home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 808008 times)

Offline Aldaris

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #8075 on: December 31, 2014, 11:52:56 AM »
Indeed. Also, most of this stuff is optional, so it's a risk-reward thing. I don't remember any encounter where you're just randomly screwed out of a crew member without some kind of choice involved.

I really like FTL. Definitely a candidate for my personal "most value I've ever gotten for a tiny investment" award.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #8076 on: December 31, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »
I can see that.

I like/hate the game!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #8077 on: December 31, 2014, 06:42:30 PM »
I've only played the FTL tutorial so far.  I keep meaning to play it properly, it's just that I keep getting distracted by other stuff I also want to play.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8078 on: December 31, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
I've loved FTL for the most part. There's some runs that are a wash no matter what you do though. I played a game recently were I didn't find a single weapon the entire game. Didn't salvage one, no store had one, nothing. Knew I was going to lose that game by about sector 4.

But I like the RNG. It makes it exciting to a degree. I've also had games that were going terrible, only to get incredibly better all in the last sector.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #8079 on: December 31, 2014, 08:57:42 PM »
it's great to play with kids around, pausable, savable, runs only take 30 minutes.

I love it!!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
    • www.facebook.com/rtedders
« Reply #8080 on: December 31, 2014, 09:25:24 PM »
What's FTL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #8081 on: January 01, 2015, 02:09:03 PM »
Check it out on steam. It's a rogue-like, meaning you get a randomly generated map each time you start it, and you can't restore a save if anything goes wrong. If you die, you die and start over. A run through doesn't take very long, something like 1-2 hours. Very enjoyable, and quite challenging. Normal difficulty is pretty hard until you figure it out, and hard is, well, hard.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #8082 on: January 04, 2015, 08:44:22 AM »
What's FTL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the best rogue likes of all time. Buy the Enhanced Edition and be prepared for a lot of fun and challenging gameplay. ;)
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #8083 on: January 04, 2015, 11:27:23 AM »
Got the Dragonfall expansion for Shadowrun returns. Really, REALLY good. Not mechanics wise, not graphics wise (although I do love the art style, it ain't exactly cutting edge), but the writing is fantastic. Great and memorable characters, a cool plot, some nice twists and a couple of really fucked up choices to make.
Overall some of the best writing I've seen in an RPG in a long time. I highly recommend it to any RPG fan who isn't a total graphics whore, and to any Shadowrun fan in particular.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8084 on: January 04, 2015, 01:58:46 PM »
Do you recommend Shadowrun or Wasteland 2?

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #8085 on: January 04, 2015, 03:55:50 PM »
I recommend both! Wasteland 2 has a better combat system I think, and better mechanics overall. It's also far larger. Shadowrun Returns - Dragonfall has the better story and better writing in general, although the writing of Wasteland isn't exactly bad either!

Both are great choices if you like classic RPGs and don't mind a bit of clunkiness, and reading a lot of text.

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
« Reply #8086 on: January 04, 2015, 05:14:36 PM »
I recommend both! Wasteland 2 has a better combat system I think, and better mechanics overall. It's also far larger. Shadowrun Returns - Dragonfall has the better story and better writing in general, although the writing of Wasteland isn't exactly bad either!

Both are great choices if you like classic RPGs and don't mind a bit of clunkiness, and reading a lot of text.
What are those games? I know about the 'pen-and-paper' version of 'Shadowrun' so I'm guessing the PC game versions are either FPS's, TPS's or RPG's?

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #8087 on: January 04, 2015, 08:09:23 PM »
RPGs. Turn based combat, isometric perspective, with a party, and mostly written dialogue. Classic format, basically.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 08:13:50 PM by Aldaris »

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #8088 on: January 05, 2015, 06:36:48 AM »
They're also both rather good, though I haven't played much of Wasteland (I just like what I've seen).
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8089 on: January 05, 2015, 12:05:04 PM »
I'll have to scoop them up.

I still haven't finished Dragon Age Inquisition.  I am enjoying it, but over break we played a pile of Advanced Warfare.  I have a real problem with the match making.  It focuses on skill based, not connection, so even wired, I am often suffering from bizarre lag.  I am also paired with some vicious players unless I am with a buddy, in which case I am given easier opponents.  It makes for tighter matches but it is also very frustrating and in no way relaxing!

GTA V on PS4 looks fantastic, as expected.  It is a little difficult to do the missions all over again though.  I did them all a year ago!

7 Days to Die is fun, but sort of more arcade-like than DayZ.  It is oppressively hard though.

DayZ is DayZ.  The new addition of hypothermia is neat.  But zombies still aren't a real threat.

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
« Reply #8090 on: January 05, 2015, 12:22:24 PM »
I'll have to scoop them up.

I still haven't finished Dragon Age Inquisition.  I am enjoying it, but over break we played a pile of Advanced Warfare.  I have a real problem with the match making.  It focuses on skill based, not connection, so even wired, I am often suffering from bizarre lag.  I am also paired with some vicious players unless I am with a buddy, in which case I am given easier opponents.  It makes for tighter matches but it is also very frustrating and in no way relaxing!

GTA V on PS4 looks fantastic, as expected.  It is a little difficult to do the missions all over again though.  I did them all a year ago!

7 Days to Die is fun, but sort of more arcade-like than DayZ.  It is oppressively hard though.

DayZ is DayZ.  The new addition of hypothermia is neat.  But zombies still aren't a real threat.
GTA V was already released?! I thought it's still upcoming....?

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8091 on: January 05, 2015, 12:56:07 PM »
Its been out for over a year, though I assume you mean for the PC, which doesn't really count. ;)

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #8092 on: January 05, 2015, 01:21:07 PM »
Console scum.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
« Reply #8093 on: January 05, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
Its been out for over a year, though I assume you mean for the PC, which doesn't really count. ;)
Ah, so the PC version is still unreleased? I THOUGHT something was wrong....

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #8094 on: January 05, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »
It focuses on skill based, not connection, so even wired, I am often suffering from bizarre lag.

Doesn't it have an option to set like a minimum ping or something? I know CS:GO does...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8095 on: January 05, 2015, 02:16:26 PM »
No, but it isn't so high as to make it completely unplayable.  It can be quite noticeable though, especially for those players who have the strong connection. In previous iterations, if it focused on connection first, you would end up having parity of connection and ping, but you could end up with a couple real godlike players who would rule through skill.  Now, you have everyone sort of equal in skill, but the players with the ping rule out.  They are playing with the variables though and it sounds like they will make it more of a mix rather than just a straight skill base (so more ping then skill like a 60/40 70/30 sort of thing).

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #8096 on: January 05, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »
FRIENDLY PLEB REMINDER:

Did you stick your dick in the honey pot of Rome 2 and exit bruised and disillusioned? CLICK FOR CURE:

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/

Available for Rome 1 and Medieval 2. You're welcome.

Console scum.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 02:57:35 PM by patsy02 »
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #8097 on: January 05, 2015, 03:57:49 PM »
FRIENDLY PLEB REMINDER:

Did you stick your dick in the honey pot of Rome 2 and exit bruised and disillusioned? CLICK FOR CURE:

Rome 2 disillusioned me so much I kind of lost interest in the TW franchise for now. Used to play one of them every 4-6 months or so pretty much since Shogun 1, but that has come to a grinding halt... that said, if the itch ever strikes me again (and I can't imagine it won't, since the genre/concept is still one of my absolute all time favorites) I'll give it a try!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8098 on: January 05, 2015, 04:15:18 PM »
Empire Total War killed me, but Rome II brought me back only to kill me once again!

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
« Reply #8099 on: January 05, 2015, 04:18:52 PM »
That's it'; I'm so downloading Europa Barborum!! I have one Q.; do I have to remove Darthmod: Rome to use EB?