home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 637063 times)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #1000 on: July 09, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »
"One more thing before we hide....what about Greta? Is she alright? Mortus you look terrible what about you? Can you even fight or would you prefer to stay back?"

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1001 on: July 09, 2012, 08:39:55 PM »
"If we fight him they wont come. We know the plan is Teugen's, we know the others are dispensable, we know they own the town. We need evidence and we need Teugen here. Let me set traps and we can all strike together. Don't forget the reward Heinrich!"

"Do they have vision to see within the walls? We're here to stop the ritual! Ruggbroder is as likely to betray us as everyone else in this town has been. I don't believe we'll be getting that reward no matter the outcome."
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1002 on: July 09, 2012, 09:04:31 PM »
No, but they have ears, and Teugen will no doubt be expecting steinhager to tell him the room is ready
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1003 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:45 PM »
Heinrich will shake his head and say nothing more. He will move to an advantageous position to fire from, with a clear route of escape.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #1004 on: July 09, 2012, 10:32:47 PM »
Mortus smiles at Klaus.

"I'm grand," she whispers.   She puts her hand on Heinrich's shoulder before he moves off and shrugs.   Then she looks for a place to hide very quietly behind the boxes.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1005 on: July 09, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »
Nothing happens for half an hour after Steinhager leaves. Julian looks around for a way to trap the room, but struggles to find any suitable hiding places. He decides to rig some crates to fall towards the circle when he pulls on a rope - it might work as a distraction, if nothing else.

[Set traps: construction test = DEX test with +30%. Dice roll = 40 = pass. Trap set]

Looking out of the windows, the group can see that it is getting dark. Then the doors open and six men enter the warehouse, all dressed in dark clothes and carrying parcels. Klaus and Max recognise the men they saw arriving at Teugen's house for the meeting... with one exception. Magirius has been replaced by a man Heinrich has seen before - Magistrate Gorvintz, from the Festival Court.

The six look nervous but excited, and chat to each other about the great work they will be doing tonight. Unwrapping their parcels, they produce white robes which they pull on over their clothes. All of them stay at the front of the room, near the circle.

Ten minutes later the door opens again. Steinhager re-enters, along with a pale man with dark hair and a tall, powerful man... Johannes Teugen.

[Teugen's the one on the cover of the book]

These three also put on robes. Teugen addresses the others, "The time has come, my friends, for us to take our rightful place in the world. Marienburg, that stinking leech of a city, will be burned off. Altdorf will fall into bankruptcy. Our town of Bogenhafen will become a new capital of trade that even far Cathay will envy.

"Soon, we will begin. It will be difficult, but we must not waver. Our dedication gift will arrive soon: meantime prepare yourselves! Destiny awaits."

Steinhager joins the other six inner circle members, apparently drilling them on some final preparations. Teugen speaks quietly to the pale man. It is now fully dark outside, and the ghastly, lime-green light of the Witch Moon shines strongly through the windows.

A further half an hour passes before the doors open again. Two stevedores deliver a large sack, and then leave. Teugen bars the doors behind them. Steinhager opens the sack, and drags a semi-conscious young woman out from it. He sets her down beside the circle, and lights the candles. He and the other six inner-circle members arrange themselves around the circle, chanting ominously. The pale man stands by the door. Teugen draws an elaborate knife and advances toward the girl.

Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1006 on: July 10, 2012, 02:15:43 AM »
Heinrich will wait for the others to act, but will shoot Teugen before he is able to kill the girl.

• Members
« Reply #1007 on: July 10, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »
[We will act as planned in the off topic thread]

Klaus sneaks out of his crate preparing the stink bomb and holding it in his left his right hand gripping his blessed club.

"Max get out of your crate and shoot Teugen!" .....he continues to whisper "Now is the moment!"

Klaus will sneak closer to the ritual circle and throw his stinkbomb and charge right after it yelling in a loud and clear voice "SIGMAR GIVE ME STRENGTH!" If he manages to close this round to Steinhager he will try to club him in the face.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1008 on: July 10, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »
Heinrich will roll his eyes at Klaus' antics (and the fact he gave up the element of surprise) and simply shoot Teugen.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1009 on: July 10, 2012, 10:08:26 AM »
Julian waits until max and heinrich have shot so as not to disturb their aim, then releases his traps and charges at Teugen if he is not dead, or steinhager if he his, axe raised aloft with shield in his off hand.

"Grungniiiiiiii"

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1010 on: July 10, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
Heinrich and Max shoot at Teugen, just as he has his arm raised over the girl, knife pointed at her heart.

[Max to hit roll: 01, hit, hits head. S3 +d6 roll of 6! (extra damage = 57 = no) - T4 = 5 wounds]

[Heinrich to hit roll = 16. hits body. S3 + d6 roll of 6! (extra damage = 41, yes!) + 3 - T4 = 8 wounds. 9 wounds on profile, so -4 critical hit = 12, unconscious and dying]

Both arrows slam into him. Max's hits Teugen in the face, burying itself in his cheek. As it does, a blast of pure white light erupts from the arrow, sweeping across Teugen's body. Heinrich's hits him in the chest, and he falls to the floor, bleeding and dying.

Julian triggers his trap at the same time as Klaus throws his smoke bomb. A stack of crates fall towards four of the cultists...

[I tests at -20: 93, 75, 79, 23. 3 fail, 1 pass]

One of them jumps clear, but the other three are buried under a pile of crates. Klaus's smoke bomb spreads a cloud of noxious vapour over the area. The ritual candles are knocked over and extinguished, and the salt pentagram is disrupted. The remaining cultists look confused and afraid.

Julian, Klaus and Mortus charge at Steinhager, before he has time to react.

[Klaus to hit roll (2 attacks from hammerhand) = 75, 91 = both miss!]

[Julian to hit roll (calling on Grungni) = 10, hits head. S2 + d6 roll of 6 (extra damage = 8 = yes) + 3 + 3 from blessing - T3 = 11 wounds = -3 critical = 51 = death!]

[Mortus to hit roll = 86 = miss]

Klaus's and Mortus's attacks fail to hit Steinhager, but Julian - calling out to Grungni, the greatest of the dwarf ancestors - strikes him full in the face with his axe. Steinhager's skull is crushed by the appalling force of the blow!

The room is suddenly filled with a vast and horrible cry of rage. The pale man by the door is screaming... now he changes, amidst a riot of clashing colours, into something new... a thing like a large and rotting crocodile, upright like a man.

Fear tests! Unless immune.
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1011 on: July 10, 2012, 11:40:07 AM »

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1012 on: July 10, 2012, 11:43:22 AM »
94 :'(

Pass the machete.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1014 on: July 10, 2012, 12:12:19 PM »
Julian is so shocked by the appearance of the demon that he is temporarily unable to act. [may test again next round]

[Mortus rolls 27 = pass. Heinrich passes also, Max and Klaus autopass by the grace of Sigmar!]

[Demon goes first, I = 89]

The demon opens its mouth very wide, and bolts of fire emerge from within, striking towards everyone in the room!

[I tests: Heinrich = 38 = pass
Mortus = 09 = pass
Klaus = pass
Julian = 42 = fail
Max = 80 = fail
cultist 1 = 47 = fail
cultist 2 = 94 = fail
cultist 3 = 89 = fail]

Heinrich, Klaus and Mortus each manage to avoid being hit by the full blast [half damage]. Julian, Max and the three cultists not under a pile of crates are too slow and are all hit at full effect.

[Damage: Heinrich = 3 + d10 roll 8 - T5 = 6 /2 = 3 wounds
Mortus =  3 + 5 - T5 = 3 / 2 = 2 wounds
Klaus = 3 + 4 - T2 = 5 / 2 = 3 wounds
Julian =  3 + 6 - T6 = 3 wounds
Max = 3 + 5 - T2 = 6 wounds
C1 = 3 + 8 - T3 = 8 wounds = dead
C2 = 3 + 6 - T3 = 6 wounds = dead
C3 = 3 + 7 - T3 = 7 wounds =dead]

All three of the cultists are incinerate by multi-coloured fire! Everyone else is injured... especially Max.

[Players go next]
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #1015 on: July 10, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »
[OUCH!]

Klaus enraged by the sight of Max going down...possibly dead charges towards the Monster and will strike at it.

(I think you should go on rolling as you are so good with the damage charts and criticals and all that kind of stuff).

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1016 on: July 10, 2012, 12:28:08 PM »
Julian staggers backwards in shock at seeing the crocodemon. He was sure that killing teugen and steinhager would be enough to overcome the rest of the cultists... and how can they have a demon without completing the ritual?

The bolt of fire hits him in the chest and knocks him to one knee, the pain causing him to let out a deep grunt.

[fear test roll= 4! hurrah.]
He pulls himself upright and steadies his grip on his axe, feeling the power of Grungni flowing down his arm into his body. Suddenly he feels calm and his filled with a renewed sense of purpose, and the wound on his chest hurts a little less.

[if I can act this turn, I charge him, if not I don't]

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1017 on: July 10, 2012, 12:33:37 PM »
Klaus reaches the demon first, calling out to Sigmar as he swings his club...

[Klaus to hit rolls = 35, 26, hit twice! S3 + 2 (hammerhand) + d6 roll of 4 Luck +1 -T4 = 6 wounds
S3 + 2 + d6 roll of 2 - T4 = 3 wounds
 = 9 wounds total caused to demon]

Heinrich is too far away to do anything but shoot, so sends an arrow toward the demon...

[Heinrich to hit roll = 84 = miss!]

...but his shot hits the door instead, sticking in the wood.

Mortus charges the demon...

[Mortus to hit roll = 34, hits by +10 charge bonus. Damage = 4 + d6 roll of 2 - T4 = 2 wounds]

[total 11 to demon so far]

Julian is unable to act.

Max, though badly hurt, still has the strength to shoot at the demon...

[Max to hit = 18 = hit! S3 + 5 - T4 = 4 wounds]

...his arrow slams into the demon's right leg!

[total 15 wounds to demon so far!]

[Next round, demon goes first. Coming up!]

If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1018 on: July 10, 2012, 12:49:15 PM »
The demon, though seriously wounded, calls out in a language that feels like spiders inside the ears of all who hear it. Shadowy shapes gather around Max and Heinrich...

[WP test: Heinrich = 24 = pass
Max = 50 =  fail]

...Heinrich drops his bow, waving his arms to disperse the shadows. Max, however, is overcome by the dark creatures. His eyes roll back and he collapses.

[Max is unconscious. Heinrich cannot act this round]

The demon strikes at Klaus with its claws...

[Demon to hit rolls = 51 = hit Luck! +10 to roll = miss!
=05 = hit, hits left arm. S5 + d6 roll 4 luck - 1 - T2 -1 armour = 5 wounds. -1 critical hit! = 04 = drop items in arm... left arm, so no effect]

[Klaus is at zero wounds]

...It hits his left arm. He pulls the arm back, but it is badly cut. He swings his club at the fiend...

[Klaus to hit rolls: 43 (hit due to +10 for winning), 57 = miss. 43 hits right arm. S3 + 2 + d6 roll of 6! (extra damage = yes) + 6 (extra again) + 5 - T4 = 18 wounds caused! Maximum critical = 29 = death!]

...his blow connects with the demon's right arm. As it hits, the club shines with a silver light that is almost too bright to look at. The demon's flesh melts away where the club strikes - it cuts though the arm and into its chest, exploding somewhere inside its body. Klaus staggers backward... there is a brilliant detonation as the demon is utterly destroyed, scarring the floor, shattering every window and blowing open the doors... yet the explosion does nothing to harm anyone else in the room.

The demon is destroyed!
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #1019 on: July 10, 2012, 12:53:28 PM »
Klaus drops to his knees panting....dropping his club he grips his wounded arm and cries out in pain. He considers crying out for help but swallows it and just lies down on the floor closing his eyes trying to block out the burn of the cut.....feeling his life pumping out of the wound.
Silently he directs a prayer to Sigmar to thank him for his help overcoming this demon, also in the back of his mind he is counting the prize he thinks he has earned from Ruggbroder....and how Greta will celebrate his victory with him.........until a thought pushes all this away.....but what if I die.....I am dying right now.

[Fantastic.....job done Rufus!  :eusa_clap:]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:00:34 PM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1020 on: July 10, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »
After the clamor of the battle, the room seems deathly quiet... then a group of people burst through the doorway - Greta and two guards wearing the Ruggbroder emblem... and behind them Heironymous Ruggbroder himself. Three watchmen and a man in a more elaborate uniform who must be the town's watch captain. Sir Martin and two of the baron's guards. And Father Albrecht, holding a double-handed warhammer.

All of them stare in astonishment at the scene inside the warehouse. "Dear oh dear," Ruggbroder gloats, "my poor friend Teugen! And Steinhager too! They really have been up to no good... it's so sad." He laughs unpleasantly. Sir Martin glares at him with disgust.

"Klaus!" Greta shouts, running to him and examining his injuries, "I... I..." her voice trails off and she hugs him.

"That light - the manifest will of Divine Sigmar! Oh, what a glorious night this is!" Father Albrecht hurries over to the girl Teugen intended to sacrifice. "This poor child has been drugged, but is otherwise not harmed. I see that you, my sons and daughters, are hurt? Sigmar's presence is still among us, and I feel his love... I believe I can pass his healing grace to all of you... if you will allow."

The father loudly invokes Sigmar, pleading that he intercede to aid his fallen children. Then, his hands shining with silver light, he goes to each member of the group in turn. As he touches each person's face, their wounds close and strength flows through them.

[Sigmar's face is turned upon the warehouse, and at this time all healing spells transcend the normal rules! They work even on heavily/seriously wounded characters]

[d6 wounds restored each]

Heinrich regains 2 wounds
Mortus regains 3 wounds
Klaus regains 5 wounds
Julian regains 3 wounds
Max regains 4 wounds

Max wakes as the priest heals him. He sits upright, exclaiming, "I shot Professor Teugen in the face! Oh, what happened? Everything went dark... I saw... something..."

"Well, gentlemen," Father Albrecht says, speaking to the two guard captains, "surely this is evidence enough that these noble people spoke the truth? Here we see evidence of unspeakable sorcery, of abominable human sacrifice, and even of the presence of the demons of the evil realm!"

"I saw no demon," Sir Martin says, "but I suppose I cannot deny that something occurred here... yet I see here a liar and a foolish boy, both of whom I had flogged only days ago for misleading me with false tales... they and their companions could have been implicated in this... whatever this is. It would be prudent to set them all to torture, so that we may learn the truth."

"Be quiet, you stiff-necked fool," the town guard captain says to him, "I heard something under the crates. You men - remove them."

The watchmen remove the crates, revealing three robed cultists, all groaning and half-insensible. When their hoods are removed they are revealed to be leading merchants.

"Here are our candidates for torture," the captain says, "take them away! I will examine them later." The watchmen chain the cultists and lead them outside. Sir Martin looks furious. Glaring at Klaus, he turns and storms out of the room.

"Father Albrecht," the captain says, "is there any further danger of demonic intervention?"

"I think not, captain... but this building must be burned at once, with the corpses of the dead inside it. No risk must be taken."

"Then it shall be so, father. Outside, everyone!"

Once everyone is outside the warehouse, and preparations for setting the fire are underway, the captain addresses the group. "You have all done a great service for this town - and perhaps for The Empire itself. Go and rest now. Please do not speak of anything you have seen tonight - I do not wish to cause a panic."

Ruggbroder approaches them, "As acting leader of the town council of Bogenhafen I thank you for your work this night! Oh yes, you have done well - very well. You have the freedom of the town, and any crimes you may have committed are here expunged." He looks at the guard captain as he says this. The captain nods solemnly. Ruggbroder continues, "So confident was I of your success that I have with me the agreed reward, " he waves to a pair of bodyguards, who bring a heavy wooden chest and set it in front of Klaus. "it is all there, be sure... very cheap, for what you have done for me! Very cheap indeed! Ha ha ha!" Still laughing hysterically, Ruggbroder and his guards leave.

Greta remains behind. She kisses Klaus, and whispers something in his ear.

The warehouse catches fire. Above, the Witch Moon is vanished. Only the pale light of the other moon shines down upon Bogenhafen.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1021 on: July 10, 2012, 02:31:04 PM »
Rewards

Ruggbroder's chest does indeed contain the agreed payment of 5000 gold crowns.

Heinrich, Mortus, Klaus, Julian and Max each gain 300 experience points.

Additionally, for preventing the opening of a chaos gate and the direct manifestation of the chaos god Tzeentch, they each gain one fate point.

:::cheers:::
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #1022 on: July 10, 2012, 05:32:40 PM »
Mortus sighs and collapses to the ground.   She lies there for a few seconds quivering and then stands up again.   She smiles around.

"Anybody for a very good brand?" she asks cheerfully.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1023 on: July 10, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »
Julian speaks to Albrecht- "Not just sigmar, Grungni too" Julian makes a show of wiping the blood off his axe, then says a slient prayer of thanks to Grungi, not wanting to disrespect his god in front of Sigmar.

He checks on Klaus and Max, before going to the chest and inspecting the gold.

"five... thousand gold pieces. It was all worth it afterall! ha!" Julian exclaims, the glint of dwarven lust for gold shining in his eye. Julian is exceedingly pleased with himself and his compatriots.

He sticks his arm deep into the pile of coins and turns to Greta "looks like the drinks ARE on me, Greta. Sorry for doubting Ruggbroder"

Julian lights his pipe and waits for his friends.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1024 on: July 12, 2012, 12:37:17 PM »
"Gosh, is that real money?" Max says, "let me check... I know quite a bit about coins." He examines several of the coins in Ruggbroder's chest. "They look genuine! It's good to know we can still trust people, even if a few of them do turn out to be evil sorcerers... what a night! I always used to dream about being a hero, and maybe now I am! Or at least I helped the real heroes... that's you Klaus, Heinrich, Mr. Julian... and Mortus."

A thought occurs to him, and he drops at once to his knees and starts thanking Sigmar for helping them.

Klaus suggests that the group (and Greta) go and celebrate their victory. He also asks Greta if she knows where to get an 'escort' for Max. She rolls her eyes, but agrees to hire one.

The group head to an expensive inn, where they order a large meal and lots of drinks. Greta arrives shortly with an attractive young girl who seems to take an instant liking to Max... he suspects nothing, but it's obvious to the others that she's been paid.

Eventually, Klaus asks Greta, Max and the escort to a private card game upstairs... leaving Julian, Heinrich and Mortus to carry on drinking in the bar. After a few rounds of the card game (which requires players to strip when they lose... Max is very bad at it), Max is drunk enough - and sufficiently flattered by the escort's attentions - that he takes up her offer to go to another room, alone.

Greta chides Klaus for setting Max up like that... but admits that she's glad to be alone with him.

The following day, Greta gets up early and goes to work. The escort also leaves. Max bursts in on Klaus in his room, excitedly telling him all about the night he had. Klaus congratulates him tolerantly.

At breakfast, Mortus tells the others that she will be moving to a new inn, alone. She doesn't say why. Max looks confused and a little sad.
If I wanted to.