home

Author Topic: 8th edition on route.  (Read 141855 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: 8th edition on route.
« Reply #625 on: November 25, 2017, 10:43:50 PM »
I don't even use catachans but I'll find a way to use him.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #626 on: November 25, 2017, 10:46:54 PM »
Sure as sure
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #627 on: November 27, 2017, 05:28:03 PM »
After their codex came out, I was VERY tempted to start a Catachan army. Then I remembered I had about a dozen unopened boxes of Orks/Nurgle Daemons/Ultras/Chaos Space Marines I have yet to build. Damn you, GW . . .
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #628 on: November 27, 2017, 07:40:19 PM »
I was actually quite happy with the regimental doctrine rules they made for IG. It was a nice way of customizing, and I liked that it still applied for homebrew armies. Keeping it separate from the orders (Which don't apply to homebrew) made it worthwhile to both make your own stuff and get some bonus, or staying with official planets and getting a small additional bonus on top of it.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #629 on: November 28, 2017, 01:13:38 PM »
The only downside is that he's in resin. Oh well, you can't have everything. He still rocks! :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #630 on: November 30, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »
Next Question:
Options for equipping the Squad leader:

- Power Sword v Chainsword

- Pistols: Bolt v Plasma v Hand Flamer v Inferno?

Or given it says Range Weapon List should I go for the bigger gun - Bolter / Plasma / Melta / Flamer ?

I imagine it is a bit situational as different weapons would be better against different opponents - so I have the option to kit out spare interchangeable leaders.

All comments appreciated.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #631 on: November 30, 2017, 04:57:09 PM »
Next Question:
Options for equipping the Squad leader:

- Power Sword v Chainsword

- Pistols: Bolt v Plasma v Hand Flamer v Inferno?

Or given it says Range Weapon List should I go for the bigger gun - Bolter / Plasma / Melta / Flamer ?

I imagine it is a bit situational as different weapons would be better against different opponents - so I have the option to kit out spare interchangeable leaders.

All comments appreciated.

I can only assume you are still talking about Sisters of Battle; but even if you aren't, the same would apply to all unit champs. Since you can now choose who dies in your squad (no more challenges or "closest to closest" rules), there is no fear of losing that expensive squad leader with plasma pistol/power sword until he/she is the last bloke in the squad. You certainly get more economy of force out of them now than in previous editions. After that, as you say, it would all come down to aesthetics/tactics/opponents.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #632 on: November 30, 2017, 06:09:12 PM »
Yeah. I think equipping a squad leader is more "season to taste" than ever, at least in the editions I've played (started in 4th). If you have a couple points to spare, it can't hurt. It might be a bit frivolous, but it won't be actively shit. Also keep in mind that you can split fire freely, nothing is stopping you from shooting your bolters at infantry and the sergeants plasma pistol at some monster. And after all that, you're still free to charge. Focus on a specific job is still good, but there seems to be a lot less "piece of equipment X completely invalidates taking Y in the same squad". Example: plasma guns and a powerfist or similar weapon on the sarge. in 7th and before, you'd say "if I ever want to charge with them, I'll have to forego a turn of shooting because rapid fire weapons. That's a terrible waste!" Now you can say "I can rapid fire something and charge in afterwards to mop up the remains".

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #633 on: November 30, 2017, 07:00:42 PM »
Thanks
I was mainly talking about SoB, but with IG also in mind.

I have duplications in the Superiors so some converting will give me variety.
The Inferno Pistol is a bit unusual and so I might sprinkle some of those around.

Is it best to stick with pistols? Fr1day was talking about a Dominion squad with 5 special weapons - the data description says 1 Superior and 4 Sisters, and up to 4 sisters may be equipped with special weapons.
Are Pistols a Close Combat weapon these days or am I confusing things with Fantasy?

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #634 on: November 30, 2017, 08:32:49 PM »
Thanks
I was mainly talking about SoB, but with IG also in mind.

I have duplications in the Superiors so some converting will give me variety.
The Inferno Pistol is a bit unusual and so I might sprinkle some of those around.

Is it best to stick with pistols? Fr1day was talking about a Dominion squad with 5 special weapons - the data description says 1 Superior and 4 Sisters, and up to 4 sisters may be equipped with special weapons.
Are Pistols a Close Combat weapon these days or am I confusing things with Fantasy?

Pistols no longer give the +1 attack in combat the way they used too (but chainswords and others now give you an extra attack), but you CAN fire your pistols (and pistols only, barring some special rule) while in close combat (within 1" of an enemy model). It is certainly cool, but you'd have to be stuck in combat for at least a turn to able to take advantage with that. Unless you are trying to tie-up a big nasty with a horde, you don't want to be stuck in combat for more than a round; charge in, waste the xenos scum, and drive on to the next target. As Aldaris mentioned, the entire unit-wide spilt-fire is where the plasma/inferno pistols truly shine.

As for the Dominions, four meltas and a combi-melta on the Superior, dropped out of a Rhino/Immolator, is probably your best bet. Also remember that combi weapons now let you fire both the bolter and the special weapon in the same turn all game long, but at a -1 to both shots, and they have to shoot at the same target. This is inefficient, especially on a melta, as whatever you are shooting at with the melta will probably just laugh at the bolter rounds. Best just to fire the melta only at your regular ballistic skill.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #635 on: November 30, 2017, 09:47:19 PM »
Most of my IG models for sergeants/officers were already modeled with plasma pistols so I've been running that, and it's worked out pretty effectively. The fact you can shoot without killing yourself (unless you overcharge) has been a great bonus for my officers. Especially my stormtrooper sarg who cooked himself in every single 7th edition game I played. Plasma pistols have been a great help against the various chaos marines who show up right in front of my squads.

I don't think any of my units have ever survived combat long enough to take advantage of the new pistol rule, but it can be very useful tactically. My brothers assault marines especially have made very good use out of it.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #636 on: November 30, 2017, 10:13:12 PM »
I am confused - standard Sisters come with a Bolter, a Bolt Pistol, and both sorts of grenades - so what do they use if they get into combat?

How do you apply the 1A

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #637 on: November 30, 2017, 10:21:51 PM »
I am confused - standard Sisters come with a Bolter, a Bolt Pistol, and both sorts of grenades - so what do they use if they get into combat?

How do you apply the 1A

WITH THEIR FAITH IN THE EMPEROR!!!

<<ahem>>

Part of the new core rules state that every model, if it is not shown on their datasheet, comes with a close combat weapon, which is S: user, AP: - and D:1. You could just assume the pretty lady is knocking that filthy xeno across the chin with the butt of her boltgun, or giving him a swift kick in the tenderlies. If she has the option for a chainsword (which usually costs zero points) she gets an extra attack using the chainsword stat-line (i.e., she attacks with the chainsword twice).

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #638 on: November 30, 2017, 11:12:18 PM »
In the dominion squad you have four storm bolters from the special weapons table and the superior has a storm bolter from the ranged weapon table.
The melta, combi melta set up is also good, but expensive for points and usually over kill. A combi melta and two meltas and two bolters is a good set up, and you can have that in a standard sister squad.
In standard sister squads, id maybe go for a plasma pistol swap for bolt pistol, keeping the bolter for range. However for 2pts a storm bolter is a great investment, providing the firepower of two sisters for 7pts less. Im not a fan of handflamers or inferno pistol due to range.
Ironically, due to their financial cost, they are a good hoard army. Individually they are fairly cheap points wise. Also fluff wise, unlike marines, there are millions of them. You can generate lots of CP's, but without the stratagems to spend them on you are limited in use.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #639 on: December 02, 2017, 08:21:05 PM »

How do you apply the 1A

WITH THEIR FAITH IN THE EMPEROR!!!

<<ahem>>

Part of the new core rules state that every model, if it is not shown on their datasheet, comes with a close combat weapon, which is S: user, AP: - and D:1. You could just assume the pretty lady is knocking that filthy xeno across the chin with the butt of her boltgun, or giving him a swift kick in the tenderlies. If she has the option for a chainsword (which usually costs zero points) she gets an extra attack using the chainsword stat-line (i.e., she attacks with the chainsword twice).

Bolded part is FAQ'ed btw.. should now be:
S: as User; AP: 0; D:1
So the AP is now modifiable (ATS on T'au hehe.. not that it really matters on CC for them..  :happy:)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #640 on: December 09, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »
Dark Angel codex, models, cards, dice - 3 week’s before Christmas. Damn GW to the lower levels of hell!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #641 on: December 11, 2017, 02:12:47 PM »
Will have my first 8th edition game this saturday. I'm playing IG against the Nids. What should I be wary of?
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #642 on: December 11, 2017, 02:28:31 PM »
The bugs!  Stay away from them, they're deadly!

(GP, your coffee is now effecting your brain.)
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #643 on: December 11, 2017, 02:34:51 PM »
Yeah, I've heard they're pretty hench in 8th, but so is the Guard, apparently!

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #644 on: December 11, 2017, 02:40:17 PM »
Just cracking a joke. :icon_wink:  I have no knowledge of Tyranids in 8th.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #645 on: December 11, 2017, 02:51:39 PM »
Just cracking a joke. :icon_wink:  I have no knowledge of Tyranids in 8th.

That I also knew GP. :happy:

Gneisenau

• Members
« Reply #646 on: December 11, 2017, 07:24:29 PM »
keep a lot of distance as they are crap fast! Shoot the blobs out of existance and if they field some artillery take that out also.. don't bother with the synapse givers they have plenty now anyway and are hard to target
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:26:36 PM by StealthKnightSteg »

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #647 on: December 11, 2017, 07:39:43 PM »
I havn't faced Tyranids yet, but I will be soon. My main tips are more overall army building ones to remember. Remember orders and stratagems can make a huge difference. Building your army so that it can take full advantage of the new doctrine system is a good boost. My usual army is two detachments. My main guard with the Cadian doctrine and a second detachment of storm troopers. Keeping them separate means the storm troopers can take their own Tempestus doctrine. If their mixed in with the normal guard they can't take their own, but the other guard can still take theirs.

My future tyranid opponent has a couple of big beasties and I'm thinking to take a basilisk to counter them. The artillery like that doesn't really have the infantry clearing ability anymore, but if it hits one of the bigger things I'm hoping to paste it.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #648 on: December 12, 2017, 01:09:23 PM »
be careful of the "get to deploy 9 inches away and act in the first turn" as with that stratagem first turn charges are basically a given. Hence the use of Scout Sentinels to move 9' after deployment to push this stratagem further away.

Be careful of stuff deep striking 9 inches away- although they can't charge/move the turn they DS. You basically need to blanket your deployment zone with enough stuff they can't DS too near you.

Be careful of deploying your stuff too close together so when your stuff gets charged  they can't consolidate into new combats.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #649 on: December 12, 2017, 01:41:22 PM »
be careful of the "get to deploy 9 inches away and act in the first turn" as with that stratagem first turn charges are basically a given. Hence the use of Scout Sentinels to move 9' after deployment to push this stratagem further away.

Be careful of stuff deep striking 9 inches away- although they can't charge/move the turn they DS. You basically need to blanket your deployment zone with enough stuff they can't DS too near you.

Be careful of deploying your stuff too close together so when your stuff gets charged  they can't consolidate into new combats.

They should be able to charge when they Deep Strike unless an extra rule is preventing them.. Though a 9"charge isn't easy normally

Also Tyranids have a burrowing model (with a large base) that ignores the distance between it and enemy models (bar the 1") so if you don't want a big beasty in your midst you should counter that with not opening to large spaces in your lines.