home

Author Topic: 1st try at greenstuff  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Pinback

• Members
1st try at greenstuff
« on: December 13, 2009, 09:36:38 AM »
Ok nobody warns you HOW sticky that stuff is...... you pretty much have to use it under water.

Anyways i thought i would stick up a picture of my very first try at greenstuff on a model (not messed with warhammer since i was a very very small boy and that was painting 3 orcs for a friend). This is my first model in over 15years and the start of a 3k point empire army. This fella will form the lead for my white wolf knights and i really wanted to mess with some customisation. So i started simple with a bit of fur (note i have not linked the medalion to the horses neck yet but will be working that out)

I would love a little feedback, some suggestions and i would also love to see how other people have approached these guys.

so deep breath by me and here is my first (rather boring really) pic for this forum

Offline havre

• Members
Re: 1st try at greenstuff
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 10:06:07 AM »
Some nice looking fur you got there. Looking forward to seeing more as your project evolves. Sorry I can't give any advice, as it looks pritty much like my own attempts.
Give us pictures!

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 10:16:14 AM »
Hi, not  bad, not bad at all.  I dont know what to tell you other than keep working with it and try new things all the time. You dont really need to work with GS under water though. just wet your tool...ok, that sounded bad. But you know what I mean.

Metal tools are difficult. I usually just use a smooth toothpic. Some people use color shapers and stuff like that.

I would suggest reading a lot of other people's blogs on here. People often share advice and techniques.  My blog is a bit long now (18 pages  :unsure:) but there are a lot of WIP pics and discussion about tools I use and what I did to make my conversions.
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=18345.0
 I hope it helps.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:20:38 AM by Otaku »

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 11:19:01 AM »
Stickyness also depends on the mix: more yellow is more sticky, more blue is less sticky.

Looks good.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »
I like it, good way to make the same old horses look different and cool.  8-)
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Etrigan001

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »
Looks like you're off to a great start with that fur! Keep it up!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 04:11:34 PM »

The stickiness does decrease a little as it cures. It usually seems to be a bit more sticky at first.

I used some "Chapstick" plain petroleum jelly lip balm to keep the sculpting tools from sticking. Other people use Vaseline, which is more or less the same stuff. This will also help when you're trying to work with relatively flat surfaces and want to get them as smooth as possible.

What are you using for tools?

The fur looks good -- definitely an excellent start to using greenstuff!

Offline Pinback

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 04:55:20 PM »
Thanks guys for the feedback and tips. It's nice to know I should carry on as I am for now. The feedback from my 2 year old felt a little bias as I do keep him warm and fed.

As for tools I did that with a swan morton scalpul with a 10a blade. I brought some proper tools today to try out.

If I have to be honest some of my reason for the modelling is me delaying on paint colours... so many options....

Offline fp

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 06:08:10 PM »
Good work, keep on sculpting.I think that it will be more realistic if you'll sculpt the fur only on the part of the barding, just imagine you take the real bear's or wolf's or anything else's fur - I don't think it fits the shape of barding that way :)
Pink is like red but not quite.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 07:12:48 PM »

Here's some of my home made and store bought tools.

I just picked up a small set of "color shapers" this weekend, which are sort of like rubber (silicone?) tipped paint brushes in various (mostly wedge) shapes. I will post a pic when I get a chance. I have read about these in various places and wanted to try them out. They're a bit (well, alot actually) more expensive than everything else in the photo above.

Offline Pinback

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 09:36:58 PM »
so i have been getting a little more confident with this stuff and started to experiment...

I am pretty sure i will be going with Averland for my army but i also really like the white wolf knights and want to include them. I found a reference to a Grey Order of these guys (only seen 1 reference and just to reconfirm i am totally new to all this so i could be way off in my understanding of the lore) who travel the Empire fighting to restore thier honour and so I thought this would be how i fit them in.

As they travel the Empire i have had a go at showing this on their mounts (bags, blankets etc). I am not sure it really works so i offer myself up for some constructive feedback (at least its a little more interesting than a bit of fur right).

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 09:44:32 PM »
your skills seem more than adequate, however I don't think that I would have place that bag and blanket where you did, how should I say it?...... well horseys go poopy, and that is right where they do it at, and the tail is raised in the poop mode.  Closer to the saddle would have been better. Overall quite a good job, now get busy and impress us with your painting.  Thanks for sharing. steveb

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 09:50:31 PM »
Ok, I'm beginning to get excited about this now. That's some very nifty sculpting... looking forward to seeing your paintjob... and then a whole regiment of them  :wink:
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Pinback

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 09:53:48 PM »
hahahaha...... You are so right about the poop issue Steve.... So glad i started on the spare horse to practice. So glad GW give you these extras.