home

Author Topic: What Empire armies have you built?  (Read 6354 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
What Empire armies have you built?
« on: February 13, 2020, 06:33:21 PM »
Right now, list them. I want to know what province your Empire army(ies) are from.

Pics if you got them.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: What Empire armies have you built?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:48:30 PM »
Main armies are from Averland,  and a Tilean Mercenary Army from Tobaro.

Units for Stirland, Wissenland, and Matorea in the Border Princes and sometimes cross purpose a few of these for Marienburg.

Also, a single unit for the Tilean City States of Castanzio and Bracciano

And some figures for the Town of Tussenhof in Hochland.

Plans to expand all of these, and perhaps have a few more not started yet.

Oh, and there are Halflings too.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 01:01:31 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 09:45:21 PM »
Wow you are brave to be working with yellow. I have so many problems painting with that color.

Also, what were some of the more common empire armies back in the day? Where there equivalents to the Ultramarines, Space Wolves, and so on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 10:37:37 PM »
I mostly work off white spray coat, and that seems to make yellow easier.

As to your next question ... there was once a thread here on who had what armies, and I vaguely recall a good number from Averland with various reasons like the fluff of Black Fire Pass, Marius Leitdorf as Elector, and the black and yellow scheme being popular.  And back in the days before WFB was eliminated for W:AoS, I saw the red and white scheme of Talabecland in hobby stores quite a bit, which is the color scheme shown on the packaging of the figures.  But that isn't very scientific. ... lol.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 10:45:45 PM »
1 lone Captasus and one Champion are all that remain of my once large Stir River Patrol (about 4,500 pts including my DoW mercenaries).  The bright green and white quarters really popped on the battlefield.  Gave a nice clean and cohesive look to the army.

I sold or gave the rest to steveb a few years ago

Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 03:23:04 AM »
Originally my armies hailed from Hochland and Middenheim, but that was decades ago and I generally make my own areas rather then follow the provinces. Even when it was more of a traditional army it generally featured units or characters from across the Empire. All mustered together to throw back the forces of evil.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 08:53:53 AM »

As to your next question ... there was once a thread here on who had what armies, and I vaguely recall a good number from Averland with various reasons like the fluff of Black Fire Pass, Marius Leitdorf as Elector, and the black and yellow scheme being popular.  And back in the days before WFB was eliminated for W:AoS, I saw the red and white scheme of Talabecland in hobby stores quite a bit, which is the color scheme shown on the packaging of the figures.  But that isn't very scientific. ... lol.

here: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=53476.0

and here: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=32944.0
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 01:04:33 PM »
Ah, forgot about that one.  And added my units for my two Tilean City States, and my few figures for Tussenhof Hochland to my  post above.

This was the one I was referring to in my post.

Thanks! :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

Offline errantgamer

• Members
  • The Old World rides again!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 02:26:45 PM »
I remember going through Steg's compendium of armies when I first joined this forum... it's a cornucopia of excellence going back through some of those.

If only photobucket didn't ruin a good number of the old plogs... :(

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 02:42:30 PM »

Ah excellent thanks will take a look.

As for pics yeah that has been a problem with me going through other old threads that looked interesting, only to find none of the pics showing up. :(

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 03:38:49 PM »
Dammit! I am so angry about the pics!

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 05:40:15 PM »
what I do when looking for inspiration is go through old and even older threads in the painting section here, specifically the ones with many pages as that tends to be years of quality work focused on a coherent army.

you can do the same in other places with a long history, for example on warseer, just put 'Empire' as a search term in their hobby section.

but yeah, photobucket really made a mess of things!

This might also be a good starting point to find eye candy:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=40574.0

(p.s. mostly Altdorf, Nordland and Ostland for me)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:44:41 PM by Naitsabes »
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 06:44:05 PM »
Oh man that thread is awesome but as usual many of the pics aren't working. Dammit. Man, I always felt like I missed the boat but now I feel LIKE I REALLY MISSED THE BOAT. What I wouldn't give to go back and be doing this when it was in its prime.

I imagine you guys did a lot of inspiring for each other.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 07:58:41 PM »
It's a bit like an Asimov novel, isn't it? Reminiscing about the Golden Age while that knowledge slowly fades away.  :icon_confused:
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 03:58:36 AM »
Well, it's photobucket's fault, entirely! We need a sticky or something waving people away from that place! And to update the old plogs :)

Maybe it might work...  :icon_lol:

I habitually use Imgur. Recommend it!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 05:43:08 PM »
It's a real shame there's no way to archive old threads like that in a way that preserves the pictures. The fickleness of the internet I guess. Things are preserved forever, and yet also swept away into the void at the smallest change.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 07:12:02 PM »
There was a way to preserve the pictures in old threads - the Oldhammer Forum did it using a method several other forums recommended. My entire campaign thread, and stuff going way back, has been preserved wholly intact there, and all the newer stories and posts have IMGUR photos.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2020, 11:14:32 AM »
I had the same problems with my Facebook linked pictures... they kept moving hem around on their servers, adjusting the actual link time and time again.. still need to relocate a few pictures to my blog where they have a fixed url
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2020, 04:15:51 AM »
Aha --

Regarding blurry Photobucket images obscured by their obnoxious watermark: If you right click the image and select "open in new tab" it usually loads, more visible, no watermark. Doesn't work if the pic is snipped away into the white void of [image missing] though.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 04:54:04 AM »
Photobucket got greedy. They didn't preserve the quality of the pictures in three first place,  then pulled their bs $400 a year to share pics thing,  i was glad i moved to Flickr mainly

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 05:43:08 AM »
My comment from the more recent link shared by SKS still holds true...

In my mind, since the "official" version of the setting has been killed off, I've branched off with my own alternate setting. In this "Althammer" (as I'm referring to it) I've got several tiers (size & importance) of armies, and a couple of them fit the "Empire" theme, I think.

One being Marienburg, which I played in WFB 6th - 8th editions, and continue to expand upon in a "rules-neutral" sense. (I've used them in KoW and WFB3 since the "official" death of the Old World.)

The other is my own concept, the Jackrabbit Trading Company, a merchant company from Marienburg's hinterland (the Wasteland -- specifically the Little Country) that has a significant armed presence and becomes involved in regional politics/uprisings as well as following the original mission of guarding the overland trade caravans.

I'm currently prepping minis for a small force of "hill folk" -- rural rebels, bandits, etc. from the hill country on the Wasteland side of the Grey Mountains/Pale Sisters. Imperial hillbillies?  :wink:

I'm increasingly fond of the idea of "regiments of renown" and have been thinking about painting up some other Empire/Old World regiments... a former Nordland regiment that's turned mercenary, official DoW  (I still have unpainted Pirazzo's Lost Legion & the Birdmen of Catrazza figures), maybe some more homegrown regiments.

I've since picked up some of the Oathmark humans to use as a core for the hill folk, but haven't gotten past the assembly stage. Unfortunately, most of the above have been taking a back seat to some of the other factions for my Marienburg/Wasteland regional setting. I did paint a small witch-hunter band towards the end of last year.

I still have plans for more landsknecht styel mercenaries, JTC humans & hobbits and the rural Wastelanders & hill folk mentioned above. I'm increasingly liking the idea of a small Nordland incursion force.

As far as photos, I just link from my blog anymore...

https://www.zerotwentythree.com/search/label/Marienburg (tagged posts)
https://www.zerotwentythree.com/p/army-of-marienburg.html (started to photograph the army, but didn't get far...)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 01:14:44 PM »
My army is from Middenheim, specifically shortly after the Storm of Chaos. It's a "New Model" army, I literally disposed of all the units from the Storm of Chaos army book and expanded the army to fit the newer books. Some of my units are "fluffed" as veterans of the siege. I'll have a dig and see if I can find the original thread, but the pictures may be lost in tinypic somewhere...

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2020, 10:03:12 PM »
I have:

Hochland army - almost fully painted.
30 x swordsmen, spearmen, greatswords, free company
40 x halberds
20 flagellants
10 handgunners
20 archers
18 knights
8 knights with great weapons
3 demi-gryph knights
11 pistoliers
8 outriders
2 cannons
2 mortars
1 helblaster
1 rocket
1 steam tank
1 galloper gun
1 war altar
1 wizard wagon
2 griffons (1 needs painting)
2 pegasi captains (1interchangeable for wizard)
Various captains, engineers, warrior priests, wizards, etc.
6 demi-lancers (light cav with lances and pistols)
10 dwarf swordsmen
3 ironguts
2 leadbelchers
A number of more woodsy / wildmen that I still need to paint up.
10 crossbows that still need painting

I have a thread in the Brush and Palette that has these pics.

I also have a Stirland / Dogs of War Army, a Middenhiem / Ulric / Kislev army, a Riekland / Altdorf / Nuln army, a Sigmarite army, and an Araby army with elephants. I used to have a Marienburg army, but I gave it to a friend. He may give it back one of these days.

I also have some human sylvanian troops with my vampires, and a 5th ed ‘show’ army painted based on a lot of the old 5th ed GW pictures.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2020, 11:14:55 PM »
Middenhiem, Talabhiem, Dwarf, small halfling addition
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2020, 11:15:59 PM »
now if you want to see what Steveb did here is his collection ( I don't take any credit for these lol)

https://www.facebook.com/worldofsteveb/?modal=admin_todo_tour
Yes I'm dyslexic so what