home

Author Topic: Happy and Random Thoughts!  (Read 853245 times)

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
Re: Happy and Random Thoughts!
« Reply #7950 on: November 10, 2016, 09:47:31 PM »
I like LotR, very much, and Tolkien was in many ways quite progressive for his time. (Exhibit A: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/03/i-have-no-ancestors-of-that-gifted.html) At the same time, the values dissonance is amusing when read from a 21st century perspective.

"Watership Down" is another fine example of this. Good book, just some values are a bit dated.

Then again, LotR features a bunch of white people invading a country full of swarthy folk to prevent the resident tyrant getting his hands on a weapon of mass destruction. And by killing said tyrant they leave a power vacuum, and I'm quite sure they didn't spend any thoughts on nation building when they went home with their airforce and their heads full of "Mission Accomplished!"

Who's going to feed ten thousands of orcs, now without a leader? What kind of jobs are they supposed to do? Where are they supposed to go? We better find an answer to these questions, otherwise we'll have to deal with Orkaida in a few years.

And think about that some more, while we're there. How do we know that Sauron wanted to get his hands on the One Ring in the first place? Is there any sort of documentation on that? That is: public documentation, not some dubious reports which only Gandalf has seen. You know, that old geezer last seen amusing himself in a bedroom with some manchilds.

So we have his word that Sauron wants WMDs, and Elrond's word, and... that's pretty much it. Oh, wait: Galadriel, too. Two Elves. Who's the one who is to profit the most from Sauron's demise? Elves. Who has, for thousands of years, harbored a deeply racist dislike against orcs? Elves. Who turn's up at Helm's Deep just before the walls blow up? Elves.

Who was suspiciously absent from Barad-Dur when the tower fell?

Wake up, people. Entwood can't bend steel girders. Orthanc was an inside job. (The guy there was called Saruman the White, ffs.) Watch this space for more - unless the pointy-ears get me first.

As usual I am completely amused by gneisenau's take on things. I really like that bit from the hobbit.

Thank you! :-)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #7951 on: November 10, 2016, 09:58:43 PM »
I like LotR, very much, and Tolkien was in many ways quite progressive for his time. (Exhibit A: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/03/i-have-no-ancestors-of-that-gifted.html) At the same time, the values dissonance is amusing when read from a 21st century perspective.

I could not agree less - Tolkien was a true conservative. But some of the values he (as a conservative) disagreed with were the modernist (but not progressive) flavour of his day, and others are the [post-]modernist (and progressive) flavour of our days.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:43:37 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7952 on: November 10, 2016, 09:59:50 PM »
"Watership Down" is another fine example of this. Good book, just some values are a bit dated.

I think most of the characters were rabbits. Don't project your values onto them.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #7953 on: November 10, 2016, 10:02:22 PM »
I coul not agree less

I could not be less surprised. :icon_wink:

I think most of the characters were rabbits. Don't project your values onto them.

Modern rabbits are much more enlightened, I'm telling you.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #7954 on: November 10, 2016, 10:08:22 PM »
Tolkien not being an anti-Semite isn't progressive or conservative. It is just him not being a dick.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #7955 on: November 10, 2016, 10:10:23 PM »
Absolutely.

Unfortunately, at the time this letter was written, it was socially acceptable to be one - and not only in Germany.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #7956 on: November 10, 2016, 10:16:55 PM »
But "being socially-acceptable" and "the norm (and therefore it is progressive to dissent)" are different.

Anti-Semite vs non-anti-Semite was not like (for example) being a royalist vs a republican-anarchist in 1930s England. If you were at a dinner party and someone said "So, the Jews?" and you said "I have no animus towards them and consider the stances of Mosley and Hitler flawed" people would have said "Fascinating - allow me to stroke my mustache and drink more port while we discuss this". If you were asked "So, the King?" and you said "I think the Bolsheviks have many excellent points vis-à-vis their killing of the Tsar and his family" the reaction would have been different.

Tolkien was holding a view that was not universal, but hardly rejected or even outside the mainstream. The country went to war with the Nazis and, once the truth of the Holocaust were known, reacted with horror. The fact the Nuremberg trials were held rather than "Meh, they were Jews - 'nuff said" suggests anti-Semitism wasn't generally approved of.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #7957 on: November 10, 2016, 10:26:27 PM »
My my, it seems "progressive" triggers a lot of emotions here. :icon_biggrin:

Fair enough though, I see your point.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #7958 on: November 11, 2016, 08:34:45 AM »
Then again, LotR features a bunch of white people invading a country full of swarthy folk to prevent the resident tyrant getting his hands on a weapon of mass destruction. And by killing said tyrant they leave a power vacuum, and I'm quite sure they didn't spend any thoughts on nation building when they went home with their airforce and their heads full of "Mission Accomplished!"

Who's going to feed ten thousands of orcs, now without a leader? What kind of jobs are they supposed to do? Where are they supposed to go? We better find an answer to these questions, otherwise we'll have to deal with Orkaida in a few years.

And think about that some more, while we're there. How do we know that Sauron wanted to get his hands on the One Ring in the first place? Is there any sort of documentation on that? That is: public documentation, not some dubious reports which only Gandalf has seen. You know, that old geezer last seen amusing himself in a bedroom with some manchilds.

So we have his word that Sauron wants WMDs, and Elrond's word, and... that's pretty much it. Oh, wait: Galadriel, too. Two Elves. Who's the one who is to profit the most from Sauron's demise? Elves. Who has, for thousands of years, harbored a deeply racist dislike against orcs? Elves. Who turn's up at Helm's Deep just before the walls blow up? Elves.

Who was suspiciously absent from Barad-Dur when the tower fell?

Wake up, people. Entwood can't bend steel girders. Orthanc was an inside job. (The guy there was called Saruman the White, ffs.) Watch this space for more - unless the pointy-ears get me first.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
 :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #7959 on: November 13, 2016, 07:14:04 PM »
Introducing our Cardiac Cat. Mademoiselle Fluffy Latouche! One day while I was in the hospital I looked at the patients pet board and saw this pic of a cat and a number. Ripped it off the wall and handed it to my wife and said take care of this. The cat was at home in  a day and fit in well with our other calico. Ever heard the expression " enough to make a cat laugh" ? I think we can.

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/brigadierinc/media/Cardiac%20cat/IMG_0170_zpsuc7vcixr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 10:02:36 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #7960 on: November 14, 2016, 03:17:47 PM »
Well I've been painting again and it seems that my mojo is back. Perhaps it's the pills or just the influence of some of my mates. Anyway I'm feeling rather good with that, so you know - it's cool.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #7961 on: November 14, 2016, 04:52:20 PM »
Just watched the trailer and the intro of the Ghost in the Shell live action remake.

Although I will retain some healthy scepticism until I actually see the movie, much in those two clips was remarkably close to the original (although they do seem to go for their own plot, judging from those brief scenes) - in case of the intro even leading in with the old main theme. And although I still don't think Scarlett Johannson looks particularly Japanese, seeing her in the role has calmed my concerns a little. I'm now cautiously optimistic it won't be complete dogshit. Yay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5amv-vqUFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4VmJcZR0Yg
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 04:56:41 PM by Aldaris »

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #7962 on: November 14, 2016, 05:01:43 PM »
Looks suprisingly promising. Still would have liked to see a Jap main character, and Scarlett has a bad track record. Maybe they can make it work.

I'm mostly worried about the screenwriters and director.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 05:06:36 PM by patsy02 »
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #7963 on: November 14, 2016, 05:53:15 PM »
It looks like they dropped the Japanese name though. Scarlet refers to her character as 'Major', not 'the major' or 'major Kusanagi'.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #7964 on: November 14, 2016, 06:30:18 PM »
We'll see. I really like what I've seen of the art design so far, and at my heart I WANT to like this movie. Like please. Hollywood. Can I have one remake of a classic that doesn't suck sweaty donkey balls? Maybe this will be it.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #7965 on: November 14, 2016, 11:04:29 PM »
Still would have liked to see a Jap main character,

Me too. Meisa Kuroki would have come to mind (okay, she's from Okinawa, but close enough).

and Scarlett has a bad track record.

She does?

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #7966 on: November 15, 2016, 12:34:15 AM »
Kevin, stop being a c***.

(Foul language ahead, obviously.)

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #7967 on: November 15, 2016, 01:10:37 AM »

She does?
Well, Fantastic 4 and that Luc Besson 10% brain power film. But generally I don't think her acting is great.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #7968 on: November 15, 2016, 01:14:59 AM »
Well, we have to disagree on something :-)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #7969 on: November 15, 2016, 07:19:39 AM »

She does?
Well, Fantastic 4 and that Luc Besson 10% brain power film. But generally I don't think her acting is great.

I think you meant Jessica Alba. She played in F4 1 & 2.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #7970 on: November 15, 2016, 08:25:03 AM »
Jessica Alba and Scarlett Johansson are the same person, right? Also, The Island is bad, so I'm completely justified in my judgement.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #7971 on: November 15, 2016, 10:06:02 AM »
Jessica Alba and Scarlett Johansson are the same person, right? Also, The Island is bad, so I'm completely justified in my judgement.

I've watched it in german, without understanding a single word, and still managed to get the whole movie.

Gneisenau

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #7972 on: November 15, 2016, 10:31:27 AM »
To be fair though, that could be a compliment.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #7973 on: November 15, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »
Never thought that I'd compliment a Michael Bay movie.

Gneisenau

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #7974 on: November 17, 2016, 12:36:15 AM »
I've been spending too much time on imgur, so I'll just leave this here: http://imgur.com/gallery/6vQhD