home

Author Topic: Dwarfs: Traditionalism and blandness  (Read 18662 times)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: Dwarfs: Traditionalism and blandness
« Reply #200 on: September 01, 2009, 03:42:11 PM »
Than you donīt play close combat dwarves that rely on them direly....or you play against empire often and your gyro is shot down by a volley of the nuln great cannon corps.

Other than that they are the "BEST" light cav in the game as they can always move 20 " have the highest base ld of all light cav units in the game and also have the highest toughness of all light cav units in the game.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #201 on: September 02, 2009, 11:39:07 AM »
Gyrocopters are brilliant, I rarely leave the hold without one whereas organ guns and flame cannon are interchangable

Nothing like doing a single wound to your enemy block then watching him run in fear...
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2009, 10:08:40 PM »
Gyrocopters are not very good. Organ guns are gun-tastic, and laugh at the feeble helblaster.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #203 on: September 02, 2009, 11:08:39 PM »
Gyrocopters are brilliant

Then take one and an organ gun.  It still doesn't change the fact that a decent Dwarf player will crush cavalry.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

• Members
« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2009, 11:16:50 PM »
As an enemy of dwarves I had the opposite experience, the dwarves crushed my infantry with easy but my knight armies went quite well against them as it is better to be in close combat with a couple of units fast against gunline dwarves.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2009, 02:50:04 AM »
My knight army crushes nearly every dwarf foe it meets (been a while).

but then it's probably due to my 3 cannons and 2 stanks...
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

• Members
« Reply #206 on: September 03, 2009, 05:43:28 AM »
And there again jump in the 4 bolt throwers....and a gyro also can keep a stank busy at least for one turn but that sucker also escaped my knights even as he was only 1 inch away  3d6 flight distance CAN end up 18 inch.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #207 on: September 03, 2009, 04:04:22 PM »
Most dwarf armies I face have 2 organ guns, 4 BT's, an engineer on a cannon, 20 crossbowmen, and the rest are a unit of longbeards, a unit of hammerers, and warriors.

Pretty tough for an army to grind that with cavalry.

Phil

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2009, 05:30:31 PM »
That is one hell of a gunline to phase, Philly. Or shall I say artillery line. No amount of infantry can make up for that.

Sad that you face such cheesy gits.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2009, 06:15:58 PM »
What do people think of this 2250 point list? I'm thinking of writing a list then just painting the entire lot. The way I paint armies will result in never finishing if I don't paint certain units specifically. Then taking it to any tournaments or such I might ever play in. It's not supposed to be very cheesey but it'd be nice if it was reasonably competant.

Characters:

Dwarf Lord: Great Weapon, Shieldbearers, Gromril, Rune of Stone. 181

He has 93 points left over to rune himself up.

Thane: Hand Weapon, Battle Standard, Gromril, 1+ Save, 1x Re-Roll Save. 140

Plan is for him not to die. Goes in the Ironbreakers.

Dragon Slayer: Slayer Axes 50

I sliced the crap out of my hand converting the bastard. I'm going to use him.

Runesmith: Hand Weapon. Gromril. Shield. 72

+1 Dispel Dice.

Core:

25 Warriors: Hand Weapon. Shield. Heavy Armour. Command. 225

25 Longbeards: Hand Weapon. Shield. Heavy Armour. Command. 300

15 Warriors: Hand Weapon. Shield. Heavy Armour. 120

10 Thunderers: Guns. Shields. 150

10 Quarellers: Crossbows. Shields. 120

2 Big blocks and a smaller flank guarding block. The shooters could get involved if I get desperate with their shields.

Special:

20 Ironbreakers. Hand Weapon. Shield. Gromril Armour. Command. Rune of Courage 320

No fear or terror. Should stay around. Hammerers are usually standard but I'm quite taken with Ironbreakers.

2 X Bolt Throwers. Enginners 120

10 Miners. Picks. 110

I don't know why I like Miners but I do.

Grudge Thrower. Rune of Re-Roll Scatter. 105

I prefer rock throwers to cannons. Everytime I take a cannon it kills perhaps 2 knights. I figure the bolt throwers are supposed to do that. There's something satisfying about dropping large rocks onto tiny creatures.

Rare:

Gyrocopter: Buzzzzzzz. 140

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Dunrik

• Members
  • Alexander von Wolfenberg
« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2009, 06:31:04 PM »
it is a nice and basic list. I wouldn't add anything to your lord yet, unless you have some points leftover in the end.
RoStone and 1 or 2 spellbreakers should go to your Runesmith.
A RoCleaving might go to your BSB for some extra punch.
I love the slayer, just make sure he doesn't meet a to quick death to missiles :wink:
Core is fine, but i think I would have added a magic standard to the Longbeards (RoStoicism or battle, or even courage with another cheap rune)
Special looks goo as well, though I would have added at least RoPenetrating to one of the BTs. Brace of pistols for the engineers could be a good idea if you have the points

Cheers

Dunrik
RIP Rufas/Ironmonger

"You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks."
Napoleon Bonaparte

My blog, http://wolfenbergtimes.blogspot.com/

• Members
« Reply #211 on: September 04, 2009, 07:18:53 AM »
Most dwarf armies I face have 2 organ guns, 4 BT's, an engineer on a cannon, 20 crossbowmen, and the rest are a unit of longbeards, a unit of hammerers, and warriors.

Pretty tough for an army to grind that with cavalry.

Phil

Quite average dwarven list, still I would prefer to face it with knights instead of infantry sluggers. Usual empire knight lists also have great cannons to go with them. I would try to get rid of the organ guns ASAP and to reach the line in turn 2 with at least three better four elements. There will be one Master rune of challenging the other 2-3 elements will charge crossbows or even better war machines, those have to accept the charges as dwarven crew never may run. If I have no rubber lances with me I usually kill the crew (hatred priest helps a lot) and I can often even wheel charge into the flank of an infantry block or another war machine. If I know I am going against dwarves three great cannons and dual helstorms will show them what real artillery is worth.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #212 on: September 04, 2009, 11:13:54 AM »
What, as in all knights?  What will that do?  The BT's will shoot anything that gets its flank around, and everything is tucked in behind blocks.  There is only one Empire knight unit that can really dig through a block of dwarves, and then only if it is whole on arrival.

I found outshooting them worked well.

Phil

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #213 on: September 04, 2009, 01:30:55 PM »
Maybe that is where the shoe hurts, Philly. That the only thing that works is outshooting the enemy, something I donīt think is that fun in the long run.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2009, 01:34:35 PM »
Well thats the irony. When myself and Willx play his knights are the only thing that can reliably beat me in one round. They roll through a unit and try to go off the board. My units are stronger and better but I can't compete with that one combat resolutioned unit. Although it certainly suggests good things for hammerers. I'm allways tempted by hammerers and the banner of you litterally can't break for a turn. (1 d6 dice break test)

Mogsam
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

• Members
« Reply #215 on: September 07, 2009, 09:04:57 AM »
What also works nice enough is the rune of challenge on your king so those knights go where you want them to go (except the Grand Master lead unit that is for that one you need the gyrocopter to send them on a fools crusade in the woods and open them for nice flank shots with your bolt throwers).

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #216 on: September 07, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »
God that rune of challenge is pure hate when it is tucked in a unit of hammerers...

Lord Karnik used that on my griffin riding elector once.

Phil

• Members
« Reply #217 on: September 07, 2009, 11:51:51 AM »
It is also nice to get rid of HE Dragons, come and charge into your doom or flee the battle!   :biggriin:

I still think it is fair for dwarfs as the Sirensong for demons is same price and you can have as many as you have hero choices.