home

Author Topic: First Empire List (1k for escalation)  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Exton

• Members
First Empire List (1k for escalation)
« on: April 25, 2015, 02:57:37 AM »
Hey all,

So this will be my proposed list to begin an escalation league at my local store in Calgary.

Now, I'm fairly new to Empire, so I'm definitely looking for some constructive criticism on this, so here goes:

Heroes - 196pts
1 Captain of the Empire
Full Plate, Enchanted Shield

1 Battle Wizard
Level 2, Dispel Scroll
Lore of Heavens (thinking Iceshard would be useful, and hopefully rolling HC for the Demis below)

Core - 390pts
30 Swordsmen - Full Command
20 Halberdiers - Full Command

Special - 294pts
3 Demigryph Knights
1 Great Cannon

Rare - 120 points
1 Helblaster Volley Gun

For models I also have 20 greatswords, 20 flagellants, another wizard, a BSB, 20 more swordsmen and 10 more halberdiers if any of you feel those would slot in better with the list.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Brontes

• Members
Re: First Empire List (1k for escalation)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 05:29:37 PM »
You need a master engineer when you are going to use the Hellblaster. It will blow up easy without it.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:32:01 PM »
Not really, In the current edition, the HBVG can stand on its own, although the synergy with the Master Engineer is well worth the points.

In the current edition, 30 is more or less a minimum for a parental regiment.  You might consider using the Halberdiers as Detachment, increasing the Halberdiers and taking Swordsmen as Detachment(s). That would save you at least 30 points (or the CG) and even more if you decrease the size of the Detachments,  points you could use for a musician for the DGKs, a BSB, or more items for your Captain. 
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Exton

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 04:50:55 PM »
Not really, In the current edition, the HBVG can stand on its own, although the synergy with the Master Engineer is well worth the points.

In the current edition, 30 is more or less a minimum for a parental regiment.  You might consider using the Halberdiers as Detachment, increasing the Halberdiers and taking Swordsmen as Detachment(s). That would save you at least 30 points (or the CG) and even more if you decrease the size of the Detachments,  points you could use for a musician for the DGKs, a BSB, or more items for your Captain.

Thanks for the replies!

The HBVG performed admirably in both games I had (read: lost) yesterday. One minor misfire, halving the shots on turn 2 in game 1, but other than that, pretty good thus far. I would like to include an engineer at a higher point level for the reliability, though.

I'm thinking you may be right on the Halberdiers. My swordsmen were essentially a squishy tarpit in both games. Not overly impressed with them, but using the swordies as a detachment might not be a bad idea for counter-charges and possible rank-denial.

Also, I just picked up 20 Crossbowmen, so they're probably going to find their way into the list.

As for Lores, Heavens was great in game 1, and I used Light in game 2 (against VCs). Turn one, Banished some Hex Wraiths.... from that point on I got a little too... obsessive... about taking out the terrorgeist. 3 Shems, 2 banishments... 2 wounds. My cannon had a "stick in the mud" misfire turn 1 and was dogged on turn 2 (dire wolves). My own damned fault for not paying close enough attention in deployment, otherwise his job would have been the Terrorgeist, and the Light Wiz could have used, what would essentially have been, 12D6 S4 hits on the rest of the army- which, truthfuly, Terrorgeist or not, would have probably won me the game had I not taken a personal, vengeance-based, interest in the damned Screaming Skeleton Bat thing...

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 06:30:27 PM »
In all the previous editions I can remember, Halberdiers were considered to be an inferior choice. The 8th edition AB finally fixed that - by nerfing and/or increasing the cost of all other State Troops.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 07:12:29 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 07:18:40 PM »
I've probably played half of my games with 500 to 1,200 pts lists. Always nice to see one. My improvements would be the same as what Fidelis suggested. Plus if you want go nasty in small games, try a horde with a WP (Hate) or other auto or easy buff. Halberds would be nice. Theoretically 31 attacks at S4 will wreak havoc on smaller units. But 40 Swordsmen will last long in 1,000 pts games.

Also, in smaller games the Witch Hunter with his Killing blows and MR2 weighs more.

In a the previous editions I can remember, Halberdiers were considered to be an inferior choice. The 8th edition AB finally fixed that - by nerfing and/or increasing the cost of all other State Troops.

The Spearmen were not nerfed per se, but lost their specialty with the Supporting attacks, Horde, Step up and HW+Shield Ward save rules: The other state troops just became so much more efficient or durable.

-Z
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 07:27:26 PM by Zygmund »
Live in peace and prosper.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 07:44:22 PM »
The Spearmen were not nerfed per se, but lost their specialty with the Supporting attacks, Horde, Step up and HW+Shield Ward save rules: The other state troops just became so much more efficient or durable.

The first is true, but I beg to differ with the rest. Militia and Swordsmen definitely got worse compared with previous editions.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:13:38 PM »

The first is true, but I beg to differ with the rest. Militia and Swordsmen definitely got worse compared with previous editions.

Haven't really checked the math with the Swordsmen, so I take your word then. Militia are not state troops, but were ofcourse nerfed bad.
 :::cheers:::

-Z

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 10:44:57 PM »
Compared with the last edition, Swordsmen became 1 pt more expensive, losing +1 AS and +1 I, in exchange for...a Parry save. And let us not speak about the point increase of Handgunners and Crossbowmen.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 11:06:40 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 11:56:07 AM »
Compared with the last edition, Swordsmen became 1 pt more expensive, losing +1 AS and +1 I, in exchange for...a Parry save. And let us not speak about the point increase of Handgunners and Crossbowmen.

Gonna soon wield a list with Swordsmen, Militia, plenty of Handgunners and a couple of Mortars. Spearmen centre. Spiced with Greatswords, Flagellants and Pistoliers. Warrior Priests and Captains, no Wizards. Uncomped 8th ed. Just to prove a point, to air some well painted miniatures from older editions, and to look at an army that looks like an army.

Maybe do an Underdog Empire battle report. Once were warriors. :-P

-Z

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 12:01:31 PM »
No maybe about it - you must. Sigmar decries decrees it.