home

Author Topic: Arcanschloss Ravenguard - GW Huntsmen  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Rune

• Members
  • - Fullplates and halberds -
Arcanschloss Ravenguard - GW Huntsmen
« on: May 22, 2014, 07:26:48 AM »
Hello all!

It seems like every time I post some pics here I start off with "pay in mind it's been SO long since I've last painted...". Maybe it's true then - I haven't really painted that much or regularly for years!

Thankfully I got really interested in Warhammer again through that ancient gem called Dark Omen. Check it out if you haven't. It was loads of fun and reminded me of the better notions of Warhammer. And then a mate came back from his around-the-world trip by January and immediately fired up a local leagueish tournament.

Which was super loads of fun, but that's a story for another time.

I think I posted some colour scheme musings of my Ravenguard of Arcanschloss a month or so back, but I don't remember what I wrote back then. Anyways, the story goes like this in a nut shell: Arcanschloss lies in the more remote parts of Western Talabecland, and was devastated by one of those undead incursions that plague Empire occasionally. The invasion was thwarted easily enough, but Arcanschloss was overrun  before the empoeror had time to react sufficiently. Bad luck, it's the worse part of fate.

Grandbelos took in the refugees, lead by now widowed lady Melanie Scholl, an arch mage and stern leader, made sterner yet by the misfortunes of her people. She's an accomplished scholar and wizard, but also an independent ruler and a versatile politician, even though she is often overlooked because of her gender. Something she has learnt to use to her advantage as well.

Anyways, it's becoming time to reclaim their lost lands from the undead, left infesting the countryside without meaning or purpose. Talabecland or anyone else has had no resources to really reclaim the remote lands, and lady Scholl has been left to her own devices. Now with the help of Grandbelos they just might have a chance if she can find allies in the local barons and lords.

So much for background. You came for the models.

Melanie Scholl herself is an old paint job. From years back. But I revisited her a bit when I started painting Ravenguard. She's nothing fancy, but I thought I'd take new pics just for reference.

Melanie Scholl

From the back
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/Kraus-88/figuja/9.jpg

The Ravenguard are metal Perry men at arms with polearms, at £7 per 6 models. For what they feel and look it's a bargain really.

The sculpts are awesome, but the molds have some minor issues. Firstly the metal is a wee bit soft, so I'd imagine the polearms will bend a bit in use. But that might be an issue of storage. I'll have to think of something for that. Additionally there are some chunks of metal in the trickier places, like where the shafts of polearms or scabbards of swords meet the legs. Some of those are impossible to remove, but they might be a result of the sculpt. Some of those details might be really fragile without those chunks. It's just they present challenges in painting, because they're not really a part of the models themselves. I just kinda ignored them painting them black or blending them into metal or something.

I worried the yellow and red on tabards would be too sharp, but they work better than brown I tried as well. You can see that in the first pic here. Will repaint it. Those tabards are good space for free hands and transfers as well.

So that's roughly 18 models with a filer ogre, and might work as a detachment atm. Once I'm finished they'll number 40, and will make for my first ever horde. I'll cheat four models with the ogre and four more with mounting three models on 20x80 bases. It's kinda stupid though, since I paid roughly 10e for six of those bases from ebay (including postage), which would've given me an extra 6 models of these if I would've ordered some more once I did the rest. Oh well.

What I'm a bit worried about is that my Grandbelos is rather starkly painted in Altdorfish colours, and while I'm enjoying the fluff of an army-wide detachment (will be eventually free company and mercenaries, 20 greatswords and these 40 halberdiers, maybe some archers or something) I'm worried it'll look stupid on the field with different colour schemes. Maybe it won't. At least both Arcanschloss and Grandbelos emphasize on red rather than the secondary colour. I began rebasing my Wolfenstein as well, and thankfully they're painted mostly in reds and browns as well, but still, the coherency of the army might suffer slightly.

Hopefully it won't.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:05:39 AM by Rune »
"Oh, to hades with the manners... He is a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise

The Imperial duchy of Grandbelos
Wolfenstein, the Cult of Ulric
Magocracy of Arcanschloss

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Arcanschloss Ravenguard - Perry men@arms polearms
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 07:11:16 PM »
wow those fit in nicely  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Salsa

• Members
  • Total nuisance
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
Knowing your Grandbelos troops and how they're painted, I am personally bit worried that yellow sets then too apart from rest of the your army.
But I like especially how armors on those minis and especially those gold trimmed black parts, makes them really standing out as a unit. :D

Offline Rune

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 06:46:06 PM »
Well, I tried the models as some archer proxies since I'd borrowed mine own to a mate, and they didn't stand out that much alongside the rest of the army. :) The red and more neutral tones might help with that.

You might know since you saw them there. ;-)

We'll see how it goes once the unit is completed.

And, while we're at it, I got 20x80mm bases from ebay, and had to clean up and assemble the rest of the models. I even undercoated them. Won't start painting them anytime soon though, I guess, since I'd like to finish those 12 huntsmen in the background first (and yes, it's a standard bearer you're seeing ;-) ) and those halberdiers will take roughly a week's painting to finish. A batch is either 5 models or a filler of 4, and it'll take a whole day to finish a batch. And there's 5 batches to finish. Slowly and steadily.

I managed to take a few hurried photos of the assembled unit. Fillers are filled with some random stuff, like huntsmen arrows, a raven on a signpost and mordheim hounds.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/Kraus-88/figuja/1_11.jpg

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/Kraus-88/figuja/1_12.jpg

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/Kraus-88/figuja/1_13.jpg

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/Kraus-88/figuja/1_14.jpg

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/Kraus-88/figuja/1_15.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing the unit once it's finished. :-) It's pretty majestic.

And my girlfriend will work on the banners. She managed well with my demigryph banner, and handmade is always better than printed and photoshopped.
"Oh, to hades with the manners... He is a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:29:03 AM »
The Perry sculpts are great but the casts are often defective. I had to cut off several scabbards and replace them with those from the plastic infantry set.

I supplement my Greatswords with Mirliton figures, but if you wait a few months Perry should be releasing their plastic men-at-arms box which will easily give you a horde in a box.  :-D

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 01:33:53 AM »
Those Perry miniatures look sweet & you've done a great job painting them!   :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline Rune

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 05:51:29 AM »
The Perry sculpts are great but the casts are often defective. I had to cut off several scabbards and replace them with those from the plastic infantry set.

I supplement my Greatswords with Mirliton figures, but if you wait a few months Perry should be releasing their plastic men-at-arms box which will easily give you a horde in a box.  :-D
That's true. Thankfully the models are just rank&file and most of the problems in casts are shadowed by their numbers. And most of the models are fine. :) The sculpts are so cool I don't mind THAT much. But you're not wrong about the defects.

Still drooling over the plastic men at arms... Half a year ago I sent them email about the box and they said it'd be between a year and two before they're out. A month ago they released new greens, so the box is coming! I'm anticipating it 'round January, probably.

That'll be sweet...

Thanks for the comments, mates. :-)
-Nalia De'Arnise

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 06:09:16 AM »
I am hoping for a Christmas release.  :-D

Offline Rune

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 03:51:44 PM »
Slow and steady.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/Kraus-88/figuja/ravenguard3.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/Kraus-88/figuja/ravenguard4.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/Kraus-88/figuja/ravenguard2.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/Kraus-88/figuja/ravenguard1.jpg

Only 5 more minis to go.

And we just started discussing Griffon formation on our local forums. And it seems I'd really, really need to have 10 more of these guys. :-D What have I done!

Anyways, two months since I started, Ravenguard's really close to being finished now. I've done some additional stuff while at it, however - like 12 huntsmen and some extras for my pistoliers. I'll try to take some pics of them as well. The huntsmen are finished (bar the banner) already.
-Nalia De'Arnise

Offline Rune

• Members
Re: Arcanschloss Ravenguard - GW Huntsmen
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 07:10:43 AM »
Finally got to take some pics of my Huntsmen.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/Kraus-88/WP_000031.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/Kraus-88/WP_000030.jpg

Pics were taken on a Nokia Lumia 800 (I suppose), and I'm surprised the camera is this good once you fiddle around with options. Then again this is my first new school phone - this far I've only messaged and called people, and that's all a phone was supposed to do. :-D Definitely not perfect, but decent.

The banner isn't done yet, and I'm looking for a suitable musician. I'm planning on getting some metallic renaissance archers from Foundry though - these days you'll never get too many archers in your army, and I'm rather worried about the plastic. The kit is pretty good, I'll give them that (I love the swords and how realistically they're proportioned especially), but it's still plastic and there's good chances the arrows and bows won't last too long in cases. What's good about metal is that it won't break.

But yeah, these guys are ready for duty well enough. Then I'd just need to work those last 5 Ravenguard guys...
-Nalia De'Arnise