home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 808005 times)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #3150 on: December 12, 2012, 07:26:41 PM »
PC Monitor isn´t as big as this....

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #3151 on: December 12, 2012, 07:37:39 PM »
PC Monitor isn´t as big as this....

Your vid card not have a bunch of different HDMI or VCGA outputs? PCs can hook up to modern big screens just as readily as consoles.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3152 on: December 12, 2012, 07:42:19 PM »
I'll have to take a closer look at home but I don't think I can just plug and play with my computer.  I think I would need to buy some extra stuff to do so, and I am skint broke.  I have $150 to last me the next two weeks, and a $125 bill that will auto pay Friday...
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #3153 on: December 12, 2012, 07:52:20 PM »
Yeah, any computer is able to plug into any tv, given the right ports. And what TV doesn't have HDMI nowadays?
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #3154 on: December 12, 2012, 08:00:41 PM »
Different styles of games favour different hardware. Consoles are better for fighting games for example, because of how the communities are structured and how multiplayer works. Also, sometimes a port from one to the other is bad and plays better on the original hardware.

I usually favour the pc but everything has its place.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3155 on: December 12, 2012, 08:25:48 PM »
The only reason to buy a console today is for console exclusive games like Halo or God of War.

That's pretty untrue.  I see your point, but consoles have huge upsides.  There's the aforementioned "plug and play"-ability.  Also, for a pretty hardcore CoD player like me, XBox is where the majority of the community lives.  Also, the XBox gets priority for CoD games.

I get what you're saying about computers, but consoles have way more upside than you give them credit for.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #3156 on: December 12, 2012, 08:46:29 PM »
Different styles of games favour different hardware. Consoles are better for fighting games for example, because of how the communities are structured and how multiplayer works. Also, sometimes a port from one to the other is bad and plays better on the original hardware.

I usually favour the pc but everything has its place.

This pretty much.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3157 on: December 12, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »
Cheaper, your friends On them, games always work.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #3158 on: December 12, 2012, 10:16:54 PM »
I haven't had serious technical problems with games on PC in years. Driver support especially has gotten a lot better. It's not really A Thing anymore.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #3159 on: December 12, 2012, 10:28:33 PM »
Games on consoles are almost always a flawless situation.

I have had some issues with PC games.  Rage comes to mind.  It was a broken mess at release. 

I prefer consoles for adventure games, fighting games (not that I play those much anymore), sports games, and racing games.  FPS, RTS, RPG, and traditional strategy games are better on PC.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3160 on: December 12, 2012, 10:40:54 PM »
I haven't had serious technical problems with games on PC in years. Driver support especially has gotten a lot better. It's not really A Thing anymore.
I cant seem to play FO3 without the game randomly crashing.  Other than that I am fine.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #3161 on: December 12, 2012, 10:52:14 PM »
Cheaper

Sometimes I wonder about this though, since for the most part the Xbox or PS3 is purchased in addition to a PC or other sort of compy that folks are using for internet surfing and the like. Also you have Xbox Live for instance in addition to your fee for internet. Also if you aren't the type of person that needs to buy every game title the day of release PC games tend to end up having better deals earlier than those for consoles, I mean for instance last year Skyrim was already a Steam special at Christmas for something like 30% off where would you find it at that price for console? While sure a PC that can game is more expensive initially of the course of its life I don't think it is any more expensive than a console.

I prefer consoles for adventure games, fighting games (not that I play those much anymore), sports games, and racing games.  FPS, RTS, RPG, and traditional strategy games are better on PC.

Pretty much, I'm just a bigger fan of PC since I tend to enjoy strategy games most and they are by far superior on PC than other formats.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3162 on: December 12, 2012, 10:58:50 PM »
I prefer PC too, but I like how stress free the PS3 is.  I can pop in the disc and just play without having to cruise forums to find a resolution to some niggling issue.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #3163 on: December 12, 2012, 11:07:54 PM »
A fair amount of the stuff I like is on ps3 only, or at least a lot earlier than PC. The Japanese don't go for PC that much and they make the best fighting games, which is my favourite genre.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3164 on: December 12, 2012, 11:10:51 PM »
I like Soul Caliber, STreet Fighter, and Tekken, but don't play much anymore.  I do like boxing and MMA games though!

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #3165 on: December 12, 2012, 11:16:03 PM »
I play King of Fighters and Blazblue. KoF was awesome in the arcades back in the day. KoF 98 is probably the finest 2d fighter ever made taking balance into account, at least in my opinion. No doubt SF 3rd strike has a higher skill cap though.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #3166 on: December 13, 2012, 12:11:57 AM »
I have had some issues with PC games.  Rage comes to mind.  It was a broken mess at release. 
Far too many ports are bugged up at release, unfortunately. Doesn't get any better with developers taking months to release patch fixes.

On the other hand; having a PC opens up a 25 year old ecosystem and an unlimited world of emulations, mods, freeware, distribution channels, expansive communities, and total freedom of choice, and that's not mentioning that you have an actual OS at your disposal. It's a pretty steep price to pay just for some modest user friendliness.

The plug and play aspect in addition to split screen co-op are some of the few advantages(again, unless you're looking for console exclusives, which there are a lot of. But that's not mentioning the tonnes of PC exclusives that exist.)
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3167 on: December 13, 2012, 01:02:10 AM »
quite a debate I started.

Looks like Yahtzee gave it a glowing review too.  And from what I can see few if any bugs in the game on launch, which is a rarity for ubisoft.

Looking like the TV does have a plug for my computer, so maybe I can.
― Jake the Dog

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3168 on: December 13, 2012, 01:12:45 AM »
quite a debate I started.

With the ban on "sensitive" topics in effect, we have to fight about something!  :::cheers::: 
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #3169 on: December 13, 2012, 01:32:21 AM »
I prefer consoles.  Just easier for me. 
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3170 on: December 13, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »
well thats 4 out of my 4 VG critics that love Far Cry 3  and this time around angry Joe played it both on the xbox and the pc and said the PC version is better.  Getting it on PC.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3171 on: December 15, 2012, 05:39:05 AM »
A game that's not on consoles:

https://www.playhawken.com/
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3172 on: December 15, 2012, 09:45:29 AM »
Cheaper

, I mean for instance last year Skyrim was already a Steam special at Christmas for something like 30% off where would you find it at that price for console?

[/quote]

I got it for 50% off last christmas on xbox.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #3173 on: December 16, 2012, 04:08:12 AM »
I mean for instance last year Skyrim was already a Steam special at Christmas for something like 30% off where would you find it at that price for console?
Steam overprice games by quite a bit. You'll usually find a physical copy at half of Steam's price in a game shop, only to go home and activate it on Steam anyway. This industry is so retarded it makes me feel good about myself.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3174 on: December 16, 2012, 12:41:27 PM »
Might be different where you are Patsy.  Here, you can't even find most games at the game shop.  The PC industry has collapsed here.  DIscounted games are easy to find if you aren't picky, but if you want a specific game, you are out of luck.