home

Author Topic: A Couple of Battle Reports  (Read 2545 times)

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
A Couple of Battle Reports
« on: May 18, 2004, 08:47:42 AM »
Grutch asked for it, so here they are :D

"Battle at Strangler's Pass" followed by "Battle at Bad Turnpike". Watch Baron Maximillian von Mauritz' Altdorf XIX struggle against a brutal Orc incursion into the Averland.
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 08:48:33 AM »
The Beast Comes: Battle at Strangler's Pass

My greenskin nemesis and I took some pics of our battle last weekend and, for a change, some of them came out pretty well. The battle was good fun up to turn three or so. We used the scenario generator from WD 292 (UK), which really has the potential to add a lot of spice. In our case, we ended up with an Assault VS Defend, with the Greenskins defending (!). The objective for both armies was "avance", meaning VP's for every unit you have in the enemy's Deployment Zone by the end of the battle. The map roll gave me the option to put my vanguard in a flanking role, which I promptly did, and I won the toss for terrain, which left us with a fairly symmetrical set-up (a hill and a wood in each of the deployment zones).

So I was set up in a strong tactical position - my light vanguard (Pistoliers, Light Cav and a Pegasus Captain) threatening the Greenskin flank, a good fire position for my cannon, and an open field for my battle line to manoeuvre in.

How did I lose? Got massacred no less? Suffice to say I'm looking into purchasing some new dice :evil:

But hell, it was a fun battle, the scenario generator made it a change from the run-of-the-mill 2000pts slugging match, and we had beer and munchies a-plenty. So, without further ado, the pics:

The Axe Men

First Company of the Knights of the Axe. These have been converted with axes from the old plastic Black Orc models, obtained in exchange for a handful of cavalry hammers and some scrambled eggs. Notice the Iron Cross battalion advancing on the Knights' right flank, accompanied by their Free Company fighting detachment and a missile screen of Archers.

The Infantry Advance

On the other side of the copse, the main infantry line advances. To the fore is The Baron's Own Rgt., accompanied by its detachments. This battle was the unit's first battlefield appearance and, in fact, they turned out to be the only unit to perform as might be expected - routing a unit of four Trolls (!) and a regiment of 30 Night Goblins. To their right march the Gold Lion Battalion, who would continue to get massacred by a unit of Big 'Unz with extra hand weapons and the Banner of Butchery - three WS4 S4 attacks each :shock:

Notice also the artillery position on the rear hill, which would prove nearly worthless - one cannon blew itself up on the first shot, the other managed nothing more than one wound on a Troll and one hit on a unit of Night Goblins, that is, an amazing two succesful shots out of six fired.

Barely visible are the *AS YET UNNAMED*, cocky students from the University of Altdorf with an unhealthy bravado and fascination for pistols, fencing swords, and brandy - and the eye patches to match.

Charge of the Reds-And-Blues

A full overview of the Imperial advance. Notice the Trolls across the road from the students, who would give Baron von Mauritz something of a headache before realizing they were so far beyond the influence of their leader, the creatures did little more than stumble around, confused by all the loud noises and dandily dressed lads around them. The Baron and his personal regiment would dispatch the Trolls a short time later. Notice also Strangler's Pass marking the eastern edge of the battlefield, and the mysterious Huge Garage Door visible across the Gap Beyond the Table's Edge. For detail, notice the small shrine at the crossroads for pious travellers to beg their patrons for protection in these wild lands.

Trolls on the Road

The aforementioned Trolls square off against the students, who have had their number culled considerably by one of the Goblin witches. The Baron's Own are better visible in this picture, though poorly illuminated, masking the full splendour of their banner. In the background, the only remaining cannon can be seen turned away from the field as the crew struggle to pry out a cannonball stuck halfway in the barrel. The XIX's Order of Battle is placed to the top-right of the picture, held firmly in place by Baron von Mauritz' Mighty Ruler of Ranges.

Charge of the Light Brigade

The battle unfolds according to plan, with the light Vanguard forces charging the Black Orcs on the Greenskin's extreme right flank in force - from behind and to the flank, no less! How do you lose when conducting a charge like this? Easy - roll 11 dice for your Pistolier attacks, get five ones and five twos. The brave young nobles managed to blow down a whopping one Black Orc. The Light Cavalry faired little better. The fiendish creatures still lost by 3 CR points, but easily passed their breaktest on a 5...

Charge of the Heavy Brigade

So, figuring the nincompoops sent around the flank are about to get themselves very badly killed, Von Mauritz commits the heavy cavalry in a frontal charge. I ask again - how do you lose a combat like this? But then, you already know... Suffice to say the Night Goblins charged the Pistoliers after this, and things went downhill fast from then on.

With my flank collapsed and my cavalry cut to pieces, the Black Orcs went on to beat the bejeezus out of my Swordsmen battalion seen in the first picture, even though they had set themselves up for a perfectly coordinated charge with their Detachment. As said earlier, the Spearmen got their teeth kicked in by the Big 'Unz, and the Halberdiers steamrollered into the belly of the greenskin army, denying the Baron's leadership to his infantry battalions, which promptly failed to rally (rolling 11 and 12 for the Rally tests) and made their way home at high speed (more dice rolls in the 10's).

Well, that was my weekend ruined :D We'll be fighting each other again this friday and I am determined to make a better show of myself there.

Next time, Dennis...

Next tiiiiiiiime!

--GH

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 08:49:08 AM »
Maximillian Strikes Back; Battle at Bad Turnpike

Following the disastrous Battle at Strangler's Pass, the Altdorf XIX retreats before the Greenskins tide to the crossroads at Bad Turnpike. Knowing that the Orcs will need to take these crossroads to continue their push into the Stram Valley area, Baron Maximillian von Mauritz allows his army to rest and regroup nearby for a few days while reinforcements are being mustered. Just as the XIX is considered to have regained enough strength and marches to fortify the crossroads, the Greenskin drums are heard across the field like approaching thunder. There will be no prepared defences - each army rushes to deploy from its marching column to slug it out.

We used the awesome scenario generator from White Dwarf to cook up a new challenge and got an interesting one - a head-on Meeting Engagement, where we both had to take and hold an objective at the centre of the table. As built-up objectives usually give headaches in WFB because you'll be wanting to move a big regiment right on top of it (tricky to do if the objective is a building), we decided to make the objective a crossroads. It was flanked on both sides by a house, meaning the battlefield was effectively divided into a narrow centre with the objective in it, and two flanks which would have a hard time supporting the centre, but which would be an excellent playground for fast units.

The Greenskin Horde

Dordak da Pulpa's "Fun Lovin' Greenskins" make a mad dash towards the Bad Turnpike crossroads. Still foaming at the mouth over their earlier victory, their overconfidence would soon be the death of them

The Baron's Own

The Baron's Own halberdiers regiment, undisputed solitary heroes of the previous battle at Strangler's Pass, once again musters at the centre of the battle line. In this picture, their banner is much better lit than before. Unfortunately, we used indirect sunlight in this battle's pics (ie. open garage door) which came out looking rather dull. C'est la guerre.

Dennis had chosen not to take a Vanguard so I had a ball moving my Hussars (DoW Light Cav), Pistoliers, and Pegasus Captain to make a swift move around the right flank.

The main forces marched onto the table and I just barely managed to get all my battalions lined up properly - good! The Knights went to threaten the left flank backed up by the battalion of Spears, while the Swordsmen and Halberdiers marched resolutely towards the crossroads. My artillery had an excellent position on a hill looking straight down the road the Greenskins were taking to the crossroads, but, of course, some Misfires soon came my way and my battery on the whole was a bit of a disappointment again.

The Altdorf XIX Light

The Altdorf XIX's Light Brigade rushes around the right flank. In the foreground are the Pistoliers - further ahead of them are the Hussars. If one looks closely, a unit of Wolf Riders is visible just left of the rock formations across the river which marked the right edge of the battlefield. For kicks, notice the bridge which was built in under half an hour during a months-long scenery building frenzy last year (We have a river, we have roads, uhm, do we have a br... D'OH!). A further scenery highlight might be the individually based trees - they were purchased on Tenerife, glued to the round plastic gizmos that used to come with a bag of chips, flocked, varnished, presto. None of those silly "clumps" that GW suggests. With a removable centre section, sheesh...

Light Brigade Operations

Here, brave young Wilhelm von Mauritz Esq. places himself before a large mob of Orc warriors sent to thwart the Light Brigade's operations. Even the mere diversion of a heavy unit may be counted as a success for the Light Brigade - the Orcs would not take the bait of this overly transparent trap though, although Wilhelm was forced to flee a charge and ended up fleeing off the board, failing to rally for three consecutive turns :P

Rolling Thunder

In the centre of the table, the Baron's Own accept the advance charge of a large mob of Greenskin cavalry, and get flank support from the Spearmen battallion. Naturally, due to 'orrid dice rolls, this battle was lost, the Spearmen ran and lost their banner, but the Baron's Own stood firm and butchered the Boar Boyz in the next round, reclaiming the banner of the Spearmen. Oh well. In the back one can see Dennis' better half engaged in conversation with a little girl from around the neighbourhood. The silly lady thought Warhammer was something "impulsive" that we'd outgrow soon enough - until she learned we've already been playing for nearly seven years. She went strangely quiet after that :D

Further to the rear, the sadly familiar sight of cannon crew trying to get their gun to work.

The Centre

With the Orc Boarboys routed, Baron von Mauriz has some time to regroup his battalions for the final push towards the crossroads, currently occupied by several large mobs of Orcs, Black Orcs, and Big 'Unz. A lot of bloodshed still lay ahead. At the extreme left of the field, meanwhile, the Knights were doing a good job gradually chopping their way through a fully ranked up regiment of Orc warriors (from the front, no less), while the Light Brigade continued to play chicken with the Orcs to the right.

One might considef the scratchbuilt house another scenery highlight - we built some four houses and a farmhouse so big it is hardly practical in battle :P

Payback Time

As the forces meet on the Crossroads, the Empire has its first major success - the Swordsmen manage to hold against the onslaught of the Big 'Unz, and a rear charge by the Pistoliers sees them turning tail! To the far rear one can see the very happy (not to mention dashingly handsome) features of the General commanding. Revenge indeed!

The Final Hunt

As his army collapses around him, the Orc warlord rushes to aid his faltering boyz on the left flank - only to arrive too late! The Orc Boyz break and are run down by the Knights, and the Orc Warlord suddenly finds himself very much alone, facing the fury of Huntsmen, drunken students (Duellists), and a very angry Fire Wizard who now casts practically unopposed as both of the Goblin witches have been rendered inoperable.

Bleeding profusely from previous wounds, only one more was needed to finally put this beast out of the Empire's misery. To Dennis' credit, he had his little noise familiar from a previous picture make the Ward Saves, and she rolled an amazing string of 6's which saved the Warlord to fight another day. Fine with me - the rest of the army lay in tatters, the Black Orcs were routed (a first!), and the crossroads were firmly mine.

And so the battle ended. The XIX had fought hard to regain its honour and had prevailed. The Orcs ran back to the pits they came from as fast as their smelly feet could carry them. The Warlord escaped, battered but alive, and would no doubt be back sometime later, with a new horde to try and pillage and burn his way across the Empire. Baron von Mauritz oversaw the consolidation of the battlefield with a firm glass of brandy in hand and wondered what drove those green monsters here every week.

They probably didn't know what else to do, he concluded, drank his brandy in one gulp, and retired to his pavillion tent.

--GH

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 08:52:21 AM »
Hmm, I can't seem to edit posts in this forum? The button is missing.

Anyhoot, Grutch if you wish to preserve these somewhere I'll have to ask you to host the pics for me, I don't know how long my MSN Group account will be able to support a steadily growing number of pictures (should still be a few months, though), and I'm not about to start stuffing mr. Gates' pockets just so I can host a couple more :D

Cheers,

--GH

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 11:38:56 AM »
Do you want this article in the library?  I don't frequent this forum too much.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 07:10:24 PM »
Do you want this article in the library? I don't frequent this forum too much.

Me neither, to be honest :D It'd be nice to have them in the library, but like I said, I'll need you guys to host the pics or there will be two battle reports with plenty of red x's in a few weeks :D