home

Author Topic: Happy and Random Thoughts!  (Read 853234 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: Happy and Random Thoughts!
« Reply #9575 on: May 25, 2020, 04:32:00 AM »
Thats awesome Gankom!

If you've ever seen the star wars movie Solo, here's a scene that was cut for some reason, but its soo friken cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=BRM5HiHdjYI&feature=emb_logo
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #9576 on: May 25, 2020, 12:40:38 PM »
For numerous reasons, the not-somme battle in Solo reminded me of the Death korps of kreig

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #9577 on: May 25, 2020, 09:48:38 PM »
Hmmm ... well that explains a few things ... they were dumb not to include that piece of film.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9578 on: May 25, 2020, 10:31:36 PM »
I agree, you also get to see the locals they are fighting. Granted its dark and gritty so its hard to see, but at least it isn't just "shooting in the distance." Plus you kind of see why it wasn't working out with Han and the flight academy. He is using logic and taking initiative but they just want him to follow orders like an automaton. Plus they mention the Z95 "Headhunters" which the rebellion used before they got their hands on the x-wing. Just so much in 5 minutes that were cut!  :dry:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #9579 on: May 26, 2020, 12:10:22 PM »
I used to love playing the old TIE fighter PC game
On one of the early levels; there is a comment someone makes about Z-95's being 'old'

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9580 on: May 26, 2020, 04:22:52 PM »
Yeah, the Z95s were clone wars era starfighters. They eventually show up in the Clone Wars TV show but they don't make a lot of fuss about them. There is like 3 or 4 different Clone Navy starfighters you see throughout the show's run.

The rebels and other various proto rebel alliance groups also made use of Clone War era vehicles and equipment. Y-Wings were also clone war era starfighters (bombers). The Y-Wings in the OT movies are stripped down versions of the Clone Wars variant (below).

― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9581 on: May 26, 2020, 04:36:28 PM »
Also: yes!!!!

I REALLY want to know what happened to Vulkan at the end there.  :Ohmy:

Considering they are slowly organizing all of the IG planet by planet, I hope we go to Armageddon next since it has an Orky past.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #9582 on: May 27, 2020, 12:29:05 PM »
I found a few channels on youtube that are devoted to playing the old star wars PC games I used to have.
I chip in as much as I can

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9583 on: May 30, 2020, 11:22:12 PM »
"Skitarii...I want to enter your temple."  :ph34r:

Access granted!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:24:57 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9584 on: May 30, 2020, 11:48:51 PM »
Sometimes I just don't get some of this humor.

When I think pigeons, I think of engineers and flying pigeon bombs. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9585 on: May 31, 2020, 12:12:48 AM »
If you're unsure where the first picture came from, its from this very popular Warhammer 40k youtube series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC5cGJ7pDog

To sum up, the Captain-General of the Custodes is on Mars and needs to speak with the Fabricator-General of the Mechanicus. The Skitarii doesn't let them in, no matter how much the Captain-General tries to intimidates them. So they have their Fabulous Dreadnought, Brother Santodes, "convince them." Considering the mechanicus' love of technology, he seduces them with his fabulous mechanical body. Meanwhile the Emperor, Dorn, and a few other custodes are watching all this unfold from the throne room on Terra.

The Show is "If the Emperor Had a Text To Speech Device" by Alfabusa and its a really great show thats 1 part lore, 1 part parody, and 1 part alternate WH40K history (going forward that is). It is extremely popular among the WH40K fanbase and has even seeped into the lore and novels a bit.
The first few episodes are a bit slow, but the plot starts to kick off after 4 short 5 minute episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/alfabusa

As for the pigeons, its about people being creative with their army conversions...usually for the lols. Like this Mars Attacks Eldar Army:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:35:39 AM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #9586 on: May 31, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »
If you're unsure where the first picture came from, its from this very popular Warhammer 40k youtube series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC5cGJ7pDog

To sum up, the Captain-General of the Custodes is on Mars and needs to speak with the Fabricator-General of the Mechanicus. The Skitarii doesn't let them in, no matter how much the Captain-General tries to intimidates them. So they have their Fabulous Dreadnought, Brother Santodes, "convince them." Considering the mechanicus' love of technology, he seduces them with his fabulous mechanical body. Meanwhile the Emperor, Dorn, and a few other custodes are watching all this unfold from the throne room on Terra.

The Show is "If the Emperor Had a Text To Speech Device" by Alfabusa and its a really great show thats 1 part lore, 1 part parody, and 1 part alternate WH40K history (going forward that is). It is extremely popular among the WH40K fanbase and has even seeped into the lore and novels a bit.
The first few episodes are a bit slow, but the plot starts to kick off after 4 short 5 minute episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/alfabusa

As for the pigeons, its about people being creative with their army conversions...usually for the lols. Like this Mars Attacks Eldar Army:

Always better then the My Little Pony bret army!  :icon_eek:
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #9587 on: May 31, 2020, 11:12:24 AM »
I wish to know more of Hero-man and his very important cup

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9588 on: May 31, 2020, 03:24:26 PM »

Always better then the My Little Pony bret army!  :icon_eek:

I can only imagine that. Ugh.  :unsure:

I have 2 little girls at home and they just started watching that show. I haven't taken much notice of it until today. Fucking Q shows up. As in Q of the continuum. Same powers, same actor, same finger snap when doing his powers, same snark, same love of reality bending games. Just a different name and look. I quess the creators are TNG fans.

I wish to know more of Hero-man and his very important cup
I too wish to know more. Looks like Conan The Barbarian got to the Holy Grail before Arthur!

On that note, This is probably my favorite Conan the Barbarian story (thus far) and I absolutely love this fan made cover art:

Art by Johannes Helgeson

The Slithering Shadow
by Robert E. Howard

Conan and slave girl Natala, the last survivors of a failed campaign, escaped into the desert. After running out of water they come across a mysterious city with a dark and terrible secret.

It starts out rather tropey (then again it was written in 1933) but gets pretty good. I was kind of surprised by some of the content considering it was written in 1933. I am also surprised a few scenes haven't been rule 34 to death.

Its in the public domain so it can be read for free online.
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Slithering_Shadow
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9589 on: May 31, 2020, 08:32:03 PM »
I was unpacking some old boxes, trying to get my office set up and I came across this!

Anyone know what edition this is from?

I also found a complete collection of Star Wars TTRPG books.

They were stored with my parents for about a decade, so they're covered in cigarette smoke residue. You can really feel it on your fingers when turning the pages. Does anyone know how to remove/restore the pages without damaging them?
― Jake the Dog

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9590 on: May 31, 2020, 08:42:01 PM »
That WFB book is 6th ed, I think. Almost certain. Almost. I have it in my hand right now, and the copyright date of 2006 makes me think 6th.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9591 on: May 31, 2020, 09:02:22 PM »
is there a page I can go to to help with its identification?
― Jake the Dog

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9592 on: May 31, 2020, 09:14:19 PM »
I was wrong. It's 7th ed - which was very much like 6th ed. The two blur together in my memory

Wikipedia ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_(game)

... where it says 7th edition (2006)
The seventh edition rules were released on 9 September 2006. It was available in two forms: as a single hardback rulebook for established gamers and as a complete boxed set game complete with plastic miniatures (Dwarfs and Goblins), The Battle for Skull Pass supplement book and a soft-cover rulebook that has less artwork and background material than the hardback version. The smaller rulebook from the boxed set was approximately half the size of the large book both in size of the cover and page count. The "Basic Rules" and "Advanced Rules" sections of both books were identical in text, layout, illustrations, credits, page numbering and ISBN. The two books had different front pieces and the larger rulebook has two extensive addition sections "The Warhammer World" (68 pages) and "The Warhammer Hobby" (56 pages) plus slightly expanded appendices.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9593 on: May 31, 2020, 09:19:20 PM »
Is it a well liked edition? Like could I use it to play at a bash or at home?
― Jake the Dog

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9594 on: May 31, 2020, 09:22:58 PM »
It was fine for us. We were a bit reluctant to move onto 8th, but we did. 6th was the one that made us feel good, because it seemed so much better than 4th and 5th. I loved 3rd ed., but that looks so clunk now. 1st ed was a nightmare, but we didn't have anything to compare it to at the time and just dived in!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9595 on: May 31, 2020, 11:54:41 PM »
Seem to recall the rule book is 7th edition.

7th edition is ok, it is playable, although some of the army books towards the end of its era seemed to have been more overbalanced than necessary,  perhaps targeted at the development of 8th edition.  And don't get me started on 8th.  I enjoyed 6th edition, and 7th edition.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9596 on: June 01, 2020, 02:57:45 AM »
I found some army books too. I think the associated army books I have are 6th/7th edition. I remember buying some in loo of the army because I wanted more lore. Some I got (VC and O&G) for free from a friend.

They do not smell, much anyways, but they do have that residue on the pages. I think the two top center books and the bottom far right are 6th edition era (I played HE and my little brother played Dwarfs) and the rest are probably 7th.
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9597 on: June 01, 2020, 03:11:07 AM »
Looks like a good find! :icon_cool:

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #9598 on: June 01, 2020, 11:39:09 AM »
I found some army books too. I think the associated army books I have are 6th/7th edition. I remember buying some in loo of the army because I wanted more lore. Some I got (VC and O&G) for free from a friend.

They do not smell, much anyways, but they do have that residue on the pages. I think the two top center books and the bottom far right are 6th edition era (I played HE and my little brother played Dwarfs) and the rest are probably 7th.

I took the imagery and edition information from here:
https://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Category:Army_books_and_Rulebooks
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #9599 on: June 04, 2020, 02:08:42 PM »
Looking at that Empire books 'open copy' note is making me feel nostalgic for 2007.