home

Author Topic: Necrons!  (Read 9795 times)

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
Necrons!
« on: April 27, 2018, 11:40:46 AM »
So, I finally finished the Necron "Get Started!" box. While I've still got a few miniatures lying around (lychguard, spyder, lord and an annihilation barge), I thought I'd go ahead and put up some pictures of the models I've finished so far. Any feedback is more than welcome!

Group shot!

We are legion...

Skitter skitter skitter...

The boss-man! Made a teensy modelling mistake on his right foot, but I think I managed to camouflage it well enough... The marble effect on the staff failed completely though (my fault for applying a tutorial about a large, flat surface to a tiny rounded surface, I suppose).

Stalker!

Pretty happy with how the control panel turned out...

Close up of the pilot!

Like I said, I've got a few more models lying around so any comments, feedback, suggestions are more than welcome :)!
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Necrons!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 12:57:23 PM »
Nice. The bases cry for some attention, and the gleaming weapon parts could do with sharper highlights.

What's your recipe for painting the metal bodies? My guess from the pictures is lots of drybrushing, but it's hard to be sure.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 01:11:57 PM »
Thanks for the feedback :)! I was thinking about Agrax Earthshade and a drybrush of Tyrant skull for the base (I like the example in the paint app), but I was considering waiting until I had finished all the models before making a decision. And the laziness in me wanted to leave it as is, but you're right, I should just finish what I started ;).

The metal part are done with an undercoat of Leadbelcher, then Nuln oil, followed by Ironbreaker on everything but the crevaces, and finally an edge highlight of stormhost silver.

Could you tell me what you mean by the gleaming weapon parts? The light that falls on the warriors' guns, or the blade of the overlord's scythes?

Thanks again!
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 01:18:31 PM »
Really nice deamon! I like that metal effect on their armour and the crisp machine look. That’s a nice starter box for sure.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 02:27:21 PM »
Good job

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 06:29:13 PM »
Thanks guys :)!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 08:43:04 PM »
Thanks for the recipe for the metals. Wouldn't have guessed. I feel the photos might not do justice for the nuances of your painting.

Quote from: Demonslayer
Could you tell me what you mean by the gleaming weapon parts? The light that falls on the warriors' guns, or the blade of the overlord's scythes?

Sorry for unclarity. I mean the greenish gleaming hot parts of their weapons. Those smaller parts that look like plasma gun. Hope I could express myself clearer now.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 08:50:50 PM »
I think they look awesome. I like the metal bodies and the redish light around the eyes.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 11:45:04 AM »
Thank you! I did eyes the same way I did all the metal- leadbelcher undercoat, nuln oil, ironbreaker on everything but the crevaces, and then stormhost silver, being a bit more liberal with the latter (basically an additional layer rather than a highlight). Then I painted a dab of spiritstone red on the eye, and used bloodletter glaze to create the glowing effect.

@Zygmund; ok, I get what you mean now, thanks :)! When I have the time I'll try and make the highlights a bit sharper, maybe add in a bit of yellow as a very fine highlight.

For now, I worked on those bases (Astrogranite debris->Agrax Earthshade->Tyrant Skull drybrush), let me know what you think!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 02:10:01 PM »
Bases could do with a few more details, but other than this is great. The paintjob is spot on, the details are crisp and overall, this army looks great! :happy:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 12:36:35 AM »
Thank you! Any idea for what I could add to the bases? I have some grass tufts, but I'm not sure they'd make a good fit.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 12:42:41 PM »
Thank you! Any idea for what I could add to the bases? I have some grass tufts, but I'm not sure they'd make a good fit.

I'd honestly go with black and grey stones, mixed with some Space Marine bits. I think that this would work really well and have a great effect.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 07:09:49 PM »
I'll try and look for some stones, then :)!

Meanwhile I've finished working on my Spyder;

Work in progress. He's so friggin' adorable!

Finished! Shot from the side- should've gone for a bit higher angle since the details on the back are sort of not in picture now, but oh well.

Picture from a low angle, to better show off the Gloom Prison and Fabricator Array.

Close up! Note I fixed the damage in the central eye, which is still visible in the other pictures.

Right now I'm working on Lychguard, but I'm sort of considering my options for the color scheme. I'm thinking about painting the torso either gold, black or even red, and the pauldrons gold or blue. Or something else entirely. I dunno, I'll think of something :P.

Anyway, let me know what you think, feedback is welcome!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 12:49:28 PM »
That spyder is freaky. We'll need more meltaguns for that! ::heretic::

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 11:57:17 PM »
That is indeed awesome. I like the colors for it as is. I might use a bit of gold around some of the runes just to draw attention to it, but otherwise I think it's great.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 08:39:58 AM »
You mean the runes on the stalker? That's what they did on the "official" color scheme, which does look good. Unfortunately I'm slightly colourblind so I mistook it for green  :icon_redface:! Still turned out nice, I think. If you're talking about the runes on the warriors' chests, though- they're lowly warriors, they don't get any gold :P. The overlord has a golden rune though, as do the lychguard I'm working on right now (3 down, one in the works, one still in the sprue).

Also, you don't need meltaguns, the spyder just wants to give you a hug!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 01:40:57 PM »
Who doesn't like spyder hugs?

I was indeed talking about the stalker! Fully agreed that the lowly plebs don't get the bling.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 02:07:04 PM »
I like this army you're doing, well done! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

And good to see ya around these parts, too. :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 09:20:34 AM »
Thank you! Always good to be back, however infrequent ;).

I'm almost done with the lychguard, by the way- think I'll put some photo's up this weekend...

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2018, 04:34:43 PM »
Lychguard is done!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 05:08:49 PM »
Freakin awesome!👆
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2018, 05:15:20 PM »
I like the choice of white on their skulls. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 11:25:35 PM »
I like the blue. It makes a nice difference from the silver without taking away from it.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 08:38:05 AM »
Thanks for the kind words!

I'm currently working on the overlord, who is going to use the same black-and-blue color scheme as the lychguard (but more gold). Bit of a contrast with the other lord who's mainly silver and gold. I have another set of Lychguard in the Forgebane set, so I might make those silver/gold, too. I'll probably give them warscythes for variety, though.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 11:31:19 AM »
Damn, they look tough! I'd not want to go toe to toe with any of these guys! :ph34r:

Gneisenau