home

Author Topic: A Wedding in Wissenland  (Read 49591 times)

Offline Jamesy52

• Members
Re: A Wedding In Wissenland
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 10:49:29 AM »
Does anybody know any good websites where I can get a portrait for my character? Google Images isn't turning up much.

Stand firm Sons of Sigmar! Drive back the darkness with bright steel and honest courage!
          - Father Karl Untervesh

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 12:46:14 PM »
Deviant Art is really good if you search around it a little. Also broadening google search a lot helps. Use lots of different noble titles, like Duke, Marquis, Baron, Sir etc and different time periods, 16th Century, Renaissance, Medieval. You should find some stuff if you look through long enough.  :icon_wink:
The Barony of Sonnefurt - My Army Background

Sonnefurt in Flames- An Epic Tale of Sonnefurt

Le Pistolet's Monotonous Wissenland Log- My Minis

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 01:00:36 PM »
Well I have decided...

Name: His Grace the Duke of Nueremburg, Derek Contyre, Marshall of the Armoured Guard of Hamburg, Baron of Nuestaat(in wissenland, read the Solland Effort to find out more), adopted son of Prince Seth Contyre of the Principality of Stattenland.

Portrait:

Motivation:
 None that are his own. His father, Seth Contyre has, after much loss of life to both sides and financial difficulty, finally decided to attempt to end the blood fued between the ruling houses of Wissenland and the Solland rebels after centuries of confliction and unrest.
This marriage will be purely political and an attempt to open trade lanes between the northern Imperial provinces (of which Stattenland has a majority) and the Border princes(of which the town of Onore is the largest trading partner) and of course to attempt to stabilise the Empire on behalf of the emperor Karl Franz, who is a personal friend to Seth Contyre.

What would the baroness gain?
 The baroness would gain an influx of trading partners from the Northern Provinces and a very great deal of financial security. Stattenland became one of the richest areas in the empire after Grom the Paunch sacked Nuln and force the trade routes to be reorganised through Stattenland in order to restabilise the regions that were devastated.
Also, as Stattenlands population is over ten times that of the entire barony of Sonnefurt, they would have a great deal of Military protection and aid to call upon if they needed to.
Although it matters little when that aid is almost a thousand miles away. Another reason would be the enormous prestige for marrying into one of the oldest families of the northern empire with ties at courts all over the provinces and indeed also at Altdorf due to the aid that has been given to the imperial family fiscally and the monopoly of trade that the Contyre trading co, Dominates.

Marrying into the Contyre family would also give the Baroness a massive social boost, as she would become a duchess immediately and also the wife of the heir to Stattenland.

The baroness would also have access to manage the Barony of Nuestaat that has been recently aquired by the Contyre family and that Derek is in Wissenland managing.

What would the baroness lose?
The respect of her betters in Nuln, seeing as the Contyre's aren't exactly on a first name basis with the current countess after taking part in the Solland Effort. Though they were the first to sign the treaty removing all armed forces from the region and have been paying tax to the de Crux family for the land they had loaned/bought, which, in a way stops it all from going to nuln and the countess.

Possibly also many of her people who are pro wissenland, pro sonnefurt and any other faction that favours no change, as she is marrying into a family that lives very far to the north.
Although, as with Vekram, you could turn the tables on this and argue that it is a sacrifice for stabilising the region.

Other reasons:
The Baroness would remain in rulership of her Barony and share the responsibility with the barony nearby, she would barely see Derek after the first male is born as he would be busy learning his governing duties and of course, travelling back up to Stattenland for his family duties. That is of course unless she wishes to travel with him and see the holdings that she would come to rule over too when Derek takes over from his father.
Derek Contyre is a career soldier, his first rank was halberdier in the Provincial army and after several years of prowess showing he was adopted as first heir to Stattenland's throne, his abilities as a commander and swordsman have earned the admiration of Karl Franz himself and as a result has loaned the Runefang of Solland to him for a short while.
But he still has much to learn about governing people and living at court, something the baroness could teach him, considering she was raised to do just that.
But his slow points in governance are made up for his quick wit, charming outlook and his rogueish good looks. His smile is more cheeky than predatory but when he needs to be hard, his army discipline kicks in and he can bellow orders and recieve them like the best of men. His youth at first disarms, for he is only 27(2527) and to have done the things he has done to get where he is tells a story of very great potential and even greater future.

Nuptuals
As Derek is higher ranked than she(Duke and Baron), the marriage would most likely require her to take Contyre as her surname, but Seth Contyre has insisted that she may also keep her surname of von Heisenburg as well(Contyre-von Heisenburg) but any children they had would have to be Contyre only.
As previously mentioned, the baroness would remain the ruler of Sonnefurt, but would rule over Nuestaat together with Derek, but she would be a complete outsider were Derek to become Prince of Stattenland, as he has been training for that day for many years, but, the more she travels to Stattenland with Derek, then the more people would come to terms with her and this would eventually allow her to rule with Derek.
Katarina would also recieve substantial shares in the Contyre-Statten trading company, which dominates much of the northern trade routes of the empire and has trading offices in kislev, marienburg and the border princes.

*edited to fit in with my background fluff*   
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:47:20 PM by Derek Contyre »
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 01:10:53 PM »
This is going to be a very, very difficult decision.

I'm gonna have to come up with some way of making you all compete for it.... :icon_twisted:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 02:51:11 PM »
Hmmm ... I had started some fluff on to possible suitors and didnt' finish either.  Need to review and see if I still will.

Also, perhaps going back to the original crafting of this idea and see how the suitors match up to what was being sought?  I suspect they're will be more than one finalist, but then at least its been narrowed down.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »
Lol, just realised the forum cut my post in half! Ill edit it soon.

Looks like another Solland sympathiser is attempting to annex Sonnefurt, can't have that now, can we?
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »
Its all in the interests of Imperial Stability... I swear!

Why doesn't anyone believe me?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 02:32:41 AM »
The answer is quite obvious, but its already been stated. :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2011, 10:20:53 AM »
Updated the profile of Leopold von Plauten.

Offline fauthsie

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 02:30:16 AM »
Wow this is a really unique idea....   :eusa_clap: I am quite tempted to weigh in.... and I will definately steal the idea :P
A new Campaigning home....

http://animositycampaigns.com/joomla

FAUTHSIE CAMPAIGN CONSULTING INC.... I MAKE YOUR CAMPAIGN GO!!!

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 08:47:11 AM »
Wow this is a really unique idea....   :eusa_clap: I am quite tempted to weigh in.... and I will definately steal the idea :P

hehehe Darn Kislevites...
P.s. @ Le Pistolet, I finished my background, when I eventually convert 27 pages of handwriting onto my computer I will post away.

Offline fauthsie

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2011, 02:26:12 PM »

hehehe Darn Kislevites...
P.s. @ Le Pistolet, I finished my background, when I eventually convert 27 pages of handwriting onto my computer I will post away.

Ya they are one option.... but given this timeframe another couple guys come to mind.... ;)
A new Campaigning home....

http://animositycampaigns.com/joomla

FAUTHSIE CAMPAIGN CONSULTING INC.... I MAKE YOUR CAMPAIGN GO!!!

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2011, 03:56:50 PM »
We are nearing last calls for the Wedding now, so get those entries in/finalised if you want to take part. I'll give it another week or so to allow the busier ones amongst you to get sorted (GP  :icon_wink:)

Sometime in the next few weeks (probably mid July, after my holidays) I will do a small roleplay that won't run for too long but will get everyone into the swing of the Wedding. The setting will be the introductory ball where you will all have an opportunity to court and impress the Baroness, establish rivalries with the other players, flesh out your character's persona or verse secret motivations if you should so wish. I will set down some guidelines, but it should be a short, fun romp and eventually the Baroness will decide who is the most eligible.

Depending how this roleplay goes, there may be something more exciting round the corner, but I'm keeping that under my oversized Imperial hat  :happy:

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, 04:27:17 PM »
Just a little introduction to the event for you all to whet your appetites. I will be addressing her entourage in more detail soon, as interaction with them is vital.

In the rolling Bezau foothills, Baroness Katarina von Heisenberg’s country villa shone like a beacon of decadence and luxury. This night, a cool summer’s night, where the insects chirped in the grass and fireflies fluttered through the air. There was a light breeze, to keep the temperature comfortable, and it whistled through the leaves, which were now starting to grow old as autumn drew ever closer.
The road to the villa was lined with lanterns, burning oil making a hazy orange glow that guided visitors to the mansion. The road itself was ancient, remnants of the old Dwarfen road still evident, pillaged by the younger human race when they abandoned their lowland settlements for the safety of the towering Black Mountains. The road was long, coming directly from the river port of Sonnefurt itself. Many of the guests that would arrive this night had stayed there the previous evening, enjoying the famed hospitality the town showed to guests, especially ones as important as themselves.

The villa was a luxurious affair. It was made of the same cream stone the area was famous for, as this was became orange, basking in the flickering lamplight. There were magnificent statues of famous figures of the region, famous Barons, from many different families. Outside were the most splendid rose gardens, kept by the Von Heisenberg’s for it was their family symbol, and these gardens were famed as being some of the best kept in all of Wissenland. Behind the elegant rose gardens were the renowned vineyards; row upon row of vines in incredibly neat order, but by now all used up due to the early wine season, and waiting for the new growth of the year before.

One could hardly tell that only a year before, the villa had been the command post of the treacherous Baron von Kalb, and much of his desecration due to his hatred of the Von Heisenberg’s had been quickly restored, at the Baron’s  own expense. In fact the villa looked more fantastic than it had ever done so previously, the Baroness taking the opportunity to implement her own ideas, removing the plain and mundane ideas of generations of male occupants.

The Baroness herself was attending to the finishing touches of her ball. Her servants rushed around her like a swarm of ants around their queen. They were finishing putting the great marquees up, lighting the final lamps, and laying the spread for a lavish meal of fish caught from the River Soll, served with only the best Von Heisenberg wine.

She was dressed in the most exquisite ball gown, a gift from her family in the North. They knew of the importance of this evening, for she would be assessing suitors for her hand in marriage. The gown made her look radiant, a beauty, considered the rival of her cousin, the Countess herself. The male servants tried hard not to be caught stealing glimpses at her, or to be caught with their mouths hanging open.

She was anxious, for this was an important night, but she had an entourage of advisors with her. Her ladies in waiting, Lady Eichhorn, Lady Zell and her aunt, Lady von Heisenberg were dressed relatively plainly in comparison to the Baroness, making her look all the more beautiful. They were instructing the servants too, not wanting their Baroness to exert too much effort in the proceedings. The Baroness knew she could count on her closest friends to provide an honest opinion about any of the suitors.

She also had a plethora of male advisors who had dressed up particularly for the event. She considered these men like her family, for they were all good friends of her father, and she had grown up under their guidance. Tonight was the night she needed them the most. Marshall Eichhorn surveyed the guard that had been put in place for this evenings event, anticipating the potential for trouble should Solland Rebels hear of the gathering of so many important people. Arthritiknes and Grubart the Grey were engaged in a great debate, seemingly oblivious to the events around them. Even though they could be difficult to get to act together, they both had the Baroness’ greatest interests at heart, and the Baroness saw them like the Grandfathers she never had as a child. Finally, Father Schmidt was in the villa’s chapel, praying for the Baroness to find someone this evening. It was he who would be conducting the ceremony, and he just hoped that the suitor would not provide too much spiritual conflict for either him, the Barony, or the Baroness.

With everyone assembled, the guests began to be admitted into the villa’s grounds, and shortly the place was alive with merriment, music, laughing, joking and dancing. This was the suitors time to make their move, this was the time to court Baroness Katarina and win her hand in marriage.

Please don't post any fluff yet, this is just a warm up  :icon_wink:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:52:36 PM by Le Pistolet »

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2011, 10:01:29 AM »
My fluff hands are itching!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2011, 10:24:33 AM »
I'm finalizing an entry into the suitorship contest.

By the way, where is there more background on the Baroness?

- - -

Never mind ... found it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 02:03:54 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2011, 11:32:45 AM »
Marshall Eichhorn surveyed the guard that had been put in place for this evenings event, anticipating the potential for trouble should Solland Rebels here of the gathering of so many important people

Blatant propagandist lies.  :dry:
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2011, 04:58:54 PM »
Ok, had six possible ideas, and was considering entries from Averland, Wissenland, Marienburg, Middenland, Hochland, and the Border Princes.  Some of these had a couple of basic ideas put down on paper, but today I narrowed it down, did some writing, and fleshed out one of the ideas significantly.  Definitely will be submitting it soon.  Need to walk away from it for now, come back to it later, and see if anything needs rewriting.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »
Hurry up GP!

I'm getting excited about this!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 05:57:33 PM »
 :icon_lol:  Need to review what was almost finalized this past weekend, then post it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:29:37 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2011, 08:11:53 AM »
Joshua wants story now!!!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2011, 10:49:35 PM »
Planing to put up a possible suitor tomorrow. :icon_cool:

If I was motivated to review what already written now, then it go up immediately, but I've been writing all day for Karibbean Dawn, so no more rewriting for me today.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2011, 04:23:08 PM »
A Sonnefurt Suitor

Name:  Sir Walter du Beaucamp, 3rd and youngest son of Princess Sophia du Beaucamp.

Picture:  (None currently.  Plan to model the chap, have started the Greatswords, Knights of the Black Bear, and huntsmen mentioned below.)

Origin:  The port town of Matorea, in the Border Princes

Motivations:  Sir Walter has heard the Baroness is beautiful, and he has come to Sonnefurt to see for himself.  Being the third son of Princess du Beaucamp, upon his mother’s eventual passing, Sir Walter has two brother’s in line for the seat of Prince before he’d be able to have any claim, and he sees this as unlikely.  By marrying the Baronesss, he gains the title of Baron, and any heirs the two can procreate would then be in line for Sonnefurt’s Barony.

Personality:  Sir Walter was born in 2502, and just turned 25 in the spring of 2527.  He is a bit of a rebel and carouser, full of free will, and a follower of Myrmidia, yet willing to have a Sigmarite priest preside over a wedding.  The Du Beaucamp family provided their sons with a sum of money upon reaching the age of 18, and Sir Walter spent a good portion of his putting together a small mercenary force.  During a night of card play and alcohol consumption, his childhood friend, Sir Lucas Montravo proposed starting a chapter of the Knights of the Black Bear as a cavalry arm.  Next Sir Walter worked on growing a unit of Greatswords, due to his interest in sword play, and as his way of currying favor with his mother and the Matorean military, who had no such unit when he developed his 7 years ago.  Additionally, after aiding in a particularly successful defense of Matorea at the age of 22, his family granted him a small plot of land as well as an additional financial reward.  There are those that say this was also done to get the Black Bears out of the town proper.   Never the less, the financial reward is being used to pay for a group of huntsmen used as missile support and patrolling around his relatively small estate.  Sir Walter is more of a mead drinker than a wine connoisseur, but he certainly won’t get in the way of the Baroness’ pleasure, and he’d likely be willing to give it a try.

Baroness Gains:  Increased access to more military units, and access to increased trade via the Port of Matorea.

In his trek to Sonnefurt for the suitor event, he has brought along his unit of Greatswords, dressed in gray and white with red highlights, a highly trained group of huntsmen dressed in gray, white, and green, and Sir Walter rides with his cavalry armed with a great weapon, as does his friend, Sir Lucas, and they all wear black armor with gold highlights, and red accessories.

There would of course also be access to the port of Matorea on the coast of the Black Gulf, which has access to southern shipping lanes, including protection of such from the small, yet effective Matorean navy.

And although there would be little in the way of land, Sir Walter owns the small acreage upon which his friend’s Knights of the Black Bear Chapter House sits and its structures (a tower with adjoining chapel, and mead distillery, surrounded by a wooden palisade), as well as some wheat fields, bee hives for honey, and the mead made from the wheat and honey does provide an additional, yet relatively limited revenue source.

Sir Walter wants the title of Baron, but he’s perfectly willing to let the Baroness make all the big decisions and remain in the background commanding the military only.  At the same time, Sir Walter still has an interest in hiring out his personal mercenaries, if and when appropriate, and is amendable to keeping the knights at a distance from the town, back in their chapter house, when not needed abroad, due to their reputation for carousing and drinking.

There would be an ability to immediately begin importing Matorean Mead, and the export of wheat and honey possible, if the mead facility is to grow in profitability.  Additional Matorean trade, agriculture, and fish as a food source, are all also possible.

Baroness Loses:  Her current commander of the Sonnefurt military would need to give up overall command of the local army to the brash and bold Sir Walter, but the current commander would at least retain second in command which would include authority to lead if Sir Walter was away.  Sir Walter could look to him for his knowledge and advice in times of trouble as well.

The Baroness might not gain much favor in Wissenburg nor Nuln for having married someone from outside the province and the Empire, but she can spin this as having increased allies for both.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:09:54 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2011, 08:03:20 PM »
Sooo... whats going on here?

I think we have enough suitors now, don't we? I think we should get started!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2011, 08:12:11 PM »
well there are a few things coming along next ... Claws of the Sea, the on again-off again EoW, and then of course A6.

Besides Karibbean Dawn is still running. :icon_wink: