home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 808207 times)

Offline Aldaris

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #4000 on: March 01, 2013, 09:54:33 AM »
I forgot Hots I will of course get that one too...and whip some toss and zerg guys through town.

Aldaris you really should switch to Toss fully.....most Zerg players are idiots and whiners. It is a bit like the Skaven aquivalent of Starcraft.

:happy:

And you CAN`t be the exception to rules in everything you game.

Incidentally, I am reconsidering my switching back to Zerg. I don't think I am a big fan of Swarmhosts. I like the Viper, and things like Mutalisk regeneration ability and faster Hydralisks are rad - but from what I have seen so far Protoss is more to my taste all things considered.

Oracles seem awesome, and the fact that Skytoss looks super strong suits me just fine. I'll have to improve my micro considerably to use Phoenix well though...

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #4001 on: March 01, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »
I would say at max half a year...gaming industry is blowing out so much stuff most "game of the year edition" releases take half a year max

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4002 on: March 01, 2013, 10:06:16 AM »
That would be good!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4003 on: March 01, 2013, 10:28:13 AM »
I’m not convinced by the skyrim DLCs. One looks totally pointless (build a house, adopt kids… why?).

The best DLCs I’ve bought are borderlands ones. Then again, the BL2 DLCs were all as long as alien colonial marines campaign, so god knows what gbx were doing!

The best preorder bonuses were for xcom (free civ 5!) and now bioshock infinite (free bioshock, and xcom).

Game I’m looking forward to: Rome 2 and bioshock infinite.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4004 on: March 01, 2013, 11:15:14 AM »
I’m not convinced by the skyrim DLCs. One looks totally pointless (build a house, adopt kids… why?).

I fancy playing the third one with Hermeus Mora and his planet of books. Not so bothered about the other two.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4005 on: March 01, 2013, 12:55:06 PM »
"New hero: Pirate and Assassins member Edward Kenway: Britain(Connor's Grandfather, Haytham's Father)"

This looks pretty awesome.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/227220/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:43:37 PM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #4006 on: March 01, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »
Indi Games save our addiction! Hurrah!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #4007 on: March 01, 2013, 02:39:26 PM »

It was worth the $5.  It is quite fun, but if you are playing on the PC there is no shortage of house mods making it less necessary.  For Xbox and PS3 players, it is nice to have.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #4008 on: March 01, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »
Got "Don't Starve" the other night. Or should I say, my friend got it and when you buy it you get a free copy to gift to someone. It is pretty freaking fun. Here is their website. http://www.dontstarvegame.com/
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

• Members
« Reply #4009 on: March 01, 2013, 05:36:12 PM »
Looks great....if your friend needs to get rid of more copies....here here here.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #4010 on: March 01, 2013, 10:14:55 PM »
So Witcher 3 has me vaguely excited for something. I have to say I am a bit displeased that it is a prequel to the previous games as I really enjoyed their plot lines and that your gear and decisions transferred from game to game. However as this prequel is going to a open world setting with a core story line I for once may be interested in finishing it should probably make up for it.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4011 on: March 01, 2013, 11:24:52 PM »
Is the Witcher 2 any good?

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #4012 on: March 01, 2013, 11:46:27 PM »

It has its moments, but for some reason it didn't really click with me 100%. Many people love it though, so don't take my opinion as gospel!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4013 on: March 01, 2013, 11:53:18 PM »
That's the thing, I hear a lot of good word but I just haven't been into buying it.

I got dawn of war 2 retribution.  I like it much more than the first dow2.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #4014 on: March 01, 2013, 11:59:18 PM »

Good storyline and looks pretty are it main features but its game play leaves much to be desired compared to Witcher One. Many things suffer from the common 'dumbed down for console' problem (or perhaps streamlined if you prefer to speak from the pro-console end). Crafting, potions, item collecting, inventory management and many of the other fiddly bits that give RPGs an extra sense of immersion are no where near as well done in two compared to one (which honestly I think was one of the best I've encountered in an RPG). Combat is more action packed but designed with a game pad in mind which is particularly annoying during boss fights that take you out of the normal game play style to set up a more timed button mash cinematic sort of setting (one I am not a fan off). The story though is enjoyable and as your actions change and shape dialog and future interactions with other factions it fun to play along see how things go use it as a sort of game/movie. It is really nice if played after Witcher One as these plot lines, equipment and other elements cross over perhaps covering up many of the flaws I feel in two with nostalgia from the first.

In general for the prices you can get it on say Steam these days during sales it is well worth the price.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #4015 on: March 02, 2013, 12:36:00 AM »
The only thing I didn't like about the witcher as opposed to say dragon age is that you can't choose who you are and what you look like and what you do (Race/Class/Options).
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4016 on: March 02, 2013, 04:44:39 AM »
Star Conflict looks like a F2P steam "freelancer" game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-lOWGFoMUU
may need to try it.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4017 on: March 02, 2013, 07:20:23 AM »
Star Conflict looks like a F2P steam "freelancer" game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-lOWGFoMUU
may need to try it.

World of Tanks in space?

I'm in.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4018 on: March 02, 2013, 08:31:17 PM »
why is my supreme commander on steam not working?

error
0xc0000005

Pass the machete.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #4019 on: March 02, 2013, 09:35:15 PM »
You got owned Finners.

Also, just played a game of Star Conflict, was top in the game on my first match, those years of Freelancer paid off.  :closed-eyes:
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #4020 on: March 02, 2013, 10:30:16 PM »

I'm getting really sick of just getting an endless stream of safe, boring, unimaginative committee-designed sequels as AAA releases these days.
Grrrrrrrrr.

It isn't only sequels which are safe, boring, unimagative and committee designed.

I watched the video you posted about preorders, and it did make me think about the industry as a whole.

There are so many practices now which are just horrid for the consumer:
day 1 dlc, preorder content, lazy sequels. dlc in general I am pretty against to be honest.

But I think these ever going wont ever happen, so totalbiscuits crusade won't be fulfilled.

I agree.  The video game industry used to be full of different titles, but it's gotten as conservative as Hollywood lately.  Every year, the same games: New cycle of EA sports games, new CoD, new AC, along with some lookalikes of the above titles. 

That said, the last year or so has had some pretty good titles.  I loved Halo 4 and Dead Space 3, and Black Ops 2 is one of the better CoDs...maybe the best since MW2.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4021 on: March 02, 2013, 10:41:35 PM »

I'm getting really sick of just getting an endless stream of safe, boring, unimaginative committee-designed sequels as AAA releases these days.
Grrrrrrrrr.

It isn't only sequels which are safe, boring, unimagative and committee designed.

I watched the video you posted about preorders, and it did make me think about the industry as a whole.

There are so many practices now which are just horrid for the consumer:
day 1 dlc, preorder content, lazy sequels. dlc in general I am pretty against to be honest.

But I think these ever going wont ever happen, so totalbiscuits crusade won't be fulfilled.

I agree.  The video game industry used to be full of different titles, but it's gotten as conservative as Hollywood lately.  Every year, the same games: New cycle of EA sports games, new CoD, new AC, along with some lookalikes of the above titles. 

That said, the last year or so has had some pretty good titles.  I loved Halo 4 and Dead Space 3, and Black Ops 2 is one of the better CoDs...maybe the best since MW2.

Everything else I've read about deadspace 3 = "they fucked it up"

did you play 1 or 2?

Pass the machete.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #4022 on: March 02, 2013, 10:52:08 PM »
Everything else I've read about deadspace 3 = "they fucked it up"

did you play 1 or 2?

Yes, I played both 1 and 2.  They definately made a lot of changes, which is probably what pissed off their core audience.  It feels very different than the first two.  At first I didn't like that it felt different, but once I adapted to the changes, I liked it better than the first two.  They also included a "classic mode" so you can play it more in the spirit of the first two, if you like.

What I liked about it was that the story was great, after my feeling that the story in two didn't really do much...we'll throw Isaac on some space station, throw in a new necromorph infection, and boom, story done.  Without spoiling anything, 3 widens the scope of the necromorph plague and answers all the questions that needed answered in a third game.  3 is also more visually interesting, with environments other than "inside of a crippled spaceship/spacestation" to explore and fight in.  I also dug the archeology aspect of the plot, being a history major and all.

I'm not sure what's not to like, other than the changes to the weapon system.  It was annoying not to be able to do the co-op sidequests since no one I know has the game, but that's no big deal to me.  What did people complain about?
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4023 on: March 02, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »
been turned into cod in space, removed all the survival horror elements.

I didnt play it, so just hear say

Pass the machete.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #4024 on: March 02, 2013, 11:11:32 PM »
been turned into cod in space, removed all the survival horror elements.

I didnt play it, so just hear say

I felt there was a bit less survivial horror to it, and it did feel a bit more heroic.  But there was plenty of wandering around old ruins and derelict ships, scrounging for supplies, and fixing equipment.  That, coupled with human enemies sometimes and the revamped weapon system that is alot more guns and less tools, could lead people to be upset.  Like I said, it felt different than the first two, but I liked it.  I'm replaying one right now, which made the changes even more noticeable.

And man, Dead Space on "hard" is freakin' hard!