home

Author Topic: Kickstarters - Ongoing list  (Read 30258 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Kickstarters - Ongoing list
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 12:49:07 PM »
and when the TV series finishes in 2 years time, you end up with a game based on a non-popular culture hyped media ie the gw lotr and hobbit games...

not convinced!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Kallstrom

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 01:16:01 PM »
"Non-popular culture hyped media"? Well, each to their own, I guess. :) The game is based on the books, and not the tv-show. Of course one cannot foresee the future, but one can hope that the game will still will be fun and exciting for people that are fans of the books and the ASoI&F-universe. Otherwise you end up with miniatures you could always use for other games, like Warhammer, Ninth Age, Kings of War, Frostgrave etc.

This does not have to convince you, and backing a Kickstarter is always a risk (even though more established companies like Cmon often is a safe bet), but only time will tell how this game will fare. I am hoping for the best, since I long for a rankNfile-game that is not over-complex, and combining that with the tactics deck gives me a cozy Triumph & Treachery-feel, which feels nice. It will add some more random element to the games, which spice things up and makes each game a little more unique. ;)
"A leader that leads from the rear takes it in the rear!"

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
I didn't mean asoif or LOTR aren't good, just that once the tv/film ends they lack the widespread "popular culture" boost they gained from the tv/film.

asoif has always been good, but it was not like this in terms of popular culture recognition until the TV show.
In the same way that LotR and Hobbit books are still really good, and available for people to read. but the cultural seepage of them has slipped back down after the films were finished being released.

Of course asoif has 2 more books to be published which might re-hype for future releases... if you think GRRM is ever going to finish writing them.

that's what I meant, I didn't word it that well in the above post.

the minis are nice and the game looks fun, I hope you enjoy it!

Pass the machete.

Offline Kallstrom

• Members
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2017, 01:51:14 PM »
Yeah, they will probably not get a surge of hype like we are used to with the tv-show running from time to time, but as you say the coming books might generate some more interest. Hehe, but yes who knows if we will get those books or not - GRRM might fall off the deep end before that happens, unfortunately. :)

Aye, I hope that I will enjoy it too! Otherwise I will just use the miniatures for other games, so I think I will manage to come out on top from backing this Ks no matter what happens to the game in the future, which at least for me justifies spending the amount of money they are asking for. Cheers!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2017, 02:43:04 PM »
The figures seem to look good, but I've got so many unpainted figures already! :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2017, 04:51:19 PM »
Agree on what you wrote above on the ASOI&F game niche in the market. Thanks for these insights. :)

Is there a size comparison of the ASOI&F figures? Their proportions are rather realistic, so they might fit better with historical minis than the flamboyant fantasy-anime that rules these days in popular fantasy figures (like, the Bones kickstarter mentioned above). Could they be more like the 'true-scale' 28mm than the 'heroic'? (Of course some of them are big for obvious reasons, like the Mountain).

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2017, 05:08:10 PM »
The faq says theyre 32 mm. So probably a bit large. The mountain probably will tower over a normal guy but that's rather fitting.

Offline Kallstrom

• Members
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 05:42:11 PM »
Some size comparisons. I think the last picture is more how they compare to historical miniature sizes. :)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 07:39:21 AM »
In the bottom picture, looks like a reaper mini in the middle (?), and who makes the metal figure on the right?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Kallstrom

• Members
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 09:23:11 AM »
The "metal" figure on the right is Rob Stark from the Kickstarter, but he is made in plastic, he just has a metallic coat of paint on him. ;)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »
Pretty tall & large, then. Their 4x3 infantry movement tray is probably the size of a traditional 5x4 movement tray, if not even larger.

Wouldn't fit with any of my existing armies/projects. Already many Reaper humans are too tall or thick. A skip for me. But many thanks for the comparison photos!

-Z

Offline Kallstrom

• Members
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »
No problemo, the game and the miniatures cannot be something for everybody, after all! :)

The tray sizes are 14cm wide x 12cm deep for infantry, and 14cm wide x 12,5cm deep for cavalry. So the trays are larger than their counterpart when it comes to usual Warhammer sizes!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2017, 02:26:17 PM »
On another note, I just realized the taxman won't dig as deep into my purse as he did the last two years. Do I have some extra moneys on the payday of my new job?

Oh my, these Kickstarters must have known that...

:lol: :roll: :engel:

-Z

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 01:14:15 PM »
I didn't realise they were a different scale...

I also really think theh should have brought this out 4 years ago. They would have been able to ride the financial success better while the TV series airs. This time next year and its all over for the mass market - they will only be left with the book readers.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Kallstrom

• Members
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2017, 09:07:46 AM »
The next season will probably be 1,5 years in the future, and this game will be released around april, so hopefully there will still be time to build a playerbase while the hype is going and when the game is a little more established I think it will be fine. If you like a game, its lore, and the miniatures you won't mind sticking to it, right? New fluff content is sweet and all but like with Warhammer people could still enjoy the game and get more new blood into the hobby even if new fluff was not on the horizon. But we will have to see, and I'll keep my fingers crossed. ;)

Last day of the kickstarter btw (15 hours to go), if anyone wants to get in on it! Less than $1 per miniature in the Starter Box now!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/a-song-of-ice-and-fire-tabletop-miniatures-game/description

And 2 other reference pictures to show size comparisons:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:59:00 AM by Kallstrom »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2017, 02:29:59 PM »
Those show the scale much better I think. Thdy don't look like they tower over Warhammer guys anymore.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2017, 03:22:26 PM »
Those show the scale much better I think. Thdy don't look like they tower over Warhammer Age of Sigmar guys anymore.

:wink:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2017, 01:25:37 AM »
Those show the scale much better I think. Thdy don't look like they tower over Warhammer Age of Sigmar Warhammer: Age of Sigmar guys anymore.
:wink:
:icon_wink:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
The LAM Bruegelburg kickstarter is going strong, with some really nice unlocked stretch goals/add-ons. Part of the older series is also available as add-ons now.

The Reaper Bones 4 seems to go as usual. Hard to see what I'd do with so many more generic/special figures, but it's already become a sweet deal.

Only problem is these run at the same time...

-Z

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2017, 07:29:46 PM »
I was pretty pumped when Reaper 4 started, but I'm actually losing a bit of interest. It's a sweet deal and the models are great, but I've backed the past two so I'm kind of drowning in adventurer models and the more generic stuff. This one doesn't have quite as many big things or special things grabbing my attention. The core set and the expansions have great value, and the Dreadmere one especially has me interested.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »
..... and now for stereotypical Amazon Bloodbowl figures ........................  :engel:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/894396662/amazon-smashers-amazons-and-humans-for-fantasy-foo/description

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2017, 07:14:09 PM »
 :icon_lol:  I had to laugh in seeing "Chronos The Big Guy".

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2017, 11:21:16 PM »

Pass the machete.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2017, 07:12:23 AM »
Matt had a similar game we tried out last Christmas - have you seen that?
It was heroes trying to beat baddies, and so a bit limited in objectives, but needed some tactical nous.

Plus delivery in April next year is a bit close to Bash potential dates - given the way most of my recent kickstarters have gone.  :closed-eyes: