home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 808038 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #9250 on: November 26, 2015, 05:42:33 PM »
I prefer NV.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #9251 on: November 26, 2015, 05:44:24 PM »
Cool, thanks. Just needed someone to tell me what to do... :)
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9252 on: November 26, 2015, 08:35:44 PM »
I grabbed NV as well while it was on sale. 2 bucks without the DLC, 7 with everything really aint to bad.

I also grabbed Dawn of War while it was on sale. It's not to bad. A fun sci fi strategy game, but I can't say I'm blown away by any of it. I'm a big star craft player and so far DoW just doesn't seem to come close to that level. Even on harder difficulties so far I've just massed Imperial guard or troops, maxed out their squads, and attack move into someone's base.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #9253 on: November 26, 2015, 08:54:07 PM »
First and second DoW are great games for anyone who wants to get into 40K, but as far as strategy games go they're pretty standard. If you want to have a challenging 40K game try out Warhammer 40,000 Armageddon. It's a turn based strategy that's really hard and rewarding at the same time. Good stuff.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #9254 on: November 28, 2015, 07:36:46 PM »
Been enjoying Conquest of Elysium 4 lately.  On the surface it seems fairly bland, but the more you play the more you realise just how much strategic depth there is.  I keep finding new units, new sites, new events, and I haven't even managed to get off the mortal plane of existence yet (well, once I found a pit to Agartha, but there was only a small cave with nothing in it and no way for me to dig to any other caves).

Also Bloodborne DLC.  The only character I have is in NG++ and the first boss of this area keeps wrecking me.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:40:32 PM by Brad »

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #9255 on: November 28, 2015, 07:49:41 PM »
I got platinum in Bloodborne but haven't downloaded the DLC yet. Not sure if I can be bothered.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #9256 on: November 29, 2015, 03:43:32 PM »
I heard the DLC is 15 hours long.

I'm replaying Dark Souls 2 again.

I think I might belong to the minority that likes it a lot more than the first one. I also thought the first one was kinda ass.

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #9257 on: November 29, 2015, 03:54:31 PM »

I think I might belong to the minority that likes it a lot more than the first one. I also thought the first one was kinda ass.

HERESY!!!

What is it about DS2 that you like in particular? And what is it about DS1 that is kinda ass?
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #9258 on: November 29, 2015, 04:14:11 PM »
I gave in on dawn of war and dawn of war 2 on sale on steam...
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #9259 on: November 29, 2015, 04:26:03 PM »
DS2 has better pvp... that's got to be about it really.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #9260 on: November 29, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »

HERESY!!!

What is it about DS2 that you like in particular? And what is it about DS1 that is kinda ass?
DS2 has a better equipment upgrade system, all covenants actually seems to serve a purpose, I like the theme of dead kingdoms and rebirth better, I like most of the outfits better than, I had more fun with magic in this one, general graphical improvements, I really loved being able to teleport between bonfires right off the bat, the entire experience is generally more consistent than DS1 and the DLC areas are amazing.

As for DS1 I just didn't care a whole lot for the gothic Asgard theme, the story/lore is not really all at interesting, the end game levels are just increadibly trite compared to the first half of the game, I could do without the humanity system and I thougt it many aspects it was a step down from Demon's Souls. Hell, I remember thinking it was a huge departure from the Demon's Souls atmosphere, characters and presentation.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9261 on: November 29, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Mario maker.

Loving making my own platformer levels. Its fun playing content made by other people too - some people make some amazing stuff. And some people make levels so full of troll its hard not to laugh a couple of times until you begin to throw the controller.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #9262 on: November 30, 2015, 12:38:05 AM »

That's about how long I've been stuck on Ludwig so far  :-o

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #9263 on: November 30, 2015, 02:06:06 AM »

DS2 has a better equipment upgrade system, all covenants actually seems to serve a purpose, I like the theme of dead kingdoms and rebirth better, I like most of the outfits better than, I had more fun with magic in this one, general graphical improvements, I really loved being able to teleport between bonfires right off the bat, the entire experience is generally more consistent than DS1 and the DLC areas are amazing.

As for DS1 I just didn't care a whole lot for the gothic Asgard theme, the story/lore is not really all at interesting, the end game levels are just increadibly trite compared to the first half of the game, I could do without the humanity system and I thougt it many aspects it was a step down from Demon's Souls. Hell, I remember thinking it was a huge departure from the Demon's Souls atmosphere, characters and presentation.

Equipment upgrade - agree, 2 is clearly better
Covenants - meh, bad in 1, bad in 2
Story is the same, same world, same everything. Just playing further along the story in 2.
Fashionsouls - preferred 1
Graphics - disgusting, 1 was clear winner. The shaded woods, windmill levels, just really poor graphically.

The only level I really didn't like in 1 was the demon area. That was horrible. The rest was way better, in my opinion, than most of 2. 2 had the pirate area, that was great, but most of it seemed really bland and boring. Shaded woods, brightstone, windmill all awful. The castle was very good, second best area. I thought the DLC for both games were very good.

I agree DS1 was a big step away from Demon's Souls, but I didn't fault it for that. DeS was great, but DS1 had some great stuff too, the interlocking world is far better than DeS or DS2 for starters, the graphics were the best of the three, the final boss was the best, combat was good (loved the kick). Downsides were worst pvp of the three, worst spells. Not many decent spells in DS1.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #9264 on: November 30, 2015, 09:48:30 AM »
Well, whenever I play DS1 I always gets bored after Anor Londo and drop the game. The interlocking world was cool, but it's not that important to me. The only thing I considers to be a problem with DS2 is the soul memory system.

I hope DS3 wont be rubbish. So far I have only seen a town environment and everything looks grey. I do like that they have gone back to mana instead of spell uses and removed the hollowing effect.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #9265 on: November 30, 2015, 10:48:26 AM »
I haven't been following DS3, hoping to keep it really fresh when I play, like I did with Bloodborne. That was very good too, though quite different from Souls games with all the dodging and whatnot.

I like that they've gone back to mana as well.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #9266 on: November 30, 2015, 08:50:11 PM »
I've begun playing Pen & Paper, a very cool Paradox game about running an RPG group. Great stuff. :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #9267 on: November 30, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »
I haven't been following DS3, hoping to keep it really fresh when I play, like I did with Bloodborne. That was very good too, though quite different from Souls games with all the dodging and whatnot.

I like that they've gone back to mana as well.

Yeah, I'm gonna avoid spoilers on this one. I do pay attention to what they are doing with mechanics, though.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9268 on: November 30, 2015, 10:45:39 PM »
So no Mario makers out there?
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #9269 on: November 30, 2015, 10:47:29 PM »
I haven't bought a Nintendo console since the DS.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9270 on: November 30, 2015, 10:51:35 PM »
Fair enough. Wii and wii u are not great, but the polish of the first party titles keeps bringing me back.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #9271 on: November 30, 2015, 11:04:49 PM »
I think I just kinda stopped buying Nintendo consoles because a lot of their first party games kinda repeats themselves. However, I might get a Wii U for Bayonetta and see how much things have changed since like 10 years ago.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9272 on: December 01, 2015, 01:04:32 AM »
Crotch shots!

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #9273 on: December 01, 2015, 06:57:09 AM »
So no Mario makers out there?

Unfortunately not, I'm a Zelda fan and though there are some Zelda inspired creations I've seen in the game I'm afraid it really hasn't sparked my interest.

If they make a Zelda dungeon maker then I'm all in though! :biggriin:(I can already envision the troll dungeons having ten levels with that jacka** boss monster that knocks you off into the bottom dungeon :-P)

Triforce heroes has been a fun side game to play. Figuring out dungeon puzzles with other clueless players is alot of fun.

Also, I've been looking through the app games and found a HoMM 3 tower defense game. :icon_lol:

On sadder news, Monster Hunter 4's having it's last DLC pack tomorrow. There's already been a hundred of them but it's a bit sad that we won't see new monsters and armors after this. Onto Monster Hunter X!
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #9274 on: December 01, 2015, 07:40:20 AM »
Come to think of it, I haven't played a Zelda game since a Link to the Past.