home

Author Topic: Random Places to Visit and See ...  (Read 34325 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Random Places to Visit and See ...
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2019, 05:35:01 PM »
Here's somewhere that looks worth a visit.
£25 for an adult ticket to the show I understand, and there are side attractions to see as well as the show.

7.5 acre stage - Yes that big!

https://www.kynren.com/

Hope this works outside the UK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp1Gbn55lVs

This is probably the best English history lesson you'll ever see. Kynren is the biggest outdoor spectacle in the UK since the 2012 Olympics. Set outdoors, below Bishop Auckland Castle, with over a thousand actors performing, this show tells the story of a thousand years of British history in an incredibly immersive way. With limited performances this summer (2017), Kynren by Eleven Arches is worth a special trip to the North East for.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 05:38:40 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2019, 10:23:44 PM »
Looks like quite the spectacle.

Midaski ... have you been to it?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2019, 08:15:36 AM »
Looks like quite the spectacle.

Midaski ... have you been to it?

No - I'm on the South Coast, and Bishop Auckland is way up North.
My sister lives fairly close, so if I am up that way on a visit, I might give it a go.

If anyone has it may well be Padre - He's a lot closer, and he is a historical buff.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2019, 05:06:00 AM »
I've been traveling for work quite a bit for the past few months, though most of it has been uninteresting. All of my time has been spent working.  :| The best place I've been so far was Kennewick, WA, which was unexpectedly a desert environment. I was expecting Twin Peaks, but got dry 100 degree days. But they were quite tolerable, and the people and restaurants were all very nice! Sadly, no time to explore. I'm hoping I go back there for a folllow-up and get a chance to see more.

I am contemplating a return trip to camp for a night or two in White Sands, which I posted about earlier in the year. It was such a beautiful place, I'd love to spend more time there and I understand the view of the galaxy at night is pretty good....

https://www.jwfrank.com/whsa/h925F628#h925f628

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2019, 06:56:09 AM »
Looks like a joy!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2019, 12:01:10 PM »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2019, 12:47:26 PM »
You like your pack horse bridges, GP? Here's me as a highwayman leading a stolen horse across a pack-horse bridge near to Marsden, West Yorkshire.

I liked the bridge so much I took my kids there for a walk over it and around the hills a couple of weeks later.

This is freakin awesome.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2019, 02:27:36 PM »
I kind of have some places I would like to visit, but they are all typically remote from where I am and the cost and time to get there is pretty steep and I can't bring myself to work on it. Part of the reason is that I don't like the 'traveling' part of traveling, unless its by car. I am a control freak and I really don't like flying since I am not the one flying if that makes sense. Nor do I like being dependent on a mechanic making sure a 10-cent washer was screwed in properly or some important fuse doesn't blow. I know I have to get over it. As well as stop watching airline disaster shows.

That being said, I have been to some 30-odd countries. I traveled a lot as a kid. Even though I am from the US, I spent much of my childhood in South East Asia during the 1980s. I lived in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Indonesia. I didn't realize it till recently, but I believe I lived in that area of the world when it was still exotic, but starting its exotic decline. I went to India, Nepal, Sir Lanka, Maldives, Australia, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea as well. And as kid I appreciated little of it, although now I fully grasp how awesome it was. I say that, because for example, when I lived in Indonesia at the time, there was nothing. I mean, like an hour of TV each day, and few imports from our home countries. There was so little to do, and I hate the culture, my friends and I used to jump the fence to the school we went to (Jakarta International School) on the weekends to find things to do. Imagine that. I lived there for three years, and couldn't wait to leave. Now they have McDonalds and cable TV with 400 channels like everyone else.

However, I went to an international school. Just about everywhere we lived had one, so I had friends from everywhere from Denmark to Brazil to Australia. I grew up around a lot of different people and it was awesome. I also saw part of the world untouched by man. I mean, we visited islands you only see in magazines where I was sure the fish were seeing a human for the first time. I caught an octopus with my hands 10 feet from the shore, played with him for half and hour, and let him go. Try finding that anywhere in the coastal US. And now, unfortunately, a lot of those places I went are probably polluted or built up by now. I could go on and on about some of these places and what I saw.

Within the last few years, I got the opportunity to go back to India (Mumbai) for work, and also back to China (Hong Kong) for vacation. The changes over the years didn't escape me. The two things that floored me where the amount of people in both places (and therefore lack of space), and how much everyone wants what the west has. I was surprised walking around the financial district in Hong Kong, how all the ads and billboards feature western (white) models showcasing Rolex to Tiffany's, almost saying, if you want to appear successful, you have to look western and buy western products. What was gone was many of the older buildings with asian architecture, handmade arts and crafts, and everything else that made it exotic. The only thing that made Hong Kong different from any other city was the racial make up of the population. Granted, I spent a lot of time walking around Mong Kok and that certainly has an older Hong Kong feel, but give it time. McDonalds, Nike, Columbia, all over the strip in Kowloon, you would have thought I was walking in a US mall. And in the case of India, right outside our offices there was a Dominoes Pizza, Chili's Bar and Grill, and something else I can't remember. The point is, this part of the world no longer felt exotic. I even picked up a magazine showcasing interior design in Hong Kong, and everything looked like it was bought from Ikea. And the handmade arts and crafts are long gone, replaced by cheap cellphone covers and other cheap plastic crap mass produced in the Chinese mainland. They have lost their 'art' if that makes sense. The guy who made figures our of clay in his fishing village has a son who doesn't want to make clay figures, he wants a job at the iPhone factory. That kind of thing.

The world is getting small. I have seen the future, and its pretty overpopulated with people. Sci-fi writers of the 1960s nailed it. And where humans go, poverty follows. Poverty that is impossible to describe. Children growing up in trash who don't know any better. Entire slums manufacturing whatever they can from the crap thrown aside by the upper classes. And this is everywhere. I don't care how hard you have it in the US, you don't know poverty. The fact you can turn on your tap and out comes potable water is a luxury BILLIONS on this planet will never have. We really live in another dimension here. Its no wonder so many want to come here.

I have been to Europe, Central America, the Caribbean as well, although I haven't been to Greece or Italy, which I probably would love. I have been all around the US too. I traveled around parts of the US just in my SUV by myself, sometimes with a girlfriend, and it was some of the best times of my life. I have owned three Mustangs, but my Ford Explorer is my favorite car of all time:

I would typically stick to campgrounds, but if I couldn't make it to one, my backup plan was:

Breakfast in Utah:

Breakfast in the Smokeys:

My problem with arriving somewhere is that I don't want to see tourists. I don't want to rush through tour bus stops. My ideas of travel is to rent an SUV and drive around on my own like I did in the US. Eat where the locals eat, drink where the locals drink. But that isn't always safe either. I don't really want to go to countries that don't speak English either or have a corrupt legal system, so that rules out a lot.

I guess I am drawn to places where I could rent an SUV for three weeks, and bounce around staying at small hotels or campgrounds and taking in the country and landscape. I would love to drive around New Zealand, Australia, and Scotland if I could, and visit the more-remote places in those countries.

And I think bouncing around the islands in the South Pacific would be cool too. What more would you need besides a backpack?

And Cuba before Starbucks and McDonalds moves in.

I guess I have come to realize that the last exotic places on earth are the ones not built up by man. And with all the pollution, trash, climate change going on, I don't know how much longer these places will remain as they are, and those are the ones I seek out the most. And so much of it is fenced off private property.

If you think like me, I can make a few recommendations... one of which is Grand Teton. I love this place. Its right outside of Jackson, WY, and even has Jackson Hole Airport pretty much in the park. Lots of campgrounds there. It gets overshadowed because Yellowstone is just north of it. The best part is most of the visitors don't hike deep into the park, so once you get away from the crowds its an amazing place. Here is a pic of me in Cascade Canyon on the way to Solitude lake:

Grand Teton is worth googling. And since I mentioned Yellowstone. . . let me say this. Yellowstone is a unique place. You will see some crazy things there, from the Geysers to literally boiling mud. I came across boiling mud on a trail and it freaked me out. I learned later a wolf fell in some, and eventually died a painful death a week later. It can be a dangerous place. But that is what makes Yellowstone great. Its getting off the figure 8 and the morons stopping traffic because they see a wolf 2 miles away. Its not a zoo but people treat it like one. Def spend some time at places like Old Faithful and so one, but set time aside for lesser known trails, and that is where the magic is at. And that is the problem with Yellowstone, its just too big. You could spend a month there and only scrape the surface. And if you just stick to the road, you'll miss 99% of it.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2019, 03:14:09 PM »
Found one of my fav pics on my phone. This was taken in Arizona. I love northern Arizona. I have been to the Grand Canyon 4 times. Camped at it, stayed at the el Tovar, and hiked almost down to the bottom (getting out is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do).

But driving on the open road, with a full tank of gas... no traffic. I didn't see another car for miles at a time. I had to take this picture as I was driving along.

But now when I look at it, I only see the fences on either side of the road. All that space, and you are limited to a strip of it. This is what I mean about the world getting smaller. And lame!

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2019, 12:03:38 AM »
Wow KTG17. That last pic. Wow.

This morning my boys agreed to help me with a bit of research for my warhammer campaign. The Skaven are making an appearance so I took my lads down into the under-city of Chester to find out what we could about life down there!

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2019, 12:47:08 AM »
Yes, cool!  I want to visit Padre, or at least where he's been exploring lately.  :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2019, 12:36:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing KTG. You are right in the way the world is getting a bit more samey. We went to Singapore 6 years ago and it was kinda like that - more standardised.
Where is Australia did you go/live?

Cool picture (and place to explore) Padre!
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2019, 10:01:44 AM »
It's the canal side beneath the city walls of Chester. My dad lives there and whenever we go to visit the boys want to do an early morning circumambulation of the city's circumvallation! This time we did stretches below the walls also instead of staying on the parapet. Of course, being boys (me included),  we always stop at a certain wooden park to play for half an hour or so. All this buys time for Ruth to do what women like to do at the start of the day!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Von Zorn

• Members
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2019, 11:19:47 AM »
The under-city looks like a fun place to explore. I assume your adventures didn't escalate into hunting Skaven in the actual sewers!

There are meant to be catacombs beneath our Cathedral, which I'd love to explore! Speaking of which, I was there Friday evening as my sister was in a show that was on there, specifically the musical Oliver Twist. I do love these old buildings at dusk:

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2019, 09:44:14 PM »
Oomph. That is nice. In response to your medieval Holy Place, Von Zorn, I'll show you another 'holy place', the stone circle (in Albion) I took my boys to a couple of weeks ago (actually in the woods near Masham, Ripon, called the 'Druids Temple' and built by a Victorian magnate to give the locals some paid work to do!)

The pile of stones you see here went all the way up to the heavens. Honest! You believe me, don't you?

My brave boys even entered the dark cave of an inner sanctum beyond the second layer of circle, where a great sacrifice stone lay! (I told the boys the stone was where the faeries and goblins had their feasts.)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:46:51 PM by Padre »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2019, 09:48:30 PM »
Wow, Padre is taking his boys to visit that island place off the coast of Marienburg somewhere up there. :icon_eek: :icon_wink:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2019, 10:23:32 PM »
This looks like a good reason to visit Belgium ...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wallonia+belgium&FORM=HDRSC2

The W-E Bash over there is another. :icon_wink:

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2019, 03:45:00 PM »
My wife is being head hunted for a job potentially in Thousand Oaks CA. I did a google of Thousand Oaks CA and found this home on the market for $29.9 mil

It looks like a Roman Senator lived here! Or a Spanish Count.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/100-W-Potrero-Rd-Thousand-Oaks-CA-91361/96115130_zpid/?

Seriously, go through those pictures. I live as a caveman in comparison.   :Ohmy:

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2019, 05:19:51 PM »
Damn, you would need a whole staff to take care of that house. Imagine all the dusting that would have to be done.

I spend a lot of time looking at rich people's houses in Colorado. Here's a sample:

https://www.christiesrealestate.com/sales/co-usa/price-high-sort

I dream of owning my own valley, with owning the peaks around it, so I am the only one it it, and I see no lights from other houses.

The houses aren't even what I am looking at, although its nice then there is a nice house. But I would happily live in a trailer for some of these views and properties.

I don't need much! Just like $50 million!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2019, 02:05:58 PM »
Been to Colorado a couple of times.  Once when I was too young to really appreciate it and hardly recall it.  Second several years or more after college when the trip wasn't enough, and would love to return at some point.

- - -

This looks like a nice place to visit ...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Yorkshire%2c+England

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2019, 05:04:16 PM »
Padre country GP  :biggriin: