home

Author Topic: Getting some fantasy terrain done at last....  (Read 23864 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Re: Getting some fantasy terrain done at last....
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2019, 03:20:11 PM »
I WISH I HAD THIS LEVEL OF CONCENTRATION!

I need to see everything you've made, on the gaming board at once. With a few minis running around.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2019, 09:04:08 PM »
Thanks a lot mate! Heh I get as distracted as anyone, I wanted to have this all done by last February (LOL).

I need to see everything you've made, on the gaming board at once. With a few minis running around.

You and me both! Luckily I've just finally ordered a gaming mat, so I hope I will be able to make this a reality soon  :icon_biggrin:
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »
So my mat has finally arrived, huzzah!

I've ordered it from a Polish company Playmaty.pl taking advantage of the Blackfriday discount they offered. The quality is very good, although the print I've selected is a bit too stark perhaps. Maybe I just need to get used to it. So far I have run one game on it and it was much better experience than using my old grass rug from GW.

I don't have enough terrain to fill it out yet for fantasy purposes, but I did make this little mockup picture for you guys to see how is it looking together with the minis and terrain.

The flocks I've been using are a bit of a different shade of green, than what the mat is sporting which irks me a bit. I might adjust my flocking method from now on  :-P.

Overall pretty happy and moblized to get this project running again. Work has started on the rocky hills, so I hope I will have something to show to you all soon.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2020, 10:26:12 PM »
Back at it!

Wellp. It's time to get the ball rolling again. Laying out the terrain I've done so far on my brand new mat has kindled my interest once more. I am so close to being able to fill out a gaming board at last! 

Next thing on my 'to do' list are the hills. For years I have used some very lame looking foam hills, half done and sitting unfinished since I was a teenager. Time to get some better looking parking lots for my artillery trains!

As I was doing my research on how to make these wargaming essentials, I've bumped onto one of the Terrain Tutor's tutorials  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOy5yqctzzA The main ingridients here are expanded polystytene and cork bark. I really like the look I must say and the tutorial seemed very straightforward to follow.

They reminded me a lot of the rolling Rohan hills found in the Lotr movies. I must say that I've always been strongly influenced by the tolkienesque aesthetic in my warhammer endavours. Long before the movies were made I have replayed the siege of Helm's deep using wood elf archers, empire troops and plastic saurus warriors standing in for orcs. In my mind the Old World and Middle Earth have very often felt alike.

I started off by making  several sketches to get the overal idea on paper. I rarely do this as the end results rarely look like the designs and I'm usually okay just getting stuck in. Right from the start I knew I wanted to make a little tomb entrance in one of the hillsides. Naturally inspired by Theodred's barrow (in for a penny in for a pound I guess with the lotr nonsense)!

The beggining was as usual. Made some ovalish MDF bases. I know these can warp over time, but I really like their weight and how they sit on the table. I ain't wasting my pvc supplies on this!!!

As the tutorial suggested, I cut off strips of cork bark to act as my rocky hill slopes. Making this look convincing is harder than I thought! At this point I've also constructed the portal leading to the tomb, using some trusty PVC strips. 

I fiddled around a lot trying make the door fit the corkbark. Fortunately it is a very pleasant and soft material to work with and this did not take too long.

After I was happy with how the rocky bits looked, I stuck them to the bases, creating these odd looking hill 'shells'. After that I cut some expanded polystyrene to shape and stuck it down to make the bulk of the hills. It's a bit tricky to describe, but dead easy essentialy:

After some vigorious shaving off of eccess material, sanding and gap filling I blended all the joints by smushing it all in spackle. 

Note the different shade of the filler on my "tomb hill". I was trying to get a bit of work done in the morning before work and I've left the pot of filler open for the day. Naturally I came home to a rock hard pot of spackle. FUN. Luckily I had another one. This confirms my suspicion that no real model making can be accomplished this bloody early in the morning.
After the spackle had set, it was a simple matter of gluing down a solid covering of sand and grit, with a couple of larger rocks and bits of cork here and there. Here some sharper, non-cell phone pics:

Pretty happy with how this is going, hope I can get the painting done soon.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2020, 10:55:09 PM »
WOW!!!!!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2020, 12:30:25 AM »
looking very good! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2020, 12:17:36 PM »
Really nice terrain pieces!  :eusa_clap:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2020, 12:55:28 AM »
Cool! :eusa_clap:

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2020, 11:11:23 AM »
The hills are finished!

Actually they have been finished for almost 2 months now, but I was holding off posting pictures untill I add some white flowers. However, I could not find any that I would like and this will have to wait for some calmer times. Theodred I hope will forgive me  :icon_wink:.

I tried a new technique and made the moss on the rock faces with ground down herbs. They make a fine powder with an interesting texture...but my terrain pieces smell funny! Hope this goes away over time.

Anyways with these three hills I should be able to fill out a board quite nicely. I will set up a table soon and snap a quick picture.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2020, 12:28:23 PM »
Great stuff! Just acquired some pieces of blue sm from the roofer. Going to attempt something similar. I hope it turns out as good as yours😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2020, 02:57:03 PM »
The hills are finished!

But are they alive with the sound of music ?

Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2020, 10:21:25 PM »
I haven't got any games scheduled against sisters of battle, but should one ever happen I will let you know ;)

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2020, 10:44:49 PM »
Great stuff! Just acquired some pieces of blue sm from the roofer. Going to attempt something similar. I hope it turns out as good as yours😺

Cool! Show us when you make some  :smile2:!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2020, 11:41:24 PM »

Cool! Show us when you make some  :smile2:!

Lol. I was so inspired this morning with that terrain, I started today 😺 you can check it out here if you like.

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=52205.650
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2020, 04:49:32 PM »
Woah! That's great!

I will  :icon_biggrin:.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2020, 05:01:39 PM »
Woah! That's great!

I will  :icon_biggrin:.

Thanks very much!
If I’m organized enough this weekend, I’ll burn some stone markings into the walls.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2020, 03:31:01 AM »
Good looking hills! I think this is one of the hardest terrain pieces for finding that sweet spot compromise between looks and playability.

White flowers missing indeed! Maybe it is fall?
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2020, 07:58:40 AM »
Good looking hills! I think this is one of the hardest terrain pieces for finding that sweet spot compromise between looks and playability.

White flowers missing indeed! Maybe it is fall?

Thanks a lot!

I think the lowest of the hills is best when it comes to actuall gaming. The other two are a bit too steep, but still usable of course. A lesson learned again.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2020, 11:23:40 AM »
Sup guys?

It's been a while again. I haven't been devoting much time to terrain bulding lately (for fantasy at least). I did play a couple of games however and did manage to set up the table and take some pictures:

And with some models added. My Goblins are getting trashed by my brother's freshly painted VC:

Other than that not much update, although I did however some modest painting on a couple of resin barricades and fences:

These are meant for my upcoming malifaux terrain setup, but can be easily used for fantasy too. I have been also working on my 40k terrain collection, so perhaps I could post it here also if you guys would be interested in that.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2020, 11:53:56 AM »
Looks great!  Feel free to share your 40K terrain, or start a thread for it in the 40K area.  :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2020, 11:48:47 AM »
That is some really great looking terrain! Very thematic!
And yes please, some 40k terrain would be nice.
What warband do you play in Malifaux? I love the game, but it seems kinda dead around here.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2020, 12:50:05 AM »
Hi guys.
I am sorry I’ve disappeared again. Between summer, the pandemic and some turbulence with work that it caused, I wasn’t able to do much miniature-wise. There was also some re-arranging of the living space to make place for a permanent home office, which left me without my working area. It has all been mostly resolved now thankfully. I’ve missed painting I must say. I have been making some progress again, as my situation stabilizes finally (no idea for how long though). As we move into yet another lockdown, I hope to make as much of it as I can.

So what have I been up to when it comes to terrain? The answer is not that much! I have some new plans to expand my fantasy collection in the nearest future (probably some ruins first), but right now I allow myself to just paint/convert whatever I want to get back into swing. I’ve been working on some of my undead and a slew of random projects that caught my fancy. One of them is Necromunda. Me and my brother bought the 2018 starter set (me taking the Escher and him Goliaths) back in the day. Haven’t done much with it until this year. Currently we are running the dominion campaign and having a blast. I am enjoying the game for what it is - more of an RPG type experience than a wargame I'd say. Which is not a bad thing at all! The rules could do with a bit of tighter quality control, as we constantly have to come up with home rules. However, all the crazy characterful stuff it provides is more than enough to keep us hooked. Here is my current gang - the Twisted Sisters:

The game requires a metric ton of terrain to be played with the Sector Mechanicus rules, so we are slowly upgrading our 40k city fight board to match. Here’s a couple pics from our recent scrap:

(the sparkly pebbles were used to mark underhive fungi which we were fighting for).

The board itself is scratch built out of mdf and pvc sheets, with the terrain mostly mdf and GW plastic kits. I will take some more detailed and individual shots when we meet up to play again. Here's also a shot from a zone mortalis game we've played, where we were trying to take over a drinking den:

(we always try to add something to represent the random turf card we are fighting for).

@Novogrod
Sorry I’ve totally missed your question mate! I play strictly one crew – Viktorias. Here’s a couple pics of my small collection:

I really like how they’ve changed their rules in M3E. Much more toned down when it comes to damage, but much better rounded. I enjoy the games more and my opponents hate me less (no more evaporating entire crews in a single activation helps I guess). I am planning on getting Von Schill soon. As for playing – the system is struggling a bit in Poland, whereas it was very popular in M2E. The current situation is not helping of course. I have a pretty tight group of 6-7 friends who play, organising small events etc. so last year I have actually been gaming quite a lot. Plus my significant other plays Parker, so I am pretty fortunate to be getting some gaming even in lockdown. Love Malifaux, one of my favourite games by far! I am slowly gathering materials to build a terrain set for that one too.

What do you play? Is it that hard to find opponents in your area?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 01:02:23 AM by The Black Knight »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2020, 07:43:40 AM »
The mini-Stonehenge is charming.  :-)

Please explain how you did the windows of the ruined 40K buildings! Ready-made, plasticard strips, or something else?

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2020, 03:21:14 PM »
I like the looks of the 40K terrain! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2020, 03:50:15 PM »
Thanks guys. Glad you like them

The mini-Stonehenge is charming.  :-)

Please explain how you did the windows of the ruined 40K buildings! Ready-made, plasticard strips, or something else?

-Z

If you mean the bars in the windows (or whatever they are called) this is how I got them. The MDF kits were very cheap and basic, this was almost all the detail they had.

I felt they were a bit too basic, so I’ve added some vertical and horizontal articulation. The moulding was done with strips of cardboard and the corners were thickened using foamcore, that was shaved down to shape. Next the entire thing was covered in spackle mixed with sand. After that I’ve added all the battle damage and rubble. MDF is a hard material to drill in, even with a dremel tool!
Here's how they looked before painting:

I don't seem to have any good photos showing them off in extensive details after they were finished, so this will have to do:

used as a backdrop for some of my brother's guard, along with our other terrain on the custom board we've made together (will talk about that one too soon).

Being defended against some rebel scum (all 40k models are by my brother again).