home

Author Topic: Oldies, but Goodies ...  (Read 5355 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Oldies, but Goodies ...
« on: September 16, 2019, 10:42:05 AM »
Got a thread going on upcoming and current movies, but after this past weekend's viewing, decided to start this one on Oldies, but Goodies ...

- - -

Saw Rob Roy again this past Saturday night.  Hadn't seen it in years, not since it came out in 1995.  And soon after a second time when they brought it on to the T.V. with in probably a year of it coming out.  I still like it! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

So many well filmed scenes.  The Scottish highlands, the sword fights, the bridge scene is a classic, as is the final sword duel, and the acting is very good in most places.

I picked up some DVDs at a yard sale for $1 each.  Now I own ... first two LotRs films, Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Savinng Private Ryan, Road to Perdition, Open Range, and The New World.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:57:09 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: Oldies, but Goodies ...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 02:31:40 PM »
I caught Castle of Cagliostro today on a local network. Although the film is now quite old, I'd never actually seen it before. I can see how it influenced so many other films.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 03:30:58 PM »
I will keep on recommending Kelly's heroes to each and everyone. One of the best damn movies ever made!

And having the greatest ever american movie hero, Oddball!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 03:34:28 PM »
One of the best fils ever in my book is "The Man Who Would Be Kïng," by John Huston (1975) with Michael Caine, Sean Connery and Christopher Plummer,  based on a story by Rudyard Kipling. The music by Maurice Jarre is riveting too.
Of course, nowadays they would condemn it as imperialist, colonialist, racist, sexist and whatnot...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:36:30 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 04:08:27 PM »
I will keep on recommending Kelly's heroes to each and everyone. One of the best damn movies ever made!

Love this movie. Couldn't be made today either.

I love Death Race 2000. Probably another film that couldn't be made today.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072856/

I like to pretend the Jason Statham remake didn't actually happen.

There were a lot of great movies made in the 70s. Especially the spy thrillers.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 05:57:27 PM »

Love this movie. Couldn't be made today either.

I love Death Race 2000. Probably another film that couldn't be made today.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072856/

I like to pretend the Jason Statham remake didn't actually happen.

There were a lot of great movies made in the 70s. Especially the spy thrillers.

All I remember of DR 2000 is Stallone declaring as he gets in his car and rips out the rear view mirror ‘What’s behind me is of no importance to me!’ Or something like this. Many times driving, I find myself thinking this 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 01:26:50 AM »
Of course, nowadays they would condemn it as imperialist, colonialist, racist, sexist and whatnot...

Different countries, different customs, must not be prejudiced Fidelis.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 07:20:56 AM »
 :smile2:
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 09:25:30 AM »
Me

:engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 11:28:23 AM »
Not sure how many ‘oldies’ I can claim.,.

I am a fan of some good 80’s and 90’s stuff, but I guess so is everyone?

Back to the Future
Rambo 1
Timothy Dalton Bond
Beverley Hills Cop
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 12:22:01 PM »
Last of the Mohicans, one of my all time favorites
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 12:44:08 PM »

Eastwood, Sutherland, Savalas, and it even had Don Rickles and Carrol O'Conner.  What's not to like.

"Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves" ... last scene of this list of beauties ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncbEucjsNFU

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 12:49:33 PM »
One of the best fils ever in my book is "The Man Who Would Be Kïng," by John Huston (1975) with Michael Caine, Sean Connery and Christopher Plummer,  based on a story by Rudyard Kipling. The music by Maurice Jarre is riveting too.
Some would, some wouldn't ... folks need to understand the culture of the times, and then get over it.  I'd like to see this movie someday.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 12:52:24 PM »
Not sure how many ‘oldies’ I can claim.,.

I am a fan of some good 80’s and 90’s stuff, but I guess so is everyone?

Back to the Future
Rambo 1
Timothy Dalton Bond
Beverley Hills Cop
Would watch the Dalton Bond movies and Beverly Hills Cop again.  Back to the Future and Rambo, if I hadn't seen them already.  All enjoyable.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 01:18:22 PM »
I think Licence to kill is my favourite Bond movie

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2019, 01:59:28 PM »

Great movie.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 02:00:29 PM »
I love Bladerunner. Its one of my all-time favorite movies. Also loved the sequel.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 02:14:06 PM »
Great movie.
Yes, have it on DVD, it is awesome! :::cheers:::

The acting is spectacular, the music is top notch, and cinematography outstanding.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 02:16:36 PM »
I love Bladerunner. Its one of my all-time favorite movies. Also loved the sequel.
Yes, need to watch both of these again at some point. :icon_cool:

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2019, 08:12:55 PM »
Read the book ‘Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep’. Bladerunner was based on it. It was hard for me to get into at first, so I put it down for awhile, then gave it another go, and I was hooked. The book has more characters and it’s far deeper than Bladerunner and I love it. I probably prefer Bladerunner, but the ideas both provide in the over all mix are pretty cool. I am fascinated with the idea of AI becoming self-aware and what becomes of that.

And Deckard is a human!!!! That’s how I feel. I hate that Scott keeps playing around with making him an Android. That’s why the sequel doesn’t confirm or deny it. There are some fans and Harrison who prefer he be human, while others that think it’s cool he is a Replicant. I hate the Replicant idea, just doesn’t make sense, but also it’s also more meaningful that as a human he threw it all away for an Android. Love it. But Scott pulled the idea of it out of the book because in it it’s something that the lead wrestles with at one point; not knowing.

It’s pretty crazy how sci-fi writers of the 60s and 70s nailed many of the things that we just aren’t dealing with today, but were aware of the things we’d have to deal with on the horizon, all the while banging it out on a type-writer (while I am using an iPhone now). They were just brilliant. God just read 1984 and look at what China is doing today.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 08:14:56 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2019, 03:30:42 PM »
I've discovered a soft spot for the 1968 release of Charge of the Light brigade. I really like the animated sequences; they really set the period of time. Nothing says 'Victorian England' like children working in mines and sweat shops. Or a gigantic boat that was doomed from day one.

I also managed to find a copy of an old childhood favourite; Short Circuit 2. However, its region locked which means the $118.00 I spent on the bluray player was money down the drain :eusa_wall:
Yes; I know the Short Circuit films have aged terribly but I still appreciate the effort that went into bringing Johnny 5 to life. 

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »

Love that movie as well, though you're right in basically saying it would never be made these days.

Just the scene with the watermelon eating Indian guy on the train would be enough to see it axed nowadays but me and my brothers found it hilarious. We still reference it every now and again with a "Thank you, Sahiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiib!" (usually in mock thankfulness for some odious task or something similar)
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2019, 08:26:28 PM »
Well, we can't talk about oldies without bringing up The Terminator. Prob one of the greatest movies of all time. When I think of Arnold Schwarzenegger I think of Terminator and Conan. I am so glad I got to watch him in his prime.

What bothers me though, is how overused Arnold is with Terminator, and how they feel he has to appear in every film. Even the original goes to show there was more than one type of Terminator, and you have to assume Skynet would pump out various ones to keep the same old one being spotted a mile away. A lot of people don't realize that in one of the flashback scenes, the Terminator that raids the resistance bunker was another bodybuilder named Franco Columbu. 

Columbu was actually a pretty short guy so they had to shoot him from angles that make him appear bigger. But if you could imagine different body builder Terminators throughout the series I think it would have made it even better. Instead they keep recycling Arnold and its ridiculous.

I think the first film is a masterpiece, a near flawless concept and story, but every film after has let me down. The Bale one could have been better, but it deviated too far on little things and I just found some of it silly. I was like, did the director even watch the first movie? But I did like many of the skynet robots.

I am not going to even bother watching the latest. Its so cliche in the trailers that I can't even imagine I would get through the first 10 min.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2019, 08:33:44 PM »
Speaking of masterpieces: Alien!

Alien is from a time when sci-fi films could be slow paced. Now everything has to move at a certain pace so morons don't fall asleep. Before pace could be an art form all its self, but now its like a formula and every film seems to follow it. The acting, design, concept, story, characters, actors, I just don't think this film can be improved on. Even the fact that none of the characters are over the top either. And Ripley might be the greatest female hero of all time, because she isn't over the top like modern females throwing guys over their shoulders and so on. Everything she does, how she reacts, her motivations, etc, are all believable. Great character and great actress. At least for the first 2 films.

And as much as I love the EXTENDED version of Aliens, I do think Alien is superior, and that Aliens makes an amazing sequel. Its a shame they did what they did with Alien 3, and don't get me started on the others. And def don't bring up Alien vs Predator. Garbage.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:35:56 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2019, 09:15:42 PM »

heck yes
Yes I'm dyslexic so what