home

Author Topic: 2400 5 Round GT -Can't decide on a Lore  (Read 1282 times)

Offline jflesch

• Members
  • http://waaaghcast.blogspot.com/
    • http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/114247558600893/
2400 5 Round GT -Can't decide on a Lore
« on: April 06, 2015, 11:11:54 PM »
Looking to take a fun list to a 2 day, 5 round GT.  End Times armylists are open to use, but the ET special characters are out.  Regular Special Characters are in.

Anyway, I'm not looking to win the thing.  I don't dilude myself believing I possess that skill or ability.  However, I do like to win a majority of my games.  Empire being a toolbox army, I feel like taking something fun that you wouldn't actually expect to see at a tournament.  So here is my list.  Keep in mind I'm not actually looking for list critique so much as assistance on choosing a Lore.

General of the Empire
-General, Full Plate, Lance, Griffon, Charmed Shield, Ironcurse Icon

Battlie Wizard Lord
-Level 4

Captain of the Empire
-BSB, Full Plate, Shield, Lance, Barded Warhorse, Dragonbane Gem

Warrior Priest
-Heavy Armor, GW, Barded Warhorse

Master Engineer

10 Handgunners

25 Halberdiers
-Shields, Standard, Musician

25 Spearmen
-Shields, Standard, Musician

8 Knights
-Inner Circle, Full Command, Steel Standard

18 Flagellants

3 Demigryphon Knights
-Full Command, Gleaming Pendant

Great Cannon

Steam Tank

Hellblaster Volleygun

2,400 Points

I'm sure I could drive this list to victory in at least 2/3 of the 5 games.  The real question that I'm looking for an answer to is what lore of magic to put on the level 4?  Every lore looks great at certain points but I keep talking myself into and out of them each in order.  I've debated quite heavilly on Life, Light or Shadow.  Although I'm equally open to any of them if someone can talk me into one.  So, look at the list.  Think about what you might use and help me decide.

Also I've looked at dropping the two champions from the Knight Units and slapping the Long Rifle onto the tank just for fun.  Again, things you don't see everyday in this list.

Thanks
The Waaagh Cast! - A Warahmmer Fantasy Blog / Podcast

Offline CarolineWellwater

• Members
Re: 2400 5 Round GT -Can't decide on a Lore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:09:38 AM »
(( jflesch,

Some quick thoughts / opinions on Lores.

1) I'm not a big fan of Life at all.  To me, it is more reactive than proactive, and its Lore Attribute you cannot use on your character models.  Compounding this issue is that only a couple of its spells can self-augment... the rest rely upon Throne of Vines.  If your opponent cancels Throne... you're left with a bunch of lack-luster spells.  Even with Throne of Vines, some of the other Lores offer basic spells that are similar too-and better.  So... it doesn't fit my playstyle at all.

2) Shadow, at Level 4, is amazing.  The Miasma is a great, basic spell, and I always cast it a FULL POWA!!!!!! Um... yes.  Me and my dumb sense of humor.  The Withering is also a sweet spell, as it allows even our lowly Spearmen to start wounding on 2s.  Anyway, Shadow's Lore Attribute is a bit tricky to get to use all the time, and with only your Engineer on foot, the only character your wizard could swap with would be him.  Shadow Wizards work well on horseback.

3) Light is a standard for pretty much tournament play.  As such, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has an SOP for "turning off the Lights".  As such, while I understand it's pull, and fully know that Light offers some of the best Cleric-Blessings out there... I am reluctant to suggest it, since it is so common at tournaments.

4) Something to consider might be Heavens.  Heavens offers a quirky mix of abilities, plus if you put your Heavens wizard on a Pegasus, you can Air Slam enemy units together... though this means you'll have to put your Wizard into harms reach.

Anyway, just some quick thoughts. ))

Offline Dotification

• Members
Re: 2400 5 Round GT -Can't decide on a Lore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 06:27:30 AM »
I echo what Caroline said, Shadow is pretty solid toolbox, & the lore attribute can be tricky, but Heavens is fun & quite effective.  Harmonic Convergence, especially if you can bubble it to include knights, handgunners, etc. is great!  Chain Lightning can devastate a MSU list with some luck, Comets can break up castlesd-up Dwarfs/gunlines, the signature is solid for debuffing their shooting/combat, especially if you can then force a panic check (like with the Terror upgrade on the Griffon!), & most other spells have their time/place.

Also, if you don't mind I have some feedback on your list;

-are the handgunners a bunker for your Engineer, who's on cannon & HBVG duty I assume? Keep in mind it's hard to snipe with the Hochland, but more about getting in your opponent's head, depending on if it's 10 or 20 points, point is he shouldn't be shooting, but giving rerolls to the cannon then the HBVG once battlelines close.  Use whatever points to upgrade your General on Griffon, on whom a DragonBane Gem could be handy, then consider a DragonHelm & GW for your mounted BSB to help with grinding damage.

-those are rather small Halberdier & Spearman units for 2400 pt games.  I would advise making the spearmen into a 5 or 10 man chaff/redirect/detachments for a larger Halberd regiment (you can disperse some leftover spearmen into the halberdiers, as long as they are not more than half the unit it will still look/count appropriately.)

GL & HF!  :engel: