home

Author Topic: 2250 tourney list, let me know  (Read 1725 times)

Offline loempiaketzer

• Members
  • Ultra six!
2250 tourney list, let me know
« on: February 10, 2015, 06:06:43 PM »
Hi!
Im going to a tourney (YEAH! :mrgreen:)
and i have written a list! (just like a LOT of people :unsure:)
My list will be up for review! (and comments are welcome :happy:)

Idea/fluff:

Its all about the metal wizard.
he is leaving the empire and has bought himself an army with the gold he can conjure from his deadly magic.
also, he was able to 'enslave' some higher nobles with their frenzy for gold!

They are on a trip, a journey, to buy the land that will be named Goldstedt, the city of limitless wealth.

How to play:
How i want this army to play is more or less described as a ryu/mario-army. Known in these forum parts as a well rounded all comers list.
What does this mean in my eyes??
- it has to have everything
- it's not major awesome in any part.
- its strenght is playing into the weakness of its opponent.

Try to see my army as a solid line in a graph,
i try to set me oponents graph over it, trying to minimize his spikes in the area's he does better, and exploiting the mediocre to bad things in his army.

Why do i want to play this?
it makes for fun to see different units do well on the tabletop and it means you have options. I sometimes have tried a deathstar kind of unit. but its 'all about that' and im not into that kind of thing.

So, on to the list!
things to take in mind
- no 50% lord/hero
- no special chars
- anything else goes according to the tourney.

additional rules;
1 round has tablequarters and tableobjcetives capturing.
1 round has additional champion victory points conditions with challenges issued and won
1 round has annihalation and extra victory conditions based on units that survive

these are 50% of the score you can get, as well as getting a massacre, so its quite worthwile going for secundairies.

what do i want to achieve?
place top 25%, no clue how many there are going to be playing this tourney though... so it might be 40 guys, or maybe just 10....

THE LIST!
Lord general - Battle wizard lord
talisman of preservation -  dispel scroll

BSB-2+ save rerollable - sword of might
Captasus - 1+save, lance
Captasus - 1+save, biting blade
Priest - 1+save + great weapon

45 swordsmen + Full command
detachment - 20 halberdiers

10 bowmen + champion and musician
detachment - 2*5 archers

3 demygryphs + champion
5 reiksguard + champion
1 cannon

1 Luminark
1 steam tank

So, what kind of tips do i need?
i dont know really. its just. do you guys im missing something?
I know metal isnt the best, but i want it....

as for set-up.
BSB and priest go in swordsmen
lvl4 in halberds or bowmen

tactic is as said, exploit enemy weakness and try to negate their best points (redirect, chaff up)

so, let me know what you think!
Also a naked engineer does wonders for your artillery.

Offline Dotification

• Members
Re: 2250 tourney list, let me know
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 05:58:18 AM »
Hooray for popping your tournament cherry!

real quick;
Hurricanums > Luminarks

& are you doing 2 10-man halberdier detachments for your swordsmen anvil?  Then they can either try to flank charge to disrupt ranks, or be back up redirectors if your archers detachments are busying screening the wizard bunker.

Also, when is the tournament?  Will 9th Ed. might be out before then??

Offline Ondjage

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 10:42:13 AM »
One major problem you will run into is that your general is LD8. Even with a re-roll this may cause you trouble. Your army is gonna be spread on a large area (your list has a fairly wide footprint), and the 12" LD bubble and 12" BSB bubble is gonna have a hard time covering everything. Even a LD8 panic test with a re-roll is only 92,3% safe. And this is the BEST you are gonna get with this setup (without Hold the Line! that is). Your small detachments are gonna take/cause a lot of panic tests.

I can see that your awesome fluff strongly supports having the wizard as the general, but LD8 is a major setback in an already leadership sensitive army. One way to circumvent this issue is to use the Standard of Discipline. Having this banner in the general's unit means that the bubble increases to LD9.

One option is to put him on a horse, and stick him in the unit of Reiksguard, who will have full command and the Standard of Discipline. In a 3*2 formation he can be placed in the second rank (possibly center to look cool) with the command group filling up the front rank. They will however be incredibly vulnerable to several of the miscast table results.

I also like to put the Gleaming Pennant (Magic standard for 5 points) on Demigryph Knights, so that they can more safely move outside the BSB bubble.
Another subpar post by Ondjage.

Offline loempiaketzer

• Members
  • Ultra six!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 01:03:35 PM »
First off, thanks for the replys!

secondly, i wil have one unit of 20 halberds. not 2 of 10.

as to my ld8 general, i know its a difficult thing for me to handle. But as I try to play it.

peg´s will be all over the place, so no BSB or higher LD for them.
Halberds have a BSB with reroll so i just trust om him to do his job.
archers will probably hold the wizard, the 2*5 bowmen i see as expandable
the reiksguard worry me the most as they will probably be out positioned most of the time as well, again with lower LD.
steam tank is no problem
and the luminark needs carefull positioning but there just a little risk in that.

as to upgrade him to a disciple lvl9 BSB, that will be difficult.
th format is bumped up to 2400 last minute and i need to put this list in within 2 days.... so i can still need your help.

- i can add an additional reiksguard unit and then im up to 2400
- i can bump the reiksguard knights + banner for LD9unit. but that puts me in a dangerous miscast spot.
- i can do a lot of others things but nothing comes to mind at this moment,.....

please let me know!
Also a naked engineer does wonders for your artillery.

Offline CarolineWellwater

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 04:05:42 AM »
(( loempiaketzer,

Just some quick thoughts.  Hopefully I won't echo what others have said.

1) For your BSB, to me, if you're going to get him a magic-weapony-thingy... it should be a magic-weapony-bannery.  His Sword of Might affects his three attacks.  Woot.  But, if you get him a magic banner (such as the Banner of Our Firey Death Attacks), it'll affect his three attacks... the warrior priests attacks... and the attacks of whatever unit he is in.  To me, the meta effect is better.  Overall, though, it's about how much risk you are willing to take with your BSB.

1-A) One of my favorite attacky-banners for the BSB is the Wailing Banner.  Now, you have at least one character, and one unit immune to Terror... Because they cause Terror!

1-B) Though... with your LD hovering  in the 7 - 8 range, you might want to forego the BSBs magical offense, and focus on magical defense, such as giving him a Ward Save.  You can pass a 7 - 8 LD with a re-roll... most of the time.  But, trying to pass a 7 - 8 without the re-roll is considerably more unreliable.

2) For Pegasus Captain 2, I've never really been impressed with "the Biting Blade"... if you have the points for the Blade, just upsize the points to get him the Sword of Might.  Or swap the Biting Blade for a mundane Lance.

2-A) Yes, I know your BSB has it currently, the Sword of Might would work better with your Pegasus Captain.

2-B) For the Pegasus, Iron Hard Hooves is a HUGE, and cheap, upgrade.  It gives you an auto re-roll to wound on your auto hit.  So... pretty much your Pegasus will be inflicting at least 1 additional wound a turn.

2-C) Twin Pegasus... Twin Pegasii... um... does Pegasus even have a plural, as wasn't there just one Pegasus according to myth? 

Um... Anyway, Twin Pegasuses does get a bit expensive.  You might want to consider dropping a Pegasus Captain, in favor of a unit of Pistoliers.  The Pistoliers can still support your other Pegasus Captain, with their Vanguard Movement, as well as their Fast Cav zippyness.

2-D) I'm a big fan of Captain = Pistol.  It's a cheap upgrade, increases your threat range to 12", and gives you a reason to pay for that BS 5.

3) You might be able to save a few points, and drop the Bowman Champion... or downgrade him to just Bowman #11.  It is, overall, better to just get an 11th Bowman, as that'll increase both your average damage output from the Archers, as well as your Maximum Damage Potential.

4) Both the Knights and the Demigryphs need musicians.  The ability to Swift Reform with units meant to charge is freaking huge.

4-A) I'm fond of giving the Demigryphs a banner, as it gives them +1 to Static CR.  You only auto-lose the banner if the unit in melee breaks... so just make sure that the Demigryphs are charging with support, such as a Pegasus Captain.  And the Demigryphs can get a magic banner too... like the War Banner.

5) I really haven't been impressed with either of the magic wagons.  They aren't bad... but... they don't really impress me.  It also doesn't scream "Metal"... my suggestion would be to drop the magic wagon, and get another, small-sized, squad of knights.

Anyway, just some quick thoughts.  ))