home

Author Topic: The new space marine vehicles just suck  (Read 3008 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
The new space marine vehicles just suck
« on: May 16, 2022, 03:02:36 PM »
CRAP! The images arent coming through. Going to have to come back and work in this. Give me a bit.

I've been wanting to post this forever. I assume Jess Goodwin is no longer designing models anymore. At least not for the Primaris. Here are my feelings as to why:

Lets start with this:

This has to be one of the worst thought out designs ever to come from GW. Can anyone tell me how the turret gunner reloads ammo? But that isn't even the worse of it; what does the gunner next to the driver do? Just pull a trigger? The gun is in a fixed position. Why not just put the trigger on the flight controls? I know this is modded after the Land Speeder, but this is terrible. Is he just trying to time his bursts right as the pilot points the speeder at a target?

This wouldn't be terrible if we didnt have some other awesome designs come out before it. This is just crap. And how is it supposed to move around? It really looks like something out of Void 1.1 to be honest. Very uninspiring for a Space Marine weapon.

What is the point of this suit if it doesn't provide any protection for the crew?

The number of weapons on this is ridiculous, but worse this the newer design of what I assume are long barreled heavy bolters. I am not against the marines having the longer barreled guns, its def more realistic and some of my criticisms are lack of reality, however, these just look too much like 50 cals and the one thing I appreciated about 40k was the bizarre weapons.

This is terrible too. All the gatling guns showing up for Marines now really makes me feel like GW hired the designer from Void 1.1. And the mini anime-style missiles. I don't know the rules on them, so don't know how far they shoot or their damage, but when I see the Hammerfall bunker and the size of those missiles i wonder well which is it? It just looks like a cheap toy design where the designer thought that the more guns the more the kids will like it.

My irritation isn't limited to the Space Marines.

This is just terrible. Really looks like some toy design you would find at a sale isle at a discount store, where nothing about the design makes any sense.

And its not so much that these designs are bad, I just don't see how they fit with the Mechanicus. These guys are the ones building and maintaining Titans and these are the vehicles they come up with for their own armies? Makes zero sense. If you had come to me and said they were some weird imperial guard army, or some alien one, that would make some sense and I would accept it. But for being the most technical savvy of the Imperium, everything looks extremely fragile.

I don't know what happened at GW, I know people come and go. They have to introduce fresh designs and all that. But even if the older Space Marine designs were themselves silly, they at least looked like they belonged and were properly thought out. The newer stuff just looks like a cheap attempt at wowing the kids with a ton of weapons without much consideration on where all the ammo would be stored.

So I have bought none of these nor ever will.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 12:42:28 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: The new space marine vehicles just suck
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 07:31:27 AM »
Speaking as an armoured warfare historian NONE of the Imperiums vehicles make any sense.
I give the Tau & Eldar [and other farcical alien races] a pass as those things run on sci-fi B.S
Whenever i build a I.G or Astartes tank  i say to myself 'How does this work? How does that work?'

On a lighter note, when i was with G.I.JOE groups, we always used to joke about the vehicles in that. The Cobra HISS tank has a high profile, exposed gunner & a large glass canopy which will bake the driver even on a cloudy day.   

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 10:14:39 PM »
I very much have a love hate relationship with new Primaris marines and all that goes along with them. Some of the new elements and styling are pretty awesome, whilst others are just awful, they latter does however seem to prevail more often than the former...

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 10:53:23 AM »
Yeah. They're absolutely amateurish and lazy, poaching elements from more iconic designs and cobbling them together into turds like this:

What if we took a predator, made it bigger, gave it engine intakes, round sponsons that break with the otherwise angular design, took off the tracks, and popped some ??? random metal shit underneath? Hey presto, a hover tank. They all have that same look of a bad conversion using inappropriate parts and spare weapons. What were they thinking?

This thing must be the biggest sinner though.

Look at it. Jesus christ.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 10:55:57 AM by patsy02 »
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 12:24:41 PM »
I agree on the tank patsy, but that isn't even the worse of it. But you described it best calling it amateurish. I havent seen that in person, does anyone know how much bigger that is to a predator?

As far as the ATV, I was puzzled by it initially. I just thought it was meant to replace the land speeder until I saw the new land speeder, and couldnt understand why the primaris would have an ATV, then I realized it was meant to replace the attack bike.

I don't have much of a problem with the atv (except for the gun - I prefer a heavy bolter), but it just confuses me why the primaris would have it. If everything else they have now hovers, whats the point of wheels? Well the Outriders are bikes too, but why not just have jetbikes at this point?

I am not opposed to primaris bikers so long as the tech seems to match the rest of their inventory. It doesn't, and I don't know the reason why if its explained in the fluff.

Very amateurish indeed.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 12:37:02 PM »
Its 32mm instead of 28mm, of course! :icon_wink: :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 02:19:37 PM »
Havnt you guys seen the 'Mario' versions of the ATV many gamers have made

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 06:56:59 PM »
I like the size of the new marines. I also like the majority of vehicles' but not the grave tanks BS ...give me the land raider lol
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 09:40:27 AM »
Same. Primaris marines look a lot better than the stumpy old ones, been thinking about getting some and putting regular space marine helmets on them.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 12:23:18 AM »
To me they fit the Fluff right? Marines are supposed to be what 9 feet tall compared to average guardmen ?
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 04:31:26 AM »
That landspeeder. Is the gunner perched ontop of jet engines?

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2022, 06:33:13 PM »
I remember assembling a landspeeder back int he day. Looks of the new models aside, I wonder how well they assemble now.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 06:55:38 PM »
What the hell

So some kind of belt-fed bolter with missiles mounted all around it. Ok I am done. Literally just want my 10th ed starter so I can retire from 40k. This is really ridiculous.

Why not arm all space marines like this? Seems like you would get a lot more done!

:eusa_wall:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2023, 06:57:56 PM »
 :icon_eek: There's got to be some sort of a pit fall with those.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2023, 04:09:29 AM »
Did Rob Liefield design those weapons?
Is it a machine gun with attached grenade launcher or missile launcher with attached mini gun :eusa_clap:

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2023, 02:18:26 AM »
I agree with a lot of the comments on silly design, but Warhammer 40k was always derpy and stupid from beaky helmets to goofy space marines with their giant frowning bigheads.  As much love as the iconic bolter brings, the weapon design of it is completely stupid not even lining up the ejection port with the barrel of the weapon, or the earlier designs with the magazines pushed all the way forward.  Why does the bolter ammo even have a shell? It's basically a little missile which is also mega retarded lore. I try not to think too much about it all and laugh at the hilarity of some of these designs. The rocket launchers are goofy as hell. 

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2023, 02:20:12 AM »
Ha!  And folks thought Orks are goofy. :icon_lol: