home

Author Topic: Pistol Pete's Blog! Going Back to Cali & Warhammer Humor  (Read 72661 times)

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
Re: Pistol Pete's Blog- Now Featuring the Mortars, Hansel & Gretel
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »
These are my mortars, Hansel and Gretel.  You'll notice the barrels have been filled in with epoxy to make them look less like trash cans and more like real mortars.  Also, a shield has been glued on to the elevation block to add a bit of personality to the mortars.

Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
Re: Pistol Pete's Blog- Now Featuring the Arch-Lector's Throne
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 11:06:29 PM »
Nice little conversions. Which one is Hansel and which one Gretel? :laugh:
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 11:21:49 PM »
Nice little conversions. Which one is Hansel and which one Gretel?

Hansel is the first mortar (with the small skull emblem), Gretel is the second mortar with the larger skull emblem.

Here's some pix of the Gretel with her celebrated crew:

Josef Schwarzepuder- Engineer (not master engineer, just the guy who's in charge. He's the guy with the pipe)
Simon Agidius- Powder Monkey (kid with the blunderbuss)
Konrad Hildebrandt- The Loader (burly guy with the hand-and-a-half sword)

Konrad will cut your head off, Simon will blow your head off, and Joseph will talk your ear off. 

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:23:54 PM by Pistol Pete »
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
Pistol Pete's Blog- KF, the AL, plus Hansel & Gretel
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 11:45:46 PM »
Here's my Karl Franz on horseback (Deathhoof?).

Here's a pic of Otto Schweinmann, the WP, and my Arch Lector on foot.

Heres a pic of my Elector Count/Empire General

Here's a pic of my mounted WP

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 12:44:08 AM »
Oh my... brilliant conversions there!
Karl Franz being drunk on a horse is too good!

I think the Empire General is the least ... outstanding plastic mini you've posted in this bunch. He just seems so mediocre compared to the rest of these mind blowing conversions. That's my honest opinion.

sj

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 01:22:41 AM »
I think the Empire General is the least ... outstanding plastic mini you've posted in this bunch. He just seems so mediocre compared to the rest of these mind blowing conversions. That's my honest opinion.

Yeah, he's a much older mini that I built for the 6th edition empire.  The mounted EG with a great weapon is much more mediocre than he was in the 6th ed.  The only cool thing is the Brettonian leg armor, which actually does look pretty snazzy.  It'll look better painted, as the fabric can add a dash of color to an otherwise metallic model.  The biggest issue with him, in my own opinion is the head with the laurels which has been done to death. 

The mounted WP is actually my least favorite of the bunch, as he's rather boring (he needs a shield at least!).  He's actually got the torso that goes with the EotG's pants.  I used the brettonian knights torso as heavy armor since it's chain mail.  Other than that he's not particularly fancy.  He comes from the same period as the Elector Count, and he's even less impressive with a great weapon than the EG.

These guys are just here for completeness, as I post my characters.  By the way, those bases are magnetic.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:37:52 AM by Pistol Pete »

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 08:05:35 AM »
Some excellent conversions here.

The shields on the Mortars are a nice touch as is the barrels being filled in.

The crew is very characterfull and I see that you've hollowed out the nozzle of the blunderbus which looks very good. Did you use any special tools/technique for that?

KF looks really good though I'm not sure about that bottle, do you plan on adding a silver seal?

The priests on foot look very good. The use of the old dwarven plastic hammer head is excellent, far better in proportion than the one from the new general kit. :eusa_clap:

The general on horse is indeed not that great. I think this has several reasons. One being the way he holds that sword, it's not dynamic and it's not in a relaxed position, being neither it looks unnatural. Secondly that left arm. I've never liked that one because to me it gives a (mounted) model far too much of a clumsy gorrila look. Finally he seems to be sitting a bit hunched over in the saddle.

The WP on horse also has an issue. I believe it's simply a matter of proportions. The long legs together with the stocky torso. If you can elongate the torso I think he'll look much better.

Keep up the good work!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 08:08:18 AM by BAWTRM »
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2008, 03:54:12 AM »
I see that you've hollowed out the nozzle of the blunderbus which looks very good. Did you use any special tools/technique for that?

First I drill a hole in the center of the blunderbus.  Then I take my exacto blade and spin the point inside the hole, gradually opening the hole up and creating a cone shaped hole.  Once the hole is expanded as deep as you can go, you need to widen the hole to match the flare of the bell.  Pull the blade from the exacto knife, and put the blade in backwards, so that the square end is sticking out and the point of the blade is clamped in the handle.  Use that square edge to open up the angle of that hole.  Because the tail end of the blade sticks out at a funky angle, you may find it easier to hold the blade steady and rotate the part instead.  Once you're finished you may want to free-hand the blade around the inside to smooth it out a bit, and create an interior curve.  Lastly, a drop of plastic solvent (not glue!) will soften and smooth away any rough spots.

This technique works for bells and trumpets as well.  I used it on some of the flails from the new flagellants kit.  The bells on the flails are difficult to do (the flail part is pointy and hurts to hold on to, and the chains are delicate), but the end result looks really good.  I added a clapper made from plastic rod for an extra touch.

The general on horse is indeed not that great. I think this has several reasons. One being the way he holds that sword, it's not dynamic and it's not in a relaxed position, being neither it looks unnatural. Secondly that left arm. I've never liked that one because to me it gives a (mounted) model far too much of a clumsy gorrila look. Finally he seems to be sitting a bit hunched over in the saddle.

The WP on horse also has an issue. I believe it's simply a matter of proportions. The long legs together with the stocky torso. If you can elongate the torso I think he'll look much better.

Well, the general on horse is going to be replaced with something nicer, and he'll probably be shuffled off into the Dogs of War army I've got brewing on the back burner (the refuge for ugly models).  All my mediocre stuff is going there... I have loads of old 6th ed state troops that are going to be piked.  It's not that I'm trying to make an ugly DoW army, but rather that I want something to do with models that have been rotated out of my "pride and joy" empire army.  DoW is a logical choice as they are visually similar, and thematically intertwined.  This will be a loaner army or a "I need a challenge" army.

The priest is not worth fixing, as I rarely field a mounted priest, and I don't mind him being a little on the stocky side (look at Brother Otto for cryin out loud!  Empire priests have always been a little chunky).  I think his biggest issue is those awful legs from the old champion sprue.  They don't look good on anybody!  A good shield should dress him up nicely enough for my purposes, however. 

KF looks really good though I'm not sure about that bottle, do you plan on adding a silver seal?

I'm planning a version of KF for each version (griffon, dragon, horse, and on foot), and this is the only one who will have a bottle... I don't want to paint the man as an alcoholic (considering how much fuss that bottle has gotten, I may paint it blue and slap an Aquafina label on it!).  I'd never field him on foot, but he'll look good, I think, as a centerpiece.  I'm not sure If I'll ever get around to putting him on a dragon, but I've already got a griffon for him.

I've already got an idea for the silver seal, but I haven't gotten around to converting it yet.  I'm thinking of making a medallion for his hat to serve as the seal, but we'll see.  In any case, he looks better than the horrible GW Karl Franz... blech.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 07:43:35 AM »
Thanks for the tips on that hollowing out technique, I think I'll start trying that one!

And I'm not concerned about KF lugging around some alcohol. It's just that I don't really see him taking a swig in the middle of a battle. :icon_wink:

If he drinks too much he'll have to visit that outhouse of yours during the battle. :icon_lol:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 02:30:16 PM »
Where did the fat warpriest body come from Pete... looks very cool.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Alexander de Wissont

• Members
  • Missing our most Eccentric member, a great man
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »
Same question as the Horned Guy.
Everything else was said before me. (Shit, again :dry: )
Everything in one way or another references Monty Python
Rufas the Eccentric.RIP

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 03:06:01 PM »
That's a Bret M@A body if I'm not mistaken.

PhillyT

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 04:53:58 PM »
No kidding.... crap.  When my LGS died I could have bought a box of them for nothing.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2008, 03:41:48 AM »
Where did the fat warpriest body come from Pete... looks very cool.

Brother Otto is made from the Brettonian monk on the Men at Arms champion sprue.  I shaved the hair from his head (he originally sported a monks tonsure) to make him look more sigmarish, and filed away, or changed the shape of any Bret iconography.

What really makes the mini work, however is the new boots he's got on.  The Bret figs are scaled down from empire troops, and the original mini has tiny feet.  That wouldn't do, so I gave him big, stompin' empire boots from the old empire command sprue (or from the cannon sprue... I can't remember and all my bitz are mixed).

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2008, 10:40:38 AM »
Those big stomping boots look like they came from the artillery crew. :::cheers:::

PhillyT

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
Re: Pistol Pete's Blog- Pegasus Cap'n in the house!
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2008, 04:14:29 AM »
Heres my pegasus captain... he's still a WIP model but the basics are there...

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2008, 04:27:39 AM »
One of the things I really like about this conversion is the weapon on the cap'n.  It can represent a great weapon, a halberd, or a lance depending on the army list.  It makes the model a bit more adaptive to any role you care to assign him. 

The captain has a marauder head with dwarf helmet wings... I wanted a captasus with a winged helm, and it took awhile to get something that looked right.  I quite like it.  The pistol is a conversion of a dwarf pistol with the second barrel removed, and the stock lengthened.

The other thing I really like about this conversion is the horses head.  It took a lot of work to get on just right, but it looks far better than the original pegasus head (it's the feathers in the mane I can't stand... ugh!).  This uses a horse head from the brettonian knights boxed set.  I added a cape in the front of the horse out of plasticard, to go with the hooded horse head.  I think it'll look really neat painted up, adding lots of color to the model.

You might notice that the feet have been subtly repositioned to allow the model to rear up, rather than to be stuck on a flying base.  I'm going to put him on a scenic base and I like the idea of a rearing pegasus about to stomp somebody into the mud.

The biggest flaw with this model is that the lance rides too close to the horses headpiece, and it detracts from both the lance and the headpeice.  The captain will go on a different pegasus, and a new rider will be built for this one.  It's a daunting task and I don't look forward to it, which is why it's been shuffled off into the "when i get around to it" pile.

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2008, 08:32:22 AM »
Pistol Pete! Bro! What's with you and these fantastical conversions...

I see what you mean about the lance...

Can't think up of any resolutions at the moment...

sj

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2008, 10:07:04 AM »
Outstanding conversions Pistole Pete  :eusa_clap: My only critique would be that the gun holding hand seems a little bit too static, but otherwise all fits in very well and is very original  :::cheers:::
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 12:01:30 PM »
Damn, those are excellent conversions!

I'm working on a captasus myself and was quite pleased with it BEFORE I saw this.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline HistoryBuff08

• Members
  • Capitan of the Estalian Tercio
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2008, 02:09:11 PM »
WOW! totally stunning. This stuff is great , just keep it coming!!
Check out my Army Blog in the Brush and Pallette!

Podhammer: what real Nerds use their iPod for.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2008, 03:46:55 PM »

It`s Prince Vultan !

Nice conversions  :eusa_clap:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:58:36 PM by Victor »

Offline Alexander de Wissont

• Members
  • Missing our most Eccentric member, a great man
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2008, 07:42:48 PM »
Who's Prince Vultan? :unsure:
Everything in one way or another references Monty Python
Rufas the Eccentric.RIP

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2008, 07:18:29 AM »
It`s Prince Vultan !

I loved that movie as a kid... I had an uncle that dragged us to all the sci-fi shlock classics (remember Space Hunter, with Molly Ringwald?), and the Bruce Lee flicks.  Flash Gordon had everything a kid could possibly want, but I suspect it may not hold up so well to a picky adult.

My only critique would be that the gun holding hand seems a little bit too static, but otherwise all fits in very well and is very original

Well he's holding his lance high with one hand... if he had the pistol straight out and aimed at something, it'd look funny.  I chose that particular arm for the poofy sleeve and I think it gives him a sort of laid back feel, like a gunslinger who's got an easy shot, and is about to lazily shoot the bad guy from the hip without breaking a sweat.  Of course, he might look nice with the pistol arm from the new general's kit, but he was built awhile ago, so I may leave him as is.  I do intend to build a new (and differently styled) pegasus rider, so I may do that for him.  Those of you with a sharp eye might notice the kroot shoulder pad on the cap'n and the terminator shield on the pegasus's chest. 

WOW! totally stunning. This stuff is great , just keep it coming!!

I'm quite proud of the pegasus, but not everything I do is stunning (see the above comments regarding the empire general!).  Next up should be a quicky unit of light pikemen.  I've got 'em mostly together but lost my brass rod at the last minute and it really set me back.  I made a trip to go pick some up but all I came back with was the 40k basing kit and a Battle for Macragge set.   :icon_rolleyes:

I did, however find my brass rod when I got back, so if work is light this week I may have a finished unit.  I'm using some old models from the 5th-6th edition swordsmen/halberdier box that have been sitting around for awhile.  Originally I intended to use the old spearmen for pikemen, but then I found a better use for them (snazzzy halberdiers!) so the old halberdiers are now pikemen (for a dogs of war army that may or may not ever happen.  Either way, I'll have a unit of pikes to play with.  I've got plans for a unit of heavy armored pikes but they'll have to wait until I can get some leg armor made up.