home

Author Topic: Post Eurobash Review  (Read 10648 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Post Eurobash Review
« on: July 01, 2010, 09:28:38 AM »
I thought it might be a good idea to do a bit of a report on the Eurobash and what happened so that those who thought about coming and didn’t, or those who might consider it next year, can see how it ran and what it cost.

I would hope that the thread is mainly for other attendees to voice their feedback with how they got there and what they spent roughly.
Other members are welcome to ask further questions, but please can we keep it relevant, so it could be useful over the rest of this year for potential visitors next year.

COSTS.

Ok so from a Team UK point of view, we booked with Eurotunnel, using Tesco Clubcard points.
So a £120 return crossing actually cost £40 in Tesco Vouchers. From my place it was around 365 miles for the round trip to St Niklaas.
The Ibis hotel has a deal with the main car park, situated under the Town Square, and I parked my car there Thursday evening after we had unloaded minis at the club, and didn’t move it until we left Monday morning, and that cost a whole 6euros.  :icon_exclaim:
There were 3 of us and we split the overall cost of approx £75 between us.
Of course Finlay had a train trip from Exeter up to Fr1day, and then Fr1day had petrol costs for the 40 odd miles to my place.

Personally I spent 160e on the hotel, which was 2 nights solo [ @50e ] and 2 nights shared [ @30e ] and included breakfast.
Now I made breakfast every morning – unlike some  :icon_wink: – and made sure I wasn’t hungry until the evening.

The rest of my spending was a couple of snack meals, and drinks, which were mainly restricted to the club bar, and all of us bought a few rounds there, yet I reckon I only spent another 90e, so 250e total.

Those of the attendees who visited alternative bars elsewhere in the town centre probably spent a bit more ..............  :engel:

Of course we do owe a big thank you to Soth as he organised three of the main evening meals.
Those of us who arrived Thursday got a visit to the local football club and were treated to burger and chips.
On Friday some vouchers magically appeared to reduce the bill at a very nice restaurant and I think the 14 of us had to chip in 10e each to settle the difference.
Then you all have seen the bowls of Bolognese prepared by his lady, An,  :eusa_clap: and the snacks for the game on Sunday.

GAMING

Due to the aforementioned late night  bar visiting there wasn’t a great rush to start gaming each morning – I think around 10 on Friday, 11 and later on the Saturday, and a bit earlier around 9.- 9.30 on the Sunday as we knew we wanted to watch the football around 3.30pm

Some people had Campaign Merc lists, some had normal armies and not just Empire. Games varied 1000pts to 2500pts.

Personally one of the reasons I enjoyed myself more this year I think was the Campaign lists – as with the Marienburg ones from 2 years ago, rufus again has produced some really great lists and yes I have old obsolete units  :engel: that I could suddenly use again, but a rufus’ lists are very clever in the way it offers so many options.

The Campaign lists and Newsletters will get a new relaunch very soon as the campaign is about to get under way.
If you have the chance make sure you print off the final pdfs of the Mercenary List and the Imperial Factions – then look at each unit listing.
Look at the units you already have – and I am sure you can find the exact build somewhere in the lists.

I had a mere 2 games at 2500pts but they were both crackers.
My Middenland Imperial Faction allied with Mercenaries – probably totally illegally as no-one seemed to have a copy of the first newsletter outlining the ‘allied’ rules.

First up were Fandir’s HE.
I had a GM, a WP, Wizard, and a  BSB Carrochio, and loads of Border Horse Cavalry, Pistoliers, Hounds, & Ogres amongst other units.

We started around 4.30 pm on the Friday and a mammoth battle ended sometime Saturday mid to late afternoon.

There was a golden lesson to be learnt from Fandir’s solid victory – when you read the rules for the Carrochio / War Wagon the “mounted on a Chariot base or larger does not make it a chariot, so do not stop reading when you see “cannot march” and carry on and see the words “or charge”.  :icon_rolleyes:
Not being able to charge when you expected to can be a bit of a bummer to your battle line strategy.
Of course it also doesn’t help when you shoot the handguns on the Carrochio at BS3 for the whole game either.  :icon_redface:
There were a couple of magic moments – the Standard of Dispersal in particular shocked some poncey Swordmasters who died to a man helf to my IC knights, and some Dragon Princes who bounced off my Halberds. 

Soth’s nephew Phillip and his Chaos Warriors provided my second battle, which ran either side of the footie.
I changed my list a bit with some TTG, and Wolfkin instead of some of the Border Horse Light Cavalry
This time the Wagons BS4 accounted for a number of Chaos Knights, and we ended up with a bloody draw.

Interesting final point – the latest White Dwarf, entirely devoted to the new Fantasy rules, turned up last week and I threw it in my bag for the trip as I hadn’t had a chance to read it before we left.
Finlay and Fr1day got a read whilst I was driving, yet I still haven’t.  :icon_rolleyes:
The beauty of the Bash is there is always something going on, be it gaming, drinking, eating, or even Frisbee in the park, or 5-a-side football on Soth’s private pitch lawn in his back garden, and conversation – the latter because you are surrounded by so many different and like-minded people.

Links:
Fandir's album
http://s839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/morpheuskom/Eurobash%202010/?albumview=slideshow

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:52:46 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Post Eurobash Review
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 10:04:05 AM »
I'm going next year even if I have to kill someone for money in order to afford it.

Also, if I go there will be better pictures taken of everything! A lot of Fandir's seem to be people pulling funny faces...
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:05:51 AM »
Great report Midaski.
 :::cheers:::

To add my 2 cents, Money-wise I did spend a bit more now that I recalculated (comes out to something between 270-280 Euros) but! Fandir and me were only sharing the car (and thus the fuel costs) 2 ways, and whoever felt like it went out to have some (okay, lots) nice goodnight beers pretty much every evening. I'd say that 270 ish Euro is very fair for 5 days of good eating, plentyful drinking and fun gaming, while staying in a hotel.

Fandir and me met up in Sinsheim at his place, and then took his car for the journey to St Niklaas. Soth had it all very well organized as Midaski already mentioned, parking, hotel and meals were all taken care of with flawless Belgian efficiency. The gaming was great, Soths gaming club is really something. Plenty of tables and a bar with price tags of 1 Euro per drink made for perfect gaming conditions. The drinking was great, it really is fun to down some beers when you have Dutch, British, Slovak, Belgian and German dudes at the table that you know from the internet. A bit weird at first, but absolutely enjoyable!

I absolutely loved the Bash, and I really, really plan to be back for the next one. Soth is one helll of a host, and everyone who came helped to made this wonderful days what they were.
Cheers to everyone!
 :::cheers:::

@ Midaski: perhaps we ought to put the picture links into your first post or something, at least somewhere prominent. Links just get buried in a 40 page thread. Good Idea - done

@ rufus sparkfire: don't tell me that Finlays warface doesn't make a good pic!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:04:34 AM by Midaski »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 01:55:52 PM »
I'm going next year even if I have to kill someone for money in order to afford it.

Cost is relevant which is why some of us discussed telling others how much we actually spent.

I'll wait for Finlay to confirm, but I get the impression he has a special Eurobash fund he saves in all year round .........  :engel:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 02:51:56 PM »
From my viewpoint :

I had no hotel or transportation costs, so I decided 3 years ago for the first Eurobash, that the money I'm saving there goes into the organisation. This in case you wonder were the vouchers come from...  :icon_wink:

My gaming club was very pleased with our presence, since the volunteer work of the different bartenders makes sure that this is a profitable weekend (through sheer consumption). By my request, proposed price rises have thus been avoided to everyones satisfaction (I strongly believe in the psychological effect of the 1€ a beer formula).

An has, for the third year running, worked her butt off in order to be the perfect hostess she -in my not so humble opinion- was.
She also told me today, for the 7th time or so, that I should thank you all heartily for the present you chipped in for.

I think this years' edition had the Eurobash on the right track again. Last year we tried to organise the gaming a bit more, but that didn't really work, and it led to people waiting to get a game more often than needed. This year it went, "hey you're free, so am I, how many points, what armies ?" again, which I think is the right formula.

Side remarks :

Allthough I enjoyed watching you all watching the football, and the atmosphere it created, I'd like to avoid such weekends in future. It distracts from the gaming aspect more than it should.
Likewise, I'd rather organise the next one on a bank holiday monday/friday weekend, so I can join in for the full 3 gaming days. Me stopping early at work was once again the utopia it's always been...

That said, it was once again the great experience we by now got accustomed to, and I look forward to seeing you all next year.

Or sooner, if any of you (forum members) are in the neighbourhood. My door is always open to you (but only when I'm home, Aldaris, so no stealing my armies, you hear....  :biggriin: :biggriin: :biggriin: )

The_few_pics_I_took
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 02:56:34 PM by warhammerlord_soth »
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 03:07:55 PM »
Photos Password?

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 03:08:13 PM »

Dargaard

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Case Sensitive?

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 03:50:37 PM »
copy + paste worked fine for me. Midaski: you might want to include that link into your post as well.

My door is always open to you (but only when I'm home, Aldaris, so no stealing my armies, you hear....  :biggriin: :biggriin: :biggriin: )
I'll try to restrain myself. If I fail though don't blame me, blame the allure of your collection.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 04:05:21 PM »
While I never complain when people are having a good party, soth maybe it is time to lay off the drugs?

My hood is my castle...

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 04:40:16 PM »

Booze, not dope...

And not that much either. Must be the flash... :engel:

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 10:09:05 PM »
Arrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhh! Why didn't I go! What an idiot!
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 10:44:26 PM »
Likewise, I'd rather organise the next one on a bank holiday monday/friday weekend, so I can join in for the full 3 gaming days. Me stopping early at work was once again the utopia it's always been...
I agree, you being there so rarely was a bit sad. I'd say give us a list of possible dates as soon as you can, because I for my part am already hot for the next Bash. And reading rufus' pained self-castigations I think I am not the only one...
 :engel:

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 10:48:22 PM »
Definitely.

I keep thinking about how I didn't go to this, and it is annoying me. Because I am an idiot.

Set the next one when it's best for you, Soth!
If I wanted to.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 12:02:55 AM »
What the squid said!

I spent 190 euros- but I was there a day shorter than you. I was happy with the gaming (formula) as well- I got 6 or 7 games in (played some small ones, 2 × 1000 and 1 × 1500), I don't really recall now. I thought it was 7 though.

I'd really like to go next year again, but we'll have to wait and see about the dates, which I think should fit soth's plans. Added to that: "Allthough I enjoyed watching you all watching the football, and the atmosphere it created, I'd like to avoid such weekends in future. It distracts from the gaming aspect more than it should." I agree with you there.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 12:22:17 AM »
Provided we can play football!

If I don't get to play football with my shirt off I will be disappointed.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:28:46 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 12:39:08 AM »
I spent 260 euros, plus the £25 for petrol and channel crossing, plus £17 for train fare.

I over estimated how many euros to take, so came back with 140 spare! so I am basically half way saved up for next year already.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 08:36:23 PM »
Wish I was there  :unsure:

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 03:55:49 AM »
Me too.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 08:08:42 AM »
So I wanted to wait and see what the other guys post before I did my experience report.

First of all I want to thank all the Eurobash participants for the great time and Soth and his wife for the organizing and great catering at their home.

For me the overall costs were overall around 280 Euro.  For gas (drive from Germany ~1000 km so about 110/2 = 55 Euros for that, I shared the cost with Aldaris so if there is another German player "I am looking at you Gneisenau" wanting to join next year we could cut down even more), the money for the hotel (I think it was around 130 something euro) and food and drinks (as I lost that strange betting game the english introduced I had to spent round after round  :engel: well actually I lost and we paid the rounds in turns so no harm done here).

I agree that the World Cup didn´t help the gaming but I really enjoyed the football game we played in Soths garden.

I first played against Fridays Mercenaries from the treachery and greed campaign with my high elves, I loaded up on magic but the real fighting was done by my swordmasters and my spears. Overall very challenging but relaxed game. Actually the way I like to play games the very most, feel the pressure but no aggression between the players. After some lucky rolls and Friday forgetting to take his mage out of a unit of crazed marauders that really really really wanted to go toe to toe with Ulthuans best the game went in my favour.

Second game was again with High Elves against Mercs...this time against the venerable Midaski. I had even more magic dominance on the battlefield ...but it didn´t do me much good. I moved my swordmasters in perfect position to receive a charge again and shred some knights (that decided to hide half of the game behind the rest of the army) but disaster struck as the knights had some magic trickery up their sleeve that cancelled the always strike first of the swordmasters. (up to this point I was sure to win the game, and was thinking all the time "what is Midaski doing? Is he already asleep?") So after this disaster my battle line was in disarray the war wagons pumping salvo after salvo of handgunner fire into my units and overall the outlook was not so good. Lucky for me Midaski forgot most of the special rules of the War Wagen and so I could snatch a victory out of the fangs of defeat.

Third game I used Aldaris Skaven against Warriors of Chaos he borrowed. Winners of the game were the 5 gutter runners who kept a unit of 5 Chaos knights and some marauders busy by playing cards inside a building close to his deployment zone. The rest of the army performed bad, the warplightning cannon exploding on the first shot, the doomwheel driving into the back of some slaves (and later on driving out of a combat where it had a flank charge against some chaos knights) the flail dudes fluffed their attacks (well actually Aldaris managed to save all his armour saves on a 4+) but still the army managed a massacre....well I guess Skaven are a very powerful army.

The last game I used a treachery and greed army myself against Finlay. I loaded up on shooting skirmishers and two strong hammer units. I really missed magic this game but was impressed by the dwarven sea ranger (they learned that hiding in buildings is great ....well in an afterthought I think Finlay didn´t realize that his ogres could have charged the building....well I explained him that ogres can enter buildings so I don´t feel any guilt at all). The Salad Wagon had an appearance and performed quite well also the dwarf of ultimate toughness managed to defeat the ogre of awesome killingness in close combat.

So overall loads of great games and lots of fun....

Oh and I brought the Warhammer Roleplay stuff but left it at the hotel the whole time. (Just for you Rufus that you regret not coming even more)

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 09:19:41 AM »
Well, I guess I'll write a wee rapport as well then.

Firstly, I picked up Obi. I was extremely surprised to discover that he's actually a 6 year old and already into cross dressing...
No, not really, but he was extremely young (especially compared to Mideski).
The traffic around Antwerp is horrendous. It's rather obvious that motorway building is Belgium's strongest point. They should stick to forming governments or something.

Anyways, as luck would have it, my first game was against Obi. He was playing some weird sort of Empire army with units that... Well, shove a stick up my arse and call me a kebab... I'd never seen in any Empire book. I won, but the points difference was so small that Obi decided to call it a draw. Obviously back home I tell everyone I massacred the kid.

My second game was against Aldaris and his skaven. Good grief.
Things went all well and balanced until his Lord of pestialent Mussiness wacked my lord with his 24 S10 automatic hit, killing blow, poisonous and no AS's allowed sword of uberism. Then it all fell apart.
How I weeped, how I went outside and tripped up some old people. So, back home, that was obviously another massacre on my side... *ahum*.

The third battle was against Finley. He was so aggressive I let him win. Seriously. He's like a drunk, losing, English football hooligan who's just done a bad trip and has found out you've been disrespectful to his sister.
He was playing with mad hobbits too. And that's just unsportmanly of him. Pfffft...

The fourth battle was Germany vs England and how I weeped with joy at that little gem. There's nothing more satisfying that watching English football supporters cry. Until they charge outside and start ripping faces off innocent Belgian children in a mad, delirious tantrum. That was quite nasty. Didn't take away my joy at them losing though. No sirree.

The fifth battle was against someone playing elves (I've already forgotten his name, but he nearly lost by default for not turning up on time. I presume he wasn't Dutch then). Everyone agreed that I couldn't lose. I mean my deployment was better, my troops were more plentiful, etc. ad infinitum. Naturally I had my arse whooped. By turn two his magic had ripped my army a third arsehole and you can still smell Bretonnian entrails all the way back to Breda. However, the highlight of that horrible match was my unit of archers holding against his chariot and then two turns later running it down. All hail the Bretonnian archers.

My final battle was against Friday. Normally I battle Mondays, but not this time. Friday was playing another of those weirdo Empire contraptions... And this one contained pikes. Piked hobbits on barrels of dead horsemen. I swear it didn't look good.
I would have won that battle. Hell yeah I would have! Seriously. I would have. But for those pikemen. They killed my grail knights. Pathetic grail knights. And my archers sucked the peanuts out of poo through a straw as well. Damned Bretonnian archers. I hates them, I doeseth.

All in all, and in all sincerity, it was great fun.
People who are really, really, really, really obnoxious (not naming you by name though Fandir) online turned out to be absolutely charming in real life.
Soth had everything really well arranged and his wife and himself really pulled out all the stops on treating us as true guests (instead of the sweaty foreigners we really are).
It was good to see that my basic tactics aren't as bad as they could have been. But it was a real eye opener to see that so many people use non-GW models. My new-to-paint maurauder army is going to look a lot different than I originally thought it was going to!

Thank you for the good time.
Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 09:44:25 AM »
Just for you Rufus that you regret not coming even more

The first thing I'm going to do next year is punch you straight in the face.
If I wanted to.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 10:00:51 AM »

Finlay, get off rufus' account!
The traffic around Antwerp is horrendous. It's rather obvious that motorway building is Belgium's strongest point. They should stick to forming governments or something.
:icon_lol:

Anyways, as luck would have it, my first game was against Obi. He was playing some weird sort of Empire army with units that... Well, shove a stick up my arse and call me a kebab... I'd never seen in any Empire book. I won, but the points difference was so small that Obi decided to call it a draw. Obviously back home I tell everyone I massacred the kid.
:icon_lol:
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 10:10:14 AM »

Well in that case I won´t come.

(of course I will come and bring the stuff with me again perhaps even prepare a small adventure if some more people are interested in a couple of hours of pen and paper at the evening after some battles with madness and mayhem).

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 10:54:14 AM »
I don't punch that hard, so you might not even notice.

Quote from: Fandir Nightshade
perhaps even prepare a small adventure if some more people are interested in a couple of hours of pen and paper at the evening after some battles with madness and mayhem

I am interested, provided I can drink at the same time.
If I wanted to.