home

Author Topic: Demigryphs with 6e Knightly Orders riders - two completed units  (Read 14044 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Reiksguard War Chickens - first conversions done
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 01:13:30 PM »
For the record, I'm pretty sure that leopards and panthers are actually the same thing and it's just a convention that we call an all-black leopard a black panther rather than a black leopard. And in medieval heraldry a spotty cat-like creature is usually referred to as a panther, not a leopard. So Knights Panther does make sense.

But Knights Black Panther does seem like a cool idea!  :eusa_clap:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2018, 08:28:23 AM »
All big Eurasian cats belong to the genus Panthera, which I believe comes from Greek. So lions and tigers are panthers too.

Leopard is Latin, and literally means 'spotted lion'.

:mrgreen:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 08:44:25 PM »
Dark Lord Galax, I remembered another thing I should probably tell you, if you're going to use the 6th edition knight legs. They don't fit as-is into the saddles of the demigryphs. Mainly because the legs come with their own saddle swept around the groinal area of the knight like a diaper. I solved it by simply cutting away the saddle-diaper from the knight legs, and filing/cutting/carving the armour faulds to reach all the way around. It wasn't too difficult, especially since that area wouldn't be seen much anyway due to the cloak, but it was rather time-consuming. Just thought I'd forewarn you.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Dark Lord Galax

• Members
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2018, 02:32:56 AM »
Well, thank you for the advice!
I was still wondering about bits to use, and since my works are divided on various phases, wasn't thinking about how 6th ed. pieces would fit.
I'll see how to solve this issue but your suggestion may be the one I'll go for  :happy:
:x  :mellow:  :ph34r:  "Fede, acciaio e povere da sparo"  :engel:  :happy:  :dry:

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 08:36:28 PM »
If your friend is short on spare heads, I might have some extra ones I could send you. Depends on which specific bitz you want. The jousting helmets, in particular, I should have many spares of, I haven't used that one much.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2018, 11:45:38 PM »
I got my first Knights Panther War Chicken converted, the musician of the unit:

The horn was made from greenstuff fitted around a bit of stiff steel wire bent into an arc, and put through a hole I had drilled through the gauntlet of the rider. On the cloak, I took my greenstuffing to a new level. Those cloaks, as they are, are too long to fall naturally along the back of the rider, the mount gets in the way of that. Glueing them as they are makes them flutter way too much in the wind. So I cut the cloak into several pieces and bent them relative to each other to get it to smoothly get around the shoulders of the rider, then fall almost vertically down to the back of the mount, and fold along the back. Or, that was the idea. In reality, it doesn't entirely rest on the back of the mount, but is slightly above it, but close enough to pass for the effect of movement. Anyway, I filled the resulting cutting seams and gaps with greenstuff and sculpted the fur.

I have never greenstuffed and sculpted on this level before, and I'm quite surprised how well it turned out. That's something I've found out time and again: If you just dare try out new things, you'll be surprised to find out what you're capable of. Look for opportunities to push your limits. I too was a terribad hobbyist once, my first conversion literally ended up having two left hands, something I didn't realize until a guy at the gaming club realized.

Thread title changed since it's no longer just about Reiksguard.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Demigryphs with 6e Knightly Orders riders - conversions
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2018, 01:16:42 AM »
Looking really good. A lot of work on that cloak.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2018, 05:45:39 PM »
great job on the cloak. I will give that a try too.

so...what are you going to do with all the spare demigryph riders? Will they get downgraded to horse knights?
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2018, 07:08:16 PM »
I don't foresee myself needing to make many more horse knights, and I have spare bitz to make more 6th edition ones, that'd be more stylistically in line with the rest of my army. The thought did occur to me that the six demigryph riders I have are now sufficient for a whole horse knight unit. They could make for a unique unit of Knights Griffon. If anyone wants them, along with barded warhorses, I'd be up for selling or trading.

Offline Alex-bbr

• Members
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2018, 10:40:22 AM »
Really nice looking conversion. Glad to see that i'm not the only one to add plumet on demi gryph head.   :-)

I don't foresee myself needing to make many more horse knights, and I have spare bitz to make more 6th edition ones, that'd be more stylistically in line with the rest of my army. The thought did occur to me that the six demigryph riders I have are now sufficient for a whole horse knight unit. They could make for a unique unit of Knights Griffon. If anyone wants them, along with barded warhorses, I'd be up for selling or trading.

I may be eventually interested  :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:43:13 AM by Alex-bbr »
The Guard dies and does not surrender...

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2018, 11:41:03 PM »
Really nice looking conversion. Glad to see that i'm not the only one to add plumet on demi gryph head.   :-)

To quote myself from your thread:

Yay, someone else also came up with the idea to add knight box plumes to the heads of the demigryphs!  :-D

:happy:

I will stash away the spare bitz of the demigryph box I'm currently working on, to keep it all together. The only things I'm using myself from that box are the mounts and their harnesses. The spares of the first box have already been put into my general bitz box. It's very well-sorted so I should be able to find almost everything, but some random minor item might go missing.

Poke me if you decide you want the riders. I could either sell you them or trade, straight 1:1 swap for 6th edition knightly orders if I can't think of anything else.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2018, 07:44:00 PM »
Long dry spell, back to hobbyism  :happy:

I'm converting the two remaining Demigryph Knights Panther as we speak.

Need some help from our in-house classicists. Been thinking about the banners of both units. Latin text is mandatory. Need to be sure I get it right, and Google Translate is... Google Translate.

First banner should read Crown of Victory. As far as I can tell, that'd be CORONA VICTORIAE

The second banner should read Black Death, Black Panther! As far as I can tell, that'd be MORS NIGRA, PANTHERA NIGRA!

Correct or not?

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 10:34:44 PM »
I already posted these in the monthly painting goals, but might as well do here too. The Demigryph Knights Panther are converted.

I have to say that building two units of demigryph knights has managed to change my attitude entirely towards them. I used to despise them for being representative of everything that was wrong with 8th edition, so that led them to become guilty by association in my mind. I never liked the rider models much either, they were an unwelcome break with the style of earlier editions. Too little glory, flair and flamboyancy, too much memento mori.

Building these units though, on my own terms, has changed it all. These look properly to me like the pinnacle of Imperial chivalric glory, elite knights riding magnificent beasts of war, while still recognizably Imperial in the style of the old knightly order plastic box we all love. Before, I was determined to be able to win without having to field any demigryph knights. Now, I'm eagerly looking forward to putting them on the table.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »
Wow I've only know stumbled upon this thread. These converstions are awesome, and much, much cooler than the official Demi models. :Ohmy:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2020, 07:34:47 PM »
Had a longer break from the hobby, now back in the saddle. I managed to finish the first Reiksguard Demigryph Knight:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2020, 07:55:08 PM »
Welcome back Konrad!

You haven’t lost your touch either 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2020, 08:41:06 PM »
Snazzy! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2020, 09:08:44 PM »
Glad to see you back, Konrad. Hope you pick up some speed and present the full units of demigryph knights soon.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2020, 12:12:00 AM »
Finishing the rest of the unit is indeed next on the agenda.

I have to say that the armour of the first guy turned out darker than I had expected and planned. The contrast provided by that gold trim does it, I suppose. A satisfactory result nonetheless.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2020, 12:58:42 PM »
Welcome back, Konrad!  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2020, 10:09:47 AM »
Alright, first unit done. Reiksguard-style Demigryph Knights por favor:

For the standard, I actually used a black ink pen to draw the letters and the outline of the laurel wreaths. I'm not that good at freehanding. Not at drawing either actually, it took quite a bit of covering up with paint and trying again to get it right to a satisfactory degree.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2020, 11:26:09 AM »
I find banner heraldry is the most difficult to paint - but I have little to no painting skills. I just create my banners using ppt, make good colour prints and glue them on.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2020, 12:12:34 PM »
I will certainly consider going for all paper banners if I start a new army, but I'm kind of invested in doing it the usual hard way for my Empire and for my Elves.

When I finally get around to making my new BSB, I will certainly make the design digitally first, so that I have a model from which to do the painting.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2020, 12:15:12 PM »
Those gryphs are amazing. That cloak on the middle guy is a pile of work but totally worth it. I wouldn’t even consider trying that.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2020, 05:45:13 PM »
Artoban, you are too kind. The double eagle is not freehanded by me, it was there on the original bit, I just had to highlight it gold.