home

Author Topic: Tactical Exposition Game 2 & 3: Fighting against the Griffon  (Read 25173 times)

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
Re: Tactical Exposition Game 2: Fighting against the Griffon
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »
I'd gladly pilot either the O&G or the WoC list, it makes little difference to me. Looking forward to the game, gentlemen! :::cheers:::

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »
Since I want a mix of Generals to maximize learning and seeing different approaches, I need one of two things to happen:

--Rothgar will take the O&G list for TEG2. if TCWarroom wants to run the WoC list for TEG3,

--If someone wants to step up to the plate to run the O&G, Rothgar can run his WoC list for TEG3.

Regardless, I want the forum to elect several "Lieutenants" for each battle to assist in tactics discussions and decisions.  The General can provide the commander's intent and strategy but the Lts can issue decisions if he is gone.  This will keep things moving (as real life will inevitably get in the way.)

I like the idea of TEG3 being a WoC list, because the new Chaos book has given my army the most trouble off all the books that have come out.  Also, I think there is utility is seeing the exact same Empire list go against two different opponents.

By the time we get to TEG4, I think that powerbuilds will have emerged from the new High Elf book, and we can run an Empire list against a High Elf one.  I think Fandir is a perfect choice to run the HE list, as long as he is available.

I will give the forum one more day to give input.  Lacking any further direction, I will just kick start this thing with O&G/Rothgar.

:::cheers:::
HHG
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline sammay23

• Members
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2013, 07:20:49 PM »
I completely support OnG with Rothgar at the helm. Looking forward to it.

One crazy suggestion.

At some point, it would be very interesting to me to play a game where we used average dice rolls to resolve anything with more than say, 10 dice. So... combats and BS shooting, basically. One of the things that many have noted in games is that dice can be wonky. I think it could be instructional to play a game where major combats occur according to odds. A little crazy, perhaps, but I think it'd be worth it.

Bring out the mop and broom sammay.  I want to see you clean this house.

Offline Voltan Ignatio

• Members
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2013, 07:58:10 PM »
I support HHG's suggestions of what lists to play for TEG2, 3 and 4!
I'd love to help participate in this and get it moving. :)

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2013, 10:53:12 PM »
I like HHGs suggestions. OnG with Rothgar for TEG2, WoC for TEG3, and it would be interesting to see High Elves in the near future too.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2013, 12:38:31 AM »
And after the O&G and WoC whip our butt and the Empire needs a win we can bust out my Wood Elves!   :icon_wink:
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2013, 02:06:35 AM »
I'm all about WoC. It was my first army.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2013, 03:01:02 AM »
OK, I'll bring the O&G out to play. It will be a good test of both lists.

• Members
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2013, 11:34:57 AM »
So-  it is settled.

I will crank up the threads this morning.

Alright-  time to rock and roll.

--Battle Thread created for the posting of all the action.
--Rothgar Wild Boyz Thread created for the forum to discuss strategy/tactics and to make decisions
--Dicelog Thread created to show the full log

Glory to Ulric, Middenheim and the Empire!
HHG
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:19:32 PM by Holy Hand Grenade »
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

• Members
Re: Tactical Exposition Game 2 & 3: Fighting against the Griffon
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2013, 10:20:59 PM »
Tactical Exposition Game 3:  Preparation

Chaos & Empire:  Setting the Teams

Instead of creating a new thread, I decided to turn this thread into prep for both TEG2 and TEG3.

Based off the comments here and at the end of TEG2's battle thread, we are going to run the same Griffon list versus a Chaos list for TEG3.

I still plan on taking a little bit of a break before we start the 1st turn on this one, but in the interim we can start the prep work for TEG3.

I want more forum interaction in TEG3-  so to accomplish it I am going to create 2 threads-  one for Empire and anyone that wants to join my team, and one for Chaos and anyone that wants to join that team.

Right now TCWarroom has first dibs to be the General for the Chaos team since his list had the votes.  If he needs to bow out for whatever reason, I need someone else to step up to the plate.

What I need from you at this point:

Let me know if you want to join one team or the other.  Also, let me know if you are interested in some type of leadership position for the Chaos team.

:::cheers:::
HHG

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2013, 03:02:36 AM »
I can do it. Sounds fun! Warriors were my first army and I have lots of experience with them.

Offline SevenSins

• Members
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2013, 06:20:12 AM »
Sign me up for empire then, lets curbstomp some "chosen"

• Members
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »
I can do it. Sounds fun! Warriors were my first army and I have lots of experience with them.

Awesome. 

I am going to let some time go by for the teams to form up.  While that is happening, I am going to start prepping the terrain on Battle Chronicler, get some of the admin work done, etc.

TCWarroom-  please double check the list for me-  I assume the Warhounds have Vanguard but even when I factor that in I am a few points off your 2499 calculation.

Another thing I need you to clarify-  you have the Dragonbane Gem and Ob Trinket both listed for the DP and they fill up the same slot.  Based on what I have seen for DP tourney builds, I assume the kit is the Gem and OTS....but let me know.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:52:57 PM by Holy Hand Grenade »

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »
I'll help out on the WoC side.  I haven't used them yet in 8th, but I do have the book.

Offline gds1978

• Members
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2013, 12:15:55 PM »
I'd love to be involved, Empire side for me please

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2013, 04:45:31 PM »
no vanguard and it should be OTS.

I used quartermaster, what points are off?

• Members
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »
no vanguard and it should be OTS.

I used quartermaster, what points are off?

DP                       530
BSB                     241
Sorc                    150
Nurgle Warriors  463
Sl Chariot            115
Sl Chariot            115
Warhounds           30
Warhounds           30
Warhounds           30
Warhounds           30
Chimera              230
Hellcannon          210
Nurgle Knights    277

Total:  2451

Looking at it, I think Regen and Flaming Breath on the Chimera is what is missing.

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2013, 10:38:31 PM »
Adepticon was 2400 so I had to adjust 100 points. The regen and breath need to be there. That should add 45 points.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 10:44:43 PM by TCWarroom »

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2013, 03:00:06 AM »
Count me on for Team Empire (the rugged handsomer team.)
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

• Members
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »
While the teams are forming up, I wanted to entice you with the terrain for TEG3. 

Sticking with the snow and winter theme, I kept the road from TEG2 but this time the battle takes place on a mountain top.

Overall, not much terrain to speak off-  a Chaos Idol, a Tower, and two snow drifts (I will explain what they are below)

However, to depict the elevation for the battle I have created these elevation lines in powerpoint and will layer them on to each battle graph I display.  Each elevation line is 2 inches high.

For those of you having a hard time visualizing it with the topographic lines, I made an elevation chart looking at the battlefield from the side.  The Tower is 5 stories high (10 inches) and the Chaos Idol on top of the hill is 6 inches high.

Description of the Terrain:

The Ward Tower is inscribed with magical runes.  All units within 6 inches have MR2 (just like the Magic Circle in BRB).

The Snow Drifts act like the Mist Wreath Swamp in the BRB (with no mist or Fimir!)-  it is Dangerous Terrain except for skirmishers, units failing an I test at the end of every movement phase, lose d6 models in the snow.

Chaos Idol (a modification to the Idol of Gork in the BRB):

At the start of every player #1’s turn:
1:  Blessing of Khorne:  all units within 6 inches have Frenzy.  Cannot be lost while blessing is active.
2:  Blessing of Nurgle:  all units within 6 inches are -1 to hit.
3:  Blessing of Slaanish:  all units within 6 inches are immune to Panic and Terror tests.
4:  Blessing of Tzeentch:  all units within 6 inches gain 6+ Ward.  Stacks with other Ward saves (except Mark of Tzeentch).

Note-  these blessings do not stack with Marks of Chaos.  For instance, Chaos units with the Mark of Nurgle do not get an extra -1 with the Blessing of Nurgle.  However, units with Marks can receive blessings from different chaos gods.

---------------------------------------------------

This should be a fun battlefield to play on!  I already rolled for Scenario and it is a straight-up Pitched Battle.
HHG

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2013, 06:11:33 PM »
What does the elevation mean for the battle? Does it have an effect on movement and the line of sight of War Machines, archers and spells? I think I prefer using a few huge multi-tier hills instead, that would make it easier to visualize, and is more similar to the usual terrain.

Offline Harshey

• Members
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2013, 06:47:33 PM »
Charging from higher ground is a rarely seen +1 to combat res.  Otherwise, it allows for better line of sight.

Cool idea for a board.

• Members
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »
What does the elevation mean for the battle? Does it have an effect on movement and the line of sight of War Machines, archers and spells? I think I prefer using a few huge multi-tier hills instead, that would make it easier to visualize, and is more similar to the usual terrain.

No effect on movement.

More often than not (since the map is one big hill), line of sight will be increased.  The only time it will become restrictive is on the west end of the board when units are on opposite sides of the hill/idol. 

It will make the battle slightly more complex but definitely more interesting. 

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2013, 11:57:03 PM »
King of the hill!

• Members
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2013, 11:56:52 AM »
The teams are forming slowly, but here is what I have so far:

Empire                                   Chaos
General HHG                          General TCWarroom
Sevensins                              Zif
Librisrouge
Gds1978

We need LOTS more for Chaos.  I would like it to be the larger group.

Once we get more in the groups, I will create the threads for the two army sides so we can start picking spells and thinking about deployment options.

Get in on the action!
HHG