home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 667755 times)

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #325 on: August 31, 2010, 05:08:05 AM »
11 days?

That would have given you more time to write more battle reports.

Chop-chop!
My hood is my castle...

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #326 on: August 31, 2010, 11:20:48 AM »
I'd love to, but I have no one to play right now.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #327 on: August 31, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »
Donnachaidh tells me that Gripping Beast - following the release of their Vikings back in April at Salute - have some plastic Saxons due out around November time.

I have hunted their site for evidence of this, without success so far, but the wily Scot is rarely wrong.

This is all damned annoying I can't decide which rules set to think about doing first - Romans/Barbarians, Dark Ages, Medieval or Fantasy.

:engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #328 on: August 31, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »
This is all damned annoying I can't decide which rules set to think about doing first - Romans/Barbarians, Dark Ages, Medieval or Fantasy.

What is this "decide" thing of which you speak?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #329 on: August 31, 2010, 07:01:54 PM »
Did you read exactly what I wrote  :engel:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #330 on: August 31, 2010, 09:48:30 PM »
Does anybody know how the gripping beast cavalry ranks up with GW stuff?  They have some nice early Russian stuff that would look good in a kislev army.
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #331 on: September 01, 2010, 03:28:24 PM »

Huh?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #332 on: September 01, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »

Huh?

There was no plan of action - a mere hint I might think about doing something ...........  :engel:

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #333 on: September 06, 2010, 05:03:43 PM »
Things appear to be on the move at Conquest. Test sprues are back from Renedra and they are 'playing' with them at the moment.
Sounds like they should be on sale later this month.

It also sounds like there will be some special initial deals - the box of 12 mounted knights will likely retail at £18.00 but there is talk of a starter price of £15.00, and 3 boxes for £40.00

:engel:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #334 on: September 06, 2010, 05:39:30 PM »
Any idea what the size of that base is? I'm curious how they scale up. I like the horse, but from what I saw of the 3-ups, the upper torso (shoulder/arm joint, mainly) of the riders looked inhuman. I'd like to see a front & back view to see if the actual figures look any better.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #335 on: September 06, 2010, 05:42:27 PM »
Ah, there it is...

The arm looks stuck onto the side of the chest, rather than coming from a shoulder joint.

Also, WTF is with the name. They had to pick a name almost identical to an existing miniatures company?

http://www.conquestminiatures.com/

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 06:39:01 PM by Midaski »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #336 on: September 07, 2010, 12:21:15 PM »
Does anybody know how the gripping beast cavalry ranks up with GW stuff?  They have some nice early Russian stuff that would look good in a kislev army.

Not all that well really. Here's an example:

Emperor Basil II next to Marius Leitdorf. GW horses are much larger than Gripping Beasts. But I think it would look OK if you avoid mixing both types together in one unit.
If I wanted to.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #337 on: September 07, 2010, 10:15:15 PM »
Thanks for the picture!  The GB horses look like they are at least bigger than the old glory ones.  I have 10 OG polish hussars that probably will never be used for that reason...

The riders don't look that different from GW ones either - could they fit on standard GW horses?
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #338 on: September 07, 2010, 11:35:02 PM »
I think the legs aren't wide enough to fit GW horses.
If I wanted to.

Offline Mecha Coby

• Members
  • Now with added Blog!
« Reply #339 on: September 07, 2010, 11:37:43 PM »
Could always shave the saddle down so they fit or use the smaller horses as Steppes/plains horse were smaller than your average charger.

Still those Norman Knights  :unsure: look cool
Mark
Morality is a crutch for the weak willed.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #340 on: September 08, 2010, 05:12:45 AM »
I think the legs aren't wide enough to fit GW horses.

Prudent bastards!
My hood is my castle...

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #341 on: September 08, 2010, 10:06:51 AM »
The arm looks stuck onto the side of the chest, rather than coming from a shoulder joint.

That's a 3-up isn't it?
Looking at the latest pics on the forum of a made-up unit it would seem that the arms are separate, so that may be an anomaly. There is something odd about it as it looks in that picture though.
Still 12 mounted knights for around £15 will do for me.

Also, WTF is with the name. They had to pick a name almost identical to an existing miniatures company?

Well they are making Normans and "The Norman Conquest" is a very well known phrase in the English Language.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #342 on: September 08, 2010, 01:47:29 PM »
Well they are making Normans and "The Norman Conquest" is a very well known phrase in the English Language.

I get where the name comes from. Great name -- if someone else didn't already use it. It's an exceptionally bad marketing & identity choice given that it's almost identical to another miniatures company (Conquest Miniatures), and apparently a board game company making plastic gaming pieces (Conquest Gaming.)

Watch what happens when I type "conquest games miniatures" into Google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=WUL&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=conquest+games+miniatures&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Conquest Miniatures (different company, already in existence & producing miniatures for years) comes up at the top of the page. Going through the first five pages of results, the Conquest Games site is nowhere to be found.

A query of "conquest games" returns:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=kVL&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=conquest+games&aq=f&aqi=g8g-m2&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Another competitor called Conquest Gaming, who make "plastic miniatures" for board games, etc. And once again, Conquest Games is nowhere to be found in the first few pages of results.

The only way I found their page was to go to Table Top Gaming News & look for an article about them, then follow the link.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #343 on: September 08, 2010, 01:49:02 PM »
Why not just call it "Hastings" and be done with it?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #344 on: September 08, 2010, 02:39:07 PM »
I just did your second link search and they were 4th one down ................ ?

It is quite possible that they haven't thought about 'optimising' their website yet - they haven't finalised it yet, and they don't have any product available.

I take your point, but then you could make a similar observation about words like "Wargames" - coming up with new original names could prove awkward.
I suggested they used Conquest because of their first range being Normans, but the word does not conflict with any other future races or eras.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #345 on: September 08, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »

Might be a regional thing - the 4th link down when I click that is for an online video game.

At least "wargames" is a generic, descriptive term. Like a bakery having the word "bakery" in their title.

But if someone named their new company "Wargaming Foundry" or "Gaming Workshop" on the other hand, it would be just as bad a choice, IMHO. People still get confused between Game Designers Workshop and Games Workshop, for example.

Back to the figures... I tracked down their forum and saw the pics, but they were a bit small and blurry. The arms in the other poses (lifted) looked better. I'm curious to see some of these in the flesh.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #346 on: September 08, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »
Back to the figures... I tracked down their forum and saw the pics, but they were a bit small and blurry. The arms in the other poses (lifted) looked better. I'm curious to see some of these in the flesh.

Yes I have seen them - there is a new close-up of the champion with a sword, and I cannot see a join at the shoulder of any of the models - which makes me wonder whether the mail is all part of the body, and the 'arm' fits where the mail ends just above the elbow.
This is not a good thing - I find that restricts your posability.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #347 on: September 13, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »
If I wanted to.

Offline Badwolf

• Members
  • 10mm KoW
« Reply #348 on: September 13, 2010, 03:23:45 PM »
 :eusa_clap:.

I've put in my pre-release order for these.... http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/store/mini_angels.jpg

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #349 on: September 13, 2010, 03:28:33 PM »
I need to buy this:

http://thunderboltmountain.com/serendipity/uploads/Squidboy.JPG

I was just looking at those. You really should get that & use it in your army.

Don't know what I will use it for, but I want the Slug Eat Your Face too. The whole range is amazing (well, everything Tom Meier does is amazing!)

Anyone else catch the announcement of this:

http://wargamesfactory.com/announcements/first-orc-render