home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 815037 times)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #10250 on: November 04, 2016, 08:48:10 AM »
The release date is listed as "November."  Aren't we a bit close to not have had either a delay on that or a specific date?

I can't decide if I want COD Infinite War or not.  My buddy is getting it and is pressuring me, but I don't know.  I don't like the far future thing.

Grab it. It's not as bad as people think IMO. I've watched a few gameplay vids and it looks cool. Also CoD4 remastered - worth every penny.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10251 on: November 04, 2016, 11:28:14 PM »
A bunch of youtubers I watch have been playing Civ 6, got me all interested in Civ again. So I install Civ 5 up (cause its the best I got), play 4 hours of it, get really into it! Then the game crashes. No save file, no autosave, all gone. Aarrggg

Done with stellaris for the time being then? My 4x friends are transitioning at the moment too.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10252 on: November 05, 2016, 01:21:06 AM »
A bunch of youtubers I watch have been playing Civ 6, got me all interested in Civ again. So I install Civ 5 up (cause its the best I got), play 4 hours of it, get really into it! Then the game crashes. No save file, no autosave, all gone. Aarrggg

Done with stellaris for the time being then? My 4x friends are transitioning at the moment too.

Not totally done, but I burned myself out a bit playing a game nonstop. I'm still playing Stellaris multiplayer once or twice a week with some friends, our federation is slowly taking over the galaxy. I love Stellaris, but a game takes so long that by the time you finish you NEED to play something different to maintain your sanity.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10253 on: November 05, 2016, 01:35:12 PM »
True. We played last weekend for about 6 hours, and that wasn't a lot of activity. Maybe 120 game years. I get it.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #10254 on: November 05, 2016, 08:48:08 PM »
Just finished the new (final!) hitman level in Hokkaido, and it was possibly the easiest of them all. Seriously. I completed the "Silent Assassin, Suit Only" mission on my second try, and am now just having fun with killing the targets in various creative ways so I can get my mastery level to lvl20...

Still the level is quite beautiful, even if it is quite small...
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #10255 on: November 10, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »
Tyranny is out soon. I'm waiting  on reviews but I'm close to positive I'm going to end up buying it.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #10256 on: November 11, 2016, 10:24:07 AM »
Installing Dishonored 2 now.  My PC only just meets the minimum hardware specs, so we'll see how well the game runs...

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #10257 on: November 14, 2016, 03:13:10 PM »
Installing Dishonored 2 now.  My PC only just meets the minimum hardware specs, so we'll see how well the game runs...

Loved the first part. One of my all time favorites. :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10258 on: November 14, 2016, 04:28:20 PM »
Tyranny is out soon. I'm waiting  on reviews but I'm close to positive I'm going to end up buying it.

One of my mates is loving it
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10259 on: November 15, 2016, 12:27:29 AM »
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 12:30:31 AM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #10260 on: November 15, 2016, 04:21:37 PM »
I got COD Infinite Warfare.  I like it much more than Black Ops 3 so far.

I have now pulled myself up to an average of 1.5 KD.  Here was the start I had Monday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuyuyUB0BHo
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10261 on: November 15, 2016, 04:23:50 PM »

yeh but did you get a double kill with one fusion rifle shot?

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #10262 on: November 15, 2016, 05:26:15 PM »
I had an attack ship flying around shooting guys.  Because I killed a guy right after it shot a guy, I got credit for a double kill.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #10263 on: November 17, 2016, 09:27:17 AM »
Been playing a lot of Stellaris since its 1.3 update. Right know I'm in a game where I'm in a bit of a consolidation phase. Mainly strengthening myself from within by terraforming planets (only Tomb Worlds are a no go at this moment) and subsequently colonizing them and building them up to full population and production.

As I've got a good influence income plus all kinds of discounts to resettling my pops I can quickly populate planets by just taking one pop from each fully developed planet and moving them towards their new home. This is usually a step by step process as I need to make sure enough food is produced to feed all the pops. Still, it is a very fast way of increasing my power.

And powerful I am. I'm only utilizing 400 of my 700 fleet capacity atm (oh those crazy begin times, when you only had 10) and still there's only 1 other empire in the game considered my equel (though only in tech and fleet capacity, his actual fleet is deemed weaker). That's also because I excluded Fallen Empires from this game, I wanted an equal playing field vs the AI this time.

That's not to say the road to this has been easy. This is actually the fifth (!!) play I've attempted with this particular race and I'm finally at a point where I'm comfortable that I won't be ganked any time soon.
Seems like most other civilizations don't like an Empire that enslaves aliens (only aliens though) and purges aliens. Especially some active purging can quickly sink other empires their opinion of you. Found that out the hard way during those earlier 4 playthroughs where each ended with me being overrun by multiple enemies.

It was a bit of a surprise as up to this I had only played civs that were xenophile or neutral in stance to other races. Still, with every failure I learned and this brought me to where I am now.

Lessons learned:

1) Suck up to alien races that do not absolute loathe you from the start. Turn that dislike in a like by bribing them with gifts. A simple 1 mineral/month for 30 years deal can work wonders.
2) Your agenda may be to exterminate all other sentient life in the galaxy but keeping a false front is a necessity at start. Use those good relations to go for defensive pacts and then even a Federation.
3) The Federation is your shield and your first means of conquest. Use the combined power to target weaker neighbours. Don't start purging yet, keep it at enslavement without right of procreation, otherwise your Federation buddies will likely kick you from the team.
4) Only when its use has gotten to an end should you step out of the Federation. Start a little bit of purging against the more problematic/useless slaves.
5) Get powerful enough to purge as you see fit, everybody hates you anyway by now (this is where I'm at, there's only a single xenophobic race on the other side of the galaxy that only mildly dislikes me, the other would like to see me dead).
6) Don't fuck up and actually manage to win

Step 6 can still be a challenge. There's still an end game crisis to come and while individually my opponents are weaker they are a force to be reckoned with when combined. Most of them are also part of powerful federations. If they hit me hard enough others will start jumping in which may result in me basically being stun-locked into endless wars versus different alliances (so never a chance to recuperate during the mandatory 10 year truce after a war). That's what eventually happened in game 4 when I thought I was established enough when I covered about 1/5th of the galaxy. Wasn't even an end game crisis in play back then either, just regular AI that murdered me. What did I ever do to them??? Oh right...

One thing that has turned up during my consolidation phase is that it seems there are more random events triggered while I'm colonizing planets, or maybe it's just my rapid colonization that makes it seem so. So far I've had the familiar walking trees (burned them all), some strange alien factory (for which I subsequently got a later pop-up saying that it continued to work fine, I'm still waiting for it to go haywire or maybe that was actually the good ending of the event chain), finally I got one where I could salvage an alien Cruiser buried beneath polar ice, which not only gave me the expected Cruiser but also an empire wide 10% evasion modifier for all of my ships.  :icon_eek: :icon_biggrin:

Playing as a Collectivist, Militarist, Spiritualist empire bend on purging the galaxy is a wonderful challenge, I can recommend it to everyone.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10264 on: November 17, 2016, 12:18:14 PM »
Nice debrief BAWTRM!

I haven't gone down the slaver path yet - and it just doesn't suit how I play most games, so its difficult to say if / when I will play it that way.

But yeah, I figured a lot of the early game has to be sucking up. Good advice about simple trade deal though. 1 mineral is nothing!

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #10265 on: November 17, 2016, 01:47:19 PM »
Like I said, I usually play far 'nicer' races. I actually went into playing this race thinking it would be easy just being the neighbourhood bully. That was game 1, looks like people will collectively curb stomp the bully if they get fed up.

Sucking up is very important in the beginning, though I only truly learned this lesson in game 3. I had done a little sucking up (learned that from games 1&2) and ended up in a defensive pact. Noticed the cost in influence (for which I was strapped at that moment) and bailed ship. Stupid me, defensive pacts are the stepping stone to federations and my amiable neighbours joined other federations. Federations that included near neighbours that didn't like me at all.....

Got the whole simple trade deal idea from a YouTube video, it's rather effective and doesn't need a lot of micromanagement. Speaking of which, I'd like it if there was an option to mirror aliens their opening/closing their borders towards you. They're quite fond of closing those borders (How dare you have won a war I had absolutely no stake in, and which was started by the other side, you must be a warmonger!) and you need to close them for each one individually. And once negative modifiers decrease over time they'll reopen those borders so you need to do it again.
Make it the standard to open/close borders when the other party does so. And just give a diplomatic suck up option of opening your own border unilaterally.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #10266 on: November 18, 2016, 01:40:02 AM »
I started to record Dishonored 2, but it quickly became apparent that my style of play in this series does not make for very entertaining viewing.  I like to be very slow and methodical, sneaking where possible and avoiding killing where practical, looting as much as I can find, and it took me about three quarters of an hour just to get out of the first area.  Sooo... yeah, I won't be uploading any Dishonored vids.

Apparently a lot of people are having performance issues on PC.  I haven't come across any yet.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #10267 on: November 24, 2016, 08:43:54 AM »
Steam sale brought me Shadowrun: Hong Kong for €5,-. It's time for some good old cyberpunk action again!

PhillyT

Offline CarolineWellwater

• Members
« Reply #10268 on: November 27, 2016, 01:01:51 AM »
(( BAWTRM,

I've been seriously looking at Baldur's Gate, since it's on sale.

Anyone have any thoughts on that old Western-cRPG? ))

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #10269 on: November 27, 2016, 02:33:59 AM »
Buy it. It's a classic. :-)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10270 on: November 27, 2016, 02:54:36 AM »
Steam sale brought me Shadowrun: Hong Kong for €5,-. It's time for some good old cyberpunk action again!

Thats on my wishlist too.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #10271 on: November 27, 2016, 08:33:10 PM »
I just bought Final Liberation and Chaos Gate for ten ozbux on GoG.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #10272 on: November 27, 2016, 08:58:44 PM »
Anyone playing Heroes of the Storm still? looking for someone to play with to get that genji skin.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #10273 on: November 27, 2016, 08:58:49 PM »
Foundation update for No Man's Sky released today. I'll play it tonight and we'll see how it is.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10274 on: November 27, 2016, 10:43:13 PM »
Any thoughts on heroes 7. I was tempted to buy, but reviews are more poor than good.