home

Author Topic: Steg's Armylists (2.5k & 3k list settling for a fixed army to be painted)  (Read 24790 times)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
This is my thread for Army list posting and reviewing.

Link to my Blog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=32604
Link to my Battle Reports: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33259

Link to my Lizardmen Blog: http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14667
Link to my Lizardmen Armylists: http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14389
Link to my Lizardmen Battle Reports: http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14666

Original first post:

Alright so I finally got a battle ahead for me and a friend. Just to get to know the basics again we decided on the following:

500 point battle
maximum 1 hero (no wizard)
minimum 2 core units
maximum 1 special unit
0 rare units
and a maximum of 25 points for magic items instead of 50

He will most likely play skaven, but could also play dwarfs or VC.
If he is lucky he will have invited another friend with a lizardmen army. So we have some nice play options to go with.

So this is what I came up with:

Character - 105 pts
50 pts - Captain of the Empire
(Pistol, Full plate armour, Shield, Barded warhorse, Hammer of Judgement)

105 pts

Core - 292 pts
115 pts - 5 Knights (of the Blazing Sun)

121 pts - 16 Swordsmen (Full command) - Captain here
56 pts - 7 Crossbowmen detachment

Special - 100 pts
100 pts - Cannon

Total: 497 pts

So what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:58:34 AM by StealthKnightSteg »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Folken

• Members
Re: 500 point startup battle
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 01:41:52 AM »
Ok, given there is no need for magic defence and you only have one hero I would not take the warrior priest.  He costs almost twice as much as the captain for poorer combat stats and weaker equipment choices.  Plus, you will not be getting any prayers off.
A captain w/ the armor of metoric iron and a great weapon or mounted(either on a pegasus in which case swap the great weapon for a halberd or go mundane armor and take a lance, or go all mundane on a barded warhorse w/ a shield and lance) would be my choices.

At 500 w/ no rare choices there should be little to nothing that warrants a great cannon so I would probably opt for the mortar.

At 500 points are you guys using warband rules?  As that will change your min unit size which can allow you some more flexibility.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 06:59:23 AM »
Ok, given there is no need for magic defence and you only have one hero I would not take the warrior priest.  He costs almost twice as much as the captain for poorer combat stats and weaker equipment choices.  Plus, you will not be getting any prayers off.
A captain w/ the armor of metoric iron and a great weapon or mounted(either on a pegasus in which case swap the great weapon for a halberd or go mundane armor and take a lance, or go all mundane on a barded warhorse w/ a shield and lance) would be my choices.

At 500 w/ no rare choices there should be little to nothing that warrants a great cannon so I would probably opt for the mortar.

At 500 points are you guys using warband rules?  As that will change your min unit size which can allow you some more flexibility.

I was already worried about the performance of the WP especially getting prayers off versus the standard 2 dispel dice my opponent would get..
I will look into getting a CotE though it won't be on a pegasus (don't have that yet).

About replacing the cannon for a mortar I'm not to sure about... with the cannon I wanted to take snipe shots at his general / hero. With a mortar I just need to be lucky with getting full hits on his units.

And no we don't use the warband rules, just the plain rules from 7th edition with the already noted extra restrictions.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:35:21 AM »
I replaced the Warrior Priest with a Captain and due to having a few points left added 2 more crossbowmen to the detachment.

The idea is to take out the enemy character with the cannon and to play a sit and wait game till they get in charge range to get the frontal attack with my swordsmen (with captain) en flank the unit with my knights hoping to clean them up as fast as possible.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:10:44 PM »
So I did the battle versus Skaven

2 units of 20ish clanrats each with a ratling gun
1 general (with some sword that takes 1 Toughness down each successful wound, and shield that gives -1 attack (till minimum of 1) on the attacker)
2 Rat Ogres with packmaster

The general went in to one of his clan rat units

I tried to snipe the general multiple times with my cannon, first time I over shot the unit and the second time I just hit the last rank in the unit.
This unit came through the middle towards my swordsmen unit with the captain (unit of crossbow men right behind it on a hill (1st elevation) cannon behind that on top of the hill. And I had my knights on the left flank where his Ogres came up.

He put his 2nd unit forward behind trees on my right flank.

I was hoping to flank charge his main unit on turn 3 after he failed his charge on my swordsmen, but his rat ogres doomed up really close and I decided to charge them instead.
They failed miserable after a won fear test. Didn't do any damage and he killed 2 of my knights which lost the combat. So I turned and fled and in the following turn they fled of the table.

My cannon and the crossbowmen on the otherhand had better luck with the 2nd unit of clanrats. He needed to reform to get his unit past his ratling gun and the trees (only able to squeeze through with a 3 wide rank), because he didn't want to loose the shooting of his ratling gun.
So in my turn the cannon took aim and hit 6 ranks of the 7 total and killed 5, and my crossbowmen took another 3 down. He then lost his panic test and next turn they also fled off the board  :biggriin:

In the meanwhile my swordsmen charged the clanrat unit that failed their charge on me and he challenged my general with his. 2 rounds of combat and my general took him down and another round of combat took his clanrat family down in combat on a failed break test and they pursued them down!!

Killed the one ratling gun with my crossbowmen
They other needed to flee due to his main unit breaking from combat.

The Rat Ogres in the meanwhile tried to get to my cannon which had 2 opportunities with a grapeshot only too take out the packmaster and 1 wound on an ogre, but with the stupidity they only moved half their movement up the hill (also half movement) so they only made it into combat in the last turn killing 2 of my 3 crewmen, the 1 fled the scene and lost the cannon.

End of the game

2 Rat Ogres on his side left

1 general
4 swordsmen
1 fleeing crewmen
on my side

Captured one banner

Won the game by Massacre  :::cheers:::

Coming Saturday he will have his revenge match on 750 points, 1 hero added may use a wizard and 2 special units, full magic items allowance

• Members
750 point followup battle
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 10:19:37 PM »
So we decided to up the stakes a bit for saturday evening:
750 point battle
max 2 hero's
max magic item allowance
may choose a wizard
max 2 specials
no rare

Characters - 235 pts
105 pts - Captain of the Empire

130 pts - Battle Wizard
(Upgrade lvl 2, Rod of Power)

Core - 411 pts

121 pts - 16 Swordsmen
(Full command) - Captain and Wizard here
--40 pts - 5 Crossbowmen detachment

95 pts - 15 Halberdiers
(Full command)
--40 pts - 5 Crossbowmen detachment

Special - 100 pts
100 pts - Cannon

Total: 746 pts

I upped the staying power a bit with another unit and total ranged is up by 3 and included a level 2 wizard.

Is this a good upgrade from the 500 point army or should I take some other choices?

Note: I do not have any spearmen nor more swordsmen (though I can substitute some from my militia) and I like to keep it mostly WYSIWYG in the units, for characters that will be a bit harder to do so I'm more open to just showing a character / wizard instead of matching the items.
Here you can see my actual model range:
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=32604.msg484594#msg484594
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:08:16 AM by StealthKnightSteg »

Offline Roy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:15:30 AM »
   If the Captain is in the swordsmen, then I like a Captain on foot with AOMI and a Halberd. Thats 3 WS 5 S 5 attacks with a 1+ Armor Save for less points.
   I would like to see the Swordsmen with a unit strenght of 20 for full rank bonus. Also in smaller games (500/750/1000) shooting is very powerful. Maybe another small detachment of handgunners to take out the smaller units of reduce his ranks and US when he charges the swordsmen.

Just my two crowns worth.

Roy VonBieder

Roy VonBieder

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 10:02:05 AM »
   If the Captain is in the swordsmen, then I like a Captain on foot with AOMI and a Halberd. Thats 3 WS 5 S 5 attacks with a 1+ Armor Save for less points.
   I would like to see the Swordsmen with a unit strenght of 20 for full rank bonus. Also in smaller games (500/750/1000) shooting is very powerful. Maybe another small detachment of handgunners to take out the smaller units of reduce his ranks and US when he charges the swordsmen.

Just my two crowns worth.

Roy VonBieder

The options for the captain might be interesting indeed for the lower point cost, but I did find out that having him on a horse is ideal for pursuit also the Hammer of Judgement served me really good, about half the hits I did he didn't make his Toughness test on and thus wounded automatically with no armor saves. So I'm not really convinced that it would be a better option.

I will look into getting the swordsmen unit up and add a CC detachment then and substituting the halberdier unit and their detachment for a parent shooting unit

Something like:
20 Swordsmen (complemented with militia as proxy models then)
- 5 handgunner detach
- 5 free company detach

10-15 crossbowmen

Will work out point cost later today for this option to see how big the units can actually get

• Members
Updated 750 point followup battle
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 03:26:47 PM »
Characters - 235 pts
105 pts - Captain of the Empire

130 pts - Battle Wizard
(Upgrade lvl 2, Rod of Power)

Core - 411 pts

145 pts - 20 Swordsmen
(Full command) - Captain and Wizard here
--40 pts - 5 Handgunners detachment
--35 pts - 7 Free Company detachment

80 pts - 10 Crossbowmen

Special - 100 pts
100 pts - Cannon

Total: 750 pts

So this incorporates a bigger swordsmen unit and a little more fighting aswell as more shooting, any comments to this build?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:07:11 AM by StealthKnightSteg »

Offline Folken

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 07:01:55 PM »
Looks pretty good.  In the future directing the cannon at the rat ogres and weapon teams would probably be the most cost effective shooting.

• Members
Re: 500 point startup battle (added 750 followup)
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 04:56:17 PM »
So I posted the battle report in here:

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33259.0

2nd and 3rd post (1st post is the first battle of 500 we had)

Next up (don't know when yet) will be a 1000 pt battle no restrictions besides the normal rules.
I'll post a list soon for this.

• Members
Re: Steg's Armylists (500, 750, 1000)
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 10:35:50 PM »
Characters - 314 pts
170 pts - Captain of the Empire
(Pistol, Full plate armour, Shield, Lance, Pegasus, Casket, Sigil of Sigmar)

144 pts - Battle Wizard
(Upgrade lvl 2, Rod of Power, Barded Warhorse)

Core - 401 pts
145 pts - 20 Swordsmen (5x4)
(Full command) - Wizard here
--48 pts - 6 Crossbowmen detachment
--50 pts - 10 Free Company detachment (5x2)

80 pts - 10 Handgunners
-- 48 pts - 6 Crossbowmen

Special - 205 pts
75 pts - Mortar
130 pts - 5 IC Knights (of the Blazing Sun)

Rare - 110 pts
110 pts - Hellblaster Volley Gun

Total: 1000 pts

I'm not really satisfied with this list, I feel that I'm missing some stuff here.

I think the Captain is good enough like this to kill his magic phase in the long run, but I don't feel comfortable with the troop setup, I think it is lacking numbers versus the Skaven Army..

Anyone got some idea's?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:06:16 AM by StealthKnightSteg »

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 10:04:40 AM »
Read on the wiki that it isn't really needed to take a 25 swordsmen unit at this point level. So reduced it again to 20 and with the spare 30 points I added a barded warhorse for my mage and added 1 crossbowmen per detachement I had.

Still not confident that I will beat his skaven army next time around unless he shoots himself some more  :biggriin:

Offline The newbie

• Members
  • Empire
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 02:29:03 PM »
750pts can be a good level for empire. With only 1 wizard allowed you could go quite magic heavy e.g.

Warrior Priest: Doomfire Ring: Sword of Battle: BWH: HA: Shield - 155
Wizard: level 2: Rod of Power: Ring of Volans - 150

21 Swordsmen: FC - 151
 - 6 xbow Detachment - 40
5 Knights: Musician - 123
5 Knights: Musician - 123

4-7 PD + 3 bound spell
4-7 DD

Plop the Priest in a unit of knights and you have a decent hammer unit. The wizard can stay in the swordsmen and have one of the knights ready to counter charge when you get charged.

at 750 with only 1 wizard, few armies will have the DD to stop your spells and bounds (especially if you get a good RoV spell)
Fantasy GT09 Heat 1: 30th
LoTR GT09: 47th
LoTR GT10: 14th (and a member of the winning team)

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 03:45:58 PM »
I'll keep that in mind for another 750 point list, but at the moment I'm trying to get a feel for a 1000 point list.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 12:13:47 PM »
Also anyone got an idea on how to counter his gutter runners popping up behind my lines? Is there a rule on them that prevents them to deploy / enter the field within a certain range of my units for example?

Was hoping on a little more feedback on the 1000 point list.

• Members
Army list 2000pt 8th Ed (sort of)
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 11:34:34 PM »
So I started fidling abit around and came up with this list (taking into account the models that I actually have):

2000pt list

Lords:
267pt Arch Lector on War Altar, 2h hammer, Heavy armour, Van Horstmann's Speculum (War Altar proxying by War Wagon)
230pt Wizard Lord (Life), level 4, The Crimson Amulet

497pt total (max = 500)

Heroes:
152pt CotE, BSB, full plate, Warhorse w Barding, Griffon Standard
145pt Battle Wizard (Shadow), level 2, Rod of Power, Talisman of Protection
119pt Warrior Priest, 2h hammer, Armor of Meteoric Iron

416pt total (max = 500)

Core:
316pt Knights of the White Wolf x 12 (incl Full Command)
170pt Halberdiers x 25 (incl Full Command), shields
145pt Swordsmen x 20 (incl Full Command) (proxying 2 with something?)
120pt Free Company x 20 (incl Full Command)

751pt total (minimum 25% = 500)

Detachment:
40pt Crossbowmen x 5  (to the Halberdiers)

Special:
100pt Great Cannon
75pt Mortar

175pt total (max 500)

Rare:
115pt Helstorm Rocket Battery

115pt total (max 500)

Army total: 1994

Any suggestions to this? As I don't have the 8th ED rulebook yet I don't know what new common magic items are available.
To check my model range:

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=32604.msg484594#msg484594

• Members
Re: Steg's Armylists (20-02-2011, added 2000pt list)
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 02:55:03 PM »
To bad that I didn't receive any feedback on my 2000 point army..

I now have made a 1500 point list that I will be using next sunday versus a skaven army. I would like some feedback on what you think are the weak and/or strong points of the list I made and how to improve this. Again considering the limited number of models I have in Core.
This is a tryout game and that is why I included the Knights to see how they will perform.

Lords:
247pt Arch Lector on Barded Warhorse, Heavy armour, Sword of Power, Shield of the Gorgon, Van Horstmann's Speculum

247pt (max is 375)

Heroes:
145pt Battle Wizard (Fire), level 2, Rod of Power, Talisman of Protection
119pt Warrior Priest, 2h hammer, Armor of Meteoric Iron

264pt (max is 375)

Core:
170pt Halberdiers x 25 (incl Full Command), shields
145pt Swordsmen x 20 (incl Full Command)
96pt Crossbowmen x 12

411pt (min 375)

Special:
284pt IC Knights of the White Wolf x 10 (Mus + SB)
100pt Great Cannon
75pt Mortar

459pt (max 750)

Rare:

115pt total (max 375)

Total:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:59:24 PM by StealthKnightSteg »

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
Re: Steg's Armylists (27-02-2011, added 1500pt list)
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 11:32:15 PM »
First thought I had on looking at your lists is that you need about twice as many halberdiers and swordsmen in your blocks as you have. I know your models are limited, but until you can beef those units up you will find that they are not going to do you much good. You will rarely have steadfast, and you will lose combat and run when that happens.

I never put a magic banner on my Empire BSB. I always give him protective items, like AoMI, and a Dawnstone, allowing him to have a 1+ armor save that's rerollable. If he were mounted I would give him a 4+ ward save.

Now that Initiative is so important, you REALLY need to put a magic weapon on your AL if he is using the VHS. My favorite kit is Sword of Power, Shield of the Gorgon, and VHS. That gives him a respectable armor save (hvy armor, shield, and +1 for being mounted) of 3+, and a 4+ ward. More importantly, your enemy only gets a single attack against you in a challenge, and sword of power is amazing for wounding, but Sword of Sigismund is also great, because you will normally be able to re-roll failed to-hit rolls after the first turn due to ASF and high Initiative. You want to be able to attack before your enemy does.

Knights can be effective, but you need something to hold your opponent in place while the knights flank. The Waltar can be used for that, but then if your opponent has multiple threats you will be overwhelmed just from not having enough unbreakable/steadfast units! You really need to beef your halberd and sword units.

Your next purchase, as soon as you have $20, is another mortar.

Then more halberdiers.  :::cheers:::

Try your list out with somebody who is not going to crush you out of spite. I learned how to build lists by playing against somebody who was really a lot better than me. It was kind of brutal.

Against the skaven, definitely weaken their blocks with mortars and shooting before you engage them with your blocks (crossbows are awesome for this because of their better range).

Don't be afraid to cannon the abomination, even without fire. You have a good chance of killing it in 3 turns of cannon fire.

If the Abomination is really giving you trouble, throw the fire banner on your knights, and let them do the killing.

Post how your battle goes, and what problems you are having difficulty overcoming.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 07:37:01 AM »
I'll first concentrate on the 1500 point list before updating my 2k list..

Missing out on the 2nd mortar is why I opted for the rocket battery, after the battle sunday I'll see if that will manage enough before I get a 2nd mortar. I already was thinking about buffing my halberdiers and swordsmen asap as soon as I can aford it. That is also why I put in the big block of knights to compensate a bit...

I will play around with point allocation for the magic items on the AL, but it will mean I need to lessen some of the options I have. Less knights? Or loosing the WAltar and just mount my AL to put him in the knights?

My opponent will not crush me out of spite but he has more experience in playing then me.
I will report back on the battle with a battle report as I have done before (500 and 750 point battles against the same player still in 7th edition)

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 08:38:27 AM »
I would take out the altar to make the points. It's kind of cheesy at 1500 points.

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 10:02:20 PM »
made the changes in the 1500 point list on the AL, it let me add 2 more xbows to the list. and leaving me with 4 points. The AL on warhorse in the knight unit will make it much stronger and I hope I can swing it in his flank and then run up the entire battle line of his.

Battle Report of this will be there afte rthe battle (after I fully made it ofcourse)

Tnx Cannon for the tips!

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 06:26:31 AM »
No problem. I look forward to reading your report.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 11:37:38 AM »
Battle Report is posted.
Still some remarks to be made about this list although I only lost the wizard and 5 swordsmen (incl champion)
Not counting my model range at the moment I had this in mind:

Lords:
247pt Arch Lector on Barded Warhorse, Heavy armour, Sword of Power, Shield of the Gorgon, Van Horstmann's Speculum
(with IC knigths)

247pt (max is 375)

Heroes:
119pt Warrior Priest, 2h hammer, Armor of Meteoric Iron (with Halberdiers)

264pt (max is 375)

Core:
170pt Halberdiers x 30 (incl Full Command)
175pt Swordsmen x 25 (incl Full Command)
96pt Crossbowmen x 12

441pt (min 375)

Special:
258pt IC Knights of the White Wolf x 9 (Mus + SB)
100pt Great Cannon
75pt Mortar

433pt (max 750)

Rare:

115pt total (max 375)

Total:

-26 losing 1 knight
-25 losing 25x shields on halbs
+25 adding 5 halbs
+30 adding 5 swords
Not a dramatic change but still it will give me a bit more foothold in the infantry blocks.
The Rocket Battery did more for me then the Mortar due to dice rolling sofar I'm loving it :P

• Members
Adjusted 2k list
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 08:55:13 PM »
Ok, so we agreed on meeting again on the 2nd of april. On "Battle for the Pass". Already rolled for the scenery and it's getting bussy.
3x Mysterious Forest
Fence (3x 6")
2x Wall (3x 6")
Earth Blood Mere
Scree Slope
and to top it off: Encampment of Destruction (3 buildings, 1 more walls (3x 6") and a Charnel Pit)

Also we upped the army list a bit to 2k again versus Skaven

So here is my previous list that I tweeked a little bit:

(Edit: fixed the double magic armor on my AL)

2000pt list

Lords:
263pt Arch Lector on War Altar, Dawn Armour, Shield (War Altar proxying by War Wagon)
230pt Wizard Lord (Life), level 4, The Crimson Amulet

493pt total (max 25% = 500)

Heroes:
125pt CotE, BSB, Armor of Meteoric Iron, Dawnstone
103pt Warrior Priest, 2handed warhammer, Heavy Armour, Ironcurse Icon

373pt total (max 25% = 500)

Core:

210pt Halberdiers x 38 (incl Full Command)
205pt Swordsmen x 30 (incl Full Command)
116pt Handgunners x 12 (incl Full Command), Marksman with brace of pistols

531pt total (minimum 25% = 500)

Special:
310pt IC Knights of the White Wolf x 10 (incl Full Command) Banner of Eternal Flame
100pt Great Cannon
75pt Mortar

485pt total (max 50% = 1000)

Rare:

115pt total (max 25% = 500)

Army total: 1997

I was thinking about maybe subbing my Handgunners for Flaggelants, but I feel that I might be missing some shooting ability.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:56:56 PM by StealthKnightSteg »