home

Author Topic: Middenland Army  (Read 15719 times)

Offline Erik Von Karlson

• Members
Middenland Army
« on: February 23, 2011, 04:47:25 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I am fairly new to this site, but I have been lurking around for a few weeks.  The Empire is my only Warhammer army, and I have Imperial Guard and an Isenguard force.  A few weeks ago I went into the local hobby center and purchased a brigade and general kit, these together give me about 1,000 points and I figure this is a good starting point for an army so I will post pictures of my progress here every so often.  When finished building I will have:

1 Templar Grand Master
1 General
1 Captain BSB
1 Warrior Priest
7 Knights
20 Swordsmen
20 Spearmen
20 Handgunners
5 Pistoliers
9 Greatswords
1 Great Cannon

My army in all of its (unfinished) glory.

My simply drybrushed cannon! Do you think I should paint the barrel bronze, leave it how it is or what do you think I Should do? (please note I will paint the wood)

And my converted Warrior Priest; tell me what you think before I start painting him; does he need more cloth?

My Middenland Army: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=37453.0

There is no facepalm that can fully illustrate the state of mind I am currently in...

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Middenland Army
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:20:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

your warrior priest needs some cleaning of the mold lines on his legs first  ::heretic::  other then then I think it looks good for a mounted WP.

As for your cannon, the barrel should need some more detail, bronze would be a good start.
I did mine with tin bitz and highlighted the figures with dwarf bronze.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Erik Von Karlson

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 03:28:25 AM »
My finished Warrior Priest

My Middenland Army: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=37453.0

There is no facepalm that can fully illustrate the state of mind I am currently in...

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:48:46 AM »
Good job ! It's simple but effective  :eusa_clap:
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 02:11:58 PM »
to my mind he looks to much like a knight in shiny armour rather than a warrior priets. Warrior Priests should be mean and dirty (at least to my imagination)
Otherwise: great paintjob!
and welcome to the forum!
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 04:22:37 PM »
Perhaps if you did the metal a bit darker like you did for the cannon, otherwise could do with a bit of variety in the colour.

Offline Silvero

• Members
  • Commission painter, at your service!
    • https://www.facebook.com/HeyPaintIt/
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »
Nice paintjob, but what about adding some scrolls and other warrior priest sh*t???:D

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »
I like the warrior priest. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Erik Von Karlson

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 04:51:47 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments, I knind of agree with you Captain, he does look a little too knightly, but I always field with him in my unit of knights and he would look silly if he was different; Valetus in the picture the metal does look very bright, but that is just due to the light he is under, in person the armour is much darker, and Silvero when I get some flagellants(hopefuly soon) I will add some more wp stuff to him.

Offline peraturabo

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 08:09:07 AM »
Nicely painted but you may water down your colours a bit.

Offline Erik Von Karlson

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 04:04:06 PM »
Been a while since I last posted.  Hope you enjoy the cannon, I just finished it a couple weeks ago; these were ment to be my test piecies so I didn't spend very much time on them, tried a couple different ways to paint the grey, and I think that I will just stick with the blue and red accents, and maybe only paint the white on special models that I am really going to take a lot of time on, but overall I am pleased with them.

I will base the crew when I buy more sand, but for now this is what I have.
Comments and Critisism Welcome!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:07:15 PM by Erik Von Karlson »

Offline Sandor

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Your Blues look very dark and could use some highlights,  Also you should work bit more on faces  (washes , highlights).
And i really like the canon. 

Offline Erik Von Karlson

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 12:43:38 AM »
Ok, thanks Sandor, I actually started painting some as my troops and tried to highlight them rather than drybrush; sorry for the bad pictures, they don't do the model justice and kind of wash out the highlights.

Also, a sneak peak at my next unit I'm working on.

Offline nichorn

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 08:14:17 PM »
very nice start. think when you add the flaggelent bits to your wp it'll look complete. liking the great sword cavalry can't wait to see more of them.

Offline SlimShady

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 08:24:12 PM »
  Warrior Priest looks good. 

Offline Stolzeuhu

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 09:27:50 PM »
Your Blues look very dark and could use some highlights

matter of taste, I like that dark blue, maybe it's not typical middenland blue we're used to, but these guys could end up looking like grim, hardened veterans, not some parade toy soldiers :-)

Hmm, wonder how two different shades of blue would look like on mini - like half painted in dark blue and other in slightly lighter shade, or whole darkblue with light blue accents...
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order -- luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck." - Roald Amundsen, possibly about battlegaming

Offline Erik Von Karlson

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 03:07:53 AM »
@nichorn- Yeah, after playing a few games with them originally built with lance and shield they didnt do the greatest, and I decided after reading a couple of articles on knights with great weapons, I tore them apart and rebuilt them! Basically fluffwise they are a devout group of young nobles that got together and vowed to fight the armies of darkness in the name of Sigmar.  They tag along with the rest of my army and fight alongside them, disapearing sometimes for days on end hunting down a raiding party of beastmen or whats left of a broken chaos army, always coming back with new trophies and amazing tales of audacity.  I havent quited decided on a name for the order, since it really isnt one, its just a group of angry sons of noble;, possibly The Ire Blade or something like that, any suggestions?

@SlimShady- Thanks, it really motivates me when people post back, even if it is a simple 'nice job'.

@Stolzeuhu- I too prefer the darker blue, looks more realistic, and aren't hardened veterens what Middenlanders are? Fighting every day just to survive, even going outside to collect some firewood could turn out to be a fatal task, you could be killed by a beastman or some other deranged creature, or swallowed by the trees...literally.  As for the paint, I didnt plan on making them very dark, just used the GW guide online as a starting point and went from there, but I like how it turned out, and its pretty simple.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 01:48:10 AM »
Like the color of the cannon! :icon_biggrin:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Erik Von Karlson

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 07:29:22 PM »
Well its been a while since I last posted any updates, I thought that I would be able to get a lot of work done in the summer but I turned out to be super busy; though I have been gone for i while I havent been idle, I fit in some painting time here and there but Im not really motivated to paint any state troops because it really sucks with all the bits and bobs. Alright enough rambling here's the stuff Ive done most of it is still a wip but it is what it is.

Celestial Wizard from Swap-meet

The WP Ive been determined to enter in the past 2 painting competitions but failed. Still needs shield and wolf-pelt.

Finished state troop

WIP State Troops! Plus five more not in the picture...!

Offline Gregourious

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 08:15:22 AM »
I'm all for the bronze cannons. I agree the GW knights are the way to go. Mine now rarely make combat because they get shoot and magices. But better them then the troops.

Offline Erik Von Karlson

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 04:24:32 AM »
Wizard finished!

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 09:33:21 AM »
The wizard is looking good. How does he compare next to GW troops? He seems a little bit smaller.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 03:07:14 AM »
Very nice, but he is definitely looking a bit Dwarvish.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »
People are a bit too sensitive to the 'heroic' 28/30mm figure size. In real life, people can be tall or short. The variance really is greater than what the GW range can capture. IIRC the only set that toyed with this idea was the Bertrand the Brigand set with Gui and Hugo.

Thus, I'd say this wizard is tall enough. And looks nice too.  :smile2:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.