home

Author Topic: What Empire armies have you built?  (Read 6445 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Re: What Empire armies have you built?
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2020, 02:04:52 PM »
I have:

Hochland army - almost fully painted.

I was not familiar with this province so looked it up. I am guessing these are fun guys to paint, but I am amazed you havent gotten bored painting all that you have for the same theme... haven't you ever wanted to try out another province?

What is the biggest game you have played them?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2020, 01:34:39 AM »
Hochland was best land. All hail Ludenhof!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2020, 02:00:47 AM »
In the 5th ed army book it was said that Hochland was wealthy. Their halberdier in the example art had the most armour.
So I took that concept, and made my Hochland army very armoured. My handgunners are basically in plate armour - using briganza’s beseigers models. All my models have enough armour they should rules wise be heavy or plate instead of light.

Regarding getting bored - no. I used to play a lot during 6th and 7th ed. I needed appropriate unit sizes. I also needed enough models to make multiple smaller units (2 units of 15 greatswords were a favourite of mine during 7th and 8th edition). 40 - 50 halberds were a staple of 8th ed Empire armies. I didn’t start with the unit sizes being that though. I started with a workable 2000pt list, then increased as I adjusted the list while playing.

The amount I accumulated just kinda happened. I needed extra knight armoured arms, so bought more knight boxes. I wanted to run an all knight army. I wanted to run a gunline. I then settle on a style I like, and all those extra models form new armies.
Then as those armies form, I need a specific unit or 3 to make then themed or unique. And so on.

I attended 2 tournaments - ranked midrange, but second time I went with no wizards which was a surprise to most opponents as well as my numbers of troops.

Painting is less interesting to me than the modelling / conversions and armybuilding around a theme or background part of the hobby. I am still catching up in painting. Like I said, my Hochland and Marienburg (which I gave away) are my only mostly fully painted armies.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 06:08:03 AM by Warlord »
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2020, 11:36:38 PM »
Good news! I found some pictures...

It's not a work of art but there sure is a lot of it...

I seem to have a valid army list of around 12600 points and 516 models, but I also have a spreadsheet claiming I've painted 620 models for the army. I suspect both are out of date.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2020, 12:53:25 PM »
Holy crap, that is some amazing commitment you have. I think the army looks great. Is that Middenheim? I didn't know the Empire had dragons.

What is the biggest game you've played with them? I am really curious how big the biggest games peeps have played.

You've got that wizard wagon thing don't you? I asked about those a few pages ago. I think the kits look amazing. It doesn't look anywhere near as big as I thought it did next to those other units. I assume its just on a regular chariot base?

What is that thing way in the back in the first pic next to the tower?

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2020, 07:46:08 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2020, 09:16:01 PM »
Empire for the win! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2020, 09:34:18 PM »
Awesome pictures!

I've had plenty of ~10,000 pt battles over the years. I think the largest was 15,000 vs 20,000 we played over a long weekend but each team was made up of a couple of different players with around 5,000 pts. It took forever to play and we were pretty burned out by the end.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2020, 02:47:03 AM »
What armies and who won?

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2020, 01:11:26 PM »
Holy crap, that is some amazing commitment you have. I think the army looks great. Is that Middenheim? I didn't know the Empire had dragons.

What is the biggest game you've played with them? I am really curious how big the biggest games peeps have played.

You've got that wizard wagon thing don't you? I asked about those a few pages ago. I think the kits look amazing. It doesn't look anywhere near as big as I thought it did next to those other units. I assume its just on a regular chariot base?

What is that thing way in the back in the first pic next to the tower?

It took at least 10 years to collect and build the army (along with other things of course), it didn't happen quickly! Yes, it's Middenheimers, almost entirely. The Imperial Dragon is a mount option for Karl Franz in some editions of the army book :)

The wizard wagon is on a chariot base, but it's still quite impressive. I built mine with magnets so I can swap it from type to type. And I built my own War Altar weeks before they released the kit.

I think I played 6000 points once, as part of a battle with 12000 points per size. It takes forever and I'm not sure the rules really work at that scale to be honest.

At the back by the tower there is my supply wagon, and also an old metal giant (which I can't currently find a picture of)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2020, 05:02:14 PM »
(I think I played 6000 points once, as part of a battle with 12000 points per size. It takes forever and I'm not sure the rules really work at that scale to be honest.

Hands down agree. Things get tedious and broken really quickly. The board looks cool, but things get really crowded and there's no real room to maneuver. Everyone just kind of has to slog forward and hope for the best.

What armies and who won?

It was Grand Alliance Vs Forces of Darkness. All the players had mixed armies (it was part of our homebrew factions), so pretty much every race was included. Darkness was very heavily Ogres, Chaos and Undead and led by a Tomb King. Grand Alliance was heavily Dwarfs and Empire, with tons of elves and various other humans.

If I remember correctly Grand Alliance won when the head vampire and Tomb King both got sniped by cannons in the same, final turn. That put us over points to win and we essentially called it at the start of turn 6 because we were pretty burnt out by then.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2020, 03:17:19 AM »
I've been slowly adding to my main Empire army for 20 years now.
I also have a Conquistador themed Empire army
A pirate themed Empire army
AND a Vampire counts zombie Empire army.

I've amassed so many archer arms I've run out of places to put them.

Offline Borderguy190

• Members
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2020, 06:50:31 PM »
Middenheim mainly.  A Nuln contingent of handgunners and a planned great cannon.  A mixed militia unit, and a Stirland Huntsmen detachment, and a unit of Reiksguard knights painted.  I plan on adding a mercenary pike unit, a Reikland unit of spears or swords, and a few others if I can find units. Mostly sticking to a Middenheim/Middenland force.

For now.  :icon_biggrin:

Edit:
I forgot about the Highland models I bought (hand weaps and like, 2 units) and my plans for other hillfolk Empireish soldiers using tge Oathmark models.  And a halfling force once a Kick starter gets here from Westfalia. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 06:56:49 PM by Borderguy190 »

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2020, 10:02:05 PM »
I think I peaked at 5000 pts in the end, but almost all in 6th ed., I barely touched 7th. 

The Stir River stalled out when kids came along, but I did have a plan to add a Reman Legions army.  Kinda sorry I never started on it.  Seems silly to try to start one now as I barely play, have no time, and really don't like the current editions all that much.  Still, occasionally start drafting how i would make it.
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2020, 01:27:26 AM »
Well rumor has it that there's another edition of WFB on the way. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra