home

Author Topic: High Elves vs Orcs Battle Rep (Pictures)  (Read 9397 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
High Elves vs Orcs Battle Rep (Pictures)
« on: April 25, 2010, 03:18:24 PM »
Hope you don't mind the fact there's no Empire in this report, but you guys know that Warhammer Empire is my forum 'home' and I thought you may be interested. Please delete, Mods, if I am in the wrong.

Stop the Waagh!

The Greenskins had to be stopped, and stopped now. There was no more time to gather forces. If their advance was not halted the next day, then the town of Dallihassu would fall. Yes, the Greenskins might be defeated at the town, but the town would be ruined in the process, and Lord Mhatulach could not let that happen.

Thus it was that with only half the strength of the principality mustered the Archmage ordered them to march along the western road towards the advancing goblinoids. Yet Mhatulach was confident, for he had the best of his soldiers with him, veteran fighters of such prowess as would amaze almost every non-elven warrior in the world. His Pheonix Guard had fought in more battles than a dwarf could keep tally of, and his White Lions had led raids into the most dangerous lands in the entire world and survived.

‘Let the foul, green masses fall upon our warriors’, he told his noble captain Tirnifar. ‘Let them crash against us in wave after wave. We will not fall back but shall pile their foul corpses high as mountains if needs be.’

High Elves - 2250 points

Archmage (Lvl 4) Mhatulach - Ring of Fury, 3 x dispel scrolls
Mage (Lvl 2) - Silver Wand, Loremaster’s Cloak
Noble, Captain Tirnifar - Armour of Caledor, Guardian Pheonix

10 Archers
10 Archers

5 Dragon Princes - full command, Drakemaster with Helm of Fortune
19 Swordmasters - full command
19 Pheonix Guard - full command
10 White Lions - full command

3 Repeater Bolt Throwers

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Warboss Gabdugg could smell the settlement, for the sweet scent or their orchards and vinyards and the aromas of their delicately spiced cooking were upon the breeze. The sensation set his teeth of edge and made him hungry - not for their fruit or meats, but for the fight. So far all they had encountered were tiny settlements where only a handful of scrawny elves dwelt, or had done so before they fled away. The squabbles over what little there was to plunder had taken a heavy toll. But here there was the promise of a settlement worthy of a Waagh! A place that must surely be big enough to satisfy the greed of every warrior in his army.

Surveying his force he could see that it was the goblins that had suffered most in the arguments, for there was only one regiment of them left. Still, he grinned, for he could see that nearly every mean and surly orcen warrior that had joined him at the start was present. Better, he could see from their purposeful stride that they were as keen as him for battle.

Orcs & Goblins - 2250 points

Orc Warboss Gabdugg - Ulags Axe, Best Big Boss's 'At, Kickin' Boots
Orc Big Boss - Boar, Porko's Pigstikka, Collar of Zorga
Orc Shaman (Lvl 2) - Staff of Sorcery, Nibbla's 'Itty Ring
Goblin Shaman (Lvl 2) - Power Stone, Dispel Scroll

24 Orc Big'Uns - Extra Hand Weapon, Full Command, Nogg's Banner of Butchery
25 Orc Boyz - Extra Hand Weapon, Full Command
25 Orc Arrer Boyz - Full Command
25 Goblins - Full Command
8 Goblin Wolf Riders - Musician, Short Bows

2 Goblin Spear Chukkas
2 Orc Boar Chariots
6 Orc Boar Boyz - Full Command, Gork's Waaagh! Banner

Goblin Doom Diver
Giant

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Field of Battle

The armies would clash where the plains met the forested hills, about three leagues from Dallihassu. The elven Archmage Lord Mhatulach was glad to see that there was a hill well placed for his war machines, as well as open ground over which the enemy must cross where his arrows and battle spells might sting again and again.

Deployment

Gabdugg growled his orders for deployment and watched as his bullies and bosses shoved and prodded the army into line.

The goblins crewing the Doom Diver dragged their burden to the far right of the line, cunningly realising that this would put them a safe distance from the enemy’s bolt throwers on the hill, as well as afford them a good view of the battlefield. The giant, who had been happy to help them push the machine into position (for half a mule the goblin crew had been saving for such an occasion) took his place by their side, with the surviving goblins marching upon his other flank. Then came the fighting orcs, the Big Uns and Boyz, with Gabdugg personally leading his best warriors.

Two Boar Chariots trundled by to the left of the main foot regiments, their axles squeeling as they ground iron against iron, and beyond these wheeled machines were placed a brace of Spear Chukkas. The goblin crew of one of these had been joined by the giggling goblin shaman Mad Budger. Next, arrayed in two ranks, were the Arrer Boyz, themselves having been joined by the Orc Shaman Plugroo.

The very left of the greenskin line was where the mounted regiments rode, with the Boar Boys and their Big Boss closest to the centre of the line and the Wolf Riders right out beyond the large rock. Some may have suspected that they were trying to avoid the fight, but not so - they had a plan to hit the enemy where they could hurt it.

The High Elves, already considerably less in numbers than the foe, made their front even smaller by adopting a double line with a vanguard of archers and a reaguard of fighting regiments. The Archmage Mhatulach stood to the fore with the white robed archers while his apprentice Mage stood to the left with the green-garbed archers. The Dragon Princes rode in a very neat line out on the far right of the line, with the hill and the Bolt Throwers separating them from the two main fighting regiments - the Swordmasters and Pheonix Guard.

Captain Tirnifar was some distance away from the main line, marching with the White Lions, approaching the foe from behind the line of trees on the Elven left. It was his intention to outflank the enemy, distract him and thus sap the strength of his forward charge.

Thus were the two armies arrayed, both sides confident of victory and full of hatred for the foe.

Battle to follow ASAP.

Note: Usual question - who d’ya reckon is gonna win? I played the Orcs and ‘J’ played the High Elves. He’s quite comfortable with them, though did lose a game against Dark Elves last week. I myself am the sort of Jack of all Trades who so rarely plays greenskins I nearly always forget to declare Waagh, or benefit from 20+ fighting orcs and all that sort of thing. I had, however, vowed to try my best to fight like a real orc for once.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 05:33:29 AM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: High Elves vs Orcs Battle Rep (Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 01:57:49 AM »
Padre, your bat reps always make my day.

While I would love to see the orcs adorned in the looted riches of the elves, I think the elves will win this one with their large elite units - I don't think the orcs can cut past them!

Hurry up and post the rest of the battle so we're not hanging here in suspense  :happy:

Tim
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:08:35 AM »
I am quite interested in this one but why are the close combat blocks of the HE hiding behind the archers?

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 12:48:01 PM »
I'm gonna have to back the HElves this time, their ASF rule is going to massacre the charging ladz.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 08:49:24 PM »
@ Fandir: Beats me. You'll just have to see what 'J' did with them next!

Let Loose the Orcs of Waagh!

Gabdugg’s Orcs could barely restrain themselves, and both large regiments of fighting Orcs had already begun the advance before the order was given (Boyz + Big Uns roll 6 animosity), which shaped the movement of the rest of the army into the shape of bull’s horns as if to gore the foe.

Warboss Gabdugg glanced to his left to see the Boyz were keeping abreast of him and the Big Uns. He did not need to turn his head any further to know that the army’s giant was moving up behind for he could hear well enough the thumping sound of his earth-shaking footfalls.

Both Boar Chariots squeezed through the gap between the Boyz and the Bolt throwers, forced by the Boyz hasty advance to move almost in a file.

Meanwhile the Wolfriders had moved around the far side of the rock and now approached tentatively from the flank, their beady little eyes squinting to peruse what lay before them.

All the magic that Mad Budger and Plugroo could channel from the great greenskins in the sky was swept away by elven cunning, but the elves could not so easily swat aside the spear chukkas’ bolts or the Orc Arrer Boys’ black-fletched missiles. One of the elven bolt throwers was damaged and four of their green clad archers were slain.

Great was the clamour as the massed Orcs advanced, their razor sharp choppas already raised above their heads in anticipation of the bloody work ahead of them. The drummers sounded a rapid but basic beat upon their pig-skin copper drums, while above all was raised the standard - a crude, rattling collection of giant ox skull parts.

Captain Tirnifar led the White Lions right through the nearby woods to burst out the other side and appear menacingly on the enemy’s right - yet the surprise was not as troubling as it might have been, because a large regiment of goblins was well placed to engage them, and thus prevent their flanking of the Greenskins’ real fighting regiments.

Much more caution was seen elsewhere along the Elven lines, for the Pheonix Guard simply shuffled a little sideways so that they might see the foe somewhat better, and the Dragon Princes ambled forwards just enough to see beyond the hill and thus look upon the field of battle.

The Archmage Lord Mhatulach and his apprentice Mage chose now to begin a magical assault, and settled a spell of arrow attraction upon the orcen archers who had killed four elves only moments before. Mhatulach intended this to be simply the beginning of a veritable storm of magic but something went awry with his next spell, Flames of the Pheonix, and as a consequence an orcen spell (Foot of Gork) spilled into the real world instead, forcing the Elven Lord to have to employ a dispel scroll to prevent its harm. Perhaps it was their anger at this failure that drove both elven mages then to attempt Fury of Khaine. Yet even this harmonious magical summoning failed, for both spells were stopped by the filthy greenskin shamans.

Thus it was left to bowstrings to play a deathly tune. Of course the orc Arrer Boyz were a tempting target, what with the shimmering haze of the magical spell flickering about them. Every archer in the vanguard loosed his arrow at them and six greenskins fell to the ground, black blood bursting from their wounds. The crew of the first Bolt Thrower on the hills thought that they must surely join in this destruction and loosed half a dozen quarrels of their own at the same foe, but only one orc succumbed. Seeing this disappointing result, the other two crews thought perhaps it would be better to aim their own machines at the Boar Riders hastening up on the Arrer Boyz’ left. A dozen more bolts left three of the massive boars squealing in pain and their riders tossed to the ground grievously wounded.

(Note: Yes, the eagle eyed Citadel history buffs amongst you might recognise that these particular bolt throwers are actually 1980’s Dark Elf war machines painted up as Wood Elf war machines but being employed in this game as High Elves. What can I say? An elf is an elf is an elf!)

(Turn 2 begins)

Now that they could see, smell and hear the Elves, the greenskins seemed happy to put aside old animosities between mob and mob, git and git, and get on with the business at hand. The Wolfriders, showing themselves to be masters of manoeuvre, being lightly armed and armoured, now made a dash which took them right onto the very flank of the Dragon Princes. Their arrows proved unequal to the task of piercing the knights’ armour, but they definitely had the foe’s attention, especially as if the Knights moved away then the Bolt Throwers on the hill would be opened up for attack.

The Giant and the Goblins approached the White Lions at the tree line, still intent on drawing this dangerous body away from the Orcs’ flank. If there had been more Elves then perhaps the Goblins would have felt trepidation at approaching them, but the White Lions seemed pitifully few and this bolstered the Goblins’ natural bullying nature. They truly believed they could take this foe.

In the centre the whole Greenskin line, apart from the battered Arrer Boyz, advanced much as they had before. The horns were turning into a noose. The Boars mved more cautiously than the rest, wholly aware that the Dragon Princes were arrayed in such a manner as to threaten their flank if they advanced too far, but also aware that the goblins were annoying the shining elves and might yet distract them fully.

By a variety of means, all the Shamans’ magic was brushed aside, while the Doom Diver’s crazed missile crazily missed. The Spear Chukkas pierced only the side of the hill, but the Arrer Boyz, riled by what had been done to them, slew three of the white cloaked archers.

With a Giant so close, most warriors would be unnerved, if not prone to fleeing. Not so the White Lions - instead they launched their own desperate charge towards the orcs. This proved a mistake, for the distance was too great and their rashness left them very much ill-placed to receive the Goblins’ attack that was now sure to come. (Game note: I told ‘J’ they were out by my guess, but her prayed they might be in by a whisker. Result = out by over an inch.)

Archmage Lord Mhatulach now ran from the archers to stand by the leftmost Bolt Thrower, while his Mage apprentice Ollathalla ran likewise to the rightmost machine. Once there she leapt onto the basket containing the supply of quarrels and readied herself to conjure the most potent magics she could.

In the centre the Phoenix Guard moved up to the left of the white Archers while the Sword-Masters marched on to stand between the two companies of Archers. Reluctantly, for they knew full well what a waste of their prowess this would be, the Dragon turned to face the Wolf-Riders, each knight wise enough to wonder whether such a foe might prove just a bit too slippery to catch.

Perhaps the greenskin shamans had other, closer concerns to fret about, but whatever the reason, they failed to prevent the curse of arrow attraction that fixed itself upon the Wolfriders (Note: I was expecting the nasty stuff to come and thought this would drain vital DD.) This proved a cunning lapse, for they did indeed manage to quell all else the Elven wizards could cast.

The curse proved fatal to the Wolfriders, for when one Bolt thrower lifted two of them bloodily into the air the rest quickly (and typically) turned and fled from the field. They would fight no more in this battle.

At the same moment the Green Archers and both other Bolt Throwers shot all they had at the Boar Riders. Only one of the mounted orcs succumbed to this volley, but this was enough to send the others fleeing just like their little cousins were doing off to the left.

Turn 3 to follow. Wanna revise your guesses? Or are you still happy with your first bets?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:11:46 PM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 02:48:53 AM »
The heck wiht betting, with these stories, it doesn't matter who wins.  Its the story, of course! :::cheers:::

I liked seeing the dark elf 1980's war machines as woodelf war machines. :icon_cool:

Someone painted that high elf cav quite nicely. :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 11:50:20 AM »
Skill wise the HE player isn´t doing to great I would place my money on the greenskins as right now lots of stuff can go wrong for the HE player.

Important tidbit you check panic at the end of the phase so those wolfriders should have checked only AFTER all other units have shot. Perhaps the HE player would have piled more shots on the unit to make sure they don´t reach the juicy bolt throwers (with the mages inside....I don´t get this he has two great body guard units Swordmasters and Phoenix guard and hides with archers and bolt throwers??)

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 02:21:58 PM »
Odd HE list, with the large units of elites. Still, the O&G army isn't optimized either and it's more of a fluff battle probably, so all the better for it. :)

I'm gonna say the HE's are going to win. Why? Because it looks like the Orcs are winning and I like to throw my vote in for the underdog. ;)
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 02:23:37 PM »
Odd HE list, with the large units of elites. Still, the O&G army isn't optimized either and it's more of a fluff battle probably, so all the better for it. :)

I'm gonna say the HE's are going to win. Why? Because it looks like the Orcs are winning and I like to throw my vote in for the underdog. ;)

Because of Midaskies strange post in the backtable I would say we call them the underweardogs.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 03:42:21 PM »
Important tidbit you check panic at the end of the phase so those wolfriders should have checked only AFTER all other units have shot. Perhaps the HE player would have piled more shots on the unit to make sure they don´t reach the juicy bolt throwers

Yeah, I thought this too - but it's an old 6th ed rule. When you read the 7th ed rules it says take the test immediately. This is probably the first time, I think, I've done it right, and here you are Fandir saying I've done it wrong. Please don't confuse me so! I'm addled enough as it is, with remnants of rules rattling around in my brain from 1983 1st edition onwards.

This is why things like taking panic tests when 25% of a charging unit are killed by a countershot are in the 7th ed. That rule would make no sense if you waited until the end of the phase 'cos then you'd be in combat and immune to pyschology.

EDIT: Or so my opponent convinced me and even showed me bits of text in the rules BUT ... see later post as to why I am utterly wrong here and Fandir is utterly right. I was hoodwinked, I tell you, though 'J' believed it wholeheartedly too! He and his mates have been doing it what they thought was the right way.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:18:43 PM by Padre »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 04:47:32 PM »
So with 8th edition coming out, your in for some more rattling, Padre. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 10:04:57 PM »
(Turn 3)

Waagh!

Gabdugg’s cry of ‘Waagh!’ went well, for every orc and goblin regiment moved forwards as a consequence, with the War Boss and his Big Uns heading straight for the Phoenix Guard. The goblins, filled with the spirit of the Waagh, launched themselves at the White Lions’ exposed flank …

… and even managed to kill one of them, though their own greenskin champion was hewn into two (equally large) pieces and thus killed instantly. Yet even with the massed ranks of goblins pressing on their flank the White Lions proved stubborn and failed to give ground, and a small number of goblins began to wonder if they had actually bitten off more than they could chew.

The fleeing Boars rallied as it simultaneously dawned on each of the riders that if they fled they would miss the looting of the elves' shiny things. Their renewed vigour for battle was not however shared by the Big Uns, for even though they had only just surged forwards filled with thoughts of Waagh, the sight of the Phoenix Guard standing like statues, unflinching, fearless, their halberds held aloft ready to chop, made everyone of the huge orcs, including Gabdugg himself, suddenly stop. They were, believe it or not, momentarily too afraid to charge!

Elsewhere the Orc Boyz advanced towards the enemy archers, and the foreward Boar Chariot trundled up to where it might deliver a charge against the Swordmasters. (Note: I kept forgetting that these tricksy elves could move 10” not 8”, so took this chariot closer than I should.)

The goblin shaman Mad Budger now ran forwards, leaving the Spear Chukka to join the same regiment of Arrer Boyz who were currently harbouring his orcen counterpart Plugroo. The two of them must have been distracted by their usual coarse greeting ritual (a variety of curse words and rude hand gestures) for their magical attacks were all brushed aside by the elven mages. Who can say what distracted the greenskin missile troops, but whatever did so every shot fell short or wide of the mark. Not one elf was harmed by the volley of arrow, spear and crazy goblin with crude leather wings!

Whether or not the elves noticed how lucky they had been, it was now that they began to launch their charges (Note: I realised earlier that it really makes no difference whether you get a charge in against High Elves or not, they strike first anyway. The trick is to have the combats take place where you want them too - and it’s the only trick you can really aim for!

The Swordmasters charged the chariot ahead of them, forced to wheel a little to avoid the Boyz, but still able to aim for the chariot. The orcen charioteers, entirely unwilling to receive a charge, fled away. In the process they crashed through the chariot behind them, the Arrer Boyz and the Goblin Spear chukka, surprisingly killing only one orc and one crew-goblin. (Note: Exception to last comment: Chariots still need to get the charge in for the impact hits. My guess was that I would hurt myself, points-wise, less by fleeing than by receiving the charge.)

Thus the Swordmasters failed their charge and so they now found themselves facing a charge by the chariot behind the one they had just chased away! At least Their flank was being guarded by the remaining white archers, who moved right up to the Orc Boyz but did not engage them.

It was all the Dragon Princes could do to turn around and move a little towards the main battle once more …

… while on the other side of the field the White Lion’s champion and Captain Tirnifar moved to put themselves in the fighting rank against the goblins. Of course their fighting skills completely outshone the goblins, and two goblins were killed easily. Yet so many goblins are not so easily scared off, and the mass pushing from behind, ignorant of what was happening at the front, and to be honest caring not one jot, meant that despite the deaths of their comrades it was still the goblins who had the upper hand and were applying all the pressure.

This time the Elven mages’ curses of arrow attraction did not bite, but Vaul’s Unmaking did destroy the magical power of Nogg’s Banner of Butchery (held by the Big Uns). When the missiles were released, the Orc Boyz learned why the elven archers had held off from charging them - for all three bolt throwers threw a torrent of quarrels into them, while the archers right before them loosed close range arrows into their midst. Altogether ten Orc Boyz fell to this attack, but the lads had not marched all this way to flee in fright from the sight of blood and simply readied themselves for an act of vengeance.

Gabdugg and his Big Uns were also busy with their choppas, but they were shocked to discover that the elves were not only faster than the orcs could ever have imagined, they were also protected by cunning magics. Despite the brutal blows rained down upon the elves, not one fell. (Note: That 4+ward save, combined with ASF, is amazing!) With no such magical protection, two Orcs fell, and the two best units on either side found themselves deadlocked in a bloody fight. Orc blood that is!

Once again the greenskins’ naturally uncontrollable urges took a hold of the Orc Boyz and sent them charging furiously into both the Swordmasters and the elven Archers ahead of them. The Boar Chariot seemed caught up in the same angry mood and smashed into the Swordmasters too.

The Chariot’s impact was terrible to behold, for seven Swordmasters fell to the scythed wheels and trampling hooves of the Boars! (Note: 7 impact hits and 7 unsaved wounds, woop de doo!) The entire front rank of Elven warriors had been wiped out. Another Elf was gored by the boars’ sharp tusks, while off to the side three elven archers fell to the ground lifeless. Only two Orc warriors died in this fight. This all proved too much for the Swordmasters, who had never expected so many of their life-long friends to fall in so short a space of time. Thus it was they fled away to be mown down horribly by the Chariot which bounced over their broken bodies and smashed into the green archers behind.

This left the Boyz facing the last surviving white Archers, who refused to flee as had their brethren. Although reduced to half strength, the brute Orcs knew full well that their enemy had not a chance and each bore an evil, sharp-toothed grin upon his ugly face!

The Giant made his way around the White Wolves, choosing to ignore the White Lions battling with the goblins. Perhaps he thought the ‘little fellers’ should have their fun? (Note: In reality I wondered whether sending the giant in would actually swing things in the Elves’ favour!)

Upon the far side of the field, the three surviving Boar Riders simply shifted their position as they considered what they might be able to do, and by their side the Arrer Boyz formed themselves up into a fighting formation - they were concerned that they might be charged by the Dragon Princes and thought to adopt a posture that might serve them well in defence.

Plugroo and Mad Budger now got on with the business of magic and although their first three spells were thwarted by the Elves’ own magic users, the Foot of Gork made it through. One big stomp later and two Dragon Princes were dead. Mad Budger started giggling manically, and the Arrer Boyz around him were hard pressed not to kick him or wring his neck. And they might have done, were it not for the fact that they knew why he was giggling, and thought maybe he might turn such vicious magic against them if they annoyed him.

Mad Budger would have laughed some more had he seen what happened over on the far right of the field. Although the noble Captain Tirnifar and the White Lions’ champion killed four goblins between them, the sheer weight of goblin numbers (Note: ranks, outnumber, flank and standard) meant the diminutive greenskins still pushed hard at the elves, and something snapped as a consequence - the elves’ very resolve. Their courage sapped away from as they realised that the goblins were proving strangely hard to beat, and might yet swamp them with brute force. So it was that the White Lions fled away (Note: Failing their stubborn Ld) and, fatally, ran into the giant behind. Before long, they were all dead or dying; and if the latter, then crawling in shame from the field, their tears mixing with their blood.

Gabdugg and his Big Uns fought on, the orcen Boss managing to slay the Phoenix Guard champion, while Gabdugg somehow got though the elven magical shield and laid low three more elves. But 3 orcs had died too, and as the corpses began to pile, the Elves had to steal themselves to fight on. And they did!

Now came the battered Dragon Princes’ first chance to strike at the foe - they charged the Boar chariot before them in the hope of saving the poor green Archers it had crashed into …

… but they arrived just a moment too late to save their comrades. Four archers were crushed to death by the chariot’s impact. Saddened, but no less willing to fight, the Dragon Princes damaged the chariot as best they could, then chased it off until they caused it to flip over and break to pieces. They left the stunned handful of surviving green archers behind them.

Although precious elven blood was being spilled, the Mages still conjured what harm they could upon the foe. The Fury of Khaine (successfully cast first as a spell, and then again from the Ring of Fury) was dissipated by the thick hides and armour of the Boar Riders (Note: 8 wounds altogether, all saved on 4+) All their other incantations fizzled, spluttered and failed to enter the real world. But the Orc Boar Riders troubles were not yet over, for just as they wondered what strange magic had rained upon them a bolt skewered one of them. The remaining pair were so shocked they forgot to run away this time, but simply looked at the strangely compelling sight of (dead) orc and (enraged and severely wounded) boar made into one by the bolt joining them.

Gabdugg and his lads did their best yet again, slaying three Phoenix Guard to the loss of but two of their own number. Yet the Elves would not yield and fought on, seeming somehow more vital, and ever faster with their halberds as the fight went on.

How could Gabdugg defeat such a foe?

Turns 5 and 6 to follow.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:19:33 AM by Padre »

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 08:59:46 AM »
Wow, that chariot did really well breaking the swordmasters. Looks tough for the HE's tight now, with the white lions also destroyed. But perhaps the dragon princes and shooting/magic can bring them back in the game a bit?
cisse

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »
I wonder why the bolt throwers and the mages didn´t try to get rid of the single boar  chariot.

Well other than that swordmasters are best deployed 7*1 or 7*2 other than that they are waaaaaaaay to expensive. I would have fled the white lions from the goblins. but well the orcs are doing great and I think they will win the day.

I check the panic issue at home but I am quite sure only one test per phase and only at the end of the phase.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 10:33:19 AM »
Hey Fandir - my opponent (no doubt unwittingly) has indeed tricked me into believing his version of the rules. He even pointed to specific words. I have now re-checked the BRB and it turns out you are right (and I was, but I didn't stand my ground on my opinion!). My humble apology for saying you were wrong.  I was wrong to say you were wrong, but only because my opponent was wrong to say I was wrong. If you see what I mean. I am so used to having old rules clunking around in my brain box that I took his word for it. Still, the rule as he applied it favoured him and not me, so I don't feel so bad.

It does say the tests are 'often' taken immediately, but then specifies in the 25% section it is the end of the round. It is only random factors (miscasts etc) and sufficient countercharge casualties that apply require tests - that's the bit of text (p.49, top of col 2) that my opponent pointed out to me "these panic tests are taken immediately'. I should have realised that by saying 'these panic tests' it meant as opposed to some other form of panic tests.

Gee, this game gets complicated. BTW, 'J' is scrupulously fair (I know this) and has no doubt been led astray either by some other rules-quoting villain or the vile and insidious evil of skim reading.

On a more general note, be aware that I sometimes (for readability reasons) describe combats immediately after mentioning a charge, before shooting and magic. This is purely to improve the story aspect, but in no way bends what actually happened.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »
No offense taken, and your battle reports are a blast!!!

I just like to point out when I see some rules misinterpreted or if I am wrong in such a case learn how to apply the rule properly.

As they cheated (unwillingly) I am even more for the orcs....still the HE player played quite a nice list and seems to be uncomfortable with the new HE list.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 12:40:47 PM »
been led astray either by some other rules-quoting villain or the vile and insidious evil of skim reading.

Brilliant line.  :icon_lol:

A cracking writeup BTW Padre and I am rooting for the Orcsies now.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Generalisimo

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 06:10:59 PM »
100% WAAAGH!!  Da boyz will find their way!  :icon_mrgreen:
Love your reports, just brilliant.  :happy:

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 12:54:13 PM »
I don't know who I'm rooting for, I just think it's a very nice battle. Orcs look like they'll take the cake, but the HE's can still make a comeback I think.

Looking forward to the final part!
cisse

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 01:38:59 PM »
I absolutely love the painting style.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 05:15:02 PM »
Thanks again for your kind words. Thank you, thank you. (He takes a bow.)

Right, enough wallowing, time to finish this thing.

Final Instalment

Suddenly an argument broke out amongst the Arrer Boyz, fanned into a full scale brawl by Mad Budger’s maddening giggle. The confusion that ensued meant that neither the goblin nor the orc shaman could concentrate well enough to summon up magic. This greenskin tendency to squabble amongst themselves at the most inopportune moments was infectious, for the Orc Boyz immediately in front of the Dragon Princes also took to arguing instead of fighting the foe. Within moments of the disagreement arising, not one of the Orcs could even remember what it was they were arguing about, but such considerations do not concern an angry orc and the argument went on.

At least the goblins were more concerned with the task at hand, for they rushed around to face the Phoenix Guard (Animosity roll of 6)…

… and in the next moment, they were joined by the giant in charging the elven elites’ flank. The last pair of Boar Riders were even more keen to get on with some fighting and so charged the Bolt Thrower where the elven apprentice Mage stood …

… and when they hit their spears and tusks did very bloody work. The elven Mage was killed by the Boss, and one of the crewmen also fell to the other rider. The last elf fled only to be trampled to death by the pursuing Boars.

Fatefully, it turned out that the failure of the Orc Boyz to charge had in fact opened up an irresistible opportunity for the Spear Chukkas - they could aim directly at the Dragon Princes.

One bolt missed, but the other tore through two of the noble elven knights, killing them both. Now only one Dragon Prince survived, and though he was sorely grieved, he had courage enough not to flee and instead chose to die whilst trying to avenge his friends.

Just before their life was taken from the elven riders, a crazed goblin had flown overhead and smashed gleefully into the left-most Bolt Thrower, killing both crew and wounding the Archmage Lord Mhatulach. It seemed that brute, physical force was making up for the lack of magical assault (Note: Mind you, I had already forgotten last turn to add the extra casting dice for Orcs in combat. I’ll remember one day, I promise.)

In the centre of the field the real fight was being fought …

… with the Phoenix Guard killing three goblins and two orcs before the Greenskins could even lift their weapons. The giant tried to swing his club, but the one elf he hit somehow brushed off the blow, his armour proving better than the giant’s half-arsed (or drunken?) attempt to smash him. At least Gabdugg proved a match for the elves, as he took down two of them. Yet even though they were surrounded and hard pressed, the elven warriors refused to buckle under the strain and fought bravely on. ( Orcs won by 1 pt, and elves passed their break test)

The Phoenix Guard’s bravery meant that the last Dragon Prince could join the fray - he charged right at the goblins before him.

The Archmage, now bloodied and bruised, found his first spell dissipated against the Greenskin’s magical defences, but his second, Vaul’s Unmaking, removed all the power from Gabdugg’s magical axe. The Orc War Boss was too busy, however, to notice! This success bolstered the elven Lord’s confidence, and he turned his magical ring on the Arrer Boyz, laying low five of them with the Fury of Khaine. The Boyz, getting used to such treatment in this battle, decided that if they hadn’t run already then they weren’t going to run now. So they stood their ground and stared evilly at the Archmage. At least the deaths had snapped them out of their argument.

The huge melee continued, lance and hoof against rusty blade, halberd against choppa and a giant’s whim (which this time manifested as an urge to eat one of the elves - which he did). Neither side gained the advantage, though many died, and the fight went on!

Finally the Boyz snapped out of their fit of quarrelling and turned towards the Phoenix Guard (1” animosity move gets them - just - in charge arc of the Dragon Prince) and charged in.

Surely it now all came down to that fight, especially as the Archmage was now targeted by both greenskin shamans who riddled him with magical harm and drained the lifeblood out of him? As Mhatulach breathed his last, two goblins fell to elven halberds, but in return the goblins managed to kill one of the magically protected elves! The Big Uns (with 8 attacks) killed none, but Gabdugg, even without Akkrit’s Axe to help him, hacked two more down. Finally this was enough to break the brave Phoenix Guard, and they fled (pursued by the Big Un’s and killed).

All that remained was the Dragon Prince, surrounded on all sides by a sea of green flesh, a doomed jewel afloat on a noisome mire of angry intent.

By evening the town Dallihassu was burning, and every shiny trinket, every bauble, every gold or silver work of fine art, every barrel and bottle of vintage wine, was being thrown around by giddy goblins and ‘orrible orcs.

Result: Game conceded half way through turn 6. Massacre to Orcs (only one Dragon Prince and 1 Bolt Thrower left).

Mind you, the greenskins wouldn’t have to share out the loot between too many. Here are their dead ...

Very sad, dont'ya think?

Thanks ‘J’ for a great game. It’s rare I win. I think I like Greenskins.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 07:14:43 PM »
Well played Padre! He had a very elite list compared to yours, and a far better army book. I shall have to tip my hat to your generalship.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 07:37:27 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :::cheers::: :eusa_clap:

Well done to da boyz!  I am glad I was wrong about this one and that the elves lost.  Great jorb as always!
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 12:02:49 AM »
As always, hats off to Padre! Great battle, even better read. I'm playing with some friends this weekend at my buddy's house. Right now it looks like a 6,000 point battle (3,000 Dwarfs + 3,000 Empire [me!] vs. 3,000 VC and 3,000 WoC). I can only hope to make a battle report as sweet and juicy as this one!

Huzzah!
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 06:14:46 AM »
Well played Padre! He had a very elite list compared to yours, and a far better army book. I shall have to tip my hat to your generalship.

Both lists were very nice lists but Padre was the better general and had a little luck on his side. In my view the HE army list isn´t very hard if you don´t max it out on their awesome stuff.

The swordmaster were too big the phoenix guard needed a bsb on horse with sword of might and helm of luck. he sacrificed two very expensive units to bad placement.