home

Author Topic: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Love is in the Air  (Read 55215 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Sewer Rat?
« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2018, 03:17:00 AM »
Love it! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Sewer Rat?
« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2018, 10:53:25 PM »
HAHAH love it as always
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - The Agony Aunts
« Reply #177 on: November 17, 2018, 09:14:28 PM »
We’re on the last legs of this epic now – so first we have:-

The Agony Aunts

After much searching I couldn’t find suitable figures so I used these two figures of unknown origin to carry the GS. I think the sculpting is better than the painting.

Dotsie and Sadie are possibly sisters and possibly even real aunts. Not really part of the Watch but as the Guild of Seamstresses doesn’t want the Watch interfering with their trade, when matters cannot be sorted by a troll with a big club the Agony Aunts resolve the  issue.

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
  • Crying Havoc since 1992!
« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2018, 12:23:00 AM »
Delightful!
Seeee todo este ouro... for MEU!

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2018, 04:59:08 AM »
The other day, I learned one of my coworkers last name is Ogg [she uses a pseudonym at our workplace] I've taking to calling her 'Nanny'. Few get the joke.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Andre
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2018, 09:55:57 AM »
Andre

Another figure I had problems sourcing until I made my Pleasant Surprise for Captain Fearless. The piano is just plastic card.

Andre is a member of the Cable Street Particulars (secret police).  He is also a member of the Musicians Guild which in one case allowed him to work undercover as a pianist at the Opera House.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Bluejohn
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2018, 07:28:49 PM »
Bluejohn

Bluejohn is one of the largest trolls in Ankh-Morpork, but having rebuilt Detritus the original model was looking a little small so I took a saw and expanded him a bit.

In Raising Steam he travels on the railway so I wanted some way of connecting him to this. He’s turned out a bit more American than Flying Scotsman.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Bluejohn
« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2018, 08:25:31 PM »
These last two are incredible conversions. So much character
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Brick
« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2018, 07:54:31 AM »
Brick

When the troll Brick first appeared in the stories he was a loser’s loser, having hit something much lower than rock bottom. He tries to make himself look tougher but his skulls are from a joke shop and are made of paper mache or rubber. He is eventually adopted by Detritus and Ruby.

Dummy

During a time of riots in the streets, Detritus recruited this dummy from outside Corksocks Natty clothing Co. into the Watch

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Flint & Buggy
« Reply #184 on: November 19, 2018, 07:17:52 PM »
Flint & Buggy

Repaint of an earlier version

Flint has a habit of testing any unusual substance by dipping his finger into it and tasting – this can lead to him being tied to his bed for days until the spiders go away. He is often partnered by Buggy Squires who acts as a minder; unfortunately Buggy has been distracted and Flint has just extracted his finger from the latest bag of unidentified coloured powder.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Flint & Buggy
« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2018, 02:17:00 AM »
Simply WOW  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Schist
« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2018, 08:42:01 AM »
Schist

Entering a number of painting events at Games Workshop stores I originally thought that I could only use their products. Schist was an attempt to create a troll from an ogre. The store manager later said scratch builds were acceptable so he was the first and last ogre troll.

Schist was another officer to resign during the street riots.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Edge
« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2018, 03:49:33 PM »
Edge

The Ankh-Morpork Watch have progressed so much that they now train watchmen for other parts of the world. Sergeant Edge now works in his home town of Sto Lat but has returned to visit his comrades bringing a most welcome gift which you may remember from another thread is a speciality of his homeland (these are hopefully the last two I’ll ever paint). There is no truth in the rumour that Nobby and Colon recommended the colour choice of his uniform by suggesting that it was perfect for hiding in fields whenever there was work to be done.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Edge
« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2018, 04:39:28 PM »
I like him! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Emile
« Reply #189 on: November 21, 2018, 08:55:24 AM »
Emile

Emile is another outsider trained by the Watch. He is a Captain in the Quirm Gendarmerie and is in Ankh as part of an exchange visit. Quirm is slightly French in character and Vimes felt their force’s helmets were wrong so I started with a kipi and while searching the net for images of these came across French military uniforms of the 1700s with red, white and blue stripes and so Emile was born.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #190 on: November 21, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »
Wow, what a great looking figure, and wonderfully painted. :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #191 on: November 21, 2018, 01:29:08 PM »
Yes; I believe Quirm is famous for its cheeses but under NO circumstances should you ever say [if your part of a visiting brand] 'We're bigger than chesses'

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Dorfl
« Reply #192 on: November 22, 2018, 08:54:13 AM »
Dorfl & Goat

Repaints of earlier versions of these characters

Dorfl is a golem, over a thousand years old, and while he is still basically human in shape his original features have faded and his colour become mottled where repairs, including a new foot, have been added over the years. His previous job had been in a slaughter house where his equipment was a cleaver, a goat and a slate slung over his shoulder to communicate to the other staff there.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Mr AE Pessimal
« Reply #193 on: November 22, 2018, 07:03:55 PM »
Mr AE Pessimal

This figure perfectly summed up AE once he was given a chain mail shirt: i.e. short, neat and tidy, mail too big for him and ready and prepared to take on anyone, even a troll. Unfortunately while the above is correct, AE, an accountant by trade, was as strong as a kitten and twice a thin – he does however have the heart of a lion and did attack a troll so he will remain as is.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Mrs Dodger
« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2018, 08:02:45 AM »
Mrs Dodger

GS over an unknown figure

Mrs Dodger works in the staff canteen. Due to missing cups and cutlery she has most items tied on pieces of string, but as you can see her efforts are in vain, they have at least left the string this time.

(at 4X actual size the painting looks awful!!)

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Precious Jolson
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2018, 07:33:21 PM »
Precious Jolson

There’s little in the books about this Watch officer other than she is not large but family sized, has muscles like a troll and comes from Howondaland.

Howondaland is where there are pygmies which suggests an African inspired country. On a semi-official Discworld web site it has also been suggested she has a similarity to the traditionally built detective of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by AM Smith.

One proper character has already been allowed to keep a traditional curved sword while on duty so I’ve allowed those from foreign lands to retain some of their culture while serving, I just got carried away with my interpretation of Precious.

I intended to base her on my spare copy of Brunhilda until I realised I sold her so she’s now a mixture of milliputt and GS over a wooden core.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Sally
« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2018, 08:55:50 AM »
Sally

The origin of this figure is unknown, I do know the arms and head are conversions and all has had a lot of GS work.

Sally is not human and requires her clothes to be designed to protect her from the sun, long sleeves, gloves and helmet with an extended brim. Her skirt and boots are based on those acquired following her, and Angua’s, experience at the Pink Pussy Cat Club (As mentioned earlier by Rowsdower). I thought it would be fun for her main weapon to be a large wooden stake.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2018, 12:41:10 PM »
The vibrant color is wonderful! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2018, 01:31:29 PM »
Yes; I remember now. The gag about them mud wrestling

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Traffic Cops
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2018, 08:42:43 PM »
Chert

A repaint of an earlier figure.

Chert is a member of the new Traffic Division set up due to the numbers and behaviour of the carters in the town. He is currently dealing with parking problems and it looks like someone’s tried to avoid a fine by attempting to remove the Morpork Boot.

Rodney & Newt

Rodney is a highly trained iconography imp who paints pictures of speeding carts from inside his little house. Unfortunately a cart with only one wheel is a handful to control as this out-of-towner has found to his cost. Rodney’s pet salamander provides flash illumination for night time paintings.