home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 637203 times)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #7900 on: July 26, 2014, 02:28:46 PM »
Klaus will have a couple of drinks with julian and observe the party wihout any dancing.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7901 on: July 28, 2014, 10:06:11 AM »
"You can teach a course if you like, Ulrun," Janna says, clearly amused by the idea. "but you're right - a proper surname would be a good idea. I can assure you that no one is going to call you Professor Magnificient!"

The firework display continues. Each of the glowing symbols explodes, one after another, with less and less time between the explosions. More rockets blast into the sky, so that for what seems like an eternity Middenheim is surmounted by a canopy of fire and lightning.

It ends with a tremendous detonation that blazes like a new sun. Then, there is only silence and a few drifting clouds of smoke. The crowd applaud wildly. The carnival is over!

The party continues until the early hours of the morning. But at last, the group return to their beds.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7902 on: July 28, 2014, 10:12:10 AM »
The next day is Wellentag the 22nd of Sommerzeit. Now that the carnival is over, most of the visitors to the city will be returning to their homes. A lengthy cleanup operation is about to begin.

Julian is due to duel the Knight Eternal at noon, in the Palace grounds.
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #7903 on: July 28, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
Mortus will turn up at the inn quite early in the morning.   She seems cheerful and rested.   If none of the others are up she will order a fine breakfast for herself and wait for them.   If they are up she will join them.   She is chatty and well mannered though she will order a glass of brandy with her breakfast.   It sits, untouched, in front of her.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #7904 on: July 28, 2014, 06:11:05 PM »
Ulrun comes to the inn after his light fruity breakfast (from his new chef/apprentice halfling!) and sits down with Mortus before the others get up. He stands next to her empty table holding a half devoured apple in his hand. "Ms Mortus." he says to her politely. "Do you mind if I sit?" (he assumes she says yes.) he asks before plonking himself down. He takes a bite and notices the brandy. "Stiff drink for the morning don't you think?" he says happily in a non judgmental way. "It's unusual to see a wizard drinking before 10, especially as alcohol and wizardry have been known not to mix. I once knew a professor who liked a tipple. He was an illusionist. Every ten seconds there'd be a flash of ribbon showing or a bemused squirrel flopping out of his robes." he pauses. "that's not a euphemism." he points out. "Whilst it was hillarious, he nearly caused a riot when he cast a couple of terror based spells irresponsibly. The guild had to shut him down." He pause again. "Speaking of which. My guild has taken note of you." he says directly. "They've noticed you aren't a member and that it is illegal to practice outside of the guild." he looks slightly more serious. "They haven't done anything, what with our newfound fame but they have requested that I ask you to join. Your prestige should eliminate the need for a real apprenticeship and it covers you legally." he raises his eyebrows and takes another bite. "What do you think?"
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #7905 on: July 28, 2014, 09:19:28 PM »
Mortus greets Ulrun cheerfully and offers to buy him breakfast.   She explains, by way of reason, that her breakfast is very fine.   She smiles at his comment about the brandy and lifts the glass to examine the amber liquid in the light shining through the inn window.   

"You are an illusionist are you not?" she asks.   She will wait until he replies.   "A magnificent illusionist I believe.   I would expect an illusionist to recognize an illusion.   You will see, if you examine closely, that there is still a full measure in the class.   When I have finished eating there will still be a full measure in the glass and when we leave the inn there will still be a full measure.   There is a member of the party for whom it is calming to think that one drinks a little."   

She laughs at his story about the illusionist, though it seems a bit forced when he speaks about the guild.

"I knew an illusionist once.   He tried to convince a small group of children that there was a goat among them at a birthday party.   One of the children, who was maybe five at the time, was so convinced that the goat was butting him that he hurried away to his father.   It took us the rest of the day to bring him back.   Only the promise of sweet cakes was enough.   The poor boy was terribly confused when the sweet cakes turned to hard bread in his hands."   She smiles at the memory for a few seconds and then her eyes harden, like she is remembering something else, possibly connected.

She shakes her head slightly and then takes another few bites of her breakfast and puts the brandy glass on the table again.   "Klaus can be very interfering," she says.   "He likes to think of himself as the leader of the party and he tends to expect us to dance to his tune.   A little brandy from time to time prevents him from looking overly closely into my affairs.   I would suggest that it is better to ensure that he does not try and run your affairs too much.   Enough to keep him happy but not enough that he thinks you can dictate to you how you should behave."

When he mentions the membership of the guild her eyes cloud slightly.   

"I was hoping that I could avoid their notice," she says.   "But Klaus' interfering put paid to that idea.   I suppose they will want to speak with me on the subject.   I will speak with the deputy High Wizard today if I see her.   I am sure they will ensure to speak with me before I leave Middenhiem, no doubt Klaus' interfering will have already ensured that.   I have no desire to have legal troubles in Middenhiem."   She stops again and her eyes harden for a second as if she is remembering something.   Then she takes another bite and waves a piece of bread in the air.

"It seems petty to ask but what can you tell me of Lena, you being in Middenhiem longer than me?"

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7906 on: July 29, 2014, 10:06:52 AM »
Julian heads down to breakfast a few minutes after the others. He looks slightly worse for wear, but after some food he quickly perks up, the grease from the bacon seemingly working as a restorative

“so lads, I don’t know if you saw me speaking to the Graf last night, but I think I’ve been able to convince him that we can build a line of Semaphore towers… remember that haunted one we had to sort out?”
Julian unfurls the plan and places it on the table.

“I’ve got to do some experiments over the next few days but I think I can invent a new chemical which will make building these quicker, stronger and cheaper. But this is only the first step that I have planned.” Julian grins and takes a swig of his breakfast ale “How does Stonebridge Associates sound for the best damn engineering company in the old world. But I could do with some help from you. Max I was wondering if you wanted to be my Lawyer. First thing would be to register the company with the proper authorities, but you probably know more about that than I do.

After the semaphore line I want to run a system whereby dwarvish engineers travel around the Empire on boats, Billy would be chief admiral for me, fixing and building things in remote places which can’t normally be serviced. There are enough dwarfs here and in the Greathammer clan to fill my company with labourers and engineers.

And I’ll have magical keystones for peoples houses, to act as an alarm.

So, what do you think, want to help me out?”
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7907 on: July 29, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »
"Sounds good to me, Boss," Ragni says loudly, "Dunno what I can do to help, but I'm ready to do whatever you need. Suppose I could put money in! Stonebridge Associates! I like that. It'll be good news for my clan - even if the new minework is going well, there'll still be lots of dwarfs needing work."

"I'd be honoured to be your lawyer, Mr Julian, sir." Max says, in a solemn voice. "I'm a very junior lawyer still, but I'll do my best. More semaphore lines will make communication so much easier - it would be wonderful to be involved in something like that."

"Aye, and there won't be any bloody walking corpses in the Boss's towers!"

Max laughs. "That's a relief! Mr Julian, sir, I'll start on the legal work right away."
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:23:10 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #7908 on: July 30, 2014, 05:27:23 AM »
Admund spends the morning sleeping off the drink from the party the night before. He awakens and spends some time down in the common room sitting quietly and relaxing, his feet up by the hearth and smelling the oats and baked breads from the kitchen. He spends time catching up the Kurt the barman over breakfast.

He gathers his clothes from the washerwoman and returns to his room to change. Leaving his knight's cloak in the trunk of his room, he dresses more simply as he normally does. His tunic freshly washed and his City Watch tabard freshly cleaned and starched nearly seem to glow vibrantly in the morning light with all the sweat, blood, and filth washed out. He hangs his golden medallion bearing the insignia of the Knights Panther around his neck, and fastens on his sword before joining the others. He sits at Julian's table and listens quietly, eating some biscuits and peering at plans Julian lays out on the table.

"Semaphore lines?" Admund says swallowing a biscuit. "It'd be a long way to build a line of those anywhere significant. Never been in one myself..." Admund tilts his head to look at Julian's drawings and sketches.

"Sounds ambitious." Admund says going back to eating his biscuits. "Looks like you've got some work cut out of you. Going to be a lot of building and designing by the looks of it."

"Shouldn't your mind be on this duel you have in a few hours?"
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7909 on: July 30, 2014, 09:23:22 AM »
"Ha," Ragni says, laughing, "dwarfs are the fastest and the best builders there are. A few towers won't be a problem. As for Sir Shiny Arse, the Boss doesn't need to think about how he's going to beat him! It's gonna be easy."
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #7910 on: July 30, 2014, 09:59:37 AM »
Klaus too started the day slow enjoying being able to rest a bit longer in his bed before getting up. The clothes he puts on are from fine material but not pompous and more of a practical nature he leaves his breast plate and his weapons in the room when he goes down to have some breakfast, he wears his medallion visible on his chest and smiles widely being in very good spirits.

As he sees Mortus and Ulrun at the table he greets them but feels the rather stiff atmosphere as he sits down. "Good morning you two, I hope you too had a restful night. Kind of incredible what has been going on lately...good to have a respite. Ulrun I have seen you talking to Jana yesterday...great woman isn´t she? Maybe you know a bit about her from your time at the guild...care sharing some gossip? Did she pick up on my suggestion to give the two of you some sort of magicians promotion? I thought it wouldn´t harm to get some extra credit being involved with the wizards guild right from the start of the investigation."

As Julian sits down and explains his plans Klaus nods to the idea. "I think you should be able to make a considerable profit from this business....if there remains peace. From what I heard yesterday at the party there is some turmoil brewing especially with the Emperor acting a bit shady. I think we have not seen the end of this effort of the different cults trying to harm the Empire. We foiled some plots at Bogenhafen and now here...I wouldn´t be flabberghasted if there are other cells working in the other major cities...maybe the local authorities deal with them but I guess it wouldn´t harm to continue the trail we have as long as it is warm. I have already told Ulrun and Admund that there might be even more to do for us......"

To Admund reminding Julian of the Duel he just nods...."Well I am sure you will make short work of him...If you defeat the man I would try to have him resign from his post....part of Middenheim being in such a great peril were incompetent persons on important positions. Someone with higher morals and virtues might be needed as the protector of Middenheim, even though the post might be more symbolic....maybe especially because it is so symbolic."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7911 on: July 30, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »
Later that day, the group head to the palace for Julian's duel with the Knight Eternal. The palace guards let them in without question.

The duel is being held in a paved area in the far corner of the palace gardens, out of the sight of curious citizens. The duelists are to fight using the same rules as the champion fights during the carnival: each is to wear a sleeved mail coat, a mail coif and a helmet, and to wield a shield and blunted sword. No magic is to be used. The fight will end when one party yields or is otherwise subdued.

Sir Siegfried, looking uncomfortable without his magical armour, is already waiting when the group arrive. His second stands beside him, holding his sword. Ragni will act as Julian's second.

Observing are the Graf, the Midden Marshals, the Knight-Commander and a dozen knights, and a tall, powerfully-built man with a stern face that echoes the Graf's - presumably this is Heinrich Todbringer, returned from his diplomatic mission to Salzenmund.

When everyone is ready, the Graf speaks. "I disapprove of this duel," he says, "especially since it takes place between two of the city's most important symbolic officials. However, Sir Siegfried has the ancient right to seek satisfaction from Sir Julian, and I respect that. Remember, however, that you do not duel as Knight Eternal and Graf's Champion, but simply as knights. Both of you know the rules of conduct. My son will act as referee." He waves a hand at Heinrich Todbringer, and then sits down.

The seconds hand the fighters their swords, then step back. Heinrich Todbringer briefly inspects Julian and Sir Siegfried, then raises his hand. "Begin," he says, lowering it.

[Does Julian have any instructions as to how he intends to fight?]
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7912 on: July 30, 2014, 04:33:24 PM »
Julian shifts in his unfamiliar armour, feeling the weight of the sword in his hand. It feels somewhat clumsy in comparison to Barakul, despite Julian knowing it is forged perfectly adequately. He swipes the air twice before being satisfied with the sword.

At the start of the dual Julian will circle the Knight eternal waiting for any attacks, before retaliating. If the knight does not take the initiative, Julian will dart singular attacks into him, careful not to over extend himself.

Pass the machete.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #7913 on: July 30, 2014, 08:08:43 PM »
Admund stands briefly with Julian before the duel, as Ragni helps him put his coat of mail on.

"Good luck, Master Dwarf." Admund says with a nod. "He'll be uncomfortable without his armor on. I've fought with his type before. Expect his guard to be defensive, his sword held low. Force him to move, and twist. Strike him quick, while he tries to adjust to fighting without his fancy plate armor."

"Just do me a favor and put him in his place quickly. Have this over with and finished." Admund says with ice in his voice. He will join the others in watching quietly, arms folded across his chest.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7914 on: July 30, 2014, 09:56:49 PM »
[Julian and Sir Siegfried both have I 36]

Julian elects to wait for Siegfried to attack. The Knight Eternal obliges, moving swiftly forward and attacking with a fencer's lunge.

[Sir Siegfried: 90, miss]

Not only does he aim too high, so that the sword passes over Julian's shoulder, but he seems to have forgotten that he is using a blunted blade. He should be trying to batter Julian with the edge rather than stabbing with the point.

Julian brings his sword up, taking advantage of the mistake.

[Julian 1: 24, hits left arm. S3+1+d6 roll of 6! (add damage = 07, yes)+1-T4-A2 = 5 wounds. Knight Eternal tries to parry with his shield: 51, yes. Damage reduced by d6 = 1. 4 wounds caused]
[J2: 84, miss]

Julian sweeps his blade towards Siegfried's left arm. The knight tries to take the blow on his shield, but the impact is still bruising - sword and shield collide with a tremendous clang. Siegfried staggers back, calling to his second. Heinrich Todbringer calls out, "Halt!"

"My lord," Sir Siegfried says to Todbringer, "as you see, my shield has been so dented as to render it useless. I ask for leave to replace it."

Heinrich Todbringer shakes his head. "The rules do not provide for replacement shields, unless the damage is catastrophic. That shield is still functional. Fight on."

Sir Siegfried frowns, but resumes his position. He advances on Julian more slowly this time, battered shield raised, sword held low. When he gets close enough, he strikes.

[Sir Siegfried: 60, miss]

Julian steps backward, just enough for the sword to pass in front of him. Then he darts forward.

[Julian 1: 32, hits right arm. S3+1+d6 roll of 5-T4-A2 = 3 wounds. Parry with shield: 22, yes. -D6 wounds: 5, no damage]
[J2: 17, hits body. S3+1+d6 roll of 5-T4-A2 = 3 wounds]

Julian launches an attack at Sir Siegfried's sword arm, but the Knight Eternal twists and deflects the blow with his shield. Julian moves with the deflection, stepping past the knight and striking him hard across his unprotected back. He stumbles under the impact, gasping as the air is driven out of him.

"Solid hit," Todbringer says, "Break!"

Julian withdraws, giving Siegfried time to recover. After a few seconds the knight advances again, his face pale but determined.

[Sir Siegfried: 38, hits right leg. S4+d6 roll of 6! (add damage: 29, yes)+5-T7-A2 = 6 wounds. Dodge blow = 42, failed. Parry with shield (sacrificing attacks):  66, yes. -d6 wounds=4. 2 wounds taken!]

He aims low, trying to scythe Julian's leg out from under him. Julian is too slow to avoid the attack, but deflects much of the force of it with his shield. Even so, he still takes a painful whack to his thigh.

"Good hit," Todbringer says, "Break!"

Sir Siegfried, cheered by his success, raises his sword to the onlookers.

The fight resumes. Sir Siegfried tries the same move again.

[Sir Siegfried: 95, miss]

He misjudges it badly. Julian counters.

[Julian 1: 21, hits head. S3+1+d6 roll of 3-T4-A3 = no wounds]
[J2: 11, hits head. S3+1+d6 roll of 5-T4-A3 = 2 wounds. Parry with shield = 77, failed. 2 wounds taken, reduced to zero]

His blade passes the knight's guard, striking him heavily on the head. He drops his sword and shield, sways for a moment, then collapses into the dust. Todbringer hurries forward and inspects the fallen man. "He can't continue," he says, "attend him." As two Knights Panther come to help Sir Siegfried to a bench on the sidelines, Heinrich Todbringer approaches Julian, takes hold of his right wrist, and raises his arm in the air. "Sir Julian Stonebridge is the winner, and thus the better man! Honour is satisfied."

"Good," the Graf says. "Grungni and Ulric are with you, Sir Julian. Now, let there be no further quarrel between you and Sir Siegfried. If it happens again, I'll just have you both whipped." He rises from his chair and walks off towards the palace, clearly annoyed by the whole incident.

Sir Siegfried is dazed, but not actually unconscious. The medic removes his helmet and mail, and then his undershirt - he's bleeding from a shallow cut on his head, has a deep bruise developing on his left arm, and has a livid welt that runs diagonally across his back from hip to shoulder.

Julian's leg feels a little sore, but he's otherwise uninjured.

"Good one, Boss!" Ragni says, thumping Julian on the shoulder. "You really showed him how to fight!"

"Yes, congratulations Mr Julian, sir," Max says. Then, quietly, he says "Um, though I did feel a bit bad for Sir Siegfried. He's supposed to be the city's symbolic defender, but... well... he's not very good at fighting."

"He didn't have to fight if he didn't want to, Max lad," Ragni says, "it's not the Boss's fault. Grungni's beard, Boss, look at the marks you left on him! Ha ha!"
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #7915 on: July 30, 2014, 10:55:30 PM »
Mortus watches the entire duel with a bemused look on her face.   When it is over she salutes Julian by raising her hip flask just enough for him to notice.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #7916 on: July 31, 2014, 04:03:56 AM »
Admund watches the fight silently. He doesn't cheer. His face cold and his eyes steely, almost studying the way they move and strike.

After the conclusion of the fight, Admund stands watching the empty dueling court for a few moments. He grinds his teeth. With a deep inhale and exhale, he walks over to Julian. "Well fought, Master Dwarf. You fought well." Admund's face doesn't show any joy or bemusement over the victory.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7917 on: July 31, 2014, 10:29:50 AM »
Once he's received medical attention, Sir Siegfried approaches Julian and offers his hand to shake. "You fought well, Sir Julian," he says, his voice carefully unemotional.

He glances at Admund. He frowns slightly, but doesn't say anything to him.
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7918 on: July 31, 2014, 10:53:39 AM »
Julian shakes the knight’s hand, Gripping it hard. “I was disappointed to hear how you treated my friend, and suggest you think about judging people on their actions rather than your pre-conceived notions of virtue. You’ve participated in helping this city from a great threat and I don’t doubt your bravery. But you should act with more consideration to other good citizens”

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #7919 on: July 31, 2014, 11:43:16 AM »
Klaus notices the duel and watches it with serene interest as he sees Siegrid frown when he sees Admund he raises an eyebrow.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7920 on: July 31, 2014, 04:15:22 PM »
Sir Siegfried nods. "Thank you for the advice," he says stiffly. "Now, please excuse me."

Once he's gone, Heinrich Todbringer (who was talking to the marshals until now) approaches the group. "You're a worthy successor to Dieter, Sir Julian," he says, smiling, "though some fights are harder than others, yes? I fancy testing my own skills against you some time, if you'd be amenable."

He looks at the rest of the group. "All of you have done a great service for the city - as you are no doubt tired of hearing by now. But I'd like to offer my personal thanks for saving my father." He furrows his brow. "I've heard what happened with that... thing. The idea that I might have returned to find my father replaced by a monster and not even know... I wish I'd been here. I hurried back as soon as word reached me of the danger to the city-" he glances at Mortus as he says this "-but I arrived too late.

"I regard all of you as good friends to Middenheim. My father isn't the warmest of men, but I know he feels the same way."
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #7921 on: July 31, 2014, 04:38:12 PM »
"Well fought, Sir Siegfried." Admund says plainly, turning his head and watching him leave. His gaze is steely cold.

Admund stands quietly by as Heinrich Todbringer compliments Julian. I wonder how able he is with his sword, or is his build just a nobleman's farce... Admund thinks to himself.

Admund accepts Heinrich Todbringer's thanks respectfully, tilting his head. "M'lord, duty demanded our actions. I fear that had you been here, the creature might have targeted you, and things might not have turned out as well as they have."

"The poisons that creature carried were quite foul. Your father is the only elector I've had the honor of meeting in person, and losing my stomach in front of." Admund says half in jest.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:40:42 PM by Karl Voss of Averland »

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #7922 on: July 31, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Mortus tilts her head slightly when Heinrich Todbringer looks at her.

• Members
« Reply #7923 on: July 31, 2014, 04:51:26 PM »
"Your thanks are very welcome Lord Todbringer....but I fear our business neither here in Middenheim nor elsewhere in the Empire is done yet. I guess you heard your share of rumours on your travels if you care we could dine together and you could hear the story from us first hand. Also I think that the Graf had bad counsel and some positions high in the courts should be replaced...and rather soon, don´t you agree."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7924 on: July 31, 2014, 10:51:38 PM »
"I'd rather the thing had come after me than my father," Todbringer says in response to Admund, "he's more important than I am." He smiles ruefully. "I'm not in line to succeed - my poor brother is the named heir. You won't have met Stefan, but perhaps you've heard he's an invalid. Doktor Pavarotti has worked wonders with him, but I can't imagine he'll ever be fit to rule the city.

"As for losing your lunch in front of an elector - well, worse things happen at the Countess Emmanuelle's parties in Nuln! It's interesting that you speak of meeting an elector as an honour... I spend a lot of time on diplomatic visits, so I've met all of them." He frowns. "I can't say it's always been a pleasure. There are excellent men and women among our noble familes, but there are others who would shame even the corrupt courts of Bretonnia."

He nods when Klaus speaks of further trouble in The Empire. "War is brewing between Ostland and Talabecland, but I think that is only the most obvious sign of a much larger problem. The Emperor's prolonged illness has stirred up the old rivalries. How much of that is the work of these cultists you've been battling, and how much is due to our own foolish grudges?" He sighs. "I would be pleased to dine with you, and hear your story. I agree that some of my father's advisors should be replaced... but it's not for me to decide that. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter though."
If I wanted to.