home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812241 times)

Offline S.O.F

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #3550 on: January 29, 2013, 05:31:37 AM »
Is it M&B Warband?
I liked it. it's really fun if you don't expect it to be amazing. Also mods are awesome with that game! Find a good Post Civil War one like 1866 or a Fantasy revamp like Eagle and the Radiant Cross and it's really enjoyable.

Eagle and the Radiant Cross even though half assed was way better than With Fire and Sword, even though both involved similar style factions. I think my favorite time with EatRC is playing as the fake Swedes and holding out a Fort against the faux Russians pistol in hand shooting the bastards off the scaling ladders and then hitting them in the face with a sabre after that.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #3551 on: January 29, 2013, 02:42:41 PM »
I NEARLY HAD THE DAMN GAME BEAT!!

Dammit. I beat the Rebel flagship, fair and square. And then the bastard jumps away and I have to fight him again, and suddenly he launches a million combat and beam drones and my ship is jullienned.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
 :eusa_wall:

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #3552 on: January 29, 2013, 03:22:13 PM »
Ha ha ha oh god yes.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3553 on: January 29, 2013, 06:12:31 PM »
I NEARLY HAD THE DAMN GAME BEAT!!

Dammit. I beat the Rebel flagship, fair and square. And then the bastard jumps away and I have to fight him again, and suddenly he launches a million combat and beam drones and my ship is jullienned.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
 :eusa_wall:

Yeah. Use cloak right as the drones come in.

Then prepare for his third form.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3554 on: January 29, 2013, 06:18:50 PM »
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #3555 on: January 29, 2013, 06:47:38 PM »

Having cloak would have been nice. My single defense drone certainly didn't help much...

And there is a third form?

ohshit.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3556 on: January 29, 2013, 07:25:03 PM »

Having cloak would have been nice. My single defense drone certainly didn't help much...

And there is a third form?

ohshit.

Cloak and 4 shields is basically essential. A couple burst laser 2's and a strong beam weapon are enough to kill it.

Watch the youtube link I posted to see a good strategy for beating the end boss with the kestral.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #3557 on: January 29, 2013, 07:42:53 PM »
where is the fun in that....fail upon fail I will manage it.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #3558 on: January 29, 2013, 08:05:01 PM »

Yep. Won't watch a tutorial!

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3559 on: January 29, 2013, 08:14:16 PM »

Yep. Won't watch a tutorial!

That's fine. It's not really a tutorial, but I know what you mean. Keep going! You'll get him eventually!

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #3560 on: January 29, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »
Oh god I bought this game after hearing the recommendations from this thread. I'm going to lose most of my weekend aren't I.

I've only gotten 3-4 sectors deep so far- I really want drones/teleporter but never seem to have enough scrap. On normal. Should I be familiarizing myself on easy first?
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3561 on: January 29, 2013, 08:47:19 PM »
Oh god I bought this game after hearing the recommendations from this thread. I'm going to lose most of my weekend aren't I.

I've only gotten 3-4 sectors deep so far- I really want drones/teleporter but never seem to have enough scrap. On normal. Should I be familiarizing myself on easy first?

Instead of Easy/Normal it should read: Hard/SUPER HARD.

I almost never use drones except maybe a defense drone. The teleporter isn't worth it unless you have Mantis or Rockman crew. Humans are too average in combat, and if you are trying to fight with Engi/Zoltan/Slug then you are just a silly sillly. You get more scrap from killing off the enemy crew, but it's more dangerous because the fights generally last longer and you run the risk of accidentally killing your own dudes if you are firing at the enemy ship while they're over there.

Shields and weapons are the most important things for your ship. Cloak is necessary for the final boss. Everything else is down to playstyle and preference.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #3562 on: January 29, 2013, 08:58:45 PM »
Ok, so switch to easy.

How do I get new ships?
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #3563 on: January 29, 2013, 09:00:14 PM »
Beating the game.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #3564 on: January 29, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »
Ok, so switch to easy.

How do I get new ships?

You get an Engi ship if you make it to sector 5 for the first time.

Apart from that, no idea. Just play and find out. That's what I do.
 :wink:

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #3565 on: January 29, 2013, 09:45:33 PM »
I'll have to pick it up.  I have seen it pop up a few times but never bought it.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #3566 on: January 29, 2013, 10:13:19 PM »
I decided to play some Madden online for kicks, also to see how good I really was. I was the Niners, other guy was the Giants.

I went up 21-0 in a little over a quarter. He was 4-12 for 59 yards and 3 interceptions (one 32 yard toss up bomb to start the game). He went for it on 4th every time, and every time it was 10+ yards (no conversions). Only once was he on my side of the field. I had a reasonable 4th and 3 on his 18 that I went for and he brought on his field goal team. I saw no one was covering Randy, walked in for the TD (literally threw the ball as soon as it was snapped, just a lob, and there was no one within 10 yards of Randy when he caught it). He blitzed every single defensive play with press-man on the outside and was surprised when I went to quick slants, sticks, draws, counters, and screen plays. All 3 of my TDs came off short yardage plays to counteract the blitz... except there was no one there to cover the receiver. He ragequit after the 3rd interception.

I only wish the Niners playbook had read option in it because I would have mauled him with that.

Maybe I'm halfway decent after all if he's representative of the average player. Because dear lord was he bad.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3567 on: January 29, 2013, 11:08:23 PM »
niners playbook DOES have read option dude.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3568 on: January 29, 2013, 11:15:11 PM »
I decided to play some Madden online for kicks, also to see how good I really was. I was the Niners, other guy was the Giants.

I went up 21-0 in a little over a quarter. He was 4-12 for 59 yards and 3 interceptions (one 32 yard toss up bomb to start the game). He went for it on 4th every time, and every time it was 10+ yards (no conversions). Only once was he on my side of the field. I had a reasonable 4th and 3 on his 18 that I went for and he brought on his field goal team. I saw no one was covering Randy, walked in for the TD (literally threw the ball as soon as it was snapped, just a lob, and there was no one within 10 yards of Randy when he caught it). He blitzed every single defensive play with press-man on the outside and was surprised when I went to quick slants, sticks, draws, counters, and screen plays. All 3 of my TDs came off short yardage plays to counteract the blitz... except there was no one there to cover the receiver. He ragequit after the 3rd interception.

I only wish the Niners playbook had read option in it because I would have mauled him with that.

Maybe I'm halfway decent after all if he's representative of the average player. Because dear lord was he bad.

Interesting.  I've always been too afraid to try online play because I've watched Madden tips videos on youtube where they audible for 20 seconds to create unholy monstrosities of plays that are "unbeatable."  I'm afraid my more "realistic" playstyle would just suck.  Maybe I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3569 on: January 29, 2013, 11:18:55 PM »

Interesting.  I've always been too afraid to try online play because I've watched Madden tips videos on youtube where they audible for 20 seconds to create unholy monstrosities of plays that are "unbeatable."  I'm afraid my more "realistic" playstyle would just suck.  Maybe I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

I think it depends who you play.

We should play sometime!

I'm not very good.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #3570 on: January 30, 2013, 01:02:18 AM »
Next dude was the same on D, but better on offense. Still ragequit in the 3rd, I was only up 28-21!

E: Should note that I was the Lions (he was the Giants) so giving up 21 wasn't exactly astonishing.

Dunno why the Giants seem to be so popular, they've got some pretty gaping holes (run game, secondary not named Prince, linebacker).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:17:27 AM by t12161991 »

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #3571 on: January 30, 2013, 02:21:02 PM »
FTL looks fun.  I may have to get it.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #3572 on: January 30, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »
In the Borderlands expansion 'Armoury of General Knoxx' I granted his wish for a noble death, blew up the armoury, watched the credits, and then there were new missions! That was kind of a surprise.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #3573 on: January 30, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
Borderlands 1 is awesome.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #3574 on: January 30, 2013, 04:50:39 PM »
FTL looks fun.  I may have to get it.

It is great fun.

And greatly frustrating.

Aaargh. Argh.

I NEARLY had it just now, AGAIN. And again, the fucking drone wave of the end boss got me. Took a missile in my cloaking system seconds before they launched. One moment everything is fine and then it's just explosions and warning lights everywhere.

FUCK!