home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 636690 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 11:17:44 PM »
Julian makes his way to Klaus to help carry the beers.

'ah I wonder if this is good and hoppy. All the best beers are. Then again all the best beers are dwarven! Ha'

Julian guffaw at his own jest. He loves to teae humans about dwarven superiority, more joking than serious.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 11:30:48 PM »
The barmaid rapidly pours out six flagons of beer and puts them in front of Klaus with a thud that splashes him with foam. She demands the money in the same brisk way she asked for his order. Once he's paid, she hurries off to serve another patron.

The bald man has gone by the time Klaus returns to where he was (most likely he's gone outside to relieve himself). Instead, he finds Julian waiting to help carry the beer. The two of them leave the beer tent and join the others at the table outside.

Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 11:43:58 PM »
Hurray Beer!  :::cheers:::

Heinrick takes his and gulps down a huge swig, then wipes the foam from his mouth and sets the flagon down with a thunk.

"Well, since we're here during Schaffenfest, we may wish to take in some of the festivities! I'd like to make my way over to the Festival Courts to see if the locals need an extra hand in exchange for some coin, but that can wait until we've enjoyed some of the revelries."
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 04:14:43 AM »
Klaus too gulps down several large swallows before he states:

"I definately want to see the Freaks....always liked watching those, incredible with what wonders the gods filled the world. I also would like to visit the gamblers den I have a feeling that Ranald is watching over me today. Anyone up to join me?`"

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 11:16:12 AM »
Mortus sips the beer and then pushes it away from her.   She leans back.

"I would be interested in a little game of luck," she says quietly.   "But I also need to find a walking stick.   I will wander around the stalls for a while first."

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 02:33:46 AM »
"I guess it would be best if we at least stay in small groups....that fat baldy won´t be the only drunk bully who is out for some fight."

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2012, 03:54:55 AM »
Heinrick finishes his beer with a gulp, then lets out a loud belch.

"Alright, we three can make our way to the merchant stalls. I'd like to see what kind of armor they have. I'll head over to the Festival Courts on my own, then try to secure us some lodging for the evening, though I doubt we'll find a spare bed left in this town. We can meet up back here just before nightfall. Friedrick and Julian? Care to join us?"

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2012, 10:48:38 AM »
I'd like to go ti the entertainment and see a fortune teller... I'm happy to go on my own unless friedrick wants to join me? If not I'll meet you at the merchants stalls later.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2012, 10:37:08 PM »
Julian sets off by himself towards an area of the fair that is packed with entertainers. An Arabian fire-eater is astonishing a group of children by projecting jets of multi-coloured flames from his mouth. Nearby, a singer accompanies himself on the lute as he sings 'Sigmar and the Goats,' a popular but disgusting folk tune.

As Julian wanders around, he notices a dog trainer who has taught four dogs of different sizes to stand on each others backs to make a dog pyramid. An especially raucous crowd surrounds two woman dressed as pantomime knights, riding large pigs in a mock joust. One of the woman is knocked from her mount and lands in a pile of dung, to the great hilarity of the crowd.

Shaking his head at the bizarre behavior of humans, Julian decides to look for a reputable-looking fortune teller. He is surprised to see a tent decorated with dwarf runes, and goes to investigate it. Inside, he discovers a dwarf sage seated behind a crystal ball.

"Come in sir," he says, "I am Sven Axewarden, Seer and Astronomer. It is good to meet a brother dwarf - I see by your clothing that you also live among the humans. They are strange people, are they not? Difficult to understand and to like." He smiles, and then gestures towards the crystal ball. "Yet you have not come here to talk of humans. You seek to know the future! You have chosen well by entering my tent: my divinations are of the highest quality. And for a brother dwarf, I will charge only two shillings."

Julian agrees to pay [presumably]. As he opens his money bag, he discovers that the draw string is loose! Eight shillings are missing, probably stolen while he was watching the entertainers [successful pickpocket test by thief]. Since there is no chance now of recovering the money, he puts it out of his mind and pays Sven the two shillings.

"Thank you sir, sit down, please. This will take but a moment."

Sven stares intently into the crystal for some minutes. His brow furrows, and a look of confusion passes across his face. "I see a dark place - narrow, and by water. I see a death there... wait, there is more... I see the sign of the rose, red with blood... I see terrible danger." He looks up suddenly, his eyes wide. "You should leave this town, brother! There is evil here - unnatural evil."

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:43:38 PM by Midaski »
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2012, 11:04:12 PM »
Heinrich, Mortus, Friedrich and Klaus set off for the merchant stalls. The dog is still following Mortus, until suddenly a large ram charges past, having apparently escaped from the livestock market. The dog races off after the ram, and is soon lost to sight. Two red-faced farmers run past, also chasing the ram.

Carrying on, they reach the merchant area just as a four-man watch patrol is leaving it. The watchmen wear leather armour surmounted by a yellow tabard bearing the town's coat of arms, and two of them carry halberds. One of them glares suspiciously at Klaus, but on seeing the richly-dressed Friedrich beside him he looks away and the patrol continue on their way.

A wide variety of goods are on sale at the various stalls. A bald man with a disturbingly wide mouth smirks at the group as they pass his herbalist's stall.

Heinrich is interested in buying armour, and finds a well-stocked stall run by a tall man with an Ostermark accent. He sees a fine sallet helm for sale - the Ostermarker is charging 10 GC, but perhaps Heinrich can bargain him down [Cannon, please make a Fel test].

Mortus wants to buy a weighted walking stick that can serve as an effective club. After asking at a couple of weapon stalls, she finds one run by a ginger man with a deep scar across his face. He offers her a very acceptable walking stick - but he wants 15 shillings for it, which seems expensive [Commandant, also make a Fel test to lower the price!].

If Klaus and Friedrich are interested in buying anything specific, they can do so now.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:43:56 PM by Midaski »
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2012, 11:20:49 PM »
Mortus weights up the stick.   (Fel 71)

"I was looking for something slightly longer," she says.   "Maybe as tall as me so that I could tie a bag to the top when I'm walking.   Would you have something like that"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2012, 11:29:27 PM »
The man snorts and turns his back on Mortus as he searches his stock. He knocks over a box of scrap metal, some of which lands on his foot, causing him to curse loudly. A moment later he slams a longer walking stick onto the counter in front of her. "Longest one I got," he grunts, "cost 17 shillings. Want it or not?"
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2012, 11:42:24 PM »
"17 shillings is a lot," Mortus says picking it up and examining it.   "Though the craftwork is very fine."   She feels to see if it is weighted at one end.   "I could give you 12 for it?" she offers.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2012, 11:44:20 PM »
The man glares at her for what seems a very long time. Then he says "14."
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2012, 11:52:51 PM »
"Fourteen seems a fair price" Mortus says.   She hands over the money

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2012, 12:00:10 AM »
The ginger man takes the money without a word, and hands over the staff. It's a good weapon and should serve Mortus well [counts as a hand weapon].

While Heinrich is bargaining over the helm, he suddenly feels something tugging at his money pouch. He reacts at once, spinning around and grabbing for the pickpocket's wrist [failed pickpocket test by thief, successful Dex test by Heinrich]. The thief is a scrawny young man in ragged clothes. He struggles against Heinrich's grip, but is unable to escape. "Please let me go sir," he says, "I dint mean nothin by it! Me hand brushed up on your purse. Honest sir!"

It occurs to Heinrich that he could turn the thief in at the Festival Court, since he was planning to go there anyway, and possibly receive a reward. He might need a witness though - Klaus and Friedrich are nearby and saw enough of what happened. But maybe it isn't worth the trouble.
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2012, 04:59:35 AM »
Heinrich smirks at the boy. "If you meant nothing by it, you shouldn't have tried it!" Heinrich smacks the boy heavily across the face, sending him whirling into the dirt. "There are men who would cut your hands off for less than that, but I am not overly concerned with petty thieves, else I would drag you to the festival courts myself." Heinrich tosses a pair of shillings into the dirt next to the boy. "Go get yourself some food and find a less dangerous occupation."

Having dealt with the little cutpurse, Heinrich secures his coin purse more tightly than before and tucks it inside his tunic for extra safety, cursing at himself for not doing so earlier. He should have known such a crowd would attract thieving riffraff from miles around.

Having secured his coin Heinrich inspects the Sallet helm more thoroughly, and makes an offer to the vendor: "The quality is adequate, but the price is a bit too steep. Surely you could part with this for only 5." (Fellowship 51)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2012, 08:38:29 AM »
The thief struggles up to his knees, blood pouring from his broken nose. He grabs the two shillings Heinrich threw to him, stands and scurries off, muttering 'Ranald bless you sir."

The armour stall owner looks at Heinrich with a trace of respect. Nevertheless, he refuses to lower the price on the helm. "I can't sell that for no less than 10. But I got another one as might suit." He rummages around under the counter and produces another sallet helm. This one is less well-made, but clearly more than solid enough. It's been painted black to prevent rust. "6 crowns for this one. Special price for you."
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2012, 08:54:01 AM »
The thief struggles up to his knees, blood pouring from his broken nose. He grabs the two shillings Heinrich threw to him, stands and scurries off, muttering 'Ranald bless you sir."

The armour stall owner looks at Heinrich with a trace of respect. Nevertheless, he refuses to lower the price on the helm. "I can't sell that for no less than 10. But I got another one as might suit." He rummages around under the counter and produces another sallet helm. This one is less well-made, but clearly more than solid enough. It's been painted black to prevent rust. "6 crowns for this one. Special price for you."

Heinrich considers for a moment.

"Hmmm, how about I give you 12 for the pair of them?"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2012, 09:00:55 AM »
The man looks surprised. "What for, you got two heads pal? Still, your choice. I'll sell you the pair for 12 crowns."

Heinrich is fairly sure he's made a good buy here. But he's spend most of his money.

[are you ready to head to the court, and are you going alone?]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:04:01 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 09:06:55 AM »
The man looks surprised. "What for, you got two heads pal? Still, your choice. I'll sell you the pair for 12 crowns."

Heinrich is fairly sure he's made a good buy here. But he's spend most of his money.

[are you ready to head to the court, and are you going alone?]

Heinrich tucks the helmets away in his rucksack, advises his companions that he's off to the courts, and sets out, feeling happy about his successful haggle, and looking forward to recouping his spending with a little bounty chasing.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »
The Festival Court is at the far end of the fair, near Bogenhafen's postern gate. Heinrich leaves the packed area around the merchant stalls and passes through a more open - but still bustling - space. On his left, he sees a roped-off area that looks like a wrestling ring. A garishly-dressed showman is trying to encourage people to fight the champion - a mountain of a man who is drenched in sweat and breathing heavily, as though near exhaustion.

"Step this way and make five whole crowns! Just last three minutes in the ring with the champion. Only five shillings to try your strength - turn that into five gold crowns! Or even ten if you win the fight! You can't lose! How about you sir? No? You'll kick yourself later you missed this chance. How about you? Show the lady what a man you are!"

A small group of drunken nobles has gathered by the ring, and one of them accepts the challenge. He strips off his silk shirt and leaps into the ring -  he looks like a child compared to the enormous champion. Heinrich chuckles to himself - he's seen this stunt many times before. The champion is only pretending to be tired, and will beat the young noble easily. Serve him right too.

Heinrich continues walking. A large crowd is gathering on his right, near a group of covered wagons. There's a brightly painted sign on one of them that he can't read, but another outlandishly dressed showman is standing on a box and addressing the onlookers.

"In just one hour, Doctor Malthusius's world famous Zoocopeia will be open for your education and astonishment! One shilling buys you entry to the wonder of the age! See creatures from your darkest nightmares and your wildest dreams! Don't miss the chance of a lifetime! The show begins in one hour!"

Passing the freakshow, Heinrich at lasts arrives at the Festival Court. The court (held in a large tent with the town's arms on the side) has been established to handle disputes and crimes taking place at the Schaffenfest, to avoid overloading the town courts. A single magistrate enacts summary judgements - usually fines, but the alternative for those who cannot pay can be seen outside the court. On a wooden platform are two sets of stocks and a whipping post. One set of stocks is currently occupied by a filthy, pathetic-looking dwarf. His face is bruised, and a giggling pack of children are throwing horse dung at him.

Two watchmen armed with halberds guard the entrance to the court. They allow Heinrich inside when he tells them he is a bounty hunter looking for work.

Two more guards are inside the tent, flanking a ratty-looking boy of about seventeen. A grey-haired, stern faced man who can only be the magistrate is seated behind a heavy desk. "Hans Stiller, you have been found guilty of theft to the value of five crowns, fourteen shillings and two pence. You are hereby fined the sum of ten crowns."

"I can't pay that, your worship. I ain't got no money - that's why I stole what I did."

The magistrate bangs his staff of office on the desk. "If you cannot pay, you are sentenced in the alternative to two dozen lashes at the whipping post. Take him away."

The boy is dragged outside, begging pitifully for mercy. The magistrate looks at Heinrich, and says, "You are a bounty hunter, I presume? Speak to the clerk."

Heinrich is approached by a small man with beady eyes and ink-stained fingers. "Most of the bounties are handled by the town court" he says, his voice high-pitched and condescending," but we have one job on the books. This morning, one Jan Buchner of Carroburg was arrested under suspicion of attempted murder. He assaulted Viscount Philippe de Savoie of Paravon at the jousting lists, and left the Viscount bady beaten. He protested his innocence, naturally," the clerk pulls a face, as if the concept of innocence disgusts him, "but he broke away from the guards before his trial could be completed, and escaped into the town. You may be able to find him in the docks, since he arrived in town by boat."

The clerk looks through some papers. "Here is a description - ah, you cannot read, I suppose. Allow me: Jan Buchner, aged about twenty-seven. Medium build, height approximately five foot eight inches. Brown hair, short. Clean-shaven. Brown eyes. Pox scars on face. Strong Middenlander accent. Wearing an unbleached shirt and brown hose. He is a fugitive from justice, and so may be returned dead or alive. The bounty is 40 crowns. It's important that this job is completed quickly. The honour of the town is at stake."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:44:20 PM by Midaski »
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 12:37:42 PM »
Heinrich takes the paper, though the clerk is correct that he cannot read it. He repeats the description the clerk gave him to himself a few times in order to commit it to memory. "Sir, if I may ask, dwarfs are not well known for their dishonesty. What is that one's crime?" Heinrich gestures at the tent wall in the general direction of the dwarf in stocks outside.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2012, 12:46:20 PM »
The clerk looks briefly mystified. Then he remembers: "Ah, the dwarf. One Gottri-" he consults his papers "Gurnisson. Arrest for extreme drunkenness and offenses to public decency. His fine is only one crown, but he can't pay and so will remain in the stocks for a good few hours more. Unless someone pays if for him of course!" The clerk laughs, as if the idea is absurd.
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2012, 01:00:56 PM »
Having made her purchases Mortus will make her way over to the festival court.   Her moneybag firmly inside her tunic.