home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812241 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #5050 on: June 23, 2013, 10:14:17 AM »
Quick time events are not gaming. They suck.

Why are there no Skyrim clones? I could buy fifty million different but identical shooting games, but there are no other open world fantasy RPGs.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #5051 on: June 23, 2013, 10:28:17 AM »
Why are there no Skyrim clones? I could buy fifty million different but identical shooting games, but there are no other open world fantasy RPGs.
Mount and Blade!
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5052 on: June 23, 2013, 10:54:21 AM »
Mount and Blade!

I've just looked that up, and it sounds interesting! Thanks.

Hmmm...

Reviewers praised the game for its innovative combat mechanics, complex character skill system, and large modding community, but also criticized it for its repetitive quests, dialogues, and locations, as well as low graphics quality.

Uh oh.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:22:51 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5053 on: June 23, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »
That reminds me: I still haven't played Oblivion. I'm scared of the dodgy leveling system. Does anyone know a good mod for fixing it?

Also, every time I look at games on steam, they cost more than they do on amazon.  :icon_confused:
If I wanted to.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #5054 on: June 23, 2013, 12:53:30 PM »
The physical ones you get from amazon are usually just Steam product keys on discs anyway. It's all very retarded.

Reviewers praised the game for its innovative combat mechanics, complex character skill system, and large modding community, but also criticized it for its repetitive quests, dialogues, and locations, as well as low graphics quality.

Uh oh.
It looks like shite. Dialogue and locations isn't exactly at the centre either. Imagine a low budget, old-school RPG combined with Medieval 2 TW, once you get past the pixel shock it can be fun.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:57:50 PM by patsy02 »
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #5055 on: June 23, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Quick time events are not gaming. They suck.

Two worlds
Witcher
....and many many more...

I might give you the full list later on.

That reminds me: I still haven't played Oblivion. I'm scared of the dodgy leveling system. Does anyone know a good mod for fixing it?
Also, every time I look at games on steam, they cost more than they do on amazon.  :icon_confused:

Don't forget to get the GOTY edition with 2 expansions.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #5056 on: June 23, 2013, 10:08:42 PM »
How is nobody talking about The Last of Us?!?!?  Easily the best game of the last 2 years and nobody on here is even vaguely commenting?!?

I can't help but feel like I've played this game before.  As in, the four Uncharted games.

Good game, but I don't believe it deserves the rave reviews it has been getting.  It's not that good.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #5057 on: June 23, 2013, 10:20:45 PM »
I can't help but feel like I've played this game before.  As in, the four Uncharted games.

Good game, but I don't believe it deserves the rave reviews it has been getting.  It's not that good.

I think it is getting the reviews in large part because of it's plot, which for it's genre I think is better than the Uncharteds as pseudo Indian Jones.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #5058 on: June 23, 2013, 10:32:45 PM »
I loved the plot.  I also liked the variety, graphics, and approaches the game allowed.

Also, there have only been 3 Uncharted!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #5059 on: June 24, 2013, 05:09:54 AM »
There's a fourth Uncharted on the Vita.

Sure, I'd give Last of Us a ten out of ten for style, but I'm finding the gameplay to be quite repetitive.  Move over here, fight or avoid bad guys, move over there, fight or avoid bad guys, loot side room for supplies, continue fighting or avoiding bad guys.  Honestly it's only the story that's keeping me playing right now.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:14:07 AM by Brad »

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #5060 on: June 24, 2013, 07:26:27 AM »

I'd give Last of Us a ten out of ten for style, but I'm finding the gameplay to be quite repetitive.  Move over here, fight or avoid bad guys, move over there, fight or avoid bad guys, loot side room for supplies, continue fighting or avoiding bad guys.

So you mean to say that the gameplay is far more diverse than that of any shooter?  :icon_twisted:

And in other news: Finished AC:Revelations, got a few minor trophies to hunt down but I'll get back to those later. I'll have to agree about comments on it being too easy. None of the missions ever took more than a single try, often with optional objective completed as well. Maybe there was a mission that I had to try 3 times or something, can't recall.
I had more trouble with taking over the Templar territories in cases of cowardly commanders.

Still, I liked the story, I liked the setting and it was some good fun and worth the money I spend on it. If I had bought it at full retail when it came out I would have been disappointed though.

Right now, Infamous 2 is on the menu. Zap-zap, jumpity-climb, zap-zap-zap!!

Then I've still got the Metal Gear Solid box, Saint's Row 3, Dragon Age: Origins, Red Dead Redemption and Killzone 3 lying around to start playing. Oh, and I need to get further with GTA 4.

Lastly I need to figure out what's wrong with my PS3's internet connection, my e-peen isn't correctly being measured anymore!
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #5061 on: June 24, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »

I'd give Last of Us a ten out of ten for style, but I'm finding the gameplay to be quite repetitive.  Move over here, fight or avoid bad guys, move over there, fight or avoid bad guys, loot side room for supplies, continue fighting or avoiding bad guys.

So you mean to say that the gameplay is far more diverse than that of any shooter?  :icon_twisted:

Touche.  :wink:  Actually I'm not usually much of a fan of shooters for this very reason.  Let's see, FPS games I've got... Borderlands 1&2 I like for the comic-book style and dark humour; Resistance 1, 2 & 3 plus the one on the Vita I like for the story (haven't actually managed to finish any of them, go figure...); Duke Nukem because toilet humour is just about the greatest thing in the known universe; Doom 3 I've only got for nostalgia (I'm old enough to remember when Wolfenstein first came out on PC) and haven't actually played more than about half an hour... not too many of them, and none of them bought purely for the gameplay.

I like the way your avatar fits so neatly into this thread  :-D

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5062 on: June 28, 2013, 12:02:18 PM »
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5063 on: July 01, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »
I rented ME3, and really enjoying it. Need to add more team members, hopefully a krogan.

Making me want to play through me1 and 2 again. Might buy all 3 on pc.
I never got to carry sheppard over as the console I played 1 on broke, and the console I played 2 on was given away when I got a 250gb version.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline TheElectorCount43

• Members
« Reply #5064 on: July 01, 2013, 02:33:48 PM »
The physical ones you get from amazon are usually just Steam product keys on discs anyway. It's all very retarded.

Uh oh.
It looks like shite. Dialogue and locations isn't exactly at the centre either. Imagine a low budget, old-school RPG combined with Medieval 2 TW, once you get past the pixel shock it can be fun.
I quite like the mount and blade series. The endless sieges can get a bit boring after a while when you're trying to conquer everything but the multiplayers quite fun, especially in (imo) with fire and sword.
There's also a decent napoleonic multiplayer dlc for warband if you're into that sort of thing...

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5065 on: July 01, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »
I rented ME3, and really enjoying it. Need to add more team members, hopefully a krogan.
James is your krogan in this game...until the citadel DLC.

also you can rebuild your console shepard for PC using this one website.  I could track it down again if you are interested.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5066 on: July 01, 2013, 03:12:37 PM »
I don't want to use james at all... He bores me!

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5067 on: July 01, 2013, 03:14:40 PM »

I'm offended!
If I wanted to.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5068 on: July 01, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »

I'm offended!
same, he is written very well. He really grows on you and I love his interactions with other squad mates as well as his insights/comments on missions. Not only is he your krogan but also represents things new players may say.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5069 on: July 01, 2013, 03:58:54 PM »
well, I hope I don't have to use him.

He killed himself with a frag grenade the other day.

do
not
want

And the krogans get biotic powers as well as being tanks.

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #5070 on: July 01, 2013, 04:09:25 PM »
Saints Row the Third on Steam is completely awesome!  So crazy and funny.  I highly recommend it!  It is very inexpensive.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5071 on: July 01, 2013, 06:23:01 PM »
grunt didnt have biotic, or at least not that I can remember.  He had a shield thing that increased melee and I know James has that too.

He is an acquired taste I suppose.  My first play through I rarely took him until later in the campaign.  He's actually not that bad as a character and in combat he was pretty friggen strong and soaked up a lot of damage (granted I built him for that).  I took him more in my subsequent playthroughs and he was awesome.  Gave him the heaviest shotgun I could and the most accurate assault rifle and we were all set.  I dont really use grenades with him, or anyone really.

did you get all the DLCs? and what class are you playing?  Honestly if you do the omega DLC and get the bonus power from it, you will have broken the game IMHO. :-P
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5072 on: July 01, 2013, 06:40:23 PM »
Don't really like dlc, although I read the citadel one was really good.

He's just a bit boring and generic! The only human I've ever used was jack. I dig the krogans, turians and salarians.
The salarian Dr is my fav character.

I'm a vanguard
I think I was one of the engineer/biotic last time, and I really liked the warp power. Regretting my decision for this. Wish I was engineer/biotic again

I really like the ability to use all guns but have higher cool down as opposed to not being able to use guns like in me2

Pass the machete.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5073 on: July 01, 2013, 06:54:32 PM »
if you enjoyed the series then citadel DLC is REQUIRED! it is the last send off for the series.  A real wave goodbye and a bit tearful.  Its just awesome.

Yeah if you are vanguard then James is pointless.  he cannot keep up to be useful. Long range and biotic squad mate compliment vanguards better.  Sentinel (eng/biotic) gets more use for James as you are a bit squishy, just beef up his health and shields with carnage. I am playing it on my fem shep.  When I played soldier he was pretty much just me with better shields and carnage. So I usually took (edi and garrus/liara) with me.  Not sure how far in the campaign you are so I tiny typed my squad mates.

which ME1 squad mate do you have? Honestly Kaiden>Ash.  Kaiden actually comes off as a war buddy and has a good report with Shepard.  Ash is just a paranoid bitch.  But that's just my interpretation.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5074 on: July 01, 2013, 07:32:45 PM »
I enjoy the games, but not supper into the stories or characters. Should i play it before I finish the game, if I get it?

Yep, just got EDI, and its less lame than I feared.

I've got kaiden, always killed Ashley.

Pass the machete.