home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 813311 times)

Offline Sig

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #9500 on: April 13, 2016, 01:56:47 PM »
I just played with the standard sensitivity on the PS3. If you're playing it with mouse and keyboard, you're doing it wrong.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #9501 on: April 13, 2016, 03:15:11 PM »
I played it on the Xbox, so technically, you are doing it wrong.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #9502 on: April 13, 2016, 10:12:10 PM »
The Missus and I have started playing Aviary Attorney

So you are going to become an expert in bird law eh

Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #9503 on: April 14, 2016, 10:20:52 AM »
Good to see the Eldar in Battlefleet Gothic are just as cheesy on PC as they were on TT  :icon_neutral:

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #9504 on: April 14, 2016, 11:54:44 AM »
DSIII is still great!  I almost killed Vordt a few times but I wasn't totally into it this morning.  I'll try again tonight!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9505 on: April 15, 2016, 04:41:50 PM »
Started playing Dark Souls 2. Really liking it but I'm a bit unsure about the Hollowing mechanic. My max. life gets restricted on each death to a maximum of 50%, and I know I can use Human Effigees to return back to 0 (human), but the effigees are apparently limited.

So what did you DS2 vets do? Return to Human at 50%, only before a big boss, any time you felt like it?  :unsure:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9506 on: April 15, 2016, 05:21:03 PM »
You should be able to get enough effigies to be human when necessary.  I generally only used one when I had to fight bosses or when it got REALLY low, like at 50%.  If I could push it, I would though.

The game isn't too bad once you get your feet under so, so it will be easier down the road.  You will die less and less.

I ran a strength/Tank build, so I had a massive health bar.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #9507 on: April 15, 2016, 09:35:13 PM »
@BAWTRM original or SotFS?  Not that it matters much, you should be able to find Ring of Binding fairly early in both versions (although I'm currently drawing a mental blank as to where it is located in SotFS).  Wearing that will mean your HP only drops to 75% when fully hollow.  In either case, as PhillyT said once you get the hang of it you'll die less anyway.  My first attempt at the game I kept getting shat all over - my first attempt at SotFS I only died maybe twenty or so times.

DSIII: I just killed Vordt yesterday.  April 12th was a terrible relase date, because my annual leave ended on the 10th and now I have to interrupt my gaming time with stupid job  :icon_mad:

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9508 on: April 16, 2016, 06:07:32 PM »
Original. And that sounds like a nice ring to have. Only have a single ring slot filled atm.

I'm not far at all, Forest of Giants still, but I'm loving everything so far. I have no problem with going back and killing the same dudes again to make sure I've thoroughly explored everything (afaik). Good practice and nothing wrong with some more souls. Really glad I started with a Cleric btw, those Heals are great! I expected the Estus flask to be like the one in DS (seen on youtube, this is actually my first Souls game), but this one is very measly.

Going more for a Knight build though, nice armor, sword + shield. Works ok for now.

And I know I'm basically reiterating what anyone (with a little backbone) who has ever played a Souls game says but I'm loving the brutal but fair combat. I can still be murdered by the lowest of mooks just by taking things for granted and not paying enough attention, but I also feel capable to take on the harder foes I'm facing.  :icon_biggrin:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #9509 on: April 16, 2016, 08:39:42 PM »
Okay, so non-spoiler hints: First, the Ring is in Heide's Tower of Flame, which will probably be the area you go to after the Forest.  Cleric has a mace, doesn't it?  If so you should have no problems in the Tower.
Second, to get more Estus you need to find Estus Shards.  In the original version you can find 12 throughout the course of the game, but you can only use eleven of them.  Give them to the Herald to get one extra quaff from the flask.  You should be able to find one in Majula and I think there's one in the Forest somewhere as well.  You can also increase the amount each quaff heals with Sublime Bone Dust.  If memory serves, the first one of those you find will also be in Heide's Tower.
Third, get your agility to at least 90 and preferably about 100.  Put points into ADP (and ATT, for a lesser effect) to increase agility.  Even if you don't plan on dodge-rolling, agility also increases the speed at which you chug estus and use other items.  It can potentially save your life.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9510 on: April 18, 2016, 01:34:57 AM »
The Undead Settlement was terrific!  Loved all the little areas and the variety.  So many things to find and do!

I'm on the Road of Sacrifice now having fully completed the Settlement.

I killed the boss in the Settlement but didn't come away with his soul apparently?  I can't craft his items at least...

And I'm not sure I had more than an 18 in agility!  I had a strength of 60 or so though.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #9511 on: April 18, 2016, 01:42:16 AM »
In DS2 there's almost no point going over 50 in a stat and very little benefit in going over 40, because of diminishing returns.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9512 on: April 18, 2016, 12:38:11 PM »
Soft caps in Dark Souls 3 are pretty low too.  I'm going 20 vigor strength 40 right off, then endurance and vitality to 20.  Probably load strength after that.  I know soft vigor cap is 20 but not sure for endurance and vitality.

Road of Sacrifice is a great place to farm souls.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #9513 on: April 18, 2016, 12:54:07 PM »
I always get the minimum stats to use my favoured weapon then pump vitality. Vitality is the best stat by far! Damage stats are mostly bad until you have your weapons upgraded a fair way.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9514 on: April 18, 2016, 01:24:15 PM »
For the speed rolling?  I would have assumed vigor for the health bar!

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #9515 on: April 18, 2016, 03:40:00 PM »
I'm pretty much loving Dark Souls III. I'm up to the area after Irrithyleum (or whatever it's called), which for spoiler reasons I won't write here.

The bosses have mostly been really interesting. And I've died. A lot. Level design within each area is great, but the overall game architecture is pretty linear. I don't like the NPCs that much.

There is an interesting balance between "fan-service" (almost fan-pandering) throwbacks, and really constructive world-building that draws in all three games. I'm also at this point ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED that Demon's Souls takes place in the same world. And there are certain insights from that game that help me make sense of how the DS3 world fits together.

Re: Demon's Souls. I played this a fair bit in my limited downtime over the last few months. I like it the more I play it. It is REALLY easy compared to even the first Dark Souls. But the game really only starts in NG+. I am LOVING rocking a hyper-mode guy. Morion Blade, Rat's Ring, Northern Regalia, fully upgraded bow. But basically anything can one-shot me in NG++. The game takes on much more of a puzzler quality. There are some things in DeS that are a bit too arcane, perhaps (like equipment upgrade paths), but they just take a bit more familiarity before they make sense.
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9516 on: April 18, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »
Killed the giant in the Forest, only died once against him, tried to roll through his sweeps but I should have just tried to stay between/behind his legs.

Guess it's Heide's tower now, though I've still got to open a few doors with the Soldier's Key first. Been to the tower once but killing the first big 2 guys took all of my healing ability so I turned back. Luckily I'd gotten some of that Estus enhancing bone powder from a corpse first though.  :icon_mrgreen:

Levelled up a good bit since then so I should do better there now.

PhillyT

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9517 on: April 18, 2016, 06:37:14 PM »
WoW: Legion to come out in Aug 30th!  I still play (pick it back up lat year after a 4 year hiatus) but wanted to post it here for anyone else who did and was curious.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #9518 on: April 18, 2016, 07:31:41 PM »
For the speed rolling?  I would have assumed vigor for the health bar!

Sorry, yes. Haven't played DS3 yet, I thought the health stat was Vitality in the other games. Speed rolling stat is worthless to me.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #9519 on: April 19, 2016, 01:44:26 AM »
Agility isn't a normal stat, it's a sub-stat that is calculated from your main stats, like Attack Rating or the various Defences.  You only need to raise Adaptability to 20 or so to get a decent Agility.

There doesn't seem to be an equivalent in Dark Souls III.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #9520 on: April 19, 2016, 09:24:37 AM »
The Undead Settlement was terrific!  Loved all the little areas and the variety.  So many things to find and do!

Dat boss tho... whacked him right in the acorns...

I finished that area yesterday.  At least, I thought I did.  Then I spent another hour in there today finding new stuff that I'd missed the first time around.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9521 on: April 19, 2016, 02:06:17 PM »
Two things about bonfires:

The first one in Heide's Tower, I had constantly missed it! I died to some big dudes, had to get back from Majula. Fell of a ledge, same again. Went to fog door hoping for bonfire; boss killed me. Went up to a cathedral and through that fog door, other boss killed me.  :icon_eek:

So yeah, after I don't know how many times I suddenly spotted the way to the bonfire right next to the first big dude's location. As he aggros on you the moment you get close you don't really tend to look around at that point as you just don't want him to hurt you/bash you into the sea. Silly me.  :icon_lol:

Second thing. After killing the last giant I use his key to get to an area with another bonfire, Soldier's Rest or something? But it seems like an absolute dead end, am I missing something in that area?

PhillyT

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #9522 on: April 19, 2016, 05:57:19 PM »
No, there's just some loot and an NPC invasion. It's pretty optional - I can't even remember what the loot is. But if you're one of those people that's really bothered by being able to see a shiny that you can't get to, it's necessary for that (there's a shiny you can see through the grate in that area with the cave where you find the cartographer dude).
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9523 on: April 19, 2016, 06:08:08 PM »
Yeah I realized that was the same shiny I saw and could not get to from the 'shanty town'. I also saw a shiny at the bottom of a very deep crack that goes through the area, but I'm guessing that's just the game offering me a glimpse at a wholly different area.

PhillyT

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #9524 on: April 19, 2016, 06:12:32 PM »
Stellaris! Apparently its crusader kings in space. Which sounds amazing.

Also I quite want battlefleet gothic.
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.