home

Author Topic: New scratch build machine  (Read 12236 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
New scratch build machine
« on: June 05, 2012, 10:25:16 AM »
My engineers, guided by a learned company of mages, have begun engineering a new war machine. Although they are as yet in the very early stages, experimenting with various possibilities from the bits box, allowing the machine to take shape according to whatever satisfactory plastic opportunities present themselves, I wanted to show you a WIP picture ...

Can you guess what it will be yet?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
Re: New scratch build machine
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 10:46:22 AM »
Yes an orrery me thinks  :happy:
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline diMarko

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:47:03 AM »
Skavens dumbell thingy?   :-P

Offline borgar

• Members
  • Make war not sense
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:03:50 AM »
it looks to me like some sort of optical focusing array.
not too unlike our Luminark
As for borgar - you sir are a genius.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »
Aww, King, diMarko - you guys! You're being silly. Dumb-bells and Orreries! As if a series of lenses aligned in series could become either of those. You jest, I am certain.

BTW, I always strive to have my scratchbuilds in a more 'working' form than the official kits. Like how does an Ironblaster reload? Mine has a platform for the gnoblar to scurry around. And my scraplauncher actually worked - until I stained the wood and it seized up. This one was inspired by an illustration from a book about historical scientific instruments to have a screw allowing one of the lenses to move, thus to change the focus. I like my magic 'low'. I like my magical artefacts to look like they need 'natural philosophy' and engineering alongside to achieve an effect.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:43:33 AM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »
Mount a LED in it! You have to! And have it focus on enemy minis, leaving bubbles of molten plastic behind as you scorch your way through the enemy regiment at speeds of up to several mm per hour!  :::cheers:::

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline borgar

• Members
  • Make war not sense
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 01:03:21 PM »
Mount a LED in it! You have to! And have it focus on enemy minis, leaving bubbles of molten plastic behind as you scorch your way through the enemy regiment at speeds of up to several mm per hour!  :::cheers:::

Shadowwolf
I must say i have pondered creating a functioning art-piece for a luminark myself.
however, leds can be a bit weak, depends on how much light you want.
A laser would be sweet but getting an amber laser is next to impossible in small scale i believe.
if you're fine with red, go for it!

You've sparked my interest Padre, i hope to see more soon.

i can't not sig that! :biggriin:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:10:34 PM by borgar »

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 12:30:40 AM »
Green lasers are possible too.

I look forward to seeing this completed. Very nice work so far.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 12:31:48 PM »
Aww, King, diMarko - you guys! You're being silly. Dumb-bells and Orreries! As if a series of lenses aligned in series could become either of those. You jest, I am certain.

Ok I will try again...........its a steam tank right?  :icon_wink:  Joking apart Padre your work is always excellent so I am looking forward for your luminark  :::cheers:::
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline Heinrich Kramer

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »
Is this glued or just screwed together. I'm sure you've though of it but it could be fun to undercoat if already glued. Anyway nice job so far; I will watch with interest.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 02:32:38 PM »
Some more progress.  I think this will be a rather long term, keep a-fiddling with my bits (ooerr, missus!) type project.

@ Heinrich Kramer - the screw which I used to give the impression the engine can be focused differently is indeed holding it together so I can unscrew, paint, then put it all back again.

@ borgar and Alleton: I wish I had the technical ability to make a working laser device, but alas, I shall simply be making this one to look like a working thing, not to be one. It is all an illusion. (Cue eery music ...) Oo ... oooo .... oooeeeoo ... (eery music fades away for add break).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 02:37:28 PM by Padre »

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 11:04:08 PM »
Looking really good! Is it going to have wheels or something else?
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline gwidders

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 03:07:15 AM »
Can't wait to see how this develops!
Looks awesome so far :)

Offline Stolzeuhu

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 07:35:11 AM »
My nephew has similar toy - I mean, not the luminark, that green gear to draw circles :)

Keep up the good work, it's great idea, that kind of warmachine would fit in low fantasy armies perfectly!
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order -- luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck." - Roald Amundsen, possibly about battlegaming

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 08:49:54 AM »
You could include a mirror at the rear, to direct sunlight into it. That way you could still make it work and you'd have acredible energy source!

Too bad the undead usually attack at night...

Shadowwolf

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 09:10:07 AM »
You could include a mirror at the rear, to direct sunlight into it.

That's a brilliant idea (excuse the pun). Now 'simply' need to find a suitable mirror. If I can't, well - I'll mount one later.

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 09:18:31 AM »
I bet you can find a very cheap makeup mirror with chromated plastic that you can butcher for this :-) Easy to cut and sometimes even comes concave as well!

Shadowwolf

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
  • Commander Black Griffon
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »
Green laser.....def green laser.

Blind your opponents and have them run screaming, with flailing arms from the gaming table...... ::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic::

....muahaha....muahaha....(evil guy laughter)
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon
Komtur Templar Knights of Taal
"...I want milk in my Khorne flakes..."

Offline dublindawg

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »
All you need to make a mirror is a piece of concave plastic, paint the outerside silver then black.  There is a Star Wars game out there that has lil hard rubber figures that come with a clear plastic ball that splits in half, that might work.

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 05:51:11 PM »
Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and I'm sure other craft stores have little mirrors of different sizes and shapes for art projects.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 12:38:19 AM »
I need to find some way of making a parabolic mirror of my luminark (link in my plog in the sig) - it needs to be about an inch around and concave. I am also considering two flat mirrors in front of the piece, pointing backwards so that the weapon can fire when the sun is behind the Archimedes mirror.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 09:33:29 AM »
More progress on this machine. I really wanted a look of functionality and machine-ness, but in a steampunky style.

From one side ...

From t'other side ...

Wheels are fashioned from plastic discs with greenstuff squashed on and scored to look like wood. Lots of fiddly wooden bits involved. May add more machine bits, like levers and wheels. Might use my already painted carroccio horses.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 11:04:24 AM »
nice

could you use a series of magnifying glasses to direct a potent beam of light onto you game opponents body at will?

give him a little sly burn if things aren't going your way?!

::heretic::
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »
Progress so far - the base, crew and draft horses are still WIP

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 06:16:29 PM »
most unique style on this forum no doubt !

:::cheers:::
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.