home

Author Topic: Oh **** moments  (Read 5078 times)

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
Oh **** moments
« on: May 06, 2013, 09:43:42 PM »
We've all been there at least once...you're happily painting away, then look again and realise that wasn't *exactly* what you meant to do. Or maybe your colour scheme didn't work out exactly how you'd pictured it in your mind. What are the biggest doozies you've had and how did you fix them?

I was working on the final stage of the wooden frame for my Screaming Bell last night and hit the whole thing with a green wash....instead of carefully dropping it into the recesses. Net result, an overly green Screaming Bell. At a rough guess, I'll have to go back to the mid-layer wash and work up from there again.
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Oh **** moments
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »
One of the benefits of being a so-so painter is low expectations. Another is most of my models only get 4 or 5 coats of paint, so there is less to redo. Towards the end of working on my Empire army I just took two wizards I was working on and through them in the paint stripper - they are still there I think. Another time, I was working on a Daemon and almost did the same, but repainting his armour from silver to gold saved him (just about). Before now, I've picked up the wrong brush and sloshed paint on something I meant to only wash - in that circumstance dropping the mini into your water pot can save the day, and before now I have actually licked paint off a mini in an emergency...

Worst I've known was my mate, who went to varnish a finished scenery piece. picked up the wrong spray can and blasted it with textured grey undercoat. Ouch.  :eusa_wall:

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:41:31 PM »
Worst I've known was my mate, who went to varnish a finished scenery piece. picked up the wrong spray can and blasted it with textured grey undercoat. Ouch.  :eusa_wall:

That had to hurt.
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline somegeezer

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 10:52:14 PM »
A long, long time ago I (briefly) worked for GW. They asked for people to paint Imperator titans and mega-Gargants for Games Day '94. I pulled an all-nighter to finish the 3 Evil Sunz mega-Gargants I'd volunteered to do.

Under my bedroom's weak lightbulb they looked AWESOME. Under daylight they were a violent hi-vis orange. I spent Games Day lying under a table checking for shoplifters (so sleep-addled I've no idea who was nicking what) so I didn't even get to see the demo and the horror of the high-vis Gargants.
My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:04:53 PM »
There was a good bit in WD a couple of months back about this type of thing by Jervis Johnson I think. Like an article on hobbying nightmares.

Instead of painting he referenced the times when you drop that one piece you want to use, off the sprue and onto the floor; never to be seen again. I have to agree with him, I have a shagpile carpet and there must be dozens of warhammer bits in amongst the fluff. It's like a cemetery of Moor in there.
:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 12:04:22 AM »

That's why I always double check my spray can, because I would be so devastated to ruin a freshly painted unit, by such a simple mistake.

I think my worst hobby moment was dropping a pot of blood red paint on my tan carpet.  Fun times.
Usually I have a female mage holding my Rod of Power   :-D

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 01:05:31 AM »
 :icon_cry: I was painting a snotling pump wagon and just finished it..i hit it with what I thought was sealer and it ended up being white primer
OH man I cried  :| :|
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 04:46:18 AM »
Luckily most of my really bad moments were back in the metal figure days so they were easy to strip. The worst things for me though were fogging varnishes after a piece is finished. Another one was a bit more recent (i.e. a current project) Cutting the bottom off a Dakkajet because I wanted to streamline the bottom a bit....big mistake, It was my first try at creating a ribbed framework to rebuild the fuselage around and it looks like it crashed belly down. Worst part is I spent nearly 16 hours to make it look that bad  :eusa_wall:
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 06:52:37 AM »
Worst thing I have tried so far is the dog accompanying Warlord's witch hunter. I tried to use the wet-in-wet technique one of those GD painters showed me (it looked so simple, and my first attempt - a horse - was not too bad), but I totally ruined the dog.  :eusa_sick: Fortunately, it is a tin mini so I can easily strip it, and start from scratch again.

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 08:52:58 AM »
When I did my Post-apocalyptic swamp gaming table, I used wood glue for water effect finish on all the watery parts. However, the new bottle didn't dry clear... Oh, the humanity...  :ph34r:

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 02:28:45 AM »
washed my brushes in my tea during a heavy session of painting and didn't realise it till I got thirsty and took a drink. steveb

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 02:42:07 AM »
I've been working on a regiment with kilts. First off it's turning out to be remarkably hard to find a decent Tartan pattern that fits on something the size of a warhammer model. The big problem moment came when I discovered that while the tartan looked great when the paint was wet, when it tried it darkened up so much you could barely notice it. Such an incredible shame, now I have to go back and do all 30 troops again.

Offline Nicholas Ironfist

• Members
  • Witch Hunter Extraordinaire, Count of Sylvania.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 03:41:39 AM »
washed my brushes in my tea during a heavy session of painting and didn't realise it till I got thirsty and took a drink. steveb

Same here but with coffee, didn't drink the paint water but wondered why the brush tasted so good when I was re-tipping it......anyone else put brushes in their mouth to put points on the brush?
Care not for the judgement of others, but go forth and do as you see fit.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 03:49:48 AM »

Same here but with coffee, didn't drink the paint water but wondered why the brush tasted so good when I was re-tipping it......anyone else put brushes in their mouth to put points on the brush?

I've dipped in my coffee too.

Also glued my fingers to plenty of figures. I've cut myself plenty of times too. Which makes me think of the worst X-acto accident I've seen. Not hobby related, but when I was in school, one of my classmates in the architecture studio accidentally impaled an X-acto blade completely in his leg.

I've also had some spray related accidents. Not primer, but I did have some clear coat go foggy -- on a bunch of figures painted as a commission.

Most frustrating was that I spent a bunch of time and money putting together modular gaming table boards and they all warped. But of the 4 boards, three warped in the same direction (so they mostly matched) while the fourth one warped in the opposite direction. (Sort of like convex vs. concave.) Luckily(?), over time (years... like 10 of them) the warping actually relaxed & they eventually looked better.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 06:43:56 AM »
I've had very few oh crap moments in my hobby work. I've had some small oops while painting that were quickly and easily fixed.

The one oh crap moment which I can remember was a metal VOR Union Sniper I painted for a painting contest. I had finished it up and got it clear coated nicely. As it was an online painting comp, I had to take pictures of it. I got my camera rig all set up and took pictures, rotating it and taking pictures from all sides. As I finish taking the pictures and I go to grab the miniature, which was sitting on a small box with a cloth or paper on it, I manage bump the box/paper/cloth stack. The miniature leaps forward and bounces off my fingers and proceeds to play plinko with the legs of my tripod. I think it managed to bounce off the legs and braces about 20 times, at least that's what it sounded like, although it was maybe only four times. Once it came to a rest I picked it up and found that the 20 or so hours I had put into it were wasted. It had about five major chips in it. To this day it sits on my shelf in the same state it was. I just haven't gotten the energy to go back and fix it. I was not happy to say the least. To top it all the off the pictures were not that great and I had to make due with what I had.

I've cut myself plenty of times too. Which makes me think of the worst X-acto accident I've seen. Not hobby related, but when I was in school, one of my classmates in the architecture studio accidentally impaled an X-acto blade completely in his leg.

I've never really cut myself bad. Just very minor surface cuts that heal in a couple days. Maybe a couple times jabbing 1/16" of the end of my No. 11 X-acto blade into a fingertip. However I remember one time when my brother cut himself with an X-acto knife. He had a No. 5 handle, which is the big handle and not the smaller one for the standard No. 11 blade. He had one of the wooden boxed sets with the assortment of blades and handles. Well one of the blades for the No. 5 handle is a leaf shaped blade that is sharp on both sides. They still sell these kits, but I don't think they include this blade anymore. I suspect that they may not include it just for this reason. The blade is this one, the No. 23.

Well as a lot of people do when trying to cut something with a normal single sided blade and they are having a hard time cutting they'll take their thumb and press on the back of it to help push it through. Well, not thinking and using this blade, he did just that and pressed his thumb into a razor sharp blade. He ended up with about an inch long cut on his thumb. The worst part about it was that once he realized what he did was started shaking his hand up and down while calling out "Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap!" Much like people do when they smash their finger with a hammer. Of course this caused blood to spray all over our kitchen. Our father wasn't home, so after he calmed down he just wrapped it and let it heal. He probably should have had stitches but he didn't. Needless to say, he's never pushed on the back of a knife again, at least as far as I know.

Then there was the time that my brother and I were doing stupid teen things when our father wasn't home and I shot myself in the finger with the primer cap out of 30-30 shell. All the details aren't important, if you really want to know what happened PM me. However my brother had to dig around in my finger with a tweezers to pull the primer cap out of a hole in my skin that was about a mm in diameter. Suffice to say we stopped taking apart shotgun and rifle shells after that! Luckily something worse didn't happen. Remember kids, bullets are not to be messed around with! :blush:

Thinking back, my brother and I had a whole lot of "Oh crap moments when we were young." Mostly when doing stupid teen stuff.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:46:52 AM by Delthos »
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 01:02:50 PM »
I had just declared my latest mini as finished. I held it up to admire my work... and dropped it right on top of my wet palette.

not as bad as spraying it but I still was pretty upset
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 01:37:21 AM »
A bad batch of plastic glue crystallized instead of bonding. I not only had to rebuild about a dozen or so guys I'd spent hours building around Christmas, including heavily converted knights, but my Skullvayne Manse crumbled apart as well.  :Ohmy:

While rebuilding Manse, I basically turned myself into a dolphin with Zap by glueing most of my right hand together. Not a shining moment for someone that's been doing this for over 20 years... :unsure:

Worst part was, my night of hobbying was pretty much done because I couldn't feel or manipulate anything with my glue crusted fingertips. :cry:
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline jimbeanie

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »
I'm converting ten high elf chariot lions into mounts for my reiksguard knights. I've been cutting away barding on the lions shoulders and replacing it with empire horse barding. I found there were large cavities in the lions' chests which I decided to fill with a white putty. On the tube it said the putty could be used with plastic. Unfortunately the putty completely melted two of lions leaving me just their heads, front paws and hindquarters.  :icon_evil: I'm not the best with greenstuff so rebuilding the bastard things was a complete pain in the arse.

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 09:04:29 PM »

anyone else put brushes in their mouth to put points on the brush?

I don't put them in my mouth, but I do spit on my finger and reshape the tip after washing them.  How do they taste? :biggriin:
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline TheHoundmaster

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »
....anyone else put brushes in their mouth to put points on the brush?

All the time!
"What I like best about a siege is that there is nowhere for them to run..."
+++ Witch-hunter Zacharia Schmundt +++

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 11:27:12 PM »
There's another way to point a brush???

For the record, Foundation paints taste nasty, others mostly okay.

I also keep Greenstuff workable by tucking it in my cheek and giving it an occasional chew, and I usually lick my tools while working with it - the other day I got superglue on my tongue, because I used one of my tools to apply it.

Do NOT chew Milliput though, it is actually soluble in water and I don't like the idea of that...

Knives are my favourite. I always have a couple of cuts on my hands, and my worst trick is sticking knives in my thigh. Ruined a couple of pairs of trousers that way! I try to do no heavy cutting while seated now, but sometimes I forget.

Oh, I've stuck small drill bits in my hands quite often too, they make deep holes which hurt a lot, be warned!

Superglued my fingers together countless times. The totally bad ass chemicals I use to strip paint eat it pretty well - sadly, they also sting like hell on your skin, so still not ideal.

Offline Eltrummor

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 08:42:17 AM »
When I started painting, as a 9-year old, I didn't understand the idea of priming.  :engel:
The Empire does not take you seriously until you've sacked Nuln

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 12:11:48 PM »
Knives are my favourite. I always have a couple of cuts on my hands, and my worst trick is sticking knives in my thigh. Ruined a couple of pairs of trousers that way! I try to do no heavy cutting while seated now, but sometimes I forget.

I'm in the same camp as you. Constant cuts all over my fingers.

I have (twice) knocked a surgical scalpel off my work table. Once it went through my shoe and into my foot, the second time through the crotch of my trousers... thankfully missing anything irreplaceable by mere millimetres.

I too have accidentally primed a finished miniature instead of varnishing. I check every time now.

And finally, yes I too am a coffee-dipping brush licker.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 01:21:58 PM »
I sprayed some models in my garden on Saturday night, and forgot to bring them inside. Went outside on Sunday morning and saw my newspaper all torn up. “oh shit! Some cat has eaten my resin and metal models :(
But thankfully they had just torn up and eaten the newspaper and left the models. So it was an almost “oh shit” moment.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.