to have to carve it out of somewhere."   He turned to leave.   Moradas bolted upright.

"Why me?" she said.   The General didn't turn back.

"Captain de Val is dead," he said.   "Who else did Commandant de Burgo trust?"

"You?"

"I am dead also."

Without giving her time to respond he left the taproom.   Moradas sat down again.   General de la Man could not be dead, he was just with her.   She would have known if magic had been used, if he had been kept alive that way.   She sighed and looked down at her beer, it really was not a good quality.   Still what else could she do but obey?   She owed the Order too much to deny a request from a member of the Council.   She stood up, she would find an army loyal to Father Ulric for General de la Man.

Offline commandant

• Members
Re: The End of the Order.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 12:03:57 PM »
2217 was an important year for the Order of the Black Shield.   This year marked the death of Commandant de Bandon.   There is still some discussion as to how Commandant de Bandon died.   The Council of the Order of the Black Shield was informed the he had caught cold while swimming in the winter of 2216 and never recovered.   While Commandant de Bandon was a known swimmer this was somewhat disbelieved in favour of the theory that the more violent Ulricians had murdered him when it was rumoured that he was going to come to terms with the Sigmarites.
Whatever the reasons for Commandant de Bandon's death, it caused no small amount of trouble for the Order.   The Council was split over who to follow him.   General de la Man, the last of the generals from Commandant de Burgo's era was the natural choice, but the general was tainted by the Commandant he had followed and rumours that deals had been struck with Skaven and Goblins.   Though the General denied it there was also a rumour that he had been responible for the murder of Captain de Val.
General de Valness was the choice prefered by the hardline Ulricians of the Order.   A tough man and powerful man, he was an inspiring military leader who had led them to several victories over the Sigmarites.   Known for his unbending belief in Ulric he announced his desire to become Commandant.
The Council was completely split, a split which was to be decided when Moradas arrived with two thousand men.   Her army and support, though she had no vote on the Council, swung the balance in favour of General de la Man, who was duely elected Commandant.

One of Commandant de la Man's first actions was to equip an army to march north and try and influence the election of the new emporer of wolves.   In a twist of faith which surprised many, General Valness was given command of the Army of the Order of the Black Shield, though Moradas retained an independant command over her soldiers.

- Taken from "The History of the Rise and Fall of the Order of the Black Shield, "   Author unknown

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 09:12:03 PM »
Well done sir. I have to say that your fluff is shaping up nicely.
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 12:23:31 AM »
Nice!

Also, Urlicans! I like Ulricans. They're perfectly interested in the war. Most Ulricans abandoned the neighbouring Empires for Middenland due to hatred of Sigmarites so you're fluff makes good sense! Especially if you want a big angry Ulrican nation to kill Sigmarites!
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.